PDA

View Full Version : Best ALU Power copycat...

Doubles
11-22-2010, 02:47 PM
I am learning that the more I play, the more I like ALU Power Smooth. So what I'm wondering is which string is the best copycat? Typhoon seemed pretty close, but I have heard some people say that CyberFlash is also a similar string. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I just don't want to have to pay the full price for ALU...

tennisfreak565
11-22-2010, 03:05 PM
I think Weiscannon Silver String would be a good(maybe better) cheaper alternative.

Doubles
11-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it out soon...

[d]ragon
11-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Typhoon has similar bite and elasticity but much more pop. Cyberflash is alittle closer in terms of the lower power but not the elasticity and bite. Both have somehwat similar feel

My suggestion: Typhoon in the mains, Cyberflash in the cross
Pop and spin from Typhoon while tuning the extra power with the Cyberflash

Doubles
11-22-2010, 03:57 PM
ragon;5204548']Typhoon has similar bite and elasticity but much more pop. Cyberflash is alittle closer in terms of the lower power but not the elasticity and bite. Both have somehwat similar feel

My suggestion: Typhoon in the mains, Cyberflash in the cross
Pop and spin from Typhoon while tuning the extra power with the Cyberflash

But then it becomes almost as expensive as ALU. I'd rather just buy one string that's close enough as is...

kiteboard
11-22-2010, 04:13 PM
The uber hitters all use it: Full bed: Tsonga, Gulbis, Delpo, Berdych, Soderling,

hybrid: Fed alu rough/cross, Murray/vs cross, Joker, vs/alu, etc.

Nothing really feels like it. Some say it's a special string, but I found it better crossed with barb wire than a full bed. Cf is too gooey, and tens. loss is worse than alu for hard hitters, so that's out. The teflon it's infused with allows it to stretch, and snap back fast, when first strung, but like a formula one race tire, it lasts about a 1/2hr until the teflon burns off the surface. The pros only use it for that amount of time for a good reason.

Doubles
11-22-2010, 04:15 PM
The uber hitters all use it: Tsonga, Gulbis, Delpo, Berdych, Soderling,

hybrid: Fed alu rough/cross, Murray/vs cross, etc.

Nothing really feels like it. Some say it's a special string, but I found it better crossed with barb wire than a full bed.

Okay. I'm not sure what that has to do with my question, but thanks...

airman88
11-22-2010, 04:46 PM
But then it becomes almost as expensive as ALU. I'd rather just buy one string that's close enough as is...

It doesn't become almost as expensive, it becomes even cheaper. You just buy reels of each and it is really cheap. Like $3 for a half set of typhoon and $2 for cyberflash. Thats like just over 5 bucks a stringing instead of 17.

flashfire276
11-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Revenge is really similar to ALU Power, except it has much longer life. But it is really expensive....

I think the best string (for the price) that's similar is probably Big Hitter Blue. Same power and durability, except much more softer.

tennisfreak565
11-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Revenge is really similar to ALU Power, except it has much longer life. But it is really expensive....

I think the best string (for the price) that's similar is probably Big Hitter Blue. Same power and durability, except much more softer.

Very true. I would reccomend Tourna Big Hitter Blue or Silver String if you want a non-textured string. Hope this has helped!

Doubles
11-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Very true. I would reccomend Tourna Big Hitter Blue or Silver String if you want a non-textured string. Hope this has helped!

Yeah. I'm definitely interested in Silver String...

pvaudio
11-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Since I own all of the strings I'm about to recommend, I'll recommend them in order:

1. Weisscannon Silverstring
2. Topspin Cyberflash

They are both softer than ALU, but I think both are far superior in every aspect.

Cup8489
11-23-2010, 08:59 AM
How much pop does Typhoon have?

I used ALU Power in a full bed in my radical, the only time i've ever used that setup, and I was amazing at the properties of the string. It really had alot of pop for a poly, but I could keep it in the court no matter what. If Typhoon has similar bite, but even more power, I may just have to give that string a try, as the stirngs I've been trying haven't even come close to the ALU

coincidentally i am going to be trying a set of the big hitter blue rough in a few days, although i'm not sure if it will be full bed or a 'champion's choice' hybrid yet.

airman88
11-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Make sure you try the typhoon in gray, the blue seems to have much less pop. The string that imitates the pop (or really the ping) of ALU the most is Tour bite. And the power level as well. But I personally think typhoon outdoes them with some extra power and ball pocketing.

Kunohara
11-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Silverstring easily.

DrpShot!
11-23-2010, 12:26 PM

IMO Big Hitter Silver is closer to Alu Power than BHBlue.

flashfire276
11-23-2010, 02:11 PM
IMO Big Hitter Silver is closer to Alu Power than BHBlue.

Aren't they the same thing besides color??
But I never got the chance to use Silver in a full bed, so I couldn't comment on that.

laboule
11-23-2010, 02:14 PM
My vote goes to Toalson Cyberblade Thermaxe which if I remember correctly was, or is, used by Gaston Gaudio. I also think he played with Big Banger before that.

chaddles
11-23-2010, 02:17 PM
I seriously cannot believe that there are people out there who believe that Typhoon (lol), Silverstring, Cyberflash etc. are actually BETTER than ALU Power.... I hear it all the time with guys who bring in reals of Solinco & Cyclone etc. who try and tell me that it is better than Lux. The only reason they say that is because they are too tight to buy a reel of Lux, and the funny thing is when they buy a new racquet and I offer a free restring it is always Alu Power or Alu Rough.....

To answer your question Doubles - NOTHING plays like Alu Power, and you will find that out if you try these other strings. It is a unique Poly Ether Ether formula that was discovered while Luxilon was developing some sort of conduit for a NASA project (or something along those lines), and someone thought they would try it as a tennis string due to it's properties. There are only a handful of people who know the formula, and there is a good reason why most companies have tried to replicate and compare there products to Luxilon.

There are plenty of strings that will play really well such as the ones mentioned, and I personally really like PHT, Touch Turbo, PLII as alternatives to ALU & M2 Pro - but they are no where near the same standard as the Lux's. As for the durability issue, I have so many customers who use it because it lasts so long and they love the playability right up until it breaks.

pvaudio
11-23-2010, 02:45 PM
I seriously cannot believe that there are people out there who believe that Typhoon (lol), Silverstring, Cyberflash etc. are actually BETTER than ALU Power.... I hear it all the time with guys who bring in reals of Solinco & Cyclone etc. who try and tell me that it is better than Lux. The only reason they say that is because they are too tight to buy a reel of Lux, and the funny thing is when they buy a new racquet and I offer a free restring it is always Alu Power or Alu Rough.....

To answer your question Doubles - NOTHING plays like Alu Power, and you will find that out if you try these other strings. It is a unique Poly Ether Ether formula that was discovered while Luxilon was developing some sort of conduit for a NASA project (or something along those lines), and someone thought they would try it as a tennis string due to it's properties. There are only a handful of people who know the formula, and there is a good reason why most companies have tried to replicate and compare there products to Luxilon.

There are plenty of strings that will play really well such as the ones mentioned, and I personally really like PHT, Touch Turbo, PLII as alternatives to ALU & M2 Pro - but they are no where near the same standard as the Lux's. As for the durability issue, I have so many customers who use it because it lasts so long and they love the playability right up until it breaks.
I have every iteration of Luxilon's polys, and I mean every iteration from M2, Adrenaline, all forms of ALU and TiMO. Alu power is the reference standard, but it is just that: a standard. You are either better or worse than it. There are dozens out there these days that are better.

Oh and before you go hyping the life out of ALU, please keep in mind that Luxilon wouldn't even exist were it not for Weiss Cannon.

airman88
11-23-2010, 02:55 PM
I think one reason many people who are big hitters including myself love the newer generation of polys like typhoon is because they were always stringing too tightly and these new strings have more power and are softer. I originally felt uncomfortable with the idea of dropping my tension so low with ALU, especially when it drops tension so quickly. So most of us were playing with ALU at too high of a tension and letting it drop to the desired tension so it would last longer, thus it was dead by the time we had it at a good tension.

big bang
11-23-2010, 03:09 PM
I have every iteration of Luxilon's polys, and I mean every iteration from M2, Adrenaline, all forms of ALU and TiMO. Alu power is the reference standard, but it is just that: a standard. You are either better or worse than it. There are dozens out there these days that are better.

Oh and before you go hyping the life out of ALU, please keep in mind that Luxilon wouldn't even exist were it not for Weiss Cannon.

Could you please explain the bold part? thanks.

pvaudio
11-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Could you please explain the bold part? thanks.Weiss Cannon is called such because the first iteration of the company was called Se Weiss that just sold general tennis products. A few years later, they changed to Cannon who, among other things, was the first distributor of Gamma strings. Most relevant to this, however, they were the company that introduced, marketed for and distributed all Luxilon tennis products in Europe in the beginning. Extrapolate a bit: Luxilon is a Belgian company. Cannon distributes Lux. Luxilon gets known, and people forget about Cannon. The name Weiss Cannon is just a portmanteau of the founders' names and the Cannon company name.

yourname1245
11-23-2010, 04:51 PM
chaddles is right it is hat good and many people will say it dies quick and thats y the pros string it so much thats evidant. I wanna say that theres a reason that not many pros play anything else but lux or havent change since they started with it. This being sed also look at how rpm blast has pulled some people over and thats weird since years have pasted without a string doin this, but in the end people want the lux that fed murray and djoko play and theres nothing like it if u can afford it and understand what it can do compared to its competitors.

pvaudio
11-23-2010, 05:05 PM
chaddles is right it is hat good and many people will say it dies quick and thats y the pros string it so much thats evidant. I wanna say that theres a reason that not many pros play anything else but lux or havent change since they started with it. This being sed also look at how rpm blast has pulled some people over and thats weird since years have pasted without a string doin this, but in the end people want the lux that fed murray and djoko play and theres nothing like it if u can afford it and understand what it can do compared to its competitors.No, buddy, it's called sponsorship. Rafa plays RPM. All of a sudden, it's the world's greatest poly. It's not worth half its price. Lux and Bab have the money to sponsor top end players, thus, top end players use their products. If Technifibre or Polyfibre or Genesis offered to sponsor you, you'd take it in a heartbeat. I'm not saying that pros like Federer are out there playing with Lux when it's not the best, I'm saying that Lux is paying him so much money to use their string and get their name associated with him that he'd be a fool not to. Wilson does the same with their racquets, but they want Roger all to themselves. Curious then, that Roger's VS/ALU setup is now magically Wilson Natural Gut/ALU when in fact the two guts are 100% identical.

However, when you have plenty of money, you can do whatever you feel like. As an example, I wouldn't say that Davydenko is exactly a shoddy player, so why is he using Polystar?

Mattingly
11-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Silverstring easily.

I agree with you. Except the SS is softer offers more feel and holds tension better.

The ALU gives more spin and power.

yourname1245
11-23-2010, 06:38 PM
your right on the sponsorship but... what wud a guy like sam querry wawrinka benifet from switch from lux to rpm. they got paid from lux im sure and then they tried a string that is better playing for them and they decide to switch. just like they dont switch racquets they dont switch strings, its part of there job and they dont need to be tryin new string and throwing off there game for a few extra dollars in sponsors. im not sayin it doesnt happend and djoko did it with head but at the same token for a single string to have caught a few people its doing something right...

yourname1245
11-23-2010, 06:39 PM
and thats besides the money factor of how much they get paid or how much the string cost im talking just playability

airman88
11-23-2010, 06:42 PM
because at the time they came out they were definitely far and wide a superior string. And now they have money to pay off pros and it has caught on. The pros using the stuff does not really have any relation to the quality of products, except for maybe a few pros that might be more interested in quality. Just look at racquet selection, the pros aren't even using the actual rackets that they say that they do. Rafa for example doesn't even really use RPM I don't think.

pvaudio
11-23-2010, 06:43 PM
your right on the sponsorship but... what wud a guy like sam querry wawrinka benifet from switch from lux to rpm. they got paid from lux im sure and then they tried a string that is better playing for them and they decide to switch. just like they dont switch racquets they dont switch strings, its part of there job and they dont need to be tryin new string and throwing off there game for a few extra dollars in sponsors. im not sayin it doesnt happend and djoko did it with head but at the same token for a single string to have caught a few people its doing something right...
RPM is a better string, IMO, than ALU anyway, so maybe they agree. Either way, people aren't going to run out and buy the string or racquet that Stanislas Wawrinka plays with. Roger Federer, yes. In other words, their sponsorship deals aren't really relevant to this discussion.

pvaudio
11-23-2010, 06:46 PM
because at the time they came out they were definitely far and wide a superior string. And now they have money to pay off pros and it has caught on. The pros using the stuff does not really have any relation to the quality of products, except for maybe a few pros that might be more interested in quality. Just look at racquet selection, the pros aren't even using the actual rackets that they say that they do. Rafa for example doesn't even really use RPM I don't think.I was just about to say, I'm assuming that while the strings are the same as what you can go out and get, the string choice isn't nearly as large a pull as the racquet choice. People buy the APD because Rafa uses it and the BLX 90 because Federer uses it. Unfortunately, neither racquet is in any way similar to what they are actually playing with. Just looking at either racquet next to a retail model shows that. Hell, even Xavier Malisse and Kei Nishikori use manufacturer customized frames.

fluffy Beaver
11-23-2010, 07:38 PM
No, buddy, it's called sponsorship. Rafa plays RPM. All of a sudden, it's the world's greatest poly. It's not worth half its price. Lux and Bab have the money to sponsor top end players, thus, top end players use their products.

About half of the top 100 use Lux and you say they use Lux because of sponsorship, then why doesn't anyone have a stencil? It's your opinion there are many better strings out there, but pros still end up using Lux. I'd choose that the pros themselves choose to use Lux over sponsorship.

fluffy Beaver
11-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Either way, people aren't going to run out and buy the string or racquet that Stanislas Wawrinka plays with.

Maybe not in your area. You should really state it's your opinion rather than sounding like it's a fact.

slice it
11-23-2010, 07:47 PM
About half of the top 100 use Lux and you say they use Lux because of sponsorship, then why doesn't anyone have a stencil? It's your opinion there are many better strings out there, but pros still end up using Lux. I'd choose that the pros themselves choose to use Lux over sponsorship.

What he was saying (I think) is that RPM was a string that became popular (for a short period of time) based almost solely upon hype and sponsorship and not as much performance. No doubt is RPM overpriced. Lux on the other hand is a string based on performance and pro's use it solely upon that premise.

airman88
11-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Maybe not in your area. You should really state it's your opinion rather than sounding like it's a fact.

Everyone knows everything written on these boards is opinion pretty much.

mcshift
11-23-2010, 08:10 PM
solicno tour bite.

airman88
11-23-2010, 08:18 PM
solicno tour bite.

+1. Everyone is comparing typhoon but that is like ALU power rough not ALU power. Tour bite reproduces the ping and power level of ALU power.

kiteboard
11-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Some of the cheap nylon reminds me of alu, such as forten nylon.

airman88
11-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Some of the cheap nylon reminds me of alu, such as forten nylon.

Or VS team natural gut, just a slightly softer version of ALU

kiteboard
11-23-2010, 08:22 PM
No, buddy, it's called sponsorship. Rafa plays RPM. All of a sudden, it's the world's greatest poly. It's not worth half its price. Lux and Bab have the money to sponsor top end players, thus, top end players use their products. If Technifibre or Polyfibre or Genesis offered to sponsor you, you'd take it in a heartbeat. I'm not saying that pros like Federer are out there playing with Lux when it's not the best, I'm saying that Lux is paying him so much money to use their string and get their name associated with him that he'd be a fool not to. Wilson does the same with their racquets, but they want Roger all to themselves. Curious then, that Roger's VS/ALU setup is now magically Wilson Natural Gut/ALU when in fact the two guts are 100% identical.

However, when you have plenty of money, you can do whatever you feel like. As an example, I wouldn't say that Davydenko is exactly a shoddy player, so why is he using Polystar?

A lot of people like it. He's using it because he wins with it, not due to payment.... I would play with the best string I could, the one I feel most confident with, or I would lose more often, and blame it on the string...

airman88
11-23-2010, 08:46 PM
A lot of people like it. He's using it because he wins with it, not due to payment.... I would play with the best string I could, the one I feel most confident with, or I would lose more often, and blame it on the string...

But he would never use a string from another company, even if it was better. Otherwise, he might try something from genesis or Solinco or something like that. They just couldn't pay him anything let alone the huge some from babolat and its a business. They do make him a string that he likes though, I am fairly certain his is custom like anything else. And it is definitely not a bad string, most people complain about tension loss more than anything. I just don't see any way that it is not due to payment; look at what the college players are starting to use, solinco. And when price and tension maintenance aren't an issue, we aren't really looking for the same characteristics as the pros anyway so this whole conversation is moot.

dr325i
11-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Have not seen anyone mention Tourna Big Hitter -- definitely feels ad behaves similar to the Lux ALU at 1/2 the price, though I found it a little bit softer...

kiteboard
11-23-2010, 10:31 PM
But he would never use a string from another company, even if it was better. Otherwise, he might try something from genesis or Solinco or something like that. They just couldn't pay him anything let alone the huge some from babolat and its a business. They do make him a string that he likes though, I am fairly certain his is custom like anything else. And it is definitely not a bad string, most people complain about tension loss more than anything. I just don't see any way that it is not due to payment; look at what the college players are starting to use, solinco. And when price and tension maintenance aren't an issue, we aren't really looking for the same characteristics as the pros anyway so this whole conversation is moot.

A few of us will string on a hope and a prayer, to find the perfect set up, and those of us who do, don't care about cost, or time, or anything else but finding it.

airman88
11-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Yea but most people dont even know what strings they have in their racket, just that rafa supposedly uses them. And they have the matching racket and shoes too.

Doubles
11-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Have not seen anyone mention Tourna Big Hitter -- definitely feels ad behaves similar to the Lux ALU at 1/2 the price, though I found it a little bit softer...

It was mentioned. It's on my list with Cyber Flash and Silver String...

dr325i
11-26-2010, 05:11 AM
It was mentioned. It's on my list with Cyber Flash and Silver String...

sorry, must have missed it...

Doubles
11-26-2010, 05:53 AM
sorry, must have missed it...

No problem. I'm hoping that I like Big Hitter Silver or Cyber Flash, because those are rather cheap compared to the others.

kensan
11-27-2010, 10:10 AM
I've been searching too, but I haven't found any string close to ALU power's characteristics.

I've tried SPPP, Big Hitter, Spiky Shark, Blue Gear, cyberflash. With the exception of Spiky Shark, those all play similarly to BB original. Which isn't a bad thing. It's just not ALU.

Not to mention when I string up those others, they don't have the same elastic property. They feel more plasticky like BBO, to me anyway.

I'll keep trying here and there, mixing in a trial set in between ALU jobs, but so far I haven't found anything to replace ALU.

ClubHoUno
11-27-2010, 11:12 AM
I've been searching too, but I haven't found any string close to ALU power's characteristics.

I've tried SPPP, Big Hitter, Spiky Shark, Blue Gear, cyberflash. With the exception of Spiky Shark, those all play similarly to BB original. Which isn't a bad thing. It's just not ALU.

Not to mention when I string up those others, they don't have the same elastic property. They feel more plasticky like BBO, to me anyway.

I'll keep trying here and there, mixing in a trial set in between ALU jobs, but so far I haven't found anything to replace ALU.

I agree.

Some polys have better tension retention than Alu, but not by that much (people in here exaggerate how fast Luxilon Alu lose tension compared to other polys, even SPPP and Pacific XForce lose tension fast - all polys lose tension fast, Alu just a little bit faster than the best regarding tension retention)
But no poly plays quite like the Alu does.

ace0001a
11-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Some polys have better tension retention than Alu, but not by that much (people in here exaggerate how fast Luxilon Alu lose tension compared to other polys, even SPPP and Pacific XForce lose tension fast - all polys lose tension fast, Alu just a little bit faster than the best regarding tension retention)
But no poly plays quite like the Alu does.

It's all relative I suppose as it's true that any poly dies fast compares to a good multi, synthetic and definitely compared to natural. With that said, ClubHoUno, don't you hybrid it as a cross with Natural Gut mains? With all due respect, the effect of Luxilon (or any poly) dying fast in that kind if setup is far less noticeable than in a full job or if you hybrid with poly being the mains. I don't think people exaggerate when they say Luxilon dies fast considering so many people feel that way.

And with regards to the topic, cost can be a factor here for alot of people too. I'm with the people who says nothing feels like Luxilon ALU, but that the other strings already mentioned in this thread can be "similar" in feel and cheaper...and I always interpret that as similar, but not the same of course.

ClubHoUno
11-27-2010, 02:54 PM
It's all relative I suppose as it's true that any poly dies fast compares to a good multi, synthetic and definitely compared to natural. With that said, ClubHoUno, don't you hybrid it as a cross with Natural Gut mains? With all due respect, the effect of Luxilon (or any poly) dying fast in that kind if setup is far less noticeable than in a full job or if you hybrid with poly being the mains. I don't think people exaggerate when they say Luxilon dies fast considering so many people feel that way.

And with regards to the topic, cost can be a factor here for alot of people too. I'm with the people who says nothing feels like Luxilon ALU, but that the other strings already mentioned in this thread can be "similar" in feel and cheaper...and I always interpret that as similar, but not the same of course.

I agree - I don't feel the Lux dies as fast when used as cross in a natural gut hybrid, but I also from time to time play with a full Alu Rough job, and I still get 4-6 good hours out of that. Granted I don't hit with as much spin as some 5.5 and above players, this of course also effects on how fast i feel the Alu dies.

When you look at the numbers, and i know numbers don't say everything, you still have a lot of polys out there, that have poorer tension retention than Alu.
In fact a Lux string called TIMO has excellent tension retention if you look at the numbers and also when you play with it.

I just feel that some tend to exaggerate how fast Lux dies, because it becomes cheaper for them if it works that way, if you know what I mean :lol:
The same with how rain affects natural gut and how fragile natural gut is. If people really tested VS natural gut they would experience a string that can be used in mild rain with no problem and it outlasts all multis in durability several times.

Not saying Alu has great tension retention, but it's not that bad compared to the average copoly out there.
RPM Blast, Spiky Shark and Tour Bite has tension retention comparable to Alu Rough for instance.....

Macedo
11-29-2010, 04:56 AM
Pro's Pro Cyber Power Titan, no?!