PDA

View Full Version : Vokl Cyclone?

tennisfreak565
11-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Any one tried this string? I've been recommended it and i'm planning on getting it cuz of the low price but any tension reccomendations (yes i know tension relies on your racquet, playing style, ect.).

goran_ace
11-22-2010, 04:06 PM
One of my favorite strings right now. Great bite, reasonable prices, but a little on the stiff side so I would string it maybe 2 lbs lower than your normal tension for a poly and if you have any sort of arm issues put in a soft cross.

Jonny S&V
11-22-2010, 04:12 PM
One of my favorite strings right now. Great bite, reasonable prices, but a little on the stiff side so I would string it maybe 2 lbs lower than your normal tension for a poly and if you have any sort of arm issues put in a soft cross.

Agreed, well worth the price.

tennisfreak565
11-22-2010, 06:08 PM
cool can't wait to try it along with blue gear ultra! as soon as i get my credit card back(got hacked :( ) ill order them and tell you what i think.

pvaudio
11-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Got a reel on the way, will be in my playtest thread.

verite
11-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Coincidently, just strung up Cyclone 18 a few days ago myself. Maybe a buzz is building. Normally I play with NXT, so I thought this would be very stiff, but it's a fairly soft poly (just string -2 lbs from what you would string a multi).

Good power - not as much as gut or NXT, but massive amount of spin and pretty good at the net as well.

I may try mixing with NXT on the crosses next time, but for now I'm really happy I tried the cyclone. Plus, the black strings have a nice intimidation factor.

aggietex08
11-23-2010, 09:05 AM
I use Cyclone 18g in a cross. Even in a cross it hads a ton of spin while still being soft enough for my TE.

verite
11-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Hey Aggie, what other string / tension do you use as your main with the Cyclone? I'm not smart enough to decipher the rubric in your footer!

Carolina Racquet
11-23-2010, 03:00 PM
I echo the favorable comments concerning Cyclone. It's a little stiff, but you get great spin and durability. I've played the 17g and the 16g. Both have great playability.

I've strung at 3lbs lower tension. I can live will a little more "trampoline" because I hit with topspin on both sides and the string does the rest.

The Big Kahuna
11-23-2010, 05:51 PM
I love this string. I like the 17g in mains strung low - 46-48 lbs - and Yonex 850; Mantis Comfort; Tourna Quasi Gut; and /or Prince Recoil (for more spin) in the crosses about 10% higher. It plays very close to textured polys twice the price (or more) - a great value. Very comfortable at lower tensions.

TheBoom
11-23-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm interested in this string. Hows the durability?

aggietex08
11-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Hey Aggie, what other string / tension do you use as your main with the Cyclone? I'm not smart enough to decipher the rubric in your footer!

Right now I am using Head FXP Power 16g at 58 in the main with Cyclone 18g at 54 in the cross. The others are not using cyclone in the cross. I usually only keep one stick with a poly in the cross because it does cut through the mains fairly quickly. I use this stick only for matches. I've found cyclone has a good ability to be in a hybrid very well. I have used TF Ematrix, TF X-1 Biphase and now Head FXP power in the mains. All played very well. I am trying to find my go to main string but I am going to have my pratice raquets crossed with Rip Control (low powered multi that is ribboned so it helps with string movement) and Cyclone for my matchs.

tennisfreak565
11-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Dang i can't wait till i can order them! lol but so Cyclone in the mains or crosses? I was thinking about doing a full bed at 55 but if i like it i'll probably try it in a hybrid so in the mains or crosses?

Carolina Racquet
11-24-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm interested in this string. Hows the durability?

Durability is good. I used the 17g in my mains string at 58# in a Prince 110 stick. Though I play with heavy topspin, it lasted 6 weeks before I replaced because my crosses were about to break.

I did have one bad durability string job with Cyclone when I used the Big Hitter Blue (17g) for the crosses. However, I was under 50 degrees and I've found colder weather make poly strings less durable.

For the cost, you should be happy with both playability and durability in a racquet like the Dunlap Aero.

aggietex08
11-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Dang i can't wait till i can order them! lol but so Cyclone in the mains or crosses? I was thinking about doing a full bed at 55 but if i like it i'll probably try it in a hybrid so in the mains or crosses?

It depends how you want it to play. I use them in the cross because I like a softer bed for my arm and more feel. If you want more spin and durablity go for it in the mains.

TheBoom
11-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Hmmmmmm I think it's worth a shot :)

Bedrock
11-24-2010, 10:29 AM
A bit too stiff and low power. Durable and high spin potential. Not the best feel but great performance.

tennisfreak565
11-24-2010, 01:37 PM
A bit too stiff and low power. Durable and high spin potential. Not the best feel but great performance.

Oh...well what tension did you use and what racquet do you have?

The Big Kahuna
11-24-2010, 01:41 PM
The string has plenty of pop, fantastic spin and control, and does not move much in the string bed. String softens and becomes more comfortable over time. "Gear" shape wears out relatively quickly (3 hours) but spin is still good. Durability is above average. Control gets better over time. Cyclone is better in just about every way over MSV Focus HEX and at a lower price point as well you can't go wrong. Great string, it also got a good rating in the German Tennis Magazine 2009. All in all an impressive string for a ridiculous price.

Jonny S&V
11-24-2010, 01:46 PM

I strung it at my normal tension (58 lbs), and it definitely didn't feel great until an hour into hitting with it. I would drop tension 3ish lbs and that should soften it up enough. What is your normal set-up?

Do you play with poly on a consistent basis? I could see someone saying this if they were going from a hybrid to a full-bed of Cyclone, but Cyclone is definitely softer than all 1st gen polys.

Mighty Matteo
11-24-2010, 02:18 PM
i am in the same situation and want to switch from Rpm blast to something cheaper and have already tried eagnas poly nova nd want a better poly and so i am looking at blue gear, big ace and cyclone.

tennisfreak565
11-24-2010, 02:30 PM
I strung it at my normal tension (58 lbs), and it definitely didn't feel great until an hour into hitting with it. I would drop tension 3ish lbs and that should soften it up enough. What is your normal set-up?

Do you play with poly on a consistent basis? I could see someone saying this if they were going from a hybrid to a full-bed of Cyclone, but Cyclone is definitely softer than all 1st gen polys.

I haven't found my string yet but i usually use full bed poly. And yeah i was going to string it at 55.

tennisfreak565
11-24-2010, 02:31 PM
i am in the same situation and want to switch from Rpm blast to something cheaper and have already tried eagnas poly nova nd want a better poly and so i am looking at blue gear, big ace and cyclone.
Cool try big ace revo and blue gear ultra spin from thetennisdepot.com and tell us what you think!

verite
11-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Hmmm... I'm trying out a full bed of Cyclone now (strung 2 lbs lighter than usual) and it does not feel harsh on my arm.

I've had some bouts with TE before and I was nervous about a poly, but my stringer swore by the cyclone and said he'd swap it out for free if I didn't like it.

I guess he was right. Not as soft as a gut, but it's pretty cushy and not nearly as harsh as a Big Banger.

I'll try it in a hybrid on my other racquet - more to get a bit more power on my flat serve than for comfort. Thanks for the tips, Aggie.

Bedrock
11-29-2010, 03:15 PM

Racquet BB11 (98 325g 18x20)
Tension - 52 Lb main, cross is syn.gut at 50.
After a week of play can add these strings lose tension quick (not very durable, but this is not an issue).
I want them be the best, but unfortunately they are not.

Bedrock
11-29-2010, 03:34 PM

You have to be right about 1st gen.
I play with all kind of strings except nat.gut (long years was playing only with polyester (Lux. Babolat and Kirshbaum)).
(Can recommend to try Kirshbaum Hybrix 17 Spin much better feel, spin and power(balanced) for my taste)
I do prefer certain polyester (and looking for anything else that can be same good ).
Cannot be agree that Cyclone provides super spin, just some.
Plus no power. It makes me wonder why I need these strings if I can get better spin with syn.gut.
Durability is not important for me at all (these lasted over one week, which is very good). However Cyclone breaks first with nylon cross.

Going to try higher tension since tension is going down fast.
My next setup will be something like 57-58x53-56 Cyclone-Syn.gut

The Big Kahuna
11-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Try Cyclone even LOWER and you might be surprised at the added power and spin you get - and how big the sweet spot gets. Still plenty of control at 44-48 lbs.!

I was using in the the mains at 46 with Mantis Comfort or Tourna Quasi Gut in the crosses, and it felt like the sweet spot was the size of a butterfly net - good spin, good control, good comfort, nice feel.

Read the discussion boards. LOTS of players taking the string tensions down into the 40's now on many of these polys - or lower!