PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Multi-SynGut Hybrid Cook-off Challenge!

coolblue123
11-23-2010, 04:36 AM
I know it's easier to cook a poly/syn gut hybrid for under $10. Searched TW forums but didn't find any results for a multi/syn gut combo. Please post your customized cheap hybrid string-brew and results.
Requirements:
1) Under $10 total. (please indicate cost)
2) Has to be a multi/syn gut combo. (Indicate Gauge as well)
3) Playtest Results (after all, you have to eat what you cook, right?)
4) Tension
5) How long it lasted?

I've been using Volkl's Gripper with Spiral Flex (SF). Both 16g at 55lb. Cost around $10. Lasted only 6 hours of play. Didn't know if SF was tearing into Gripper or Gripper is just too soft. Was a good low powered/soft feel setup. Very arm friendly too. Just wished it lasted a couple more sets.

coolblue123
11-23-2010, 04:37 AM
Going to try a FT Ruff (17g) Main/ Golden Set Maximal (16g) cross next. Cost is around $5. Half Price! If it lasts 5 hours I'll be happy!

polski
11-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Mantis Comfort 16 ($9 pack) w/ Forten Sweet 16 ($3 pack). 2 string jobs for $12. Strung at 60 lbs.

Lasted about 4-5 hours of hitting. Switched the mains and crosses for kicks the next time & lasted about the same.

What I noticed is that Mantis shreeded the outer core over time & you could see the filaments inside wearing down. The Forten just popped out of the blue. Frankly, I like the crispness of the Forten better than the soft feel of the Mantis.

2handsbothsides
11-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Prince Premier Softflex main and Forten Sweet Natural cross. This one is special, incredibly comfortable, fairly high power setup with great pocket and feel. I actually like it better than most premium multi's or mid priced natural guts. It's greatest attribute is very fine depth control once you dial in the tension. Much more precise than other softer, vague and lower powered modern strings like WeissCannon Explosiv.

Under $10 even with the big price increase. Longevity is very player / string pattern dependent. I use an open string pattern. 16 gage maintains great playability for 6-8 hours of hard hitting. 17 gage is a one hit wonder good for one hard match. VS natural gut / Forten Sweet is a better setup but for comparison it will really only maintain its peak playability for a bit longer, certainly not twice as long.

The Big Kahuna
11-23-2010, 06:47 PM
My vote would go for Volkl CYCLONE ($5.99 a set) in the mains and Mantis Comfort ($9.00 a set) in the crosses - total $7.50 per racquet ($15.00 total cost for two complete sets).

coolblue123
11-24-2010, 03:39 AM
My vote would go for Volkl CYCLONE ($5.99 a set) in the mains and Mantis Comfort ($9.00 a set) in the crosses - total $7.50 per racquet ($15.00 total cost for two complete sets).

I've heard only good things about Mantis lately. Got me really curious now. Too bad I got 6 sets of Maximals. I may just trade it and see what I can get.

coolblue123
11-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Just tried this setup:
Maxim Touch 16/ Gosen Micro Sheep (17). = $7
Was a really low powered setup. Alot of control even though it was strung at 55/57. First time using Gosen, dang these Syn Gut moves alot!

mikeler
11-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Just tried this setup:
Maxim Touch 16/ Gosen Micro Sheep (17). = $7
Was a really low powered setup. Alot of control even though it was strung at 55/57. First time using Gosen, dang these Syn Gut moves alot!

Mantis Comfort moves quite a bit in a full job. It also breaks on me after about 5 hard sets of hitting. It just fits my game like a glove so I have to deal with those negatives. Once the coating comes off the Mantis and you see the multifilaments, it might last 1 more game.

2handsbothsides
11-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Just hit with Tecnifibre NRG2 17 gage main and Forten Sweet 16 natural cross. What a nice playing combo at only $8.50 based on my first 2 hours of hitting. Better control than my Softflex / Sweet combo as it is a bit firmer. I liked the NRG2 much better than X1 due to the deeper pocket and smoother more subtle feel. Very comfortable and easily beats any of the under $10 full bed multi's IMHO.

cxw0106
11-29-2010, 11:10 AM
I second NR2 17 main combo with a cheap synthetic such as PSGD or Gosen Micro.

Just hit with Tecnifibre NRG2 17 gage main and Forten Sweet 16 natural cross. What a nice playing combo at only $8.50 based on my first 2 hours of hitting. Better control than my Softflex / Sweet combo as it is a bit firmer. I liked the NRG2 much better than X1 due to the deeper pocket and smoother more subtle feel. Very comfortable and easily beats any of the under $10 full bed multi's IMHO.

coolblue123
11-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Mantis Comfort moves quite a bit in a full job. It also breaks on me after about 5 hard sets of hitting. It just fits my game like a glove so I have to deal with those negatives. Once the coating comes off the Mantis and you see the multifilaments, it might last 1 more game.

I just got contacted by the folks at Mantis. I think they are sending me like 6 sets of sample strings for $24. I'll probably end up playing with the Comfort Syn Gut only. My clients will probably play around with the poly's. Can't believe how low powered MT is once paired with Gosen Strings.

In the past, I had to dial up the tension of MT to be more control oriented.

SirGounder
11-29-2010, 11:20 AM

Isn't Cyclone a poly?

How's about Pro Supex Maxim Touch coupled with a Pro Supex syn gut? I personally like Spiral Flex. I'll have to give it a try and report back.

Alphagut 2000 ($3 for a half set) and Gosen Micro ($35 for a reel, $1 for a half set) played nicely. Not too big of a price drop from a full bed of alphagut($6), but I'll take what I can get. I thought it also made the string bed a bit more crisp which can be a plus if that's what you like. I like it because alphagut feels too mushy to me. Other than the feel, I didn't notice any difference between the hybrid and a full bed.

mikeler
11-29-2010, 11:58 AM
I just got contacted by the folks at Mantis. I think they are sending me like 6 sets of sample strings for $24. I'll probably end up playing with the Comfort Syn Gut only. My clients will probably play around with the poly's. Can't believe how low powered MT is once paired with Gosen Strings.

In the past, I had to dial up the tension of MT to be more control oriented.

Mantis Comfort is the lowest powered multi I've tried. Makes Maxim Touch feel like a sling shot.

coolblue123
11-30-2010, 03:25 AM
Mantis Comfort is the lowest powered multi I've tried. Makes Maxim Touch feel like a sling shot.

Thanks mikeler! Now I am tempted to buy some GC's from TW. Since TW has a 20% sale now. I may just get it for later.

coolblue123
11-30-2010, 03:29 AM
Isn't Cyclone a poly?

How's about Pro Supex Maxim Touch coupled with a Pro Supex syn gut? I personally like Spiral Flex. I'll have to give it a try and report back.

Alphagut 2000 ($3 for a half set) and Gosen Micro ($35 for a reel, $1 for a half set) played nicely. Not too big of a price drop from a full bed of alphagut($6), but I'll take what I can get. I thought it also made the string bed a bit more crisp which can be a plus if that's what you like. I like it because alphagut feels too mushy to me. Other than the feel, I didn't notice any difference between the hybrid and a full bed.

SF/ MT is a great combo! I've played with it for 3 monthes. My only complain was that SF kept on cutting into MT! Only lasted 6 hours every time. Strange thing was that SF didn't move that much either. Not sure how it cut MT so badly? MT really offset the harder feel of the kevlar strand in SF. SF is still nowhere close to how harsh poly feels.

mikeler
11-30-2010, 05:13 AM
SF/ MT is a great combo! I've played with it for 3 monthes. My only complain was that SF kept on cutting into MT! Only lasted 6 hours every time. Strange thing was that SF didn't move that much either. Not sure how it cut MT so badly? MT really offset the harder feel of the kevlar strand in SF. SF is still nowhere close to how harsh poly feels.

My experience with poly hybrids is that the rougher synthetics guts like PSGD get shredded much more than smoother synthetic guts like Gamma. Maxim Touch has a slightly rough texture so your experience seems to jive with mine.

coolblue123
12-01-2010, 05:42 PM
mikeler: I just got a crazy idea. Have you considered pairing multi's together? I was thinking about doing a mantis comfort/ MT? Wonder how would it play? I may give that a try just for the heck of it.

mikeler
12-02-2010, 05:36 AM
mikeler: I just got a crazy idea. Have you considered pairing multi's together? I was thinking about doing a mantis comfort/ MT? Wonder how would it play? I may give that a try just for the heck of it.

KCraig gave me the multi/multi idea in the thread below. He liked a Mantis Comfort (Mains)/RIP Control (Cross) hybrid. Head Intellitour is also a pre-packaged multi/multi hybrid that we both really liked. I tried the RIP mains and Comfort crosses but was a little disappointed. The negatives of the two strings were still there without the positives.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=352048&page=16

Kcraig
12-02-2010, 06:44 AM
KCraig gave me the multi/multi idea in the thread below. He liked a Mantis Comfort (Mains)/RIP Control (Cross) hybrid. Head Intellitour is also a pre-packaged multi/multi hybrid that we both really liked. I tried the RIP mains and Comfort crosses but was a little disappointed. The negatives of the two strings were still there without the positives.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=352048&page=16

The Mantis/RIP Control hybrid was one of the smoothest, softest, control friendly jobs I have ever used. I ended up going with Intellitour mainly due to the convenience of 1 package and I get about the same amount of comfort of Mantis/RIP--BUT I get more spin/control and a tad more pop as well. The Mantis/RIP was a pure pleasure to volley and hit touch shots with--very low powered/control oriented setup--:)