PDA

View Full Version : My feedback/assessment of Pro Supex Blue Gear Ultra 17 !

jstasak
11-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Just got done playing 3 sets on my newly strung Blue Gear Ultra 17 (Full bed).

Seems to have (maybe) a little more spin potential than my previous strings (Spiky Shark, Signum Pro HEXtreme, PHT), but not much more. I did notice that after the 2nd set, my shoulder was sore (and that never happened with any of the other textured stings I have tried before.

Overall, not a bad set of strings, and not as stiff as I thought it might be reading the feedback on the original Blue Gear (so maybe they did soften the Ultra somewhat). I have another set of BG Ultra that I will likely hybrid with a softer set of crosses on my backup racket and see if that helps the shoulder issue.

pvaudio
11-23-2010, 07:42 AM
With all due respect, this really isn't that valueable of a review for such a highly anticipated and talked about string. Could you please post a lot more information? Racquet? Tensions? Playing style? String movement? Control? Power? Serving? Feel? Etc.

Thank you for the post, and I hate sounding like an *******, but you really didn't say anything about it aside from it possibly being spinnier than two spin strings and a mid-grade poly.

GameSetMatch
11-23-2010, 08:17 AM
The thing is, soooooo many people overate polys on here. A new poly comes out and certain people start raving about how amazing it is, how it manages to 'smoke' serves, curve the ball in from the side of the court etc. It's completely OTT - you'd think the string actually plays the game of tennis for them instead of the player. Some polys are better than others, but its not likely to be a paradigm change is it?

He's said it offers marginally more spin than the 3 other polys he's tried, but not much more, and seems slightly harsh if his shoulder soreness is consequence of using the string. I don't see anything wrong with that.

bad_call
11-23-2010, 08:27 AM
The thing is, soooooo many people overate polys on here. A new poly comes out and certain people start raving about how amazing it is, how it manages to 'smoke' serves, curve the ball in from the side of the court etc. It's completely OTT - you'd think the string actually plays the game of tennis for them instead of the player. Some polys are better than others, but its not likely to be a paradigm change is it?

He's said it offers marginally more spin than the 3 other polys he's tried, but not much more, and seems slightly harsh if his shoulder soreness is consequence of using the string. I don't see anything wrong with that.

for those of us who use/play BG (myself included) it's nice to have other data...at the very least tension and racquet. this player hasn't experienced soreness. possibly the lower tension forgives whilst high tension doesn't which applies to a number of strings.

pvaudio
11-23-2010, 08:37 AM
for those of us who use/play BG (myself included) it's nice to have other data...at the very least tension and racquet. this player hasn't experienced soreness. possibly the lower tension forgives whilst high tension doesn't which applies to a number of strings.
This is true. I own the original blue gear (white), and while it is stiff, it has never given arm pain whatsoever.

pvaudio
11-23-2010, 08:41 AM

He's said it offers marginally more spin than the 3 other polys he's tried, but not much more, and seems slightly harsh if his shoulder soreness is consequence of using the string. I don't see anything wrong with that.I agree with you entirely. However, Blue Gear Ultra is unique in that its predecessor is still rated as the spinniest string ever made, and the OP has never even used it. So, if BG Ultra gives possibly more spin than Pro Hurricane Tour (which gives just about none at all), then does that mean that BGU is hopeless as a spin string? If he's never used the stiff original BG, how do we know if that hurt his arm as well and that this is just as stiff? We don't actually have any relevant string to compare to. Spiky Shark is just behind BG as far as spin potential, but feels like a marshmallow in comparison. While you can compare the RPM of the ball traveling through the air, you cannot compare the feel on impact. At the very minimum, the tension would be useful because if this were strung at 55lbs, then it'd start to get interesting. If strung at 65lbs, then.......yeah.

polyfibre1
11-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Hey,
Yes, Pro Supex gear is quiet good. I am trying to get a apparel sponsorship with them. They said they will replay and I just get an email with offer. Should I take or leave it?

pvaudio
11-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Um, what? And if your username is polyfibre, why is Pro Supex going to sponsor you?

Preston
11-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Hey,
Yes, Pro Supex gear is quiet good. I am trying to get a apparel sponsorship with them. They said they will replay and I just get an email with offer. Should I take or leave it?

Are you saying there is not pop/crack sound when you hit the ball with Pro Supex gear? I will assume you mean Blue Gear and not that you are hitting tennis balls with a random piece of tennis gear from your bag.

And, what will they replay? Did you send them vids of you playing tennis?

jstasak
11-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Sorry, was in a hurry to get this Original post out there since this was

So here is some more data as requested.........

Wilson NCode Ntour 2, strung 54 full bed, playing style is eastern grip and like to hit as much topspin as I can generate with that grip (which is not huge like western but still can get some decent action on the ball). Many different serve types. Topspin serve has a bit more action than Shark or HEXtreme. Where I see the most action is on my slice serve (which seems to kick a lot more into the receivers body than with the other strings. Very little string movement, A little less control than with the Shark or HEXtreme, but that might be since the Shark and HEXTreme were "broken in" and had lost some tension. Overall feel is pretty good and would be happy to stick with Blue Gear (since this is my 1st exposure to them).

Feel free to send me a note if you need more data....and would be happy to help ya'll out.

With all due respect, this really isn't that valueable of a review for such a highly anticipated and talked about string. Could you please post a lot more information? Racquet? Tensions? Playing style? String movement? Control? Power? Serving? Feel? Etc.

Thank you for the post, and I hate sounding like an *******, but you really didn't say anything about it aside from it possibly being spinnier than two spin strings and a mid-grade poly.

bad_call
11-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Sorry, was in a hurry to get this Original post out there since this was

So here is some more data as requested.........

Wilson NCode Ntour 2, strung 54 full bed, playing style is eastern grip and like to hit as much topspin as I can generate with that grip (which is not huge like western but still can get some decent action on the ball). Many different serve types. Topspin serve has a bit more action than Shark or HEXtreme. Where I see the most action is on my slice serve (which seems to kick a lot more into the receivers body than with the other strings. Very little string movement, A little less control than with the Shark or HEXtreme, but that might be since the Shark and HEXTreme were "broken in" and had lost some tension. Overall feel is pretty good and would be happy to stick with Blue Gear (since this is my 1st exposure to them).

Feel free to send me a note if you need more data....and would be happy to help ya'll out.

thanks for posting the other info. that's a few lbs higher than what i string and also in a lighter racquet (10.6 oz or so).

GameSetMatch
11-27-2010, 07:03 AM
At the end of the day, Blue Gear "ultra" is simply Blue Gear that's been twisted, is it not? Don't see any reason why twisting it would suddenly turn it into some sort of amazing string. ProSupex is just following market trends of having a helix, hybrix, hellically wound string etc.

bad_call
11-27-2010, 08:35 AM
At the end of the day, Blue Gear "ultra" is simply Blue Gear that's been twisted, is it not? Don't see any reason why twisting it would suddenly turn it into some sort of amazing string. ProSupex is just following market trends of having a helix, hybrix, hellically wound string etc.

aside from twisting, the exterior profile appears different. if the original BG appeals then the ultra version...

JasonPlaysTennis
12-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Ultra Spin I've found produces more of a kick on heavy topspin shots and a little more spin than the original blue gear. It definitely bites the ball better and allows for cleaner shots. As a player who is afraid of commitment in regards to strings, this is the first string I've played with that I'm committed enough to buy a reel.

bad_call
12-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Jason ^^ - how does the power level compare to the original BG ?

kiteboard
12-06-2010, 02:18 PM
I just put bgu/forten syn gut, in a pt57a, and waxed the crosses with candle wax, at the impact zone. Sweet feel/spin.

nvottennis
12-06-2010, 09:50 PM
I just put bgu/forten syn gut, in a pt57a, and waxed the crosses with candle wax, at the impact zone. Sweet feel/spin.

Does the wax really help? Because I'd imagine that it does barely anything.

kiteboard
12-07-2010, 07:22 AM
INcreased snap back time, and reduced friction.

nvottennis
12-07-2010, 05:26 PM
INcreased snap back time, and reduced friction.

hmm, I guess you can learn something new everyday. Just wondering, but how do you apply the wax without hurting the strings, or are there only certain types of setups that should be waxed?