PDA

View Full Version : A Hindrance? Seriously?

michael_1265
11-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I was spectating at one of my 7.5 team's away matches last week. Our #2 team was playing against a team in which the guy could not keep his serve in the court. He must have thrown in four or five doubles in his first two service games. Suddenly during his service, he asks our player, a 4.0 male, to stop "spinning his racquet". This player, like me, regrips habitually and repeatedly while waiting for a serve. Nobody else has ever had an issue. Other than the obvious comment that he should be looking at the ball when he serves and not worrying about his opponent's racquet, isn't this taking the hindrance rule to an extreme? I mean, how far can you take it? How about, "That shiny bald head of yours needs to be covered", or, "your fat legs rubbing together when you run really distract me", "the contrasting colors of your hybrid string set are driving me crazy".

People with sensory issues should stay off the courts.

JavierLW
11-23-2010, 02:17 PM
We're not there so we cant see it.

Does it make noise when he does this, or is it just visually spinning?

I wouldn't think just merely spinning it would be a big deal (although kind of dumb if you're getting ready for a serve), unless your player has found some new obnoxiously distracting way to go about it.

Bobby Jr
11-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Just say: Federer has always done it too and no-one has ever complained.

tennis tom
11-23-2010, 02:28 PM
...he should be looking at the ball when he serves and not worrying about his opponent's racquet...

"That shiny bald head of yours needs to be covered", or, "your fat legs rubbing together when you run really distract me", "the contrasting colors of your hybrid string set are driving me crazy".

That's a funny post! Fed spins his racket too, but so far I haven't heard anyone complain to him about it. Nadal's OCD tugging on his wedgy...well, if I were sitting in the seats behind him, I might call a hindrance on him for that.

michael_1265
11-23-2010, 02:37 PM
We're not there so we cant see it.

Does it make noise when he does this, or is it just visually spinning?

I wouldn't think just merely spinning it would be a big deal (although kind of dumb if you're getting ready for a serve), unless your player has found some new obnoxiously distracting way to go about it.

No noise, just spinning it. Like I said, "re-gripping" is a better description.

SteveI
11-23-2010, 02:55 PM
No noise, just spinning it. Like I said, "re-gripping" is a better description.

Guy was just ****ed-off because he could not land a serve. If he was hitting aces... ya think you would have said anything??? Gotta love the USTA leagues..and some of the jerks that play in them.... These posts always help me rememebr why I quit playing the USTA leagues. I have seen some of the most lame things ever called..in USTA play. Hindrence... all those doubles are a hindrance to the pace of the match. Give me a break... tell the guy to take a serving lesson..

pyrokid
11-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Just call a hindrance on something he does then. Even if it's completely unusual. Preferably, actually.

"Your feet were landing too heavily and distracted me.
Hindrance."

He'll probably get the point. If he doesn't then he's just an idiot.

workhurts
11-23-2010, 04:03 PM
They thought that was a hinderance? I wonder what they would have thought about the guy I played that thought he was a cross between a samurai an a sumo wrestler?

While serving, the opponent at the net seemed to think that half squating, raising his racquet in the air and twirling it around had something to do with tennis. This guy was doing this on every serve (both mine and his partners). I really felt like taking his head off but I didn't even bother calling hinderance on that ... a little regripping 72'+ away is nothing.

LuckyR
11-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Just call a hindrance on something he does then. Even if it's completely unusual. Preferably, actually.

"Your feet were landing too heavily and distracted me.
Hindrance."

He'll probably get the point. If he doesn't then he's just an idiot.

I would not discount the high likelihood that he is, in fact, an idiot.

catfish
11-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I was spectating at one of my 7.5 team's away matches last week. Our #2 team was playing against a team in which the guy could not keep his serve in the court. He must have thrown in four or five doubles in his first two service games. Suddenly during his service, he asks our player, a 4.0 male, to stop "spinning his racquet". This player, like me, regrips habitually and repeatedly while waiting for a serve. Nobody else has ever had an issue. Other than the obvious comment that he should be looking at the ball when he serves and not worrying about his opponent's racquet, isn't this taking the hindrance rule to an extreme? I mean, how far can you take it? How about, "That shiny bald head of yours needs to be covered", or, "your fat legs rubbing together when you run really distract me", "the contrasting colors of your hybrid string set are driving me crazy".

People with sensory issues should stay off the courts.

I don't think that the racquet spinning is a hindrance. But the fat thighs rubbing together definitely is one, especially if the player with the fat thighs is wearing swishy sounding pants.

michael_1265
11-23-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't think that the racquet spinning is a hindrance. But the fat thighs rubbing together definitely is one, especially if the player with the fat thighs is wearing swishy sounding pants.

But try calling it in mixed season. You might be surprised at how fast a large woman can leap the net.......

michael_1265
11-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Guy was just ****ed-off because he could not land a serve. If he was hitting aces... ya think you would have said anything??? Gotta love the USTA leagues..and some of the jerks that play in them.... These posts always help me rememebr why I quit playing the USTA leagues. I have seen some of the most lame things ever called..in USTA play. Hindrence... all those doubles are a hindrance to the pace of the match. Give me a break... tell the guy to take a serving lesson..

I'm glad I saw it happen, because if some moron tries it on me, it won't throw my game. Some folks think the hindrance rule has unlimited power.

spot
11-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Notice the OP didn't say that the opposing player claimed a point due to hindrance- just that he asked the player to stop. I don't see anything wrong with the player asking someone to stop, I also don't see a problem witht he guy telling him "sorry... I'm not doing it to distract you- thats how I always play and how I find my correct grip"

Totai
11-24-2010, 07:17 AM
Notice the OP didn't say that the opposing player claimed a point due to hindrance- just that he asked the player to stop. I don't see anything wrong with the player asking someone to stop, I also don't see a problem witht he guy telling him "sorry... I'm not doing it to distract you- thats how I always play and how I find my correct grip"

You posting here is affecting the way I hit my DTL backhands, can you stop posting please? Its a hinderance

Taxvictim
11-24-2010, 07:42 AM
I like to call a hindrance if the net guy moves while I'm trying to return serve. It never seems to get me anywhere, though.

:-?

li0scc0
11-24-2010, 07:46 AM
I was recently told to stop my 'dancing' on the court as my opponent served (in doubles). Said 'dancing' may be foreign to my opponents, as it is...gasp....a split step. :)

michael_1265
11-24-2010, 08:34 AM

Even at that, I consider it gamesmanship. Can you imagine making a request like this in any other sport: "Hey Roy (Halladay), your pitching delivery is really annoying me, the way you tuck your glove under as you come forward. Could you just stop doing that?"

You can't stop wind noise, airplane noise, or the noise on the court next to you. You can't change the position of the sun because it messes with your service toss, or the tree that obscures some of the court with its shadow. You can't remove the dead spots that kill bounces on certain hard courts, or speed up a clay court the has been overwatered. And, for that matter, you can't tell your opponent to stop catching his service toss. So why would anyone think it is okay to tell your opponent how to prepare to receive a serve?

That idiot would be best served by hitting against a wall, and leave USTA tennis to people who can play well with others.

michael_1265
11-24-2010, 08:35 AM
I was recently told to stop my 'dancing' on the court as my opponent served (in doubles). Said 'dancing' may be foreign to my opponents, as it is...gasp....a split step. :)

I can't comprehend that. I see nothing but the ball when I serve.

li0scc0
11-24-2010, 08:38 AM
I can't comprehend that. I see nothing but the ball when I serve.

Me neither . Not surprisingly, the person who said this to me was serving about 30%.

michael_1265
11-24-2010, 08:39 AM
I like to call a hindrance if the net guy moves while I'm trying to return serve. It never seems to get me anywhere, though.

:-?

That used to annoy me, but I've decided that learning to mentally block out the net guy out while returning helps my overall focus, so he can be doing the Macarena as far as I'm concerned.

michael_1265
11-24-2010, 08:41 AM
They thought that was a hinderance? I wonder what they would have thought about the guy I played that thought he was a cross between a samurai an a sumo wrestler?

While serving, the opponent at the net seemed to think that half squating, raising his racquet in the air and twirling it around had something to do with tennis. This guy was doing this on every serve (both mine and his partners). I really felt like taking his head off but I didn't even bother calling hinderance on that ... a little regripping 72'+ away is nothing.

That would make me angry.

OrangePower
11-24-2010, 08:59 AM
No way is that a hindrance. I spin my racquet all the time while waiting to return serve. BTW, so does Fed. Since I predate him by quite a bit, I think he stole it from me! :)

I used to have another habit which probably *could* be considered a hindrance - I would toss the racquet in the air (causing it to turn around) and then catch it by the handle. Not a good description but imagine juggling it. Since the racquet would leave my hand and loop around in the air that probably could be distracting to an opponent.

jswinf
11-24-2010, 10:22 AM

Reminds me of the scene in the first Indiana Jones movie when the big bad guy in a black burnoose jumps out and starts whirling a nasty-looking sword around in a very menacing manner. Indy just casually pulled out a revolver and drilled him. That might be a bit of an over-reaction here, though...

SteveI
11-24-2010, 11:40 AM
This might be one of the Best LOL posts of the year!!! You should send the guy with the bad serve (Mr. Hindrance) a link to this thread!!!

Great stuff guys!!!

Steve

Taxvictim
11-24-2010, 03:46 PM
That used to annoy me, but I've decided that learning to mentally block out the net guy out while returning helps my overall focus, so he can be doing the Macarena as far as I'm concerned.

It was really a joke. I was trying to imply that the net guy would move to where I was hitting the ball while returning serve (which is his job).

SteveI
11-24-2010, 05:59 PM
It was really a joke. I was trying to imply that the net guy would move to where I was hitting the ball while returning serve (which is his job).

Ya mean like poaching??? :wink:

michael_1265
11-24-2010, 07:36 PM

Okay. It was lost on me, because I've encountered a few players who think any movement by the net man (short of actually poaching) is "hindrance worthy".

Datacipher
11-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Just say: Federer has always done it too and no-one has ever complained.

Funny...I was just thinking of this the other day....the majority of juniors do this now....it still looks so bush league to me...it used to be the domain complete hacks only, who wanted to look cool. eg. Hey i found the racquet in my basement.....look at me spin it!!

Thank God Fed doesn't pick his nose on court....

blakesq
11-25-2010, 06:42 AM
I have run into people like that too. The rules and code explicitly say that you (anyone on the court) can move at any time, even during the server's service motion.

Okay. It was lost on me, because I've encountered a few players who think any movement by the net man (short of actually poaching) is "hindrance worthy".

michael_1265
11-25-2010, 07:31 AM
As a follow-up, my teammate sent me an email, saying that there was nothing in the code about twirling, at which time I told him he had an old copy, and sent him the "2010" version:

HINDRANCE
33. Talking during a point.
A player shall not talk while the ball is moving toward the opponent’s side of the court. If the player’s talking interferes with an opponent’s ability to play the ball, the player loses the point. Consider the situation where a player hits a weak lob and loudly yells at his or her partner to get back. If the shout is loud enough to distract an opponent, then the opponent may claim the point based on a deliberate hindrance. If the opponent chooses to hit the lob and misses it, the opponent loses the point because the opponent did not make a timely claim of hindrance. A player may not use his talents of ventriloquism to make it seem like another player is talking.A player may not use excessive sarcasm when talking to an opponent, unless the opponent is truly and undeniably a drooling idiot, in which case it is okay.

34. Racquet twirling.
A player shall not twirl his racquet more than five total “twirls” when waiting to receive serve. This is considered an intentional hindrance.

35. Distracting clothing.
A player may not wear distracting clothing during a match. Some examples are:
1. Opposing teams: Player may not wear an article of clothing (a hat, for example) from a sports franchise or college team that the opponent doesn’t like.
2. Mismatched (clashing) clothing.
3. Bright pink shoelaces
4. Sneakers with little LEDs that light up when you move.
5. “Daisy Duke” shorts.
6. Tube tops: Never, ever. Enough said.
Violation of any of the above may be deemed a hindrance and is subject to point penalty (or, in the case of item 6, forfeit of match).

36. Distracting hairstyles
There are no mullets in tennis. The mullet, also known as the Ape Drape, Camaro Cut, Shlong (Short-Long), Mudflap, Hockey Hair, ten-ninety, Tennessee Tophat, Kentucky Waterfall and Neck Warmer, is a cut characterized by short hair in the front, long in the back, with the ears exposed. It is not appropriate for tennis. More appropriate forums for wearing a mullet might be a WWF match or the filming of an episode of “Cops”.

35. Body movement
A player may feint with the body while the ball is in play. A player may change position at any time, including while the server is tossing the ball. Any other movement or any sound that is made solely to distract an opponent, including, but not limited to, waving the arms or racket or stamping the feet, is not allowed. A player may not do the Macarena or any Michael Jackson inspired dance moves during a match. Note: “The Robot” is okay, as long as a player’s feet remain stationary.

Angle Queen
11-25-2010, 07:34 AM
^^

Ok, Michael. You've been into the Thanksgiving Spiced Rum too much.

Waaaayyyy too funny.

michael_1265
11-25-2010, 07:43 AM
^^

Ok, Michael. You've been into the Thanksgiving Spiced Rum too much.

Waaaayyyy too funny.

Rules is rules. When I get time (yeah, right) I'll rewrite the whole thing, print it out, and bring it to matches. As long as it's in print, you can get anyone to believe it (reference: Charlotte's Web)

Angle Queen
11-25-2010, 08:24 AM
(reference: Charlotte's Web)You're too old to remember that. And your kids are probably too old too. Mine, however..... :p

tennis tom
11-25-2010, 08:33 AM
As a follow-up, my teammate sent me an email, saying that there was nothing in the code about twirling, at which time I told him he had an old copy, and sent him the "2010" version:

HINDRANCE
A player shall not talk while the ball is moving toward the opponent’s side of the court. If the player’s talking interferes with an opponent’s ability to play the ball, the player loses the point. Consider the situation where a player hits a weak lob and loudly yells at his or her partner to get back. If the shout is loud enough to distract an opponent, then the opponent may claim the point based on a deliberate hindrance. If the opponent chooses to hit the lob and misses it, the opponent loses the point because the opponent did not make a timely claim of hindrance. A player may not use his talents of ventriloquism to make it seem like another player is talking.A player may not use excessive sarcasm when talking to an opponent, unless the opponent is truly and undeniably a drooling idiot, in which case it is okay.

34. Racquet twirling.
A player shall not twirl his racquet more than five total “twirls” when waiting to receive serve. This is considered an intentional hindrance.

35. Distracting clothing.
A player may not wear distracting clothing during a match. Some examples are:
1. Opposing teams: Player may not wear an article of clothing (a hat, for example) from a sports franchise or college team that the opponent doesn’t like.
2. Mismatched (clashing) clothing.
3. Bright pink shoelaces
4. Sneakers with little LEDs that light up when you move.
5. “Daisy Duke” shorts.
6. Tube tops: Never, ever. Enough said.
Violation of any of the above may be deemed a hindrance and is subject to point penalty (or, in the case of item 6, forfeit of match).

36. Distracting hairstyles
There are no mullets in tennis. The mullet, also known as the Ape Drape, Camaro Cut, Shlong (Short-Long), Mudflap, Hockey Hair, ten-ninety, Tennessee Tophat, Kentucky Waterfall and Neck Warmer, is a cut characterized by short hair in the front, long in the back, with the ears exposed. It is not appropriate for tennis. More appropriate forums for wearing a mullet might be a WWF match or the filming of an episode of “Cops”.

35. Body movement
A player may feint with the body while the ball is in play. A player may change position at any time, including while the server is tossing the ball. Any other movement or any sound that is made solely to distract an opponent, including, but not limited to, waving the arms or racket or stamping the feet, is not allowed. A player may not do the Macarena or any Michael Jackson inspired dance moves during a match. Note: “The Robot” is okay, as long as a player’s feet remain stationary.

VERY FUNNY! These rules should come packed in every can of balls-- uh--maybe not--the same players who don't know the rules, don't buy balls either. They arrive fashionably late after someone else has already opened a can. Maybe the rules should be printed on cocktail napkins served under each beer at tennis club bars.

blakesq
11-25-2010, 08:52 AM
uh, you are making a joke with respect to tennis. tennis is very serious. :evil:

HINDRANCE
snip

michael_1265
11-25-2010, 08:57 AM
uh, you are making a joke with respect to tennis. tennis is very serious. :evil:

Irreverence. That's probably why "The Man" keeps me at 3.0, despite my Federer-like ball striking.:mad:

michael_1265
11-25-2010, 09:04 AM
You're too old to remember that. And your kids are probably too old too. Mine, however..... :p

Rub it in........

Yesterday, a new girl at work told me her favorite movie was Princess Bride, and I commended her for her great taste in movies. Then she mentioned that she liked it even though she was born a couple of years after it came out. ugh.

dlk
11-25-2010, 09:05 AM
#36 is a riot:)

DavaiMarat
11-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Frustrated, he probably just was grasping at straws. Your teammate should of said...

'Maybe if you were concentrating more on the ball rather then my racquet, you would hit more 1st serves!'

Hehehe....I love the mental cases on court....

beernutz
11-27-2010, 08:21 AM
I think tube tops and daisy dukes could do for the women's tour what those teensy beach volleyball uniforms have done for that sport.

SteveI
11-27-2010, 09:28 AM
#36 is a riot:)

2+++ for #36

gameboy
11-28-2010, 12:23 AM
I think tube tops and daisy dukes could do for the women's tour what those teensy beach volleyball uniforms have done for that sport.

Only being relevant every 4 years?

blakesq
11-28-2010, 02:02 PM
WRONG. Whenever I am flipping through TV stations, when I come across women's beach volleyball, I stop. Advertisers love that.

Only being relevant every 4 years?