PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best all-round topspin string?

W.S
11-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Not the one with the best topspin quality. Name the string that gives nice topspin with power, durability, comfort and so on.

pvaudio
11-23-2010, 03:16 PM
I know you signed up here looking for this answer, but we can't give it to you. It is not possible. It's 100% preference. You want the absolute most topspin possible? Probably Pro Supex Blue Gear. It's also incredibly stiff and not comfortable in the slightest, and the ridges wear away, and once they do, the durability goes in the tank. It also has next to no power, so you lose on all of those counts. Power? Kirschbaum Pro Line 2 comes to mind. It is a trampoline, nothing more needed to say. Durability? Kevlar, anything kevlar. Comfort? Natural gut, easily. This is why people employ hybrid string setups: use a good spin string in the mains and a softer one in the crosses to liven up the string bed or to add more feel. There is no one great string out there.

airman88
11-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Typhoon is a good one for those qualities, there is also tornado I am about to string up, and barb wire (but some people say it loses tension). We are assuming you mean polys here?

TheBoom
11-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Babolat Revenge:
Durability: 7/10 decent
Spin: 8/10
Comfort 10/10 most comfortable for the spin in my opinion
Power 9/10

pvaudio
11-23-2010, 05:19 PM
You do realize that Babolat Revenge is the stiffest polyester that you can buy today, correct?

hpaiste
11-23-2010, 05:21 PM
You do realize that Babolat Revenge is the stiffest polyester that you can buy today, correct?

Oh yeah, I used that for a little while, and I couldn't feel my arm for a week. Maybe two. Terrible poly.

TheBoom
11-23-2010, 07:07 PM

Feels fine to me compliments my radical well. I feel that RPM was wayy stiffer though felt like it turned my radical into a 2x4. Sucked

TheBoom
11-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Oh yeah, I used that for a little while, and I couldn't feel my arm for a week. Maybe two. Terrible poly.

Well it doesn't feel like it

jayoub95
11-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Not the one with the best topspin quality. Name the string that gives nice topspin with power, durability, comfort and so on.

1 good topspin strings that is durable and gives good power is Spinfire. It gives good topspin because of its hexagonal shape and is good for slicing the ball as well. It is durable and does not move on the racquet. It can also provide good power. I use it and my tension is 25 kg. The comfort of the string is really good and i have recommended this string to lots of people in the past.

gameboy
11-24-2010, 03:07 PM
If a stiff poly is 10/10 in comfort, what the heck is natural gut??? 40/10???

Just goes to show, you should take opinions with a grain of salt.

Mighty Matteo
11-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Prince topspin is a good affordable textured synthetic gut with good pop, control and durability for a synth gut. it is rebranded as Eagnas Perfect spin which is almost half of the price.

scotus
11-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Prince topspin is a good affordable textured synthetic gut with good pop, control and durability for a synth gut. it is rebranded as Eagnas Perfect spin which is almost half of the price.

Victor, is that you?

b.termite
11-24-2010, 04:32 PM
I love Spiky Sharks (made by Kirshbaum). They are my favorite poly by far. They give you a ton of spin, but they still feel pretty good. Obviously not as good as natural or synthetic gut for feel, but as far as poly goes they're really good.

kiteboard
11-24-2010, 04:41 PM
/Blue gear gave me good spin, but hurt my elbow badly. Now I have a reel of ultra, which I cannot even test out, due to my elbow pain. Got a flex bar, and been working it thousands of times, but the pain still lingers on. Had three guys call/email me today to hit, Alan, Anthony, Chris, but had to link them up together. Hate that, because now they will call each other rather than me! Better than leaving them to cruise the courts I guess. My empathy kills me sometimes.

Tennis_Crazed
11-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Most spin for poly is Luxilon ALU Rough and Solinco Tour Bite. Nothing grabs and generates the same amount of spin as these two strings.

thebuffman
11-24-2010, 05:31 PM
the best all around string hands down is natural gut. you can produce very nice spin with it especially if hybrid with a poly cross. power is there absolutely as well as comfort. the only problem one may run into is durability. durability is heavily dependent on the user.

kiteboard
11-24-2010, 06:33 PM
the best all around string hands down is natural gut. you can produce very nice spin with it especially if hybrid with a poly cross. power is there absolutely as well as comfort. the only problem one may run into is durability. durability is heavily dependent on the user.

It's also : tension strung, stiffness of frame, type of surface, type of ball, etc... Hard hitting topspin grinders cannot use gut esp. if they string high, have a stiff frame, and hit a lot with people who also hit hard..

Sephiroth_FFVII
11-24-2010, 10:14 PM
I would recommend that you try Luxilon BB Rough.

kiteboard
11-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Durable, not the best spin, loses tens. fast.

Carolina Racquet
11-25-2010, 07:37 AM
I've found great spin with Volkl Cyclone and I'm pleased with the durability. For a poly, not that stiff and available at a very reasonable cost.

If you're not currently using poly, you might want to string it down a few lbs to compensate for the stiffness.

Mighty Matteo
11-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Try Big ace. Nice and soft yet has good spin and is a very good all around string. Just tried it and love it!

MethodTennis
11-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Im confused do you mean a string made by the company "topsin" or the one which gives most spin. Anyway spin generally comes from technique more than anything and theres no mircal string to hit like nadal. Ide say babolat rpm or alu rough. Also im a big fan of babolat revenge and technifibre lack code in 1.18mm