PDA

View Full Version : What shot are you missing?

Jim A
11-23-2010, 08:13 PM
If you could have any one shot/weapon that you are lacking at the moment what would it be?

For me, it would have to be a powerful 1hbh. Something is missing in the stroke for me and while its serviceable I'd love to be able to really drive the ball at times during a match.

kevoT
11-23-2010, 09:10 PM
aggressive forehand volley.

jonnyjack
11-23-2010, 10:55 PM
A flat forehand.

I hit with a upper cut swing on the forehand side using a western grip that I can't trust to hit a lot. I can't seem to hit a flat penetrating shot so I normally rely on hitting a forehand slice as I don't trust my topspin forehand.

Cindysphinx
11-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Biting BH slice.

AutoXer
11-24-2010, 03:49 AM
137mph serve. I hope as my post count goes up, my mph goes up. Seems to be the case around here. :D

dlk
11-24-2010, 03:50 AM
Quick backhand volley.

tennytive
11-24-2010, 05:24 AM
the tweener

penpal
11-24-2010, 05:38 AM
137mph serve. I hope as my post count goes up, my mph goes up. Seems to be the case around here. :D

LOL :D

For me, I'd like one of those ridiculous kick serves - the kind that looks like it's curving in, then out, when it's in the air, then bounces high with more spin once it lands.

larry10s
11-24-2010, 05:58 AM
^^^^me too

Xisbum
11-24-2010, 06:11 AM
If you could have any one shot/weapon that you are lacking at the moment what would it be?

For me, it would have to be a powerful 1hbh. Something is missing in the stroke for me and while its serviceable I'd love to be able to really drive the ball at times during a match.

What you said. Actually, I would be happy with an accurate down-the-line backhand, powerful or not. Seems I just can't practice that shot enough to feel comfortable trying it in a game situation. :?

BTW, I have a nice 1hbh slice/backspin/drop shot, but seldom hit flat or topspin form that side.

NoSkillzAndy
11-24-2010, 06:13 AM
Jumping two-handed backhand... like Rios used to do so well :)

li0scc0
11-24-2010, 08:10 AM
I would like the ability to hit a high ball with my 1hbh. Low balls are fine, but high...sigh.

Larrysümmers
11-24-2010, 08:12 AM
a fearhand and sampras' serve

AtomicForehand
11-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Disguised sidespin dropper off both wings.

Angle Queen
11-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Kick serve.

And golly-dang-it, I'm gonna ask Santa for it too.

Seriously, it's the "thing" I've decided to work on most this off-season.

michael_1265
11-24-2010, 08:42 AM

A big, spinning, semi-western forehand.

OrangePower
11-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Killer overhead.

Not that mine is all that bad for my level, but I can only imagine what my game would be like with the addition of a 'pro' overhead - the kind that will consistently win any point where my opponent tries to lob, except for the rare perfect offensive topspin lob.

CrispyFritters
11-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Super slice serve. The kind that you can actually ace someone with.

CrispyFritters
11-24-2010, 10:08 AM

Just doing my part on this as well...Can't be a rookie forever.

RogerRacket111
11-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Powerful wide serve on the deuce side, Put away volleys,

As long as we are wishing, Lose 10lbs so I can move like I used to ...

dizzlmcwizzl
11-24-2010, 12:35 PM
On the serve return, backhand hard down the line .. either side

mctennis
11-24-2010, 12:42 PM
A shot of Wild Turkey.

gameboy
11-24-2010, 01:50 PM
I have all the shots i need for club play, what i really need is consistency.

tennis tom
11-24-2010, 04:09 PM
FH slice approach.

hrstrat57
11-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Consistent cleanly struck overhead.....hit midair......allowing ball to bounce improves pace and placement.

I used to have it back in the day often even with a bit of hang time.....so it is largely a fitness/ aging issue unfortunately.

I hope to address the weakness/inconsistency next season by buckling down and hitting several thousand of them.

The lose 10 lbs comment above would also prove helpful......

SELFMADESOUL
11-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Down the line backhand for sure-

tennis tom
11-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Consistent cleanly struck overhead....

I hope to address the weakness/inconsistency next season by buckling down and hitting several thousand of them.

I practice my serve a lot. A tip that's been helping me a lot is practicing the OH with the balls that don't go over the net. When I finish the hopper of serves, I clean up the serves that didn't make it over the net with an OH from wherever they are lying.

I was struck by the ease with which I could hit a very good OH. It told be OH issues are mostly in the head and not technique. It's like when you can make a perfect return on a ball that's not in play and doesn't count. It's because there is no pressure and the biceps and triceps stop fighting each other.

Sure you have to move a few steps to get into the proper hitting platform for an OH but usually they need to be very small steps. Many folks get too close to the ball or right under it and have to correct at the last instant. The legs turn to concrete. I just hit a practice OH with the same motion I've been practicing my serve with and it feels so natural. It showed me how much the head and pressure has to do with miss-hitting .

Under recent match play I was pleased that I got my last four OH's in for winners, but what I sensed the most was the pressure of the shot.

Pioneer
11-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Second serve and overhead. I only make about 50% of my overheads.

stoo
11-26-2010, 10:44 AM
What shot are you missing?

Pretty much all of them....., and far too often.:cry:

Pioneer
11-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Oh yeah and drive volley.

So it's drive volley, second serve and overhead for me.

Angle Queen
11-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Consistent cleanly struck overhead....

I practice my serve a lot. A tip that's been helping me a lot is practicing the OH with the balls that don't go over the net. When I finish the hopper of serves, I clean up the serves that didn't make it over the net with an OH from wherever they are lying.OHs indeed seem to be quite the nemesis. I used to struggle with them too until my favored hitting partner suggested a different regiment: we ended each hitting session...with a series of OHs...and I worked on, ahem, angling them off (rather than trying to pound them deep). Why at the end of a practice? Because we're tired and it's easier for the "feeder" to feed lobs...and because, for the OH hitter, the muscles are as warm as they'll be...and if you can do it tired, you can do it fresh. Also, he reminded me...that as a ~100lb pip-squeak, I'm not going to out-power any (male) opponent. So I'm aiming for the outside (wide) corner of the service box. Unless they're standing outside the alley, they're not gonna get it, esp if I add any pace to it.

If you're alone, Tom's suggestion to hit the serving "misses" as OHs is a great one. And if you're with a cooperative partner, take just a few minutes at the end of every session. Ask them to hit you just a few OHs. Work on the placement first, then add the power. And then, they'll start to feel....gooooood.

Angle Queen
11-26-2010, 11:59 AM
A shot of Wild Turkey.Man (major assumption) after my heart, although I'm more of a Maker's Mark kinda gal. Manhattans are my drink of choice, but straight brown is never a bad choice.

mctennis
11-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Man (major assumption) after my heart, although I'm more of a Maker's Mark kinda gal. Manhattans are my drink of choice, but straight brown is never a bad choice.

Yep, man I am. Maker's mark is never a bad choice either. Let's have some of each!! \%/ \%/ \--/\--/ Cheers

Angle Queen
11-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Yep, man I am. Maker's mark is never a bad choice either. Let's have some of each!! \%/ \%/ \--/\--/ CheersThat was quick. No Wild Turkey in da House. MM will have to do. Bottoms up. War Eagle.

Sandwichman
11-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Definitely a good kicker. My second serve is good pace wise, but doesn't trouble anyone due to its lack of jump after hitting the ground. If I had that, then I would just choose being able to hit sharp angles off of almost any rally ball like I used to :(

LuckyR
11-26-2010, 06:05 PM
A lob that rivals my passing shots.

darrinbaker00
11-26-2010, 06:24 PM
I would like the ability to hit a high ball with my 1hbh. Low balls are fine, but high...sigh.

There's this Swiss dude who has the same problem. When you finally figure it out, you might want to give him a call. ;)

mctennis
11-26-2010, 10:09 PM
That was quick. No Wild Turkey in da House. MM will have to do. Bottoms up. War Eagle.

Here's looking at ya. Never had a bad drink of either one.
\_/ \_/ empty glasses make me sad. :(

SteveI
11-27-2010, 01:00 AM
I want my back and knees from about 20 years ago. I have to get to the ball before I can worry about the shot. Maybe a few shots before I hit the courts might help.. I would still be in pain..but would not care or feel it..:-)

zacinnc78
11-27-2010, 05:14 AM
definately overhead is the most lacking shot i have and another thing that would help would be being able to crush those deep -high bouncing pattycake shots some of my opponents love to hit (specially when returning my serve)

dennis10is
11-27-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm missing just one type of shot: those that goes over the net and inside the lines.

All my shots are around the net posts and on the line.

polski
11-28-2010, 08:49 AM
I'd love to be able to flatten out a 2HBH down the line while on the run. It makes it so hard to go to net against a player that can rip that shot.

TK6
11-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Missing an ultimate serve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvC33gSTSR4
(0:40)

stapletonj
11-28-2010, 02:06 PM
doubles return of serve, especially backhand...cant seem to chip it far enough away from poaching net man

Mauvaise
03-30-2011, 01:41 PM
doubles return of serve, especially backhand...cant seem to chip it far enough away from poaching net man

If you're returning from deuce, don't even worry about trying to keep it away from the poacher - when the net guy moves in to poach your shot, just hit the BH down the line behind him. Works every time! Well, until they learn that they need to cover the alley, then you can hit the back hand deep cross court to the server and not worry about the poach.

I would love to have a back hand slice. The ball looks so pretty floating across the court and at my level (3.0), they're the devil to return. My attempts at a slice usually turn into a 'drop lob', which can be effective, isn't nearly as pretty and all to often goes long.

I'd also like to learn an offensive lob and a drop shot. But I'm still young (in level, not in years), so I've got time.

jdubbs
03-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Kick serve.
Slice BH, though working on it.

Sintherius
03-30-2011, 02:14 PM
My second serve kick, and my down the line forehand. :/

dlk
03-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Running foward BH volley is what I'm working on. Last shot (no where close to mastering) that I worked on was the overhead from deep.

Cindysphinx
03-30-2011, 05:18 PM
If you are talking about shots I cannot hit in any way right now, I would say a slice FH. I cannot remember the last time I even attempted that shot, but I can think of lots of times when I wish I had it . . .

Cindysphinx
03-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Kick serve.

And golly-dang-it, I'm gonna ask Santa for it too.

Seriously, it's the "thing" I've decided to work on most this off-season.

Here's some incentive, then.

I now have my kick serve. It could be better, but I am perfectly willing to hit it break point down. Now I am working on placement and quality.

The incentive, though, is that having a kick serve has improved my other serve (slice). The kick makes you hit up. All the things that this requires (knee bend, tossing arm up) also help the slice serve. As it was explained to me, the slice/kick serve is a continuum. Once you can kick and once you can slice, you can use as much of one and as little of the other for any particular serve. Vary the type and amount of spin and vary the placement and returners will be driven insane.

There is no way for me to kick anyone a serve that knocks them into the back fence. It is nice to have Plan B if someone is grooving on my slice serve. My DFs are way, way down -- I didn't have any through four service games of 8.0 mixed, and I had several unreturned serves against the 3.5 guy and one against the 4.5 woman.

Go forth and kick, AngleQueen!!!

theyhatethecans
03-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Backhand and sometimes my serve is nowhere to be found

Inner Game
03-30-2011, 05:34 PM

If your playing USTA league tennis your missing every shot...the pro's have such a high skill level it not even funny...

But to answer your question in reverse order....if your 4.5 and under learn how to hit an American Twist serve and you'll never get broken....

For what its worth...

and yes....." He's Back"

Inner Game
03-30-2011, 05:36 PM
If you are talking about shots I cannot hit in any way right now, I would say a slice FH. I cannot remember the last time I even attempted that shot, but I can think of lots of times when I wish I had it . . .

How about all the times you can't get to the ball and have to hit a squash shot....come on Cindy...get real...

dennis10is
03-31-2011, 05:05 AM
I'm unable to serve for physical reasons, so an overhead serve would fill the biggest gap.

tennisjon
03-31-2011, 05:11 AM
Left handed I am missing a one-handed topspin backhand. Right handed I am missing a good first volley.

Cindysphinx
03-31-2011, 05:22 AM
How about all the times you can't get to the ball and have to hit a squash shot....come on Cindy...get real...

When I am pulled wide and can't get to the ball, I don't hit a squash shot. I wind up and slam the ball using my regular SW grip. The ball hits the back fence.

Like I said, I need to learn to hit a FH slice, but right now the thought doesn't even occur to me when it should.

Hewex
03-31-2011, 05:41 AM
A big fh, both with spin and flat. I'm getting pretty close though.

tennismonkey
03-31-2011, 05:59 AM
against 3.0's -- i have every shot in the book.
against 3.5's -- i have just about every shot in the book.
against 4.0's -- i have most of the shots in the book.
against 4.5's -- i have some of the shots in the book.
against 5.0's -- i have no shot.

JoeRo
03-31-2011, 05:59 AM
Sampras running forehand and flat serve/overhead :-?

jhick
03-31-2011, 06:10 AM
Lob and running FH/BH.

As I've aged and play more doubles these days, my lob has improved over what it used to be, but the FH/BH on the run has declined. Getting in better shape would probably help that a bit.