PDA

View Full Version : Poly/and or/Gut

levy1
11-25-2010, 05:47 AM
I am using Timo 17 main and VS Global Gut 17 Cross 35/40lbs

Love the pop and feel still just a touch stiff on the arm
Would stringing the mains with gut and the croses with timo change the feel?

How about using Timo 18 with the 17 gut, would that work. BTW, I never break strings and can always use extra power

Can someone suggest a co-poly with pop to use with the gut?
Thanks

63 year old aggressive 3.5 USTA

kevoT
11-25-2010, 06:02 AM
why not just use full gut? you'll get the extra power and comfort (maybe sacrifice a little spin).

levy1
11-25-2010, 06:09 AM
why not just use full gut? you'll get the extra power and comfort (maybe sacrifice a little spin).

Full gut does not seem to have the crispness I am looking for. It feels just a little soft to me unlike the poly/gut combo which has a crisper feeling that I am looking for.

Would you mind giving me your opinion on the questions.

ClubHoUno
11-25-2010, 07:57 AM
The latest TW University analysis clearly gives you a reply to your question - natty gut mains and poly crosses gives you better spin production than any other combo or full set out there.

It even trumps full poly in the spin department, even though some (try not to mention any names, but initials are GSM) thinks the natgut mains and poly cross hybrid is useless for normal club players and only suits guys like Djokovic and Federer. The TW University graph clearly prove they are WRONG, and may I dare say DEADLY WRONG !

Natty gut mains and poly crosses give you the far best spin production of any setup, it gives you the soft feel of the natural gut and the crisp controlled feel from the poly crosses, but it does not feel stiff like a poly mains will for some players.

Try it and see if you like it, I think you will :)

TIMO is one of my favorite polys along with Alu Power, Alu Fluoro and Alu Rough from Luxilon.

It will feel great with a natural gut in the mains, like VS Team 17.

levy1
11-25-2010, 11:25 AM
The latest TW University analysis clearly gives you a reply to your question - natty gut mains and poly crosses gives you better spin production than any other combo or full set out there.

It even trumps full poly in the spin department, even though some (try not to mention any names, but initials are GSM) thinks the natgut mains and poly cross hybrid is useless for normal club players and only suits guys like Djokovic and Federer. The TW University graph clearly prove they are WRONG, and may I dare say DEADLY WRONG !

Natty gut mains and poly crosses give you the far best spin production of any setup, it gives you the soft feel of the natural gut and the crisp controlled feel from the poly crosses, but it does not feel stiff like a poly mains will for some players.

Try it and see if you like it, I think you will :)

TIMO is one of my favorite polys along with Alu Power, Alu Fluoro and Alu Rough from Luxilon.

It will feel great with a natural gut in the mains, like VS Team 17.

Could you tell me the differences between power fluoro and rough as I have only used Timo
I wounder if 18 will give me a little more power and spin

ClubHoUno
11-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Could you tell me the differences between power fluoro and rough as I have only used Timo
I wounder if 18 will give me a little more power and spin

Power: Miidle of the road

Fluoro: A bit softer than Power, not quite the same feel as Power. Some prefer Fluoro over Power, others don't.

Rough: Same as Power, only grabs the ball a little tiny bit better than Power.

Your mileage may very well vary though, so test for yourself to be sure.

Lambsscroll
11-30-2010, 05:26 AM
I cant explain why but for me the setup that gives me the best control , power and feel is having a soft 16g string for the mains and a 17g stiff poly for the cross. I've tried a full bed of Natural gut and a full bed of various expensive polys and for some reason the playability is not as good.

downdaline
11-30-2010, 05:34 AM
I cant explain why but for me the setup that gives me the best control , power and feel is having a soft 16g string for the mains and a 17g stiff poly for the cross. I've tried a full bed of Natural gut and a full bed of various expensive polys and for some reason the playability is not as good.

Same here.

I actually started with 17g Nat Gut (VS Team) in the mains and Alu Power in the crosses. Great, but a little TOO powerful.

I invested in some Tonic+ 16g instead and voila! Perfect Control/Spin with accessible Power. Even if someone GAVE me VS Team for free, i'd probably want to trade it in for a 16g.

levy1
11-30-2010, 05:43 AM
I am going to try Timo 18 with Klip Nat gut 18 (mains)
I really like my current setup just want to see I can tell a difference. All of my setups have been with the natural gut in the crosses. With my current setup, Timo 17 Mains, Global Natl, 17 gut in crosses at 35lbs Timo and 40lbs Gut it is perfect for me. After I try the new setup I am thinking of going to my last change which would be 30 Poly and 35 gut.
62, aggressive USTA, 3.5