PDA

View Full Version : How to make a tennis lesson fun for 8 year olds??

johnathan smith777
06-08-2005, 06:31 AM
Any suggestions/games I can play with a couple of 8 year olds during our lessons. They are learning the basics right now, but i need some enjoyable games that we can play to make sure that they are having a good time.
Thanks for your help, JS

Kana Himezaki
06-08-2005, 07:21 AM
At about 7 or 8 kids are moving out of coordination and basic athletic ability to developing more racquet oriented skills.

How many 8 year olds? I help with some group lessons, with about four or five people. Once we've all warmed up and I've tried to focus on whatever I'm trying to get them to learn, I have them play points with each other. Whoever wins the point stays in, whoever loses the point moves out. I have them switch in accordingly.

Also, it's possible to try "Around the World". It generally only really works with at least five people though. Each junior moves in to hit the ball, and immediately runs to the other side. They can only lose a point two or three times. The objective is to stay in the game as much as possible, and it seems to be one of the most fun games for them. When only two people are left, they simply hit the ball, turn around once, and get back into ready position without switching sides.

You can also do the first game with doubles, that works just as well.

As for two people, I'm not exactly sure what games you could play. You could try having them both on one side, or switch in on the same side, and play "21" with you. So they're trying to get 21 points in total off you. Give extra points for finishing it off at the net, with an overhead, or whatever you're trying to teach them to do. You've said they're learning the basics, so don't play too hard. I'd feed it to them most of the time and try to develop confidence, but go all out if they're doing something you don't want them to do.

johnathan smith777
06-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks Kana,
These are little girls (beginners) they won't be hitting any over heads of volleys for a long time. We are still working on swinging low to high :)
I just need a few fillers to keep it fun for them while they still learn the correct grips and swing paths.
thanks, JS

krnboijunsung
06-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Give them candy everytime they get the ball in and hit with good form.

FedererUberAlles
06-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Everyone likes king of the hill ;) Even my high school team plays king of the hill when the coach allows us to

Jonnyf
06-08-2005, 01:13 PM
whats king of the hill is it champions or king of the coart??

papa
06-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Don't know if 21 is for 8-year olds but maybe for some. Some kids can really be motivated at this age - most aren't.

I'd suggest keeping it very simple, fun and short - fifteen or twenty minutes probably is a good time. I'd also suggest that you get a kids racquet and don't even begin to think a child can use a regular one - paddleball racquet will surfice nicely if you have one hanging around. I'd also consider getting some rubber foam balls which are available here at TW and places like Sports Authority.