PDA

View Full Version : Tecnifibre X-one Biphase 17 Gauge

BlxTennis
11-26-2010, 07:54 AM
I have not been playing tennis for the last 10years and I used to play with Synthetic guts. It seems there had been there are a lot of changes in the string technology. I got a set of Wilson NXT and really like the feel and bought some of the K-gut 17 but have not put them on the racquet yet. I then read about the X-1 Biphase and it's a highly rated string. I bought a set and put on my other racquet(Wilson Pro Staff 95). However, the string feels like, how should I say, no power? I hit the same way that I hit my forehand and single handed backhand but feels like the ball does not have the same power that the NXT has. I am probably a 4.0 to 4.5 player level. I used to play in high school tennis team and some tournaments. I feel good about my FH & BH swing. I had it strung at 62lb on both of my PS 95. So what am I missing or not doing right with this highly rated string? I feel a bit disappointed after reading all the reviews of this string. I hope k-gut will be better.

BlxTennis
11-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Oh, one thing to add about the ball does not feel as much power as when I was hitting with NXT. I feel like I have to do more leg, waist and shoulder turn in order to hit the ball hard comparing using NXT with my normal swings.

jim e
11-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Each string has their own characteristics, and each person has their own likes of such.
That said, since you like the NXT, then why look further? Just stick with the NXT.
I used the NXT for a while, and it does not have enough power for me. I use all VS gut, as nothing has the comfort, feel, and power of that string. Many others here will not even think of hitting with gut.
If you like the NXT, just stick with that.

mikeler
11-26-2010, 09:47 AM
You could also try stringing your rackets at a lower tension to get more pop out of the string.

BlxTennis
11-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Well, since X-1 has such highly rated reviews, I thought I would give it a try.

Netspirit
11-26-2010, 12:30 PM
X-1 starts stiff, then plays better, then gains too much power before breaking. So, just keep playing for now, do not cut it yet.

I like NRG-2 from TF better. It is just more uniform.

Also, you should string looser if it is cold where you are.

JT_2eighty
11-26-2010, 12:34 PM
It probably gets high reviews for its control characteristics for a multi. Usually a control-oriented string lacks power, while most multis are known for their power. Sadly I've not used either string due to their price, as I'll pay a few extra bucks every time for Pacific Classic Gut at $26; when I use multis I try to stay at or below $11-12. But that's just me, we're all going to have different tastes for strings, so if you do like the NXT and play with confidence while also it fits your budget, then keep using that. Of course, it's also fun to try other things out there, so trying new stuff based on good reviews is a great place to start. Happy hitting.

BlxTennis
11-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Thanks JT & Netspirit. Yes, I only had the opportunity to play with the string for about half hour. So I will play with it more when weather gets better. JT, that's exactly it, I want to get a feel of different kinds of strings to see what SPIN strings, power strings and control strings feel like. I heard great things about LaserFiber Super Natural Gut but too bad that the company has some bad reviews. In any case, this is exactly the feedback I needed. Thanks. I will keep playing wiht X-1 see if it gets better.

netguy
11-27-2010, 07:45 AM
I've played with many multis including X-1 and NRG-2.
I agree with Netspirit. NRG-2 is more uniform during its life time than X-1.