PDA

View Full Version : Gut experts on storage.

andre1717
11-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Hi Ive been offered some Babolat string thats oldish ( old style packet) thats been kept in a garage = hottish in summer , freezing in winter. Do you recon the gut is ok , or could it be ruined even though its in its sealed packet unopened .Thanks

njsigman
11-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Don't bother. If it doesn't break while you string it, it will break as soon as you play with it. Gut must be well taken care of...

scotus
11-26-2010, 10:24 AM
The age of gut does not matter too much. Babolat will last you a few decades at least.

However, although the foil package will protect the gut from moisture, I would think it ineffective against extreme temperatures.

For example, if you put your gut in the freezer, it will freeze even with the sealed foil package. And I don't think I would want to pay for that.

For gut in foil package, I would store it near room temperature.

meowmix
11-26-2010, 10:25 AM
If it's free, take it.

If it's not... then it's probably not a good idea. Those extreme temperatures have pretty much rendered that gut... useless.

andre1717
11-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Thank you guys.

brownbearfalling
11-27-2010, 11:23 PM
The string sound be fine. I used some ~4-5 year old klipper USA gut which is not pacakaged in a vacuum sealed packaged and it is fine. If you are worried just string it in a hybrid in the mains that way you are not pulling the through crosses. And use a soft multifilament for the crosses.

Bent
11-28-2010, 12:43 AM
I have used many kinds of gut. Some 20 yrs.+ and probably stored in wrong ways.

With different results. I would only use it in my own rackets accepting the risk of it breaking early.

uk_skippy
11-28-2010, 04:48 AM
To the OP, is this the stuff which is on sale on eb@y UK? If so, I'm interested in that stuff, but he seems to have a lot of this (expensive) string.

On another point, even though some gut such as Babolat gut is stored in foil packs and vaccum sealed, you'll know if it will perform at its best when you remove the clip holding the string. If it is lively and tries to 'jump' out of your hand it'll be good. It it just sits there, then you'll be ok to string it, but it won't play its best. Some of the sets that the pros have supplied to us are the same as in the 2nd scenario, possible due to its age (we get alot of string in old packages especially Prince & Babolat). This 'problem' was told to me by a well known top stringer.

I've also had some Wilson sets where the gut was slightly yellow-ish. I asked Ron Yu about this and he said that the change is colour is down to the food the cows have eaten. If they've been feed on hay before being killed, like they'd eat in the winter then the gut will be yellow-ish, if the gut is the usual white then they've been eating grass.

Regards

Paul

pheonix6579
11-28-2010, 05:22 AM
^^^

Very interesting!

Thanks Paul for that little nugget.

duusoo
11-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Gut lasts forever! This summer I strung a racket with a package of Victor Imperial. I don't think it's been made for 25+ yrs. I had been careful with storage, it was in a zip-lock bag, but that is a long time, played great, still hasn't broken.