PDA

View Full Version : Beginner carries the ball?

A10sPlayer
06-08-2005, 07:05 AM
Hello,

* I just joined the forum
* I havenít played in 7 years (used to play a lot), and
* Iím now teaching my wife and 12-year-old daughter!

(semi-western forehand, 2handed backhand)

SoÖ.

Sometimes when they hit the ball they donít really hit it. It is more like the ball ride from one side of the racket head to the next then they kinda push it off? Iím not sure how to analyze this? I happens on both strokes.

Help please?

To clarify they simply donít get a solid hit. It would be like trying to catch the ball on the racket and then throw it back, the ball actually stay on the racket head and moves across it.

Thanks in advance!

\A10sPlayer

Rickson
06-08-2005, 07:11 AM
That's not an illegal hit unless the ball actually leaves the racquet and is hit twice.

A10sPlayer
06-08-2005, 09:16 AM
That's not an illegal hit unless the ball actually leaves the racquet and is hit twice.

I was actually trying to stop it, not see if it is legal.

It is definitely not intentional.

TennsDog
06-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Keeping a firm wrist is one of the hardest things for beginners to do and it may be the cause of this problem. If they have the racket forward before contact and don't keep it firm, the ball will push the racket head back and twist it. Firm wrist and solid contact are the cures, but both only come with much practice. Try telling them to keep the wrist firm and drive through the ball, not to be confused with a stiff wrist and hitting harder. Also, try to encourage the low to high motion.

kevhen
06-08-2005, 10:50 AM
It's legal even if hit twice, as long as it wasn't intentional and just one non-stop swinging motion. They may be hitting the frame and having the ball redirect to the other side of the frame where it's struck again. We all do this from time to time but beginners do it with much more frequency. Just try to get them to focus on hitting the ball in the exact center of the strings but it takes alot of practice.

papa
06-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Hello,

* I just joined the forum
* I haven’t played in 7 years (used to play a lot), and
* I’m now teaching my wife and 12-year-old daughter!

(semi-western forehand, 2handed backhand)

So….

Sometimes when they hit the ball they don’t really hit it. It is more like the ball ride from one side of the racket head to the next then they kinda push it off? I’m not sure how to analyze this? I happens on both strokes.

Help please?

To clarify they simply don’t get a solid hit. It would be like trying to catch the ball on the racket and then throw it back, the ball actually stay on the racket head and moves across it.

Thanks in advance!

\A10sPlayer

Well, cheer up, some actually teach new players this catch and throw process. It progresses pretty quickly so I'd give it a few sessions and keep it fun, simple and short or you're not going to be playing for another seven years.

Maybe, as a suggestion of course, when the time come prehaps you all might benefit from a lesson or two - just to make sure your all on the same track. Nothing seems to discourage begineers like being taught by someone who is not quite up to snuff themselves - seven years is a long time to be off.

Good luck, sounds like your interested in doing the right thing and that is always half the battle.