PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Natural Gut

Icedorb217
11-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Anyone try this out? Or have a set?

meowmix
11-27-2010, 11:12 AM
I just emailed Mitchell for more information on the string. Hopefully he'll provide me with more info.

Buckethead
11-27-2010, 11:34 AM
I just emailed Mitchell for more information on the string. Hopefully he'll provide me with more info.

Do you think He will tell you where He buys it from and put the Genesis name??:)

meowmix
11-27-2010, 01:58 PM
From Mitchell

"The natural Gut by Genesis is made in New Zealand and I can assure you that there is no other natural gut out on the market that is similar to ours. It is of the highest quality and has received excellent reviews from all of our playtesters and received very positive reviews from members of the USRSA staff. We also offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on it."

drakulie
11-27-2010, 02:21 PM
I've been lucky enough to playtest the string and it is very good (16 g) Great consistency and solid coating. I am currently playtesting the 18 gauge. More to follow.

scotus
11-27-2010, 02:27 PM
New Zealand, isn't that where Klip is made? Or is that Australia?

meowmix
11-27-2010, 02:29 PM
I've been lucky enough to playtest the string and it is very good (16 g) Great consistency and solid coating. I am currently playtesting the 18 gauge. More to follow.

Yup. They'll be sending me a set to playtest, probably the 16g. We'll see how that goes.

drakulie
11-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Yup. They'll be sending me a set to playtest, probably the 16g. We'll see how that goes.

Look forward to reading your review. I'm currently stringing for the USTA National Clay Court Championships (30's), so haven't had a chance to re-string my frame with the 18 gauge. I hit today with the number 5 seed for about an hour and a half, and will hit again with him tomorrow AM. Afterwards, as soon as I get a chance will re-string my own frame with the 18 gauge, and will write up a review.

Tennis_Crazed
11-27-2010, 07:58 PM
New Zealand, isn't that where Klip is made? Or is that Australia?

yes I believe Klip makes its natural gut from that part of the world

Icedorb217
11-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Nice to see that you guys have gotten it. Any way I can get in on this playtest? Also its pretty cheap if you consider it a mid range gut.

meowmix
11-28-2010, 12:31 AM
For me, I playtest strings and write blogs for the depot, so I occasionally get offered free strings to review in exchange for quality reviews. As for Drakulie, I'm under the impression that Alex and Mitchell give out sets to test to pros in the local area. My former coach actually played a tournie with Drakulie... so I know how good Drakulie really is.

kkm
11-28-2010, 05:09 AM
From Mitchell

"The natural Gut by Genesis is made in New Zealand and I can assure you that there is no other natural gut out on the market that is similar to ours. It is of the highest quality and has received excellent reviews from all of our playtesters and received very positive reviews from members of the USRSA staff. We also offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on it."

New Zealand would mean Pacific natural gut. Australia is Klip.

Steve Huff
11-28-2010, 07:48 PM
I was told by the distributor that they would not carry Pacific Gut any more because Genesis gut was much better, and at the same price. I haven't ordered any yet, but I have enjoyed Pacific Tough Gut. If its better, I'll be impressed. I think Klip Legend hits very well too, but I have noticed some rough areas in it lately, although it doesn't seem to affect the playability.

meowmix
11-28-2010, 09:12 PM
I was told by the distributor that they would not carry Pacific Gut any more because Genesis gut was much better, and at the same price. I haven't ordered any yet, but I have enjoyed Pacific Tough Gut. If its better, I'll be impressed. I think Klip Legend hits very well too, but I have noticed some rough areas in it lately, although it doesn't seem to affect the playability.

I actually have half a set of pacific classic 16 that I'll string up with NXT control crosses, that I'll be comparing head to head with the full genesis, as well as full prince ng 16.

Should be an interesting experience, seeing if the genesis really is better than the pacific, and if it can compare to bab. Unfortunately, I have no experience with tough gut, prime or imperial.

acer4tennis
11-29-2010, 07:53 AM

we will see, if it's better, but today ( Cyber Monday) for $23 you can not go wrong, even if it's almost as good. :)

Tar Heel Tennis
11-29-2010, 09:26 AM
we will see, if it's better, but today ( Cyber Monday) for $23 you can not go wrong, even if it's almost as good. :)

would you please send me a pm? would like to know where I can try this string

hoodjem
11-29-2010, 09:33 AM
I hope it is better than that South American stuff, Gaucho Gut. Three out of four sets broke either during stringing or in the bag before I could hit with it.

mikeler
11-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Look forward to reading your review. I'm currently stringing for the USTA National Clay Court Championships (30's), so haven't had a chance to re-string my frame with the 18 gauge. I hit today with the number 5 seed for about an hour and a half, and will hit again with him tomorrow AM. Afterwards, as soon as I get a chance will re-string my own frame with the 18 gauge, and will write up a review.

What level would you say the #5 seed is? 5.5 maybe?

scotus
11-29-2010, 10:57 AM
I actually have half a set of pacific classic 16 that I'll string up with NXT control crosses, that I'll be comparing head to head with the full genesis, as well as full prince ng 16.

Should be an interesting experience, seeing if the genesis really is better than the pacific, and if it can compare to bab. Unfortunately, I have no experience with tough gut, prime or imperial.

Either put NXT on all crosses, or just compare full gut to full gut.

I don't think you could make a fair comparison bet Pacific and Genesis by comparing a hybrid to a full gut.

scotus
11-29-2010, 10:57 AM
I hope it is better than that South American stuff, Gaucho Gut. Three out of four sets broke either during stringing or in the bag before I could hit with it.

You mean the Indian stuff re-branded?

meowmix
11-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Either put NXT on all crosses, or just compare full gut to full gut.

I don't think you could make a fair comparison bet Pacific and Genesis by comparing a hybrid to a full gut.

I may or may not compare the guts head to head... I don't think Mitchell wants me to be sticking in NXT as my cross when I test out the Genesis.

Tar Heel Tennis
11-29-2010, 12:38 PM
where can this Genesis Natural Gut be found (purchased)?

TIA

Bud
11-29-2010, 01:54 PM
What's the price of the Genesis gut?

meowmix
11-29-2010, 02:13 PM
It is currently $23 a set due to cyber Monday sales. That will rise to $26.90 (regular price). Please google to find where it is.

Bud
11-29-2010, 05:10 PM
It is currently $23 a set due to cyber Monday sales. That will rise to $26.90 (regular price). Please google to find where it is.

Thanks.

Will stick with the Global for $11 per set :)

Blee1613
11-29-2010, 05:16 PM
I looked it up on tennisxpress, Midwesstsports, google, etc. I still can't find where you can buy this.

scotus
11-30-2010, 12:56 AM
A $27 price tag and no foil packaging?

Tar Heel Tennis
11-30-2010, 04:49 AM

wow. i did a google search, several in fact, before making either of my posts. i have yet to find any retailer for this string. hell, even the genesis website doesn't have the natural gut listed! aside from tennis depot blog, there is no other mention of genesis natural gut outside of TT.

so, once again, i will ask the question - where can this string be purchased?
:-?

Mig1NC
11-30-2010, 06:33 AM
I just googled "genesis natural gut tennis string" without the quotes and it is the third hit down on the list. At least that will be the blog about the new string with a link to buy it.

Tar Heel Tennis
11-30-2010, 06:41 AM
I just googled "genesis natural gut tennis string" without the quotes and it is the third hit down on the list. At least that will be the blog about the new string with a link to buy it.

funny.....when i do the exact same thing, i get this....

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS399US399&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=genesis+natural+gut+tennis+string

and i still can't find a place to purchase the string..... :confused:

mikeler
11-30-2010, 06:55 AM
wow. i did a google search, several in fact, before making either of my posts. i have yet to find any retailer for this string. hell, even the genesis website doesn't have the natural gut listed! aside from tennis depot blog, there is no other mention of genesis natural gut outside of TT.

There are 2 key words in your post here that shall lead you to it.

WilsonPlayer101
11-30-2010, 07:45 AM
I'll stick with Klip.

Bud
11-30-2010, 08:15 AM

See bold above

I just looked and it's on their site

rudester
12-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Is anyone ready to report back on this string. Just had a set arrive in the mail. and i can assure you just by looking at it that the quality is far better than Gaucho. Just wondering if anybody else has any more feedback
thanks

tray999
12-07-2010, 02:03 AM
I wrote this in another thread, so here is my review:

I strung my Babolat Pure Storm LTD with a full bed of Genesis's Natural Gut HT130. I bought the string to test because I have a few stringing customers that use VS and I thought I might be able to suggest Genesis's gut as a $15.00 cheaper substitute. I strung it at 62 pounds using my Babolat Star 5 set with a 5 percent pre-stretch. After stringing, I measured the dynamic tension with my ERT 300 and it measured 52. After sitting overnight I got a dt measurement of 50. So only a small loss, not bad.

I hit with it today for two and a half hours and I must say I was very, very impressed. There was power and control along with comfort and feel. I must admit it was very VS like in every respect. I can not speak yet on durability as I only have a couple of hours playing time on it. But there was no movement, no notching, and no fraying.

As for stringing, I had some coil memory and of course you have to take your time stringing any gut. You have to take extra care to insure you have no kinks or twists, but that's the same with all guts. So I can say I had no stringing issues.

I stopped using VS due to the high cost, but at $27.00 a set, I may have to rethink my position. I currently use Genesis Typhoon (which I really like) and I will try a hybrid next with the HT130 in the mains and Typhoon in the crosses. But until then, I will enjoy using Genesis new gut!

parasailing
12-08-2010, 12:39 AM
tray999 - keep us updated on the durability of the string. I am also looking for an alternative to VS Gut and if Genesis comes close to VS gut, I will give the string a shot as well.

Is the consistency of the string good and is it just as easy to string as VS Gut?

tjwalker097
12-08-2010, 05:11 AM
I don't think it going to come even close to VS, but idea of selling in clear plastic is good. I like it, you can see what you are buying before even opening.
I think in terms of keeping it, it would same as in a foil? Can someone correct me.

meowmix
12-08-2010, 08:49 AM
I don't think it going to come even close to VS, but idea of selling in clear plastic is good. I like it, you can see what you are buying before even opening.
I think in terms of keeping it, it would same as in a foil? Can someone correct me.

AFAIK, Genesis is only selling it in clear plastic for the time being- it will soon move to foil packets. The plastic bags do not keep as well as foil.

tray999
12-08-2010, 12:34 PM
tray999 - keep us updated on the durability of the string. I am also looking for an alternative to VS Gut and if Genesis comes close to VS gut, I will give the string a shot as well.

Is the consistency of the string good and is it just as easy to string as VS Gut?

parasailing,

I have played with and strung many racquet's with VS, so I am quite familiar with it. With that said, my opinion is that Genesis's Natural Gut HT130 is just a notch below VS in overall playability and quality. The two packets that I received are overall excellent in consistency. I did find a little more coil memory with the HT130 then the VS, but it was not excessive. I must add that I now only have four and a half hours playing with it and I still have no movement, no notching, and no fraying. I am just starting to show a little wear in the sweet spot, but totally acceptable. I just checked the dynamic tension with my ERT 300 and it measured 44 from the 52 right after stringing. That's giving me a 15 percent loss over a week with four and half hours of playing time. Very acceptable to me.

At this point in my testing, my opinion is that the HT130 looks to be a real bargain in the gut string market place. But I am still early in my testing.......

parasailing
12-08-2010, 12:40 PM
parasailing,

I have played with and strung many racquet's with VS, so I am quite familiar with it. With that said, my opinion is that Genesis's Natural Gut HT130 is just a notch below VS in overall playability and quality. The two packets that I received are overall excellent in consistency. I did find a little more coil memory with the HT130 then the VS, but it was not excessive. I must add that I now only have four and a half hours playing with it and I still have no movement, no notching, and no fraying. I am just starting to show a little wear in the sweet spot, but totally acceptable. I just checked the dynamic tension with my ERT 300 and it measured 44 from the 52 right after stringing. That's giving me a 15 percent loss over a week with four and half hours of playing time. Very acceptable to me.

At this point in my testing, my opinion is that the HT130 looks to be a real bargain in the gut string market. But I am still early in my testing.......

Thanks for the update as I am pretty sure many of us are eager for a cheaper alternative to VS Gut. Have you ever tried other types such as Pacific and Klip and if so how would you compare it to Genesis?

tray999
12-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the update as I am pretty sure many of us are eager for a cheaper alternative to VS Gut. Have you ever tried other types such as Pacific and Klip and if so how would you compare it to Genesis?

parasailing,

I have not tried or strung either because I was a fan of VS for so many years. But the price of VS and the consent lure to try some other strings made me look at what is else was available, like my current go to string, Typhoon. But I have been mostly a gut user since 1975. I would try other strings, but I always came back to gut. I would always keep one or two racquet's strung with either VS or Wilson's gut and have one or two strung with something new to try.

parasailing
12-08-2010, 09:34 PM
parasailing,

I have not tried or strung either because I was a fan of VS for so many years. But the price of VS and the consent lure to try some other strings made me look at what is else was available, like my current go to string, Typhoon. But I have been mostly a gut user since 1975. I would try other strings, but I always came back to gut. I would always keep one or two racquet's strung with either VS or Wilson's gut and have one or two strung with something new to try.

Tray999 - I am glad Typhoon lead you to the genesis gut. Based on your past experiences with VS Gut, this bodes well for people on this board who can't or don't want to pay for the high price of VS Gut even if it is the best. Having a brand that is perhaps a slight notch lower in quality but great in price would be such a blessing. I remembered early last year when VS Gut was around $35 before the price jumped on them a few months later.

Kcraig
01-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Tray999--you still using the Genesis gut? How was the overall durability? I have always been impressed with the Genesis products-and before my tricep/elbow issues, I was loving typhoon! Currently testing a slew of multis, but nothing is blowing me away and durability is definately an issue with multis. I was also a huge fan of Pacific Tough Gut/Polyforce (gut mains) and could usually get a very solid 15-18hrs out of it with excellent playability from start to finish! Considering a full set of gut--but to be honest am a little scared I would like it too much and it can get pretty pricey:-?

levy1
01-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks.

Will stick with the Global for $11 per set :)

I used Global with no problem. Would still use it if they made 18G

rudester
01-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Strung up Genesis Natural Gut/Typhoon, have not used global gut due to bad experience with Gaucho, (i know it is different company but do not want to dabble in cheap guts again)
So far i am enjoying the Genesis hybrid in Vantage 95, much better than multifibre hybrids i have tried. Because of weather have not played with it a whole lot but it was easy to string, and so far has performed nicely.

tray999
01-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Tray999--you still using the Genesis gut? How was the overall durability? I have always been impressed with the Genesis products-and before my tricep/elbow issues, I was loving typhoon! Currently testing a slew of multis, but nothing is blowing me away and durability is definately an issue with multis. I was also a huge fan of Pacific Tough Gut/Polyforce (gut mains) and could usually get a very solid 15-18hrs out of it with excellent playability from start to finish! Considering a full set of gut--but to be honest am a little scared I would like it too much and it can get pretty pricey:-?

Kcraig,

While I really liked my full bed of Genesis Natural Gut I am loving my hybrid of Genesis Natural Gut (mains) and Typhoon (crosses) same as rudester. Of my four racquet's, I have two strung with the above hybrid, one all Genesis gut and one all Typhoon. The durability of the Genesis Gut has been good in all three racquet's. I believe I have found a winner in the hybrid of gut and Typhoon.

Kcraig
01-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Kcraig,

While I really liked my full bed of Genesis Natural Gut I am loving my hybrid of Genesis Natural Gut (mains) and Typhoon (crosses) same as rudester. Of my four racquet's, I have two strung with the above hybrid, one all Genesis gut and one all Typhoon. The durability of the Genesis Gut has been good in all three racquet's. I believe I have found a winner in the hybrid of gut and Typhoon.

Gut mains/Poly is by far an unreal combo--especially when fresh!! I actually came into a ridiculous deal on a set of Pacific Classic and am going to have a full job strung up and test out. I was always surprised how much durability i got out of the gut/poly setup--esp with a few string savers installed. Usually a solid 18hrs

parasailing
01-03-2011, 03:42 PM
What tension are you guys stringing up the gut mains and poly crosses at?

Kcraig
01-03-2011, 04:57 PM

During the summer/warmer months I strung it at 58/55. With it cooler I would drop the tension down 2lbs on each.

tray999
01-04-2011, 04:06 PM

60 mains and 57 crosses.

levy1
01-04-2011, 04:16 PM

40 gut 35 Timo poly

ssjadway
01-05-2011, 05:55 PM
I have used Babolat VS Touch on occasion and more often the cheaper Tonic. The sweetest hybrid I have found so far is Tonic or Touch on the mains and Technifibre Red Code (16 gauge in each case) on the crosses. Lovely feel, power on my 6.1 Blx Tour 90s and on Microgel Prestige Pros, far better than similar hybrids using Pro Hurricane or Alu Rough. The Red Code may not 'pocket' the ball as well as the Pro Hurricane or Alu.... not sure.

The Global Gut is a decent clone - at the price it's a steal. But it has to be used gingerly - should not be prestretched except very slightly and tension at most 55 lbs, preferably 53. Otherwise it can break - I had 3 half-sets break but it could have been careless stringing. The last 4 half-sets, crossed (and in one case 'mained') with Alu Rough and Tourna Big Hitter Blue rough (amazingly close to the Alu for my level of play and softer than the Alu) did not break and have stood up to over a dozen hours of use on a pair of Dunlop Aerogel 200s, 18 x 20 stringing. Haven't broken, though 1 of the Global mains started to fray early but hasn't snapped yet. I actually used 53 lbs on the Global on mains with 56-57 lbs on crosses with either Tourna or Alu, and have had great results. The feel from the Global is a good 90% of what you get from Babolat at a fraction of the price, but Babolat remains the best having been around for decades.

Fedace
01-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Finally Play tested today. Hybrid with PHT. Impressive power about same as X-1 biphase. but what blew my mind was the Control. I was hitting the ball as hard as i can on every shot and i still had Pin-point accuracy. this is not possible with X-1 biphase.
I think the Standard of all Gut string is Babolat TEam or Thermogut.
1. Babolat Team or Feel gut
2. Genesis Natural gut
3. BDE natural gut---Premium, best they make
4. Babolat Tonic gut
5. Bow brand natural gut
6. all the rest

YES this Genesis natural is that impressive. I really can't tell the difference between this one and Babolat team gut.
ONLY ONLY negative is that this one lost tension just a tiny bit faster than Babolat team gut did.

Fedace
01-09-2011, 05:07 AM
I wonder if TW will carry this impressive natural gut soon. this is premium gut in the market today. and the Price is very reasonable. it is only 1/2 the price of Babolat gut but the performance is right up there with the best.
This string is nothing like those Cheap stuff like Titan, Klip, or Global gut.

JoelDali
01-09-2011, 05:14 AM
I wonder if TW will carry this impressive natural gut soon. this is premium gut in the market today. and the Price is very reasonable. it is only 1/2 the price of Babolat gut but the performance is right up there with the best.
This string is nothing like those Cheap stuff like Titan, Klip, or Global gut.

If Klahn doesn't use it then I won't either.

This is the clear measure of a great string.

Fedace
01-09-2011, 01:08 PM

why are being sarcastic ? This gut is truly exceptional without paying $48 per set of Babolat team gut. BDE used to be my choice in gut but they had raised their price as well so that limited its use. Now, Genesis at $26 is as good as a Natural gut is going to get.

rudester
01-09-2011, 01:12 PM

Must admit i had to google Klahn, still think Genesis Natural Gut is a decent string.

JoelDali
01-09-2011, 01:31 PM
why are being sarcastic ? This gut is truly exceptional without paying $48 per set of Babolat team gut. BDE used to be my choice in gut but they had raised their price as well so that limited its use. Now, Genesis at $26 is as good as a Natural gut is going to get.

$48 is sky high, I only pay $12 a set. My uncle Jarvis works on the babolat cow farm.

:D