PDA

View Full Version : Forten Nylon 16

MuscleWeave
11-27-2010, 01:17 PM
This string is very inexpensive at $16.99 per 660' reel, but it's meant for practicing your stringing. I haven't played with it yet, but it makes weaving your cross strings very easy and setting your clamp tightness and getting through blocked holes very difficult. It is very soft, with a slick surface. I would give it a play, but at this time of year, I'm saving my recreational dollars for skiing.

Larrysümmers
11-27-2010, 02:09 PM
i love this string. it goes perfect in my racket as a hybrid.

ace0001a
11-27-2010, 02:19 PM
i love this string. it goes perfect in my racket as a hybrid.

Yup, Forten Nylon works great in a hybrid with Polys. I've even hybrided with expensive Luxilon ALU. It's kind of mushy in a full job by itself, but is not bad in my opinion and very comfortable...and of course you can't beat the price.

Larrysümmers
11-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Yup, Forten Nylon works great in a hybrid with Polys. I've even hybrided with expensive Luxilon ALU. It's kind of mushy in a full job by itself, but is not nad in my opinion and very comfortable...and of course you can't beat the price.

i used to play it full at 65 on a pk saber mid. great S&V combo

Kenny022593
11-27-2010, 06:18 PM
I love this string. It is so soft and that is one of the reasons I won't switch. Another being the price :)

forthegame
11-27-2010, 06:21 PM
I love this string. It is so soft and that is one of the reasons I won't switch. Another being the price :)

Does it work well as a full bed? Thinking of buying it just for the fun of it. Even with shipping to Europe it's still very good value!

Kenny022593
11-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Does it work well as a full bed? Thinking of buying it just for the fun of it. Even with shipping to Europe it's still very good value!

It works for me. There are strings that are better, one being the 361 Nation string, but people have said that is average at best. My arm can't take Poly so, I am using this. It works, I like it, and it is cheap. If you don't like a soft, not firm like poly string bed, then you won't like it.

Tension goes out after about a week so probably 8 hours?

forthegame
11-27-2010, 06:33 PM
It works for me. There are strings that are better, one being the 361 Nation string, but people have said that is average at best. My arm can't take Poly so, I am using this. It works, I like it, and it is cheap. If you don't like a soft, not firm like poly string bed, then you won't like it.

Tension goes out after about a week so probably 8 hours?

How does it compare to Gosen or Forten? I've tried Prince but didn't like it too much. Used Gosen and Forten much more often.

As a guide, I felt the Gosen made my racquet too boardy! Granted I may have strung it too tight..

SteveI
11-27-2010, 06:34 PM

I only use it a full bed for the HS players I string for. Plays ok for a few hours IMO (I have tested it myself). Plays soft...not really a great playing string... great for crosses. I picked up two reels here for $12.00/reel and still have a bit left. I have it in blue.. and our local HS colors are Blue and Gold.. so my daughter loves the way it looks in her frame as does many of the other girls. :-). Great for hard hitters for a few hours. $.66 per string job...humm

Kenny022593
11-27-2010, 06:48 PM
How does it compare to Gosen or Forten? I've tried Prince but didn't like it too much. Used Gosen and Forten much more often.

As a guide, I felt the Gosen made my racquet too boardy! Granted I may have strung it too tight..

I'm assuming you mean OGSM? I haven't played with Forten Sweet so someone else will have to chime in on that.

The Gosen I felt was a decent amount stiffer than the Forten. Same connectedness (if that is a word) with the racquet, just stiffer.

Tennis_Crazed
11-27-2010, 08:57 PM

Comparison to Gosen as a hybrid anyone?? Thanks

ace0001a
11-28-2010, 04:22 AM
As I mentioned, I think it's great stuff that can't be beat at the price. I do feel it's a little mushy in a full bed because I've always preferred the crispy feel of Prince Original Synthetic or Gosen OG Micro. But yeah, it is great for people who have arm problems are who simply prefer a softer feel since strings like Prince Synthetic or Gosen OGM can feel a bit boardy if strung too tight. I've only strung Forten Nylon as a full bed a couple of times as I almost always use it as a cross string when hybriding with a poly.

SteveI
11-30-2010, 05:25 AM

I have used Forten Nylon 16 (Blue) and Gosen OG Sheep 17 (nat) as a cross with polys. The Forten Nylon seems to deaden the stringbed on my case. Gosen OG Sheep 17 (nat) seems to generate more power and spin and creates a much more live stringbed. The Forten Nylon does seem to play mushy.. and it feels as if the string is bleeding off some of the power. As far as using it in a full bed or as a main string.. not really a very precise string.. nice to use as practice (drilling) set-up. I use it to string my teaching frame.. at low tension it great for feeding balls and is very easy on the arm. I hope that helped!

Steve

ace0001a
11-30-2010, 06:43 AM

Since Forten Nylon 16 is a soft and "mushy" string, I feel it works best with stiffer polys to soften up the string bed and give a standard-synthetic-gut-like "crispy" feel in such a setup...sort of like when people use a multifilament with poly, but WAY cheaper. I have a reel of Forten Nylon 16 White that I use myself. I haven't tried it yet with a softer new generation copoly, but I suspect in that case, what SteveI is saying is true. Still, I have to reiterate that it's arguably one of the best values for string on the market.

In my experience with Gosen OG Micro, it's one of my favorite standard synthetic guts and I think it gives a more crispy feel to any hybrid with with poly compared to Forten Nylon. When used with the softer copolys (soft by poly standards), I think it maintains a crispy and live feeling string bed and does have more power as SteveI points out.

ace0001a
11-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Also to add, Forten Nylon makes for a good cheap hybrid when used with polys like Gosen Polylon. But I think in general, it works good with any stiff polys.

Bedrock
11-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Forten Nylon 16 - is very easy to string(Getting through blocked holes without any problems - no pathfinder, just cut the string to make a sharp edge ).
(Using of different colors for main and cross also can be helpful.)
Easy to make knots.
Durable strings (just as durable as many polyesters).
Power within the range I like.
Very elastic. Spin friendly.

Forten Nylon 16 Vs Gosen ProForm 15L.
more friendly to arm that Gosen.
more spin and power.

Kenny022593
11-30-2010, 11:24 AM
I have used Forten Nylon 16 (Blue) and Gosen OG Sheep 17 (nat) as a cross with polys. The Forten Nylon seems to deaden the stringbed on my case. Gosen OG Sheep 17 (nat) seems to generate more power and spin and creates a much more live stringbed. The Forten Nylon does seem to play mushy.. and it feels as if the string is bleeding off some of the power. As far as using it in a full bed or as a main string.. not really a very precise string.. nice to use as practice (drilling) set-up. I use it to string my teaching frame.. at low tension it great for feeding balls and is very easy on the arm. I hope that helped!

Steve

Where did you get the reel in blue?

SteveI
11-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Where did you get the reel in blue?

There was a local vendor selling moving some a year or so back. He does not seem to carry it any longer. It is not the a normal color being offered now.

Kenny022593
11-30-2010, 01:18 PM
There was a local vendor selling moving some a year or so back. He does not seem to carry it any longer. It is not the a normal color being offered now.

Thanks for the Info. Maybe I can find some online still I will look around!

Larrysümmers
11-30-2010, 01:52 PM
In full bed i like to string it higher around 62 and i really like in my oversize tweener haha

kiteboard
11-30-2010, 03:07 PM
STring is interesting. Many use cheap strings and are happy with them. That's why polyester was invented in the first place. Kirschbaum nitro. Super smash spiky. I still have three reels of 1.20mm super smash if anyone is interested in them.