PDA

View Full Version : a mental mess

ardew
06-08-2005, 08:40 AM
That's what my coach in college used to call me.
I started my own usta team this year 3.5 level just so I can play with friends and get lots of playing time (last year i joined a team and was limited to a couple of matches). Needless to say we're not doing so well 0-4. In practice we could all be considered 4.0 players, Its just during match play the confidence level just drops. We're young guys (23-32) playing older more competitive guys (late 30's and up). Most of them are dinkers with no 2nd serve and are very slow on their feet. I've learned not to under estimate any of them. Getting beaten by guys that could bearly walk will do that to you.

Now I've read thread after thread on this site (great tips/advice btw) regarding mental toughness and staying focused. After the first four matches I'm happy to say that I am getting better at it. I guess my question and sorry for the long babble is, how can I stay focused during doubles. Ill miss a forehand return or volley and I know that I'll have to adjust, but usually I need to wait till I get that return again. By that time I usually forget what I need to do.

any thoughts?

-a frustrated doubles player

tennis-n-sc
06-08-2005, 09:02 AM
You've already learned a valueable lesson - youth does not beat age by youth alone. Consider these guys very experienced and match rough opponents and I think you may start the match with a better fame of mind. Get yourself match tough and you can't do this in practice.

I must say that I am a bit surprised that a former young college player is playing 3.5 league tennis.

kevhen
06-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Doubles is harder to get in a groove if you haven't faced the opponent before since you are only seeing 1/4 the number of serves from each server compared to singles since your partner takes half and you are seeing two different servers. So you just have to adjust as quick as possible and not get frustrated with yourself when you make more than the usual number of errors. Olds guys often do beat young guys. I have a 56 year old play a 26 year old last night in my league and then split tiebreakers and the young guy said he wasn't playing to well but I knew the scores would be close since they both are strong 3.5/weak 4.0 level players. But still the young guy doesn't give the old guy credit for winning 13/26 games against him.