PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the most out of your strings and frames/control wise?

kiteboard
11-27-2010, 05:14 PM
How do you get the most control out of your string jobs and frames?

Slick cross, bitey elastic main? (vs team/alu: Federer, Djokovic, etc.) Many say this is the best control combo. Some like the alu/vs combo better: Murray, Roddick: pht/vs team. String slides on ball longer, and snaps back quickly. The longer the string stays on the ball, the more control, yet, higher tens., supposedly gives more control, less depth out long. So why this difference in reality vs. science? If the crosses are the tensioners, and the mains provide most of the feel/control of the job, wouldn't it make sense to allow the mains to slide way up (loose and bitey) and the crosses to be higher tens. to prevent too much elastic trampoline out long?

Lower tens full bed=more power=less control of depth more elastic errors out long

Higher tens full bed=less trampolined power=shorter shots and less time on the bed

Lower tens mains/higher tens crosses=better tens main/stiffer beds less trampoline out long.

Super low tens=more spin/more power trampoline out long and a large sweet spot for lower speed hitters.

Longer narrower sweet spot=lower tens on mains vs. crosses/higher tens. at top of hoop crosses, lower at contact pt., higher the rest of the lower bed/x.

Wider sweet spot up high=lower tens. crosses at top of hoop only.

Stiffer frames=more power/arm issues.

Flexy frames=lower power/fewer arm issues.

Stiffer string=lower power, better tens. main. /more arm issues.

Softer string=more power/fewer arm issues.

Higher tens. mains/lower tens. crosses=more power/less arm issues.

Lower tens. mains/higher crosses=better tens. loss/more arm issues.

For the most control you can get: Flexible frame, higher tens. total, softer mains/hard slick crosses, higher tens. on the crosses than the mains, lower tens. on the first few crosses down from the top of the hoop, but this will equalize quickly....

Head light or head heavy frame set up for the most control?

Both Nadal and Fed have lead at top of frames. Nadal has 9g at top, and 2.5g in the butt. Range is from 10-2 oclock on Fed, +_- 2" inches from frame to frame to bal. swing weight out the same per frame. So both add lead to the top to increase head weight, more plow through the shots...

What is your experience? How have you obtained the most control in your life out of your strings/frame?

nvottennis
11-27-2010, 06:36 PM
There are a lot more variables that go into this, and it is almost impossible to test them all. I'm assuming these are all experimental trends- you test certain extremes and characterize it based on that experience. Sadly, Setups even more unconventional to these "tested" theories play unlike what the trends predict them to do so.

Personally, I've been getting results that tend to follow these trends, but there are always a few that defy all laws. But for the most control, I found that the Prince EXO3 graphite + recoil 16 provided the most control, and only control. There was absolutely nothing else special about it since every other aspect of the combo was below average.

kiteboard
11-27-2010, 06:39 PM
I have a reel of barb wire if you want to buy it for $90, 3/4 full.

nvottennis
11-27-2010, 06:43 PM
hahahahaha, no thank you... I love the string, but it's just horrible after the first 3 hours. If they improved its tension maintenance, then sure, but atm, it's not worth restringing everyday

nvottennis
11-27-2010, 06:51 PM
plus i got a sponsorship offer from them, so $90 dollars is too much still lol

kiteboard
11-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Try it with alu as a cross. Pockets better that way.