PDA

View Full Version : What happens when poly string "goes dead"?

danno123
11-29-2010, 06:59 AM
I picked up a spare racquet that was strung at some unknown date in the past with some unknown brand of black poly. The strings don't straighten themselves out after a hit and seem loose, so I suspect they are really old.

My primary racquet is getting restrung, so I was using the spare this morning. I usually play with a cheap "syn gut" and didn't notice any big difference between my normal racquet and this one but I don't really know what I'm looking for. What is the problem with old poly strings?

(fyi - I plan on getting the spare re-strung with syn gut once my primary racquet gets back).

JoelDali
11-29-2010, 07:07 AM
I have a PT90 with Luxilon Flouro in it that is about a year old.

It plays just fine.

Don't believe the poly dies in 30 minutes fairy tale after stringing.

coloskier
11-29-2010, 07:40 AM
What happens to a poly is that it loses it flexibility, then turns into a trampoline. Your shots will begin to go long, and you won't get near as much spin. Eventually your elbow will begin to flare up. I have never played with a poly that doesn't go dead after three weeks, whether you hit with it or not.

martini1
11-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Strings like BB Alu Power definitely go dead after a while. I have a Hybrid Alu Power main Vs Gut cross and I notice the Poly is losing it ability to snap back in place over time. I'd say 3 months max. On contact the ball feel heavy and the lack of feel/touch. New poly has that plow thru feel. The gut is prolonging the life and I ended up leaving the strings on for another 3-4 month (because it is not my main stick).

Full poly job with black code. Same thing. The ball feel is disappearing over time. And I restrung it after 4 months.

maxplymac
11-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Poly is like crack...designed by smart people to get you to have to buy MORE.

Natural Gut BABY! I have never hit more spin.

acer4tennis
11-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Be careful playing with dead poly, can cause you some problems down the road. I re-string as soon as I feel "deadness" in it.

bad_call
11-29-2010, 09:09 AM
What happens to a poly is that it loses it flexibility, then turns into a trampoline. Your shots will begin to go long, and you won't get near as much spin. Eventually your elbow will begin to flare up. I have never played with a poly that doesn't go dead after three weeks, whether you hit with it or not.

haven't experienced the trampoline or shots going long. somewhat the opposite...had to hit harder to get any results. maybe depends on the poly. same thing with the 3 weeks...poly dependent and probably tension.

danno123
11-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll avoid using that racquet until it's restrung (because I'm an old guy with golfer's elbow).

li0scc0
11-29-2010, 10:16 AM
haven't experienced the trampoline or shots going long. somewhat the opposite...had to hit harder to get any results. maybe depends on the poly. same thing with the 3 weeks...poly dependent and probably tension.

Agreed....poly that goes 'dead' has no spin and no power. So you swing harder to get the ball deeper, and the stiffness is the same....and the arm and shoulder flare up.
I have had poly go dead within 2 hours of hitting, and other poly's last maybe 10.

mikeler
11-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll avoid using that racquet until it's restrung (because I'm an old guy with golfer's elbow).

I had GE bad all last year. I'm probably not touching polys for a long time if ever.

ClubHoUno
11-29-2010, 02:01 PM

Have you tried Alu Power, Alu Spin, Alu Rough or Alu Fluoro by any chance ?

ClubHoUno
11-29-2010, 02:20 PM
I had GE bad all last year. I'm probably not touching polys for a long time if ever.

I have suffered from both GE and TE in the past, probably from playing with cheap Kevlar and cheap poly in the mid 90 to late 90's.

But as soon as I started using natty gut in the mains with a poly in the crosses, I get 8-10 hours (98 SQ" 16x19) and as much as 15 hours (95 SQ" 18x20) and have no arm problems what so ever - even though I use Alu Rough and in the past Alu Power and other polys in the crosses :)

ClubHoUno
11-29-2010, 02:21 PM
I have a PT90 with Luxilon Flouro in it that is about a year old.

It plays just fine.

Don't believe the poly dies in 30 minutes fairy tale after stringing.

How many hours can you play a full Alu Fluoro/Alu Power job in your racquets before you feel they go dead ?

Bud
11-29-2010, 02:53 PM
I picked up a spare racquet that was strung at some unknown date in the past with some unknown brand of black poly. The strings don't straighten themselves out after a hit and seem loose, so I suspect they are really old.

My primary racquet is getting restrung, so I was using the spare this morning. I usually play with a cheap "syn gut" and didn't notice any big difference between my normal racquet and this one but I don't really know what I'm looking for. What is the problem with old poly strings?

(fyi - I plan on getting the spare re-strung with syn gut once my primary racquet gets back).

Your arm starts hurting. Most poly string is good for about 6-8 hours of decent hitting, max.

bad_call
11-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Have you tried Alu Power, Alu Spin, Alu Rough or Alu Fluoro by any chance ?

didn't get a sponsorship from them so traded off the Lux sample for something else ($$).

Speed Kat
12-05-2010, 12:05 PM
it will cause unneccessary wear and tear to your arm and all the components inside it... dont use please

user92626
12-06-2010, 12:25 AM
didn't get a sponsorship from them so traded off the Lux sample for something else ($$).

bad_call,

I hybrid the alu flouro with polylon ice 17 and it's great, even after 3 weeks. The minor shoulder ache which I got from kevlar/polylon prior instantly went away as soon as I started this hybrid. This hybrid really feels more slippery, softer, more power and makes louder noise than I felt with kevlar. :)

Since I go hybrid, I use only half of this expensive poly. If this passes my 8 weeks requirement, I'll likely settle down with this set-up. :)

bad_call
12-06-2010, 06:53 AM
bad_call,

I hybrid the alu flouro with polylon ice 17 and it's great, even after 3 weeks. The minor shoulder ache which I got from kevlar/polylon prior instantly went away as soon as I started this hybrid. This hybrid really feels more slippery, softer, more power and makes louder noise than I felt with kevlar. :)

Since I go hybrid, I use only half of this expensive poly. If this passes my 8 weeks requirement, I'll likely settle down with this set-up. :)

maybe apply for a Lux sponsorship? ;)

Hominator
12-06-2010, 07:02 AM
I have suffered from both GE and TE in the past, probably from playing with cheap Kevlar and cheap poly in the mid 90 to late 90's.

But as soon as I started using natty gut in the mains with a poly in the crosses, I get 8-10 hours (98 SQ" 16x19) and as much as 15 hours (95 SQ" 18x20) and have no arm problems what so ever - even though I use Alu Rough and in the past Alu Power and other polys in the crosses :)

Club - Do your poly crosses go dead sooner than your gut mains and if so, do you restring both? Also, what are the advantages of poly crosses? More spin? Thanks.