PDA

View Full Version : Measured String Diameters

2handsbothsides
11-29-2010, 10:32 AM
I have recently started to measure the diameter of my strings with a digital caliper when strung at my usual lower 50 pound tension with constant pull in 100 square inch Prince Graphite Longbody's and found some surprising results. No wonder I was having trouble comparing Prince Premier Softflex to other multi's! Here's the data in order of string type and gage, listed diameter in mm, measured diameter when strung.

Prince Premier Softflex 17, 1.25, 1.18
Prince Premier Softflex 16, 1.30, 1.25
Tecnifibre NRG2 17, 1.24, 1.23
Forten Sweet Natural 17, 1.20, 1.24
Forten Sweet Natural 16, 1.30, 1.27
Forten Sweet White 16, 1.30, 1.30

The Softflex stretches so much that it plays one gage smaller than listed. The Sweet 17 is much thicker than the 1.20 mm diameter listed. The Sweet 16 natural color is smaller diameter than the white color and plays a bit better in my opinion.

SteveI
11-29-2010, 12:57 PM
I have recently started to measure the diameter of my strings with a digital caliper when strung at my usual lower 50 pound tension with constant pull in 100 square inch Prince Graphite Longbody's and found some surprising results. No wonder I was having trouble comparing Prince Premier Softflex to other multi's! Here's the data in order of string type and gage, listed diameter in mm, measured diameter when strung.

Prince Premier Softflex 17, 1.25, 1.18
Prince Premier Softflex 16, 1.30, 1.25
Tecnifibre NRG2 17, 1.24, 1.23
Forten Sweet Natural 17, 1.20, 1.24
Forten Sweet Natural 16, 1.30, 1.27
Forten Sweet White 16, 1.30, 1.30

The Softflex stretches so much that it plays one gage smaller than listed. The Sweet 17 is much thicker than the 1.20 mm diameter listed. The Sweet 16 natural color is smaller diameter than the white color and plays a bit better in my opinion.

Interesting to be sure. You know the Forten Sweet is a solid core and not a multi and would not play like one. I am sure if you did your testing with other soft multis,, you might experience the same. Max Touch might stretch as much as Prince Softflex. I guess... what are you trying to determine? Strings that stretch a lot play soft? Thanks for your data..

mikeler
11-30-2010, 04:42 AM
Mantis Comfort stretches more than Maxim Touch. I think that is why Mantis has poor durability for a 16g string. I'll have to try the SoftFlex one of these days.

2handsbothsides
11-30-2010, 10:09 AM
... what are you trying to determine? Strings that stretch a lot play soft? Thanks for your data..

I wanted to determine why Softflex 16 played so much better for me than the other 16 gage multi's I have tried like Multifeel, Addiction, X1, Quasi Gut, Explosiv and ISO Control. I now find out it strings up as a 17 gage and really should be compared to other 17 gage multi's head to head.

As a side benefit the strung diameter measurement confirmed the difference in feel I got between Forten Sweet in white vs. natural.

SteveI
11-30-2010, 05:27 PM
I wanted to determine why Softflex 16 played so much better for me than the other 16 gage multi's I have tried like Multifeel, Addiction, X1, Quasi Gut, Explosiv and ISO Control. I now find out it strings up as a 17 gage and really should be compared to other 17 gage multi's head to head.

As a side benefit the strung diameter measurement confirmed the difference in feel I got between Forten Sweet in white vs. natural.

Makes perfect sense to me. Nice insights. It would be interesting to track how the string holds up tension wise and how long before it breaks (or you have to cut it out) vs the other 16G multis you have played. It would be great if you got a longer and better playing multi than using a 17G which might break faster and lose tension faster. BTW.. what are the RSI ratings for Price SoftFlex.