PDA

View Full Version : do stringsavers bump tension up?

Fed Kennedy
11-29-2010, 09:14 PM
If so how much?

corners
11-29-2010, 10:09 PM
There was some discussion about this awhile back. I think some people said 2 pounds, some 5 pounds.

To me, it felt like 5-10 pounds. It depends on how many you're using, of course. But I once put a pattern of about 30 Bab Elastoctross in a Gut/Prince Recoil job at 50 pounds. The 30 stringsavers made this otherwise very soft and powerful job feel hard and boardy. They also reduced the spin potential substantially.

In my opinion, stringsavers are to be used as needed when you've got a deep notch or fray. I had high hopes for using a pattern to make gut hybrid jobs last longer, but I found the tradeoff (gain durability, lose comfort/feel/spin) to not be worth it.

Fed Kennedy
11-29-2010, 10:17 PM
thanks corners
i am getting addicted to gut main poly cross but the durability sucks in 16x19...
maybe i will start in the 40s
i like full poly too but gut mains is so deluxe

mikeler
11-30-2010, 04:22 AM
My problem with using string savers as needed is this. I'm in the middle of a game messing with my strings between points. Oops, I see a deep notch. "Don't forget to put a string saver in on the next changeover". Three points later my strings break! I string for myself now so I don't use them very often anymore.

aggietex08
11-30-2010, 08:24 AM
My problem with using string savers as needed is this. I'm in the middle of a game messing with my strings between points. Oops, I see a deep notch. "Don't forget to put a string saver in on the next changeover". Three points later my strings break! I string for myself now so I don't use them very often anymore.

Haha glad someone else has this problem. I agree with Corners. It feels like a big jump. I only use them as a patch fix to when I see a string is sawing through another because it feels like a board if I put multiple in.

Fed Kennedy
11-30-2010, 12:16 PM
i feel you guys, one more thing to think about. ugh. still, i cant buy new gut every three days. i'm gonna try setting it up in the 40s, string savers from the get go and see how it feels.

corners
11-30-2010, 05:56 PM
The ultimate, super-geeky way to preserve your gut/poly job (for pretty much as long as you want):

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3169346&postcount=21

Bud
11-30-2010, 05:59 PM
There was some discussion about this awhile back. I think some people said 2 pounds, some 5 pounds.

To me, it felt like 5-10 pounds. It depends on how many you're using, of course. But I once put a pattern of about 30 Bab Elastoctross in a Gut/Prince Recoil job at 50 pounds. The 30 stringsavers made this otherwise very soft and powerful job feel hard and boardy. They also reduced the spin potential substantially.

In my opinion, stringsavers are to be used as needed when you've got a deep notch or fray. I had high hopes for using a pattern to make gut hybrid jobs last longer, but I found the tradeoff (gain durability, lose comfort/feel/spin) to not be worth it.

Same experience here. The frame vibrations also seems more harsh with them installed.

nvottennis
11-30-2010, 06:31 PM
The ultimate, super-geeky way to preserve your gut/poly job (for pretty much as long as you want):

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3169346&postcount=21

Is that aluminum foil or something made of metal?

Ronaldo
11-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Is that aluminum foil or something made of metal?

Looks like solder

Djlpenguin
11-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I have a very deep fray and its hanging on with the very edge of the string, the rest is sawed thru. Will a string saver save my strings life? It's gonna pop soon, but I want for them not to break during my lesson.

DownTheLine
11-30-2010, 07:11 PM
I use 20 and I think around 2-3 Lbs. There's no way it bumbs up 10 Lbs!! That's going from 60-70... BIG difference

DownTheLine
11-30-2010, 07:13 PM
I have a very deep fray and its hanging on with the very edge of the string, the rest is sawed thru. Will a string saver save my strings life? It's gonna pop soon, but I want for them not to break during my lesson.

No. Depends on your level, but I would guess 2 hits if that.