PDA

View Full Version : Thank you USTA for all the changes in USTA ratings bumps

Fedace
11-30-2010, 10:00 AM
I know i am going to take some criticism from this. and there has been many complaints about the recent bump ups. but i really feel in the end this is the Right thing to do. I am a 10 year veteran of USTA leagues and have been playing 4.5 for 8 years now. and you say what do you know about 3.5 and 4.0 leagues then ??

Yes i know alot more than you think. I have 2 captains in 4.0 league that plays up in my team and have a lady friend that is a captain in 3.5 team. We all agree that this recent changes are for the good of the league. This really evens out the league in all divisions. There has been too much cheating going in 4.0 and 4.5 levels. Ringers in the playoffs are accepted practice. and those two captains that play matches at 4.5 and sub for me time to time are still 4.0's.

Thank you and i salute you USTA for All your great work in last 2 years.:):)

Gene1994
11-30-2010, 10:04 AM
What country are you from

Fedace
11-30-2010, 10:07 AM

you will have to do better than that. Any changes,,,especially major changes like this one will be met with critics and complaints. because people only see what is on the surface and doesn't see the longterm benefits. Trust me on this, over next 5 years or so, this will benefit the league tremendously.

Gene1994
11-30-2010, 10:13 AM
you will have to do better than that. Any changes,,,especially major changes like this one will be met with critics and complaints. because people only see what is on the surface and doesn't see the longterm benefits. Trust me on this, over next 5 years or so, this will benefit the league tremendously.

No, I mean like are you American? Or not?

Fedace
11-30-2010, 10:16 AM
No, I mean like are you American? Or not?

I think right below my name, it saids sandiego, California. that is in USA. and yes, i am american.

Gene1994
11-30-2010, 10:18 AM
I think right below my name, it saids sandiego, California. that is in USA. and yes, i am american.

Ok, I was just wondering :D Just thought you were foreign because of your poor grammar. :D

Fedace
11-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Ok, I was just wondering :D Just thought you were foreign because of your poor grammer. :D

Real Funny. i never think about grammer or spelling in talk forums. I never saw the importance of that really. If i write a newsarticle for my medical group in a new finding or new articles, i make sure the article is devoid of any grammer or spelling errors.
and YES, i was NOT born in USA. and i came here fairly late in childhood but i have always been an excellent student, especially in sciences.:)

Gene1994
11-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Real Funny. i never think about grammer or spelling in talk forums. I never saw the importance of that really. If i write a newsarticle for my medical group in a new finding or new articles, i make sure the article is devoid of any grammer or spelling errors.
and YES, i was NOT born in USA. and i came here fairly late in childhood but i have always been an excellent student, especially in sciences.:)

Gotcha man :D

bad_call
11-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Ok, I was just wondering :D Just thought you were foreign because of your poor grammer. :D

wassup dude!! (btw u misspelled grammar) are those #$%# still flaming in your serve thread? was gonna post in that one but...

JoelDali
11-30-2010, 10:26 AM
I never saw the importance of that really.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2031/2397690371_e34bb66835.jpg?v=0

RogerRacket111
11-30-2010, 10:30 AM

Do you know what the US in the USTA stands for ?

JoelDali
11-30-2010, 10:36 AM

United Soderling <--Robin's fan club-)

JavierLW
11-30-2010, 10:36 AM

That's a riot. Since when is being an American an indication of correct grammar? :-) (and it's grammar, not grammer....)

Gene1994
11-30-2010, 10:37 AM

No. Please enlighten me RogerRacket111 :p Ha.

wassup dude!! (btw u misspelled grammar) are those #$%# still flaming in your serve thread? was gonna post in that one but...

Oops :oops: :D

Yeah I think so, I'll go check what's going on over there right now :D

Legend of Borg
11-30-2010, 10:40 AM

Who needs grammar when you're a doctor?

Dr. Fedace to be precise.

TT legend.

RogerRacket111
11-30-2010, 10:41 AM
No. Please enlighten me RogerRacket111 :p Ha.

It stands for. U Suck :)

origmarm
11-30-2010, 10:41 AM

The irony...

jdubbs
11-30-2010, 10:44 AM
I would rather play up, as at my level (4.0) guys still dink and push too much.

I enjoy hitting harder as most of the 4.5's do. But I can't beat enough 4.0's to make a legit move. So, still working on it. But will play 4.5 once I feel I have a realistic chance of winning a couple of matches at the tournament level.

Gene1994
11-30-2010, 10:50 AM
That's a riot. Since when is being an American an indication of correct grammar? :-) (and it's grammar, not grammer....)

It stands for. U Suck :)

The irony...

It's ok. I'm Russian. I don't need to know these things :p

kelawai
11-30-2010, 11:03 AM

I am a solid 4.0 but don't have good grammerer when posting or during conversation. People like you scared people like me from discussing any topic about tennis over here because of my not proper English.

highgeer
11-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Over all I think the moves are good, but they are not consistent over the spectrum. I do not know any 4.5s that were moved up, so there are now a bunch of low 4.5s playing against true 5.0+ players (under the umbrella of 4.5). The computer rating is not good in and of itself. I know that some 4.5 teams purposely loose matches so they can go to state without being DQ'd. One of these teams has 5-6 players that are easy 5.0+ and 6 high 4.5s. I know the ratings get a little fuzzy at 4.5 or higher, but some of these guys can easily compete with D1 college kid.

MIKE

highgeer
11-30-2010, 11:55 AM
I forgot to mention that the 4.0 leagues still contain some good 4.5 players, so something is still not right.

Mike

bad_call
11-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Yeah I think so, I'll go check what's going on over there right now :D

here come da thread police!!! :p:

polski
11-30-2010, 01:44 PM
I forgot to mention that the 4.0 leagues still contain some good 4.5 players, so something is still not right.

Mike

There always will be some that get missed. The USTA can't adopt a system that will be perfect nationwide.

Case in point, I just got moved to 4.5 from 4.0 & I do not disagree. I played a former high school teammate of mine that is a 4.5 in another state over Thanksgiving. He worked me 0 & 0 like it was no problem. We are clearly at different levels, but we compete at the same one.

The NTRP is about as close as we can get to having a fair system. It is going to get people close, but not always exact.

highgeer
11-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Polski,
If this guy double bagel'd you then he is at least 0.5 above you. So, if you are a low 4.5 then he is a 5.0, or if you are a 4.0 then he is a 4.5 or 5.0. You are either rated too high or he is rated too low. It would be great if a 4.5 was a 4.5 and 4.0 was a 4.0, etc.

Mike

Gene1994
11-30-2010, 05:18 PM
here come da thread police!!! :p:

Dang, I think it got deleted :(

KSJ1979
11-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Back to the original post, I know a bunch of 5.0's who got bumped from 4.5 to 5.0...

MNPlayer
11-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Polski,
If this guy double bagel'd you then he is at least 0.5 above you. So, if you are a low 4.5 then he is a 5.0, or if you are a 4.0 then he is a 4.5 or 5.0. You are either rated too high or he is rated too low. It would be great if a 4.5 was a 4.5 and 4.0 was a 4.0, etc.

Mike

The usta disagrees, 6-0, 6-0 scores can and do happen within a level. I've bageled people and vice versa within 4.0! These are somewhat "competitive" matches though (as far as that goes with a score line like that), meaning I really have to work for it.

Fedace
11-30-2010, 06:22 PM
YES votes are leading by a wide margin. I guess i was wrong about all the complaints with recent ratings bumps. Most people are fairly happy, that is GREAT.

andfor
11-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Who are the two people who voted no for Feddies poll? I bet it was Feddie and one of his aliases.

ManuGinobili
12-01-2010, 01:59 AM
It's kinda scaring me that Fedace is approaching "Talk Tennis Guru" status

JoelDali
12-01-2010, 06:53 AM
It's kinda scaring me that Fedace is approaching "Talk Tennis Guru" status

He is a tennis legend of the highest order.

I caught up with the Dr. in La Jolla last week and snuck a few shots of him working on this strokes. All of you would be proud to call him a friend.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/files/Mandeep-moves-up--Tanya-w-141110.jpg

Fuzzy
12-01-2010, 07:07 AM
I appreciate the fact that the USTA is trying to get the ratings correct and get players playing in the right league........but........I'm disappointed by the fact that the USTA has eliminated the human factor from the equation.

The computer is NOT always right, the computer doesn't know about injuries, gaming, etc.

Example: we have a player that started playing about 2 years ago...started at 3.0, super fit guy, really fast, not really a typical "pusher" but a backboard none the less. He just got bumped to 4.0. Sorry, but he's not a 4.0 because he's more fit than everyone else on the court at 3.0 and 3.5 and can just plain out play them and get every ball back. He won't be able to play at 4.0, if anyone even takes him and he's really sad about the whole ordeal.

JavierLW
12-01-2010, 08:17 AM
but........I'm disappointed by the fact that the USTA has eliminated the human factor from the equation.

The computer is NOT always right, the computer doesn't know about injuries, gaming, etc.

Example: we have a player that started playing about 2 years ago...started at 3.0, super fit guy, really fast, not really a typical "pusher" but a backboard none the less. He just got bumped to 4.0. Sorry, but he's not a 4.0 because he's more fit than everyone else on the court at 3.0 and 3.5 and can just plain out play them and get every ball back. He won't be able to play at 4.0, if anyone even takes him and he's really sad about the whole ordeal.

The problem was that people cheated when they allowed humans to decide things.

Even the coordinators, some National USTA official quoted a stat to me once that 80% of players that had won a medical appeal went on to some form of post season and were moved back up again.

And that's just medical appeals which you'd think would be a legitimate reason for an appeal that someone with good sense and judgment would be able to handle whether to give out or not.

If your friend was winning solidly though at 3.5 then he should play 4.0. At singles he will probably get killed, but if worked on his doubles game a lot of those players look the same.

But I know what you mean because I had a guy on my team that IS A PUSHER and doesn't even have a normal looking serve, and he got moved up to 4.0. It's hard to play doubles with that type of game, and now he's at a level where he has no chance at winning at singles so nobody wants him on their team.

But maybe it's good for him, at 3.5 he never worked on his game and just assumed that whatever he does is good enough to win. (and he did win most of the time) Now he may realize that he needs to fix his game otherwise he wont even find a team....

kylebarendrick
12-01-2010, 09:18 AM

I have a friend that went through a similar process. Very athletic, very fast, horrible strokes and an underhand serve. He self rated at 3.0 and he did well in combo. I let him play on my 3.5 team and told him he'd get playing time if he was successful (I figured he would lose all his matches against the good players). He only lost one match and was bumped to 4.0. I figured he'd have no chance but was once again proved wrong - he dominated at 4.0 also and just got bumped to 4.5.

I guarantee that everyone that looks at this guy will be convinced they will beat him. He'll probably find a way to win. Your player needs to do the same thing.

Fedace
12-01-2010, 11:32 AM
He is a tennis legend of the highest order.

I caught up with the Dr. in La Jolla last week and snuck a few shots of him working on this strokes. All of you would be proud to call him a friend.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/files/Mandeep-moves-up--Tanya-w-141110.jpg

That's not me Joel. i was actually hitting on 2 courts down with hot looking blonde.

JoelDali
12-01-2010, 11:42 AM
I received an email from someone purporting to be you and I met him last Saturday.

You mean to say I was duped?

Well this is both an outrage and a disgrace.

Sherlock
12-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I think it was a good move, though many are unhappy about it. The examples of "pushers" with bad strokes who beat everyone getting bumped to 4.0 are exactly correct moves. These guys will lose for a while, but it is part of the growing pains of improving and playing better competition.

Some guys were intentionally sandbagging the system, and others were just scared to play up because they would lose a lot. It was good to move the sandbaggers, and the people who were scared to play at the next level needed a bit of a shove. These people need to understand it is okay to get crushed, it should motivate you to get better so you longer get crushed. I remember when I first moved from 3.0 to 3.5 and was getting crushed a lot. I lost to one guy 6-0 6-1, but everytime I played him I kept getting closer and closer. When I was getting more to the top end of 3.5 and winning a good number of those matches, I wanted to play better players and lose those matches to continue motivating myself to get better.

In my opinion, most (though certainly not all) of the bumped players should have been bumped.

polski
12-04-2010, 08:21 AM
I think it was a good move, though many are unhappy about it. The examples of "pushers" with bad strokes who beat everyone getting bumped to 4.0 are exactly correct moves. These guys will lose for a while, but it is part of the growing pains of improving and playing better competition.

Some guys were intentionally sandbagging the system, and others were just scared to play up because they would lose a lot. It was good to move the sandbaggers, and the people who were scared to play at the next level needed a bit of a shove. These people need to understand it is okay to get crushed, it should motivate you to get better so you longer get crushed. I remember when I first moved from 3.0 to 3.5 and was getting crushed a lot. I lost to one guy 6-0 6-1, but everytime I played him I kept getting closer and closer. When I was getting more to the top end of 3.5 and winning a good number of those matches, I wanted to play better players and lose those matches to continue motivating myself to get better.

In my opinion, most (though certainly not all) of the bumped players should have been bumped.

Well summarized! The fear of defeat often outweighs the desire to improve in adult league tennis. Especially in the men's game, people think that because they lose more matches than they are used to that they are a lesser player... and that is totally untrue.