PDA

View Full Version : open or closed stance?

eLterrible
06-08-2005, 02:00 PM
I use a closed stance on my 2h backhand, and normally try to use a closed stance on my forehand. What I've noticed is that when i use a open stance on my forehand side, it's a LOT more consistant but a little less powerful because the knee bend is a little less natural/severe. Should i use a open stance and work on improving the power, or work on the consistancy on a closed stance forehand?

TwistServe
06-08-2005, 02:03 PM
The open stance with westen / semi western forehands will give you massive power because your motion to swing is less limited. Usually the open stance is good for crosscourt rallys and close stance good for taking the ball early or going DTL. I would work on consistency with the open stance.

Return_Ace
06-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Well personally I think you should work on both, an open stance FH is great for baseline rallies but when you want to attack the net it doesn't help that much since your weight is stationary. This is what the closed stance is good for, so when you get that short ball use a closed stance and charge the net!!

kreative
06-08-2005, 02:05 PM
how about a blend of both? semi-open stance? close stance advantage is natural weight transfer and moving forward, but you need time to setup. open stance helps you recover to the center faster, and setup faster. it really depends on your game and what you're comfortable with.

eLterrible
06-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks for quick responses, I think I will work on a closed open stance :p the open seems mroe appealing, it's quicker to set up and recover for.

donnyz89
06-08-2005, 02:21 PM
I use open stance for almost everything...

For me... open stance for baseline rallies, i use semi western grip and openstance is easy to generate top spin. However, on a short ball, i step in with my left foot and turn side ways a little to hit an approach shot. The key with openstance is the rotation. It could really hurt your arm if u dont do it correctly imo. With todays fast paced game, its hard to play with closed stance sometimes. People ccan learn openstance and not closed stance, but not many players can go by without learning the open stance.

erik-the-red
06-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Both have their applications, but let it be known that I am a BIG, BIG, BIG fan of the "square" stance. I define that as having one foot in front of the other as opposed to side by side, or open.

If you're playing against somebody who hits with pace, then you should use the open stance. It lets you react more quickly.

If you're playing against somebody who has no pace (ie. a dinker, pusher, "human wall"), then you MUST square up. Going open on these guys will result in wars of attrition that you don't want.

A short ball must be put away with a square stance.

If you're pushed far beyond the baseline, you must square up to gain extra power.

And, really, that's the point of the square stance - more depth, penetration, and pace.

Now, if you want to load up moonballs, then an open stance is probably the way to go.

Mahboob Khan
06-08-2005, 05:23 PM
To the original poster: What do you mean by close stance? Do you mean square stance? What is square stance for backhand? When both feet - right and left - are in one line, and you are edgeway to the net.

The question of stance should be decided by the situation, it should not be imposed.

Generally, open or semi open stances are great with semi-western or western grips. But it can also be used with Eastern grips.

It is also possible to use square stance with semi-western grips (for down the line shots).

The open stance works very well with 2-handed BH. But you can also use square stance for easier balls.

I still believe, square stance is must for single-handed backhands, for easier balls, and for going down the lines.

Yes, to go cross court, semi open or open stance is more efficient.

With open stance, power comes from upper body turn (loading and unloading). You coil your upper body against your legs which are open. I do believe, that upper body turn is more natural with feet open to the net.

06-09-2005, 04:40 AM
You mentioned you have less power from open stance. You are probably losing power by dropping your right (or hitting) shoulder. It is a very common open stance problem. Player tend to drop the shoulder to hit topspin, losing power.

Just remember to keep your shoulder leveled ("T") , and swing through horizontally, without dropping your shoulder. The power will come back.

dustyle
06-11-2005, 08:52 PM
i was told to use close stances for my 2bh and open on my fh

Rickson
06-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Open stance on my forehand except when I hit inside out, where I use a closed stance. Closed stance on my backhand because I use a one handed backhand and the only exception to the backhand in an open stance is if I get jammed up suddenly with the ball coming to the middle of my body.