PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss something about Volkl Cyclone?

pvaudio
11-30-2010, 06:38 PM
There are six threads on the first page alone about this string. It's been out for ages and is just a decent textured poly. Are people just finding out about it, or did they revamp it?

SteveI
12-01-2010, 01:37 AM
There are six threads on the first page alone about this string. It's been out for ages and is just a decent textured poly. Are people just finding out about it, or did they revamp it?

TW (USA) has had in the past, only limited offerings of Volkl strings. I can't say for sure.. but maybe TW has only been offering this string for a short while. You are saying it is not a new string from Volkl which I am sure is true.. since it is a 1st gen poly. The fact that it is BLACK, textured and offers a nice price performace could be the reason for the recent hype and talk. How long has it been on the market? I began hearing about it.. appox 6 months ago here.

Carolina Racquet
12-01-2010, 04:26 AM
I could be wrong, but I think it's only been out in the last two years or so.

I'm not sure if they marketed a different type of string using the current name.

Perhaps the surge in popularity can be attributed to the intro of Babolat RPM and Rafa? Not sure, but IMO Cyclone is by far the best twisted/textured poly available for under $10 a set.

SteveI
12-01-2010, 08:50 AM

I'm not sure if they marketed a different type of string using the current name.

Perhaps the surge in popularity can be attributed to the intro of Babolat RPM and Rafa? Not sure, but IMO Cyclone is by far the best twisted/textured poly available for under $10 a set.

I can only check back to the end of 2009... TW only offered Power Fiber II. That leaves 2010... I think I began seeing it about 6 months ago. Volkl might have been selling this string under another name in Europe... or it was not offered to the US market until..a few months ago.... or TW just decided it was great string for a great price??

Anyway to the OP... TW was not selling this string in Nov of 2009.

Steve

pvaudio
12-01-2010, 08:50 AM
TW (USA) has had in the past, only limited offerings of Volkl strings. I can't say for sure.. but maybe TW has only been offering this string for a short while. You are saying it is not a new string from Volkl which I am sure is true.. since it is a 1st gen poly. The fact that it is BLACK, textured and offers a nice price performace could be the reason for the recent hype and talk. How long has it been on the market? I began hearing about it.. appox 6 months ago here.It's been out since 2009 over here, and IIRC released at the end of 2008 overseas. It's not new at all, I'm just wondering why people are just now raving about it. Perhaps because like all Volkl products, it flew under the radar.

pvaudio
12-01-2010, 08:52 AM

I do think it's the RPM craze. I only say that because MSV Hex has been out for a long time now, but it's had a huge resurgence as people look for cheap RPM alternatives.

SteveI
12-02-2010, 02:37 AM
I do think it's the RPM craze. I only say that because MSV Hex has been out for a long time now, but it's had a huge resurgence as people look for cheap RPM alternatives.

Excellent insights.. I am sure all of what you have stated is true in your last two posts. Folks on TT also love black strings...:-)

lappebiff
12-04-2010, 03:04 AM
I've been using Fischer Pro One (the red, black and silver) for almost a decade, and Cyklone strung in the low 50's is by far the best poly I've tried in these rackets.