PDA

View Full Version : twisted or pentagonal etc. strings

exo3
11-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Do they make hitting flat any more harder?
I enjoy having a flat stroke and am wondering if any strings do this such as

Kirschbaum spiky shark
Babolat RPM blast
Volkl cyclone and so on

nvottennis
11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
nope, just look at the physics of hitting it flat. For the most, it should actually make hitting flat a bit easier since it'll have a bit of topspin to keep the ball in.

djNEiGht
12-02-2010, 09:11 AM
... it should actually make hitting flat a bit easier since it'll have a bit of topspin to keep the ball in.

+1
I mostly had a flat swing and have been trying to put more spin. I didn't notice any loss of control when playing w textured strings. What I need to work on is keeping the depth in my shot now that there is more topspin on the ball

airman88
12-02-2010, 10:35 AM
I don't really see an advantage if you hit flat. You will lose your penetration of the court, and without a ripping spinny shot, the your ball won't jump up anyway so what's the advantage.

stevenwags987
12-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't really see an advantage if you hit flat. You will lose your penetration of the court, and without a ripping spinny shot, the your ball won't jump up anyway so what's the advantage.

Faster, Harder, Lower shots.

Most modern players feel much more comfortable returning topspin groundstrokes rather then flat ones.

airman88
12-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Faster, Harder, Lower shots.

Most modern players feel much more comfortable returning topspin groundstrokes rather then flat ones.

The ball would be faster, harder, and lower with a flat shot. So how are these an advantage for a flat player using pentagonal strings, twisted strings.

I also don't agree that most players are more comfortable returning spinny strokes. Truly effective spin strokes will jump up high on you and that is definitely the weak area for most players. You have to take it early.

Flat balls are right in the sweet spot.

exo3
12-20-2010, 06:45 PM
The ball would be faster, harder, and lower with a flat shot. So how are these an advantage for a flat player using pentagonal strings, twisted strings.

I also don't agree that most players are more comfortable returning spinny strokes. Truly effective spin strokes will jump up high on you and that is definitely the weak area for most players. You have to take it early.

Flat balls are right in the sweet spot.

However if you hit a true flat shot it should go deeper and lower than what they are accustomed to