PDA

View Full Version : Partial rant, partial inquiry (mostly for self-stringers)

pvaudio
12-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I was thinking about this a few days ago. I love the process of playtesting different strings to see how they feel. It's soothing to string the racquet and you can review strings for other people and give your opinion on them. However, at the same time, I always end up finding something that absolutely suits my playing style (currently it's WC Scorpion / Performaxx WhisperTouch NatGut), so I just want to go out and play tennis and stop fiddling with equipment. Anyone else have that "dilemma"? The fun of playing with your equipment vs. the fun of playing the sport itself?

kiteboard
12-01-2010, 10:44 AM
It's all about defending your contact point, against great players or pushers alike. Always more fun to play, than to string/fiddle/change/adapt equipment, but I would like to start a web site that allows all to buy pro stock, in many sports, to feed that side as well.

parasailing
12-01-2010, 11:00 AM
The gadget side of me loves trying out all the different strings, equipment, and accessories but in the end, it's hitting with players that make tennis fun for me.

bad_call
12-01-2010, 11:04 AM
I was thinking about this a few days ago. I love the process of playtesting different strings to see how they feel. It's soothing to string the racquet and you can review strings for other people and give your opinion on them. However, at the same time, I always end up finding something that absolutely suits my playing style (currently it's WC Scorpion / Performaxx WhisperTouch NatGut), so I just want to go out and play tennis and stop fiddling with equipment. Anyone else have that "dilemma"? The fun of playing with your equipment vs. the fun of playing the sport itself?

reads like we have very similar tastes in strings. still playtest but not so much now. maybe more testing down the road but recently enjoying the WC Scorpion and a few others. however my achey back/shoulder area has sidelined me for now. getting old is not for wussies.

mikeler
12-01-2010, 11:52 AM
I love testing strings but only to find something better than what I'm currently using. If I don't like a string it means I play like crap. When I play like crap, I turn into the Tazmanian Devil on the court and the tennis becomes way less fun. I can handle losing if I'm playing well.

pvaudio
12-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I dunno about that for me. I guess it's the engineer in me coming out on the tennis court. I love the technical side to the sport (racquets not included, graphite is graphite, it just depends how you like yours arranged), so fooling around with strings and tensions is so much fun, but then I realize that the whole point of what I'm doing is to play better tennis, so I instead start focusing on how the racquet's playing instead of myself. I have had maybe like 6 or 7 "go-to" string set ups. That's far too many. I do think, however, that unless I find something amazing after all of my playtesting in my thread that I will settle on Scorpion and the Performaxx gut. That's just a diabolical combination.

bad_call
12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
^^ curious what tension you string the Scorpion/Performaxx and in what racquet. also how long does the setup last for you?

btw - also a techie of sorts.

pvaudio
12-01-2010, 07:43 PM
56.5/58.5 in a Dunlop Aerogel 100. Setup hasn't broken yet, but I've only played on it twice and the gut is fraying already. :)

ManuGinobili
12-01-2010, 07:54 PM
It's like how people say they love to travel and experience new places all the time. But once you get traveling, there will be a point where you know enough is enough and you just want to return home... unless you're Ross K :)

bad_call
12-01-2010, 08:50 PM
56.5/58.5 in a Dunlop Aerogel 100. Setup hasn't broken yet, but I've only played on it twice and the gut is fraying already. :)

if only gut were cheaper. have a good number of hours (can't remember) on the Scorpion/OGSM crosses. it looks half cooked with notches about 1/2 thru on the poly and the syn gut has a good bit of fraying. still plays well so can't complain. strung at 47/50 in the MG PP.

pvaudio
12-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Performaxx is only 23 bucks for a set, or you can get the "Tonic" version for 18 bucks a set. At that price, it's a no brainer over even SNGPS. These "seconds" as they call them still look flawless. It's just the coating that is iffy in some places.

gino
12-01-2010, 11:20 PM
It's all about defending your contact point, against great players or pushers alike. Always more fun to play, than to string/fiddle/change/adapt equipment, but I would like to start a web site that allows all to buy pro stock, in many sports, to feed that side as well.

Interesting... Do you actually plan on starting it soon?

SoCal10s
12-01-2010, 11:35 PM

You better hope you don't ever get into golf .. you'll be broke in no time... trying the latest and greatest golf equipment is a lot more fun than tennis strings ..

Maui19
12-02-2010, 05:02 AM
You better hope you don't ever get into golf .. you'll be broke in no time... trying the latest and greatest golf equipment is a lot more fun than tennis strings ..

I was thinking the same thing. There are a lot of golfers who like to try new gear all the time. For them, part of the enjoyment of the game is playing the latest irons, woods, balls, shafts, etc. That involves big dough, even if you sell all your old gear.

Tennis is much simpler. :)

mikeler
12-02-2010, 05:06 AM
I don't know why but I'm not really a racket junkie, just a string junkie. So I'm only 50% distorted.

goran_ace
12-02-2010, 07:10 AM
I agree that tennis players get off easy compared to golf. There are a lot of people out there who buy the newest drivers every year; I know a guy who would get a new set of irons every year on top of that.

There is a difference in golf though: there are measurable benefits to technology and it affects your final result because every shot matters. You can see the extra yardage. You notice how you hit more fairways. You can shape your shot. These things translate directly into shaving strokes off your score. In golf, tennis, or any sport, you can't buy your game off the shelf, but in golf it is possible to buy equpiment that might take 2-3 strokes off your average score and that can be a big deal. If you've never broken 90 but have been really close to doing it, you're not going to be able to shoot in the low 80's due to equipment changes but maybe you will finally get that elusive 89 you've been trying for all last summer.

bad_call
12-02-2010, 07:10 AM
Performaxx is only 23 bucks for a set, or you can get the "Tonic" version for 18 bucks a set. At that price, it's a no brainer over even SNGPS. These "seconds" as they call them still look flawless. It's just the coating that is iffy in some places.

price is very good for what it is. the durability is marginal...but if comfort is priority 1 then it's a no-brainer.

PimpMyGame
12-02-2010, 07:42 AM
I spent a fair bit of cash and a lot of time stringing my rackets with many different strings and tensions. Kinda got bored with it, loved natural gut in the mains as a hybrid and love full syn gut nearly as much. Switching to nat gut / Alu Power Rough as I realise I'm missing that setup.

pvaudio
12-02-2010, 08:53 AM
You better hope you don't ever get into golf .. you'll be broke in no time... trying the latest and greatest golf equipment is a lot more fun than tennis strings ..I played golf in high school, and interestingly, getting my technique just right was far more important than any equipment. In fact, I would always try to beat others with inferior and literally wal-mart equipment when they had gone and spent shitloads on theirs. I don't golf anymore though, nor do I plan on starting again. It's just not dynamic enough for me. I've got my two: tennis and boxing. :)

pvaudio
12-02-2010, 08:55 AM
I dunno about that for me. I guess it's the engineer in me coming out on the tennis court. I love the technical side to the sport (racquets not included, graphite is graphite, it just depends how you like yours arranged)

I don't know why but I'm not really a racket junkie, just a string junkie. So I'm only 50% distorted.

A man after my own heart. Hopefully not literally, because my girlfriend would probably be a bit upset :D

pvaudio
12-02-2010, 09:03 AM
I agree that tennis players get off easy compared to golf. There are a lot of people out there who buy the newest drivers every year; I know a guy who would get a new set of irons every year on top of that.

There is a difference in golf though: there are measurable benefits to technology and it affects your final result because every shot matters. You can see the extra yardage. You notice how you hit more fairways. You can shape your shot. These things translate directly into shaving strokes off your score. In golf, tennis, or any sport, you can't buy your game off the shelf, but in golf it is possible to buy equpiment that might take 2-3 strokes off your average score and that can be a big deal. If you've never broken 90 but have been really close to doing it, you're not going to be able to shoot in the low 80's due to equipment changes but maybe you will finally get that elusive 89 you've been trying for all last summer.I think that when put in a relative sense, the situations are 100% identical. No amateur golfer will change his handicap by lightyears by switching to the newest Calloway driver to get 5 more yards. You may "improve" slightly, but honestly, it mostly still does come down to your head and talent level. A superior golfer with your "inferior" equipment would still beat you time and again simply because he's better at the sport. Same goes for tennis. String setups to me are a way to find something that is tailored to me, and not necessarily the best out there.

Perfect example: few years ago when demoing racquets before I got my AG100s, I demoed the 2008-9 K90. I hated it. I hated how I had to change my stroke just to get a decent ball, hated how I couldn't serve well since I'm used to a particular balance and most of all hated the stiffness of it compared to my long Dunlop history going back to 5th grade. A teaching pro from my club who recently moved to a club in Georgia came back to visit that day, and decided to play in with our group. He didn't have a stick, so he picked up the k90. He normally played with the kblade 98: aka, something not even remotely similar. He was still able to school each and every one of us like he was using the racquet and string setup that he spent forever finding then fine tuning just because he was such a better player. Really put it all into perspective for me that day. :lol:

mikeler
12-02-2010, 09:45 AM
A man after my own heart. Hopefully not literally, because my girlfriend would probably be a bit upset :D

I'm also an engineer. :)

Speed Kat
12-02-2010, 09:56 AM
messing around with different strings and setups is fun. Keep doing it as long as its fun! If you find the one or get fed up, then stick to one (that ain't happenin anytime soon!)

kiteboard
12-02-2010, 12:28 PM
If you run into a semi pro or world class player, they can beat you with the worst string job, and the worst racquet, you have ever seen. They can beat you with a 100 yr. old wooden stick with piano wire as string! Why is that? They go to a no miss steady game, and take no chances, which they learned as juniors, when playing badly, as the surest way to win, back to a push style with no risk.

pvaudio
12-02-2010, 02:09 PM
They can beat you with a frying pan :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwfbYdaYEoc

Ambivalent
12-02-2010, 02:10 PM

Ever since I got a stringer, I've been fiddling around and constantly trying new string. I think the money it's saved me has been offset by the amount i've spent buying reels.

Dags
12-02-2010, 02:19 PM
I haven't played with the same setup on consecutive string jobs since I got a stringer a couple of years ago. It's definitely had some positive influence on my game - I've discovered strings and tensions that suit my game, and never play with dead strings any more. But right now I'm ready for some consistency: I've started feeling that I've experimented enough. For now...

pvaudio
12-02-2010, 04:27 PM
I haven't played with the same setup on consecutive string jobs since I got a stringer a couple of years ago. It's definitely had some positive influence on my game - I've discovered strings and tensions that suit my game, and never play with dead strings any more. But right now I'm ready for some consistency: I've started feeling that I've experimented enough. For now...Stringer is a blessing and a curse. I have so many strings and restring so much that it's ridiculous. To me it's fun and therapeutic to string racquets, but it is expensive to buy a new set of string just to see how it plays when if you didn't have a stringer, you'd only be buying string when your current setup is about to eat it.

kiteboard
12-02-2010, 06:45 PM
They can beat you with a frying pan :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwfbYdaYEoc

Ha, HA. mAybe he hurt himself with a 2lb pan, instead of the 369g pan! That's some of the worst frying pan tennis I've ever seen.

mikeler
12-03-2010, 06:21 AM
Stringer is a blessing and a curse. I have so many strings and restring so much that it's ridiculous. To me it's fun and therapeutic to string racquets, but it is expensive to buy a new set of string just to see how it plays when if you didn't have a stringer, you'd only be buying string when your current setup is about to eat it.

Amen brother!

pvaudio
12-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Ha, HA. mAybe he hurt himself with a 2lb pan, instead of the 369g pan! That's some of the worst frying pan tennis I've ever seen.:lol: I take it that's what's on Tennis Channel during the Late Night programming hours? Frying pan tennis, eh? :D

pvaudio
12-05-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm also an engineer. :)
Ahh, what sort?

kiteboard
12-05-2010, 05:23 PM
:lol: I take it that's what's on Tennis Channel during the Late Night programming hours? Frying pan tennis, eh? :D

I'm old enough to be your father's older brother, but I bet I'd beat you in a frying pan tennis match, pv!

Racer41c
12-06-2010, 07:47 AM
I dunno about that for me. I guess it's the engineer in me coming out on the tennis court. I love the technical side to the sport (racquets not included, graphite is graphite, it just depends how you like yours arranged), so fooling around with strings and tensions is so much fun, but then I realize that the whole point of what I'm doing is to play better tennis, so I instead start focusing on how the racquet's playing instead of myself. I have had maybe like 6 or 7 "go-to" string set ups. That's far too many. I do think, however, that unless I find something amazing after all of my playtesting in my thread that I will settle on Scorpion and the Performaxx gut. That's just a diabolical combination.

Hey PV, Hereís an analogy: When we used to race carts we spent a lot of time working on the setup. If your not familiar with carts, the setup is worth more than the driver and motor put together. And to finish in the front requires your setup to be perfect for the track and the driverís style (aggressive, smooth, soft hands, quick hands, etc).

When itís time to race you need to have a clear head and focus on the task at hand. You want to have 100% confidence in the cartís setup (which is why proís donít change string setup very often?). When your practicing, you can focus on the setup and refining how the car is responding.

mikeler
12-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Ahh, what sort?

Civil.....

pvaudio
12-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Ahh, you can have your trusses and bridges. I'll still with my MOSFETs and varactors :D

Steve Huff
12-10-2010, 05:09 PM
I used to try every string I carried. But, with the advent of poly and elbow problems, that's no longer possible. I rely on other poly users for feedback on those now. I used to playtest strings for Prince, and it was fun. They really seemed to take comments seriously when they marketed a string. Now, with most of the poly's coming out of Europe, it seems the playtesting has already been done in Europe before it hits the market here. Not that it's all that bad. I wouldn't have time to playtest all the new strings that come out now. So, play with what you want, save the rest of someone you string for that's looking to try new strings. Have them give you feedback, and maybe give them a discount for doing so. You can both be happy then.

manongpatrick
12-17-2010, 12:02 AM
I feel that the experimenting portion of gears and gadgets in tennis is supposed to benefit my style of play. Experimenting and trying out new gear is supposed to benefit me to get better. We must not forget that tennis is not about the gear sometimes, its about our improvement and excitement of the game.

Lambsscroll
12-17-2010, 06:00 AM
The fun of playing with your equipment vs. the fun of playing the sport itself?

I'm not sure there is a one vs. the other. You have been enjoying both. Your experimental trip to finding the right string setup has come to an end. You have settled on a string setup that suits you, thats all.

jmverdugo
12-17-2010, 07:10 AM
I think the problem you have here is Availability, you have tooooo many choices. I have strung my own racquets since 2006, usually the same set up untill I finish the reel, then I either buy the same string or look for another one. Now I am spending a rather long time in the US and I am trying different stuff but just because I got some free string with the stringing machine I bought. In the end I think I will be going back to TCF but I am going to use Prince's Original Syth Gut in the crosses instead of the Duraflex version.

rudester
12-17-2010, 07:38 AM
I finally am over my racquet addiction, having found for sure my "holy grail", Getting over the string experiment addiction is going to take longer, as every time i think i find the perfect string. Presto, i run across another that is better, and then there is always the tension and hybrid variables as well. Good thing i enjoy what i am doing.

mikeler
12-17-2010, 07:50 AM
To me, strings are like watching TV. I'm always flipping through the channels because I'm convinced there is something on one of the other 1000 channels that could be better than what I'm watching at the moment. Same goes for strings. I'm always thinking there is something that can produce more spin, last longer and be more comfortable on my arm.

pvaudio
12-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Hey PV, Hereís an analogy: When we used to race carts we spent a lot of time working on the setup. If your not familiar with carts, the setup is worth more than the driver and motor put together. And to finish in the front requires your setup to be perfect for the track and the driverís style (aggressive, smooth, soft hands, quick hands, etc).

When itís time to race you need to have a clear head and focus on the task at hand. You want to have 100% confidence in the cartís setup (which is why proís donít change string setup very often?). When your practicing, you can focus on the setup and refining how the car is responding.
One of my best friends and a guy I lived with in the dorms freshman year of college (not surprisingly, they know each other) both were karters. Went to nationals (don't ask me what class, I don't know the various ones anymore) every year, etc. They would spend thousands and thousands on their karts, so yes, I'm fully aware of the karting world's reliance on a good setup :)

struggle
12-17-2010, 09:21 AM
i bought my stringer so i could save money. i just keep re-stringing with OGSM, full bed. it works for me.

NineMileSkid
12-17-2010, 10:35 AM
I've got my two: tennis and boxing. :)

Not at the same time, I hope!