PDA

View Full Version : RPM Blast Alternative

Jeavis
12-01-2010, 09:54 AM
I've been using the RPM Blast and well .... having a blast with them. Fantastic strings! Being a top spin fanatic I love the crazy amount of spin I can generate with these but the durability is terrible. It has to be just as bad if not worse than pure gut.

Is there anything like the RPM Blast strings but with a little more durability?

Before the Blast string I was using a PHT/VS hybrid setup which I may have to go back to, just for durability.

airman88
12-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Are you using 17 gauge, if you are you could try 16.

Typhoon and barb wire are probably no more durable but cheaper,especially in reels.

Tornado is less durable so stay away from that, especially in thin gauges.

These are all fairly soft polys, and most likely more durable strings will be stiffer and not feel the same. Though RPM is fairly stiff in the lab. You could try going to ALU Rough or one of the other ALU products (spin, flouro). They have always been pretty durable, but expensive and don't maintain tension or playability well.

Jeavis
12-01-2010, 10:06 AM
I've been using the 16. I've never used an ALU string but I'll give them a try.

Carolina Racquet
12-01-2010, 11:50 AM
You should try Volkl Cyclone. Check out the blogs and reviews on this website.

Many prefer it to RPM Blast, it's $5.99 a set, and it comes in a 16g if you really need it to last.

I'm using a 16g main/17g cross Cyclone setup in my higher tension setup. Durability is great.

flashfire276
12-01-2010, 11:52 AM
You should try Volkl Cyclone. Check out the blogs and reviews on this website.

Many prefer it to RPM Blast, it's $5.99 a set, and it comes in a 16g if you really need it to last.

I'm using a 16g main/17g cross Cyclone setup in my higher tension setup. Durability is great.

+1 on Volkl Cyclone.
Also, give Tourna Big Hitter Blue Rough a try. Fantastic spin, while having a soft feel.

Hominator
01-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Just had an opportunity to try Volkl Cyclone 18. I just had my stringer put it in my Volkl PB10 mid that previously had Babolat RPM Blast 17. To me, the strings feel similar - not the same, but similar. One of the best things I like about RPM is the almost cushioned feel the stringbed has. Cyclone comes close to feeling like that. It is closer than say, MSV Focus Hex 18, which to me feels very plastic-like.

My favorite string is still RPM blast, but if I were on a tighter budget, I wouldn't hesitate to go with Volkl Cyclone 18.

I have it on good authority that both Cyclone and RPM come out of the same factory in China (despite that RPM claims to be made in France).

DrewRafter8
01-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I have RPM currently strung in one of my APDC's. I can tell you that I think Genesis Typhoon and Cyclone are great alternatives. The Cyclone was really about the same string in my opinion. The RPM had more of the Alu "wow" factor when it was fresh.

The Typhoon kept that fresh strung feeling longer then the RPM or the Cyclone. It's my favorite, but I do wish they had a thinner gauge to play around with.

rudester
01-08-2011, 02:33 PM
+1 for thinner gauge Typhoon

Murray_fan1
01-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Weiss Cannon Black5Edge, Polyfibre Black Venom