PDA

View Full Version : Babolat VS touch 16

clintontiger
12-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Did a search with not any answers, quick question, i just got in touch packages of this babolat string, the recommended tension is 53, is there any problem with stringing it at 58-60 to loosen the power some. Just was curious if going outside the tension recommendation would do some damage to the string.

Thanks,
Chris

jim e
12-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Did a search with not any answers, quick question, i just got in touch packages of this babolat string, the recommended tension is 53, is there any problem with stringing it at 58-60 to loosen the power some. Just was curious if going outside the tension recommendation would do some damage to the string.

Thanks,
Chris

Who recommends 53 lbs?
This is my string of choice.
I string my OS racquets at 64 lbs, and my MP racquets at 61 lbs.
Most of my gut clients prefer in the 60's as well. Gut plays very well at high tensions.Sampres had his strung in the 70's.

clintontiger
12-01-2010, 10:58 AM
thanks Jim, on the back of the package it says 53 pounds.

chris

coloskier
12-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Who recommends 53 lbs?
This is my string of choice.
I string my OS racquets at 64 lbs, and my MP racquets at 61 lbs.
Most of my gut clients prefer in the 60's as well. Gut plays very well at high tensions.Sampres had his strung in the 70's.

Borg was at 80.

scotus
12-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Ignore the recommended tension.

I string VS at 72 lbs with no problem whatsoever, and that's the 17 gauge Team.

The 16 gauge Touch can be strung even higher.

Dags
12-02-2010, 01:07 PM
thanks Jim, on the back of the package it says 53 pounds.

chris

I have a pack of VS Team 17 to hand. The recommended tension range on the back is 48 lbs - 66 lbs. I doubt VS Touch differs too much.

If your pack only has a single number, I would have to ask - did you get it from a reputable dealer?

pvaudio
12-02-2010, 01:07 PM
If using a crank, don't rip the crank off the stand like you do when pulling poly. I string VS Team and 1.20mm gut with a SP Aria, so I just set it to 15% prestretch at the second slowest pulling speed for anything over 60lbs. Never broken any.

scotus
12-02-2010, 01:37 PM
I have a pack of VS Team 17 to hand. The recommended tension range on the back is 48 lbs - 66 lbs. I doubt VS Touch differs too much.

If your pack only has a single number, I would have to ask - did you get it from a reputable dealer?

You have the latest, predominantly white package.

But Babolat VS has had several different types of packaging just in the last few years alone.

Some packagings list only the maximum tension. I have not come across one that lists one number for "recommended tension" but I suppose it is possible.

ClubHoUno
12-03-2010, 12:46 PM
You can string Babolat VS at 32 kg no problem :)

jim e
12-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Very strange, I never looked on the back of the new packages, as the old packs stated maximum tension 66lbs. for the 16g.
Now the new packs state 53lbs. recommended tension. But it is a recommended tension and not a maximum tension as was listed on their old sets.Be that as it is, I have gone over the maximum tension more times than I can remember.

clintontiger
12-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses, I decided to go with 62 on the tension, I have been using it at 58 and had never paid attention to the back until i just happened to notice it when they came in from the mail. I just wanted confirmation that I wouldn't break the string any sooner by going outside the recommended tension. Thanks,
Chris

Speed Kat
12-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Gut users - how do the VS Touch and VS Team compare

julian
12-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses, I decided to go with 62 on the tension, I have been using it at 58 and had never paid attention to the back until i just happened to notice it when they came in from the mail. I just wanted confirmation that I wouldn't break the string any sooner by going outside the recommended tension. Thanks,
Chris
You misunderstood my post.You have a good chance of breaking VS Gut 17 if a tension higher than 63 pounds

nvottennis
12-04-2010, 08:26 AM

What is the difference between touch and team anyways?

ClubHoUno
12-04-2010, 03:02 PM

What is the difference between touch and team anyways?

VS Team only comes in 17 gauge and has the finest gauge and quality control of any natural gut string

VS Touch comes in both 16 and 15L gauge and has a slightly less fine quality control than VS Team

jim e
12-04-2010, 03:39 PM
VS Team only comes in 17 gauge and has the finest gauge and quality control of any natural gut string

VS Touch comes in both 16 and 15L gauge and has a slightly less fine quality control than VS Team

Just wondering how is the quality control less with the touch series of strings?
I thought that the touch was 15g, or 16g. but top quality,(as both touch and team are the same price, but team is 17g. ) , and the tonic was less quality as far as gauge thickness (and is also cheaper) .

ClubHoUno
12-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Just wondering how is the quality control less with the touch series of strings?
I thought that the touch was 15g, or 16g. but top quality, and the tonic was less quality as far as gauge thickness.

I think both the VS Touch and VS Team have exceptional high quality control and gauge control, but according to Babolat the best from the Touch gut is fine tuned into the thinner gauged VS Team gut string, which is why I think one can conclude that VS Team is the finest of the natural gut from Babolat.

It demands the best and highest quality of the natural gut quality.

Speed Kat
12-05-2010, 10:47 AM
I wonder will touch and team both be coming in black