PDA

View Full Version : My big ace revo review

Power Player
12-01-2010, 11:16 AM
I have used my Big Ace Revo for 6 hours now and figured I'd drop a review on here.

Stringing -10/10 super easy. I got it done in 45 minutes on a drop weight. Seriously a breeze.

Comfort 8/10 this string is very easy on the arm. Reminds me a little of black magic but not as crisp.

Power 6/10 i strung this up at 52#s and the power was ok. The first day i found myself having to change my swing a little but i was coming from a tension of 42#s

Feel 7/10 good feel, pretty muted though. Definitely is easy on the arm and is nice and responsive when you smack the ball.

Spin is good. If you hit with spin you will get what you put into it. It is a poly and gives you very nice bite.

All in all this is a great string for the price but does not stand out on it's own for any particular reason. i still prefer genesis hexonic but would recommend trying this string out if you are looking for an inexpensive soft poly.

mawashi
12-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi Power Player,

Thanks for the nice review!

I am very interested in hearing from you as you seem to have a similar taste in strings.

So what's your impression about black magic, hexonic and typhoon please?

I really like black magic however, it looses playability rather too quick for my taste so I'm wondering if I should pre stretch the strings?

mawashi

Power Player
12-01-2010, 06:00 PM
I am just a huge fan of Hexonic. It has the best feel and power, and also is easy to string. I prefer the most so far.

bad_call
12-01-2010, 06:09 PM
PP - have u tried SpinX and can you compare Hexonic to another poly that's similar?

Power Player
12-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I tried Spinx a long time ago. I was not super into it, but don't get me wrong, I could use it and be fine. It is a good string.

The Hexonic just has a great feel to it that I have never experienced in any other poly. It also seems to last a lot longer. It will lose tension, but if you can adjust to that, it won't hurt your arm to use it longer then you normally would with a poly. I used the hexonic mains and polystar energy crosses setup when we hit (the lower tension setup I was talking about), and I have logged over 20 hours with it. I'm finally cutting it out when I string the racquet this week, and will go with full hexonic again.

bad_call
12-01-2010, 07:52 PM
thanks. have to hit with your hexonic next time...if u don't mind. :)

mawashi
12-01-2010, 08:10 PM
I am just a huge fan of Hexonic. It has the best feel and power, and also is easy to string. I prefer the most so far.

Thanks but how does the rest like bm, typhoon compare to hexonic. Also have you tried msv and how does it compare to hexonic?

mawashi

Power Player
12-02-2010, 05:53 AM
BC, definitely. I would be interested in seeing what you think.

Mawashi, it has been a while since i hit with any of those strings besides BM. BM is a really good string. When it is new it has a crisp feel to it. Hexonic has a superior feel that is unique to any poly. It is more powerful than BM and is more satisfying to hit with IMO.

I liked typhoon, but for the price, i still prefer hexonic. Hexonic is a total steal for the price to be honest.

PED
12-02-2010, 08:13 AM
PP - have u tried SpinX and can you compare Hexonic to another poly that's similar?

BC, Hexonic has better spin and better pop off of the stringbed plus it keeps its playability longer as well.

I was going to order a reel of it this past monday but they were having that crazy cyber monday sale so I had to wait. In the end, it worked out better as I got hooked up with a reel of TourBite 1.25 at a good price.

Hexonic is one of the best strings out there for the price.

One interesting note, the last 2 times I've used hexonic, I've broken the crosses and not the mains: that's never happened to me before??

bad_call
12-02-2010, 11:02 AM
PED - thanks for your $.02. will give it a try and see if the dwell time is acceptable. those highly "explosive" (little to no dwell time) strings don't suit my game.

mawashi
12-02-2010, 02:24 PM
BC, definitely. I would be interested in seeing what you think.

Mawashi, it has been a while since i hit with any of those strings besides BM. BM is a really good string. When it is new it has a crisp feel to it. Hexonic has a superior feel that is unique to any poly. It is more powerful than BM and is more satisfying to hit with IMO.

I liked typhoon, but for the price, i still prefer hexonic. Hexonic is a total steal for the price to be honest.

Thanks, I too thought of bm having a really nice feel to it when new but if hexonic feels as good if not better I'm game to try out a few packs thx! :)

mawashi

PED
12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
PED - thanks for your $.02. will give it a try and see if the dwell time is acceptable. those highly "explosive" (little to no dwell time) strings don't suit my game.

There's actually plenty of dwell time on Hexonic. Regarding the explosiveness, I find the power off the bed is like ALU where you can really get the ball to launch, it's not dead feeling at all.

It's def worth a try.

bad_call
12-02-2010, 04:08 PM
There's actually plenty of dwell time on Hexonic. Regarding the explosiveness, I find the power off the bed is like ALU where you can really get the ball to launch, it's not dead feeling at all.

It's def worth a try.

ok...cause u say so, i ordered a set (and PP liked it too). i'll be back to post my $.02. :)

01-21-2011, 01:41 PM
How does Big Ace Micro compare to Big Ace Revo?

Power Player
01-21-2011, 09:27 PM
I am a huge fan of the BAM in a hybrid setup. BC got me into it, and if I hybrid again, that is my go to setup.

01-22-2011, 07:00 AM
I am a huge fan of the BAM in a hybrid setup. BC got me into it, and if I hybrid again, that is my go to setup.

I normally use BAM in a full set at 60 lbs and am quite happy with it, but the site says that Revo is even better than "Big Ace".

Wonder if that means better than BAM?, since I find BAM to be very different from standard Big ace, even though I like them both.

Any thoughts??
anybody?

obana48
02-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Did anyone compare Big Ace Micro 1.18 and new Big Ace Revo 1.2 ?

brooker
07-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Did anyone compare Big Ace Micro 1.18 and new Big Ace Revo 1.2 ?

I'd like to know, too. Anyone can share the experiences? thanks!

Power Player
07-20-2011, 05:39 AM
All I can say is that BAM is excellent because it works at higher tensions.

Big Ace Revo is more about lower tensions.

You can do a BAM hybrid at 58-60#s and it will feel great. I wouldn't go that high with Revo.

jjs891
07-20-2011, 07:13 AM
PP

Are you still using Genesis Hexonic? I read your post a long time ago and I've been using it as my main string hybrid with NRG2.

If you found something better, I would like to try it since your recommendation was pretty good for me in the past.

Power Player
07-20-2011, 07:15 AM
I still have a pack of it left and will use it.

Had to switch to a hybrid due to tendinitis, so I am using Black Magic. I really liked Hexonic as a full job, but I will try it out and see how it compares in a hybrid as well.

Just think that Black Magic feels softer, and I currently need that right now.

jjs891
07-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanx PP.

Hope you recover fully soon!

I did try black magic and I agree that it feels softer but I like the spin and control I get from hexonic.

Does PL2 play similar to black magic?

Power Player
07-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Thank you!

I found Black Magic to play softer than PL2.