PDA

View Full Version : Between the legs

DaddyMac
06-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Ok, obviously this isn't one of the fundamentals of the game -- it's a trick shot -- but I've always wanted to know how to do it.

How do you do the "between the legs" shot? If you know how to do it, you already know what I'm talking about -- typically done when the ball is lobbed over your head and you're running back to get it, and instead of turning around to hit it, you flip the racquet between your legs to hit the ball.

I'm having trouble visualizing this, so I haven't really ever even tried it. One major concern is keeping the family line going ... any kind of swinging between the legs is a cause for concern.

Another question would be timing, and how you even can see the ball (because presumably you're not even facing it.) Do you see the ball on contact? Seems like an impossibility.

Anyone? I'm trying to start a whole new game-style where my back is to the opponent the entire time. Any help would be appreciated.

Kana Himezaki
06-08-2005, 04:53 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=49986

Should have pretty much everything.

I don't expect your new game style to have much success, but it should be fun at least. :P

donnyz89
06-08-2005, 04:54 PM
u want the ball to be extremely low when u hit this shot inorder to bring it back up. assume u are right handed... i guess u want to be running the whole time, otherwise the shot wont work. if u are stopping to wait for the ball, it wont work. u can slow down, but the point is when u are hitting, u are running through the ball too.

basically, the concept of running through the ball is that you want your right foot to be parallel to the ball when the ball is about 3/4 feet above the gound im guessing, and the split second between when the ball is 3/4 feet above the ground to about 6 inches off the ground, you take the left and step it in front of the ball as u hit it. basically, your racquet should touch the ball as your left foot land around 1/2 ft in front of the ball and your right foot can be airborn a little to make more room in your crotch.

i watched a tape of agassi doing it against federer at pacific life i think, and i watched it slowmo and this is the best way i can describe it. I can picture it, the motion just cant execute it.

RiosTheGenius
06-08-2005, 05:05 PM
sounds like a very challenging game plan man :)
this is my modest take on this shot:
-first question is; do I have time to do this. if it is a slow and not too high lob go right ahead but if it's fast or the ball bounces too high don't even try it.
as you run to the ball it idealy will bounce as high as eye level, then try to get as close to the ball as you can and as you do this change your grip (very important) , then you want to wait until the last second before it double-bounces so you're hitting the ball very low, which increases the chances of directing the ball well and while there the family line isn't theaten. as you do this open your legs and sort of twist your feet (to the left if you're righty , I turn to the right) but as you do all this never stop looking at the ball and hit the shot first then look back. one of the mistakes I used to make with this shot in the beginning was to turn two quickly to see what I did and that can ruin your shot. and lastly the most valuable thing I can say is to stay calmed the whole time because if you try to do it too quickly you'll end up hitting the ground twice before it goes over the net.
this is a trick shot so remember that you better make it or you'll be a fool... you don't want that. good luck man.

Mahboob Khan
06-08-2005, 05:12 PM
What's between the legs?

Watch an old Gabriela Sabatini video clip and you will know how to do it without losing your ability to hamper your family line! View it, visualise it, and you will be able to do it. I have never tried this shot before; therefore, this is my advice. Gabriela was master of this shot! Tennis is not the same without her!