PDA

View Full Version : Better string for depth control over ball: gut or poly?

DeShaun
12-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Today I hit with a full bed of nat gut for the first time. Depth control was an issue, in that, I was launching balls. The full bed of nat gut, to me, felt very similar to a full bed of multi--it was fun hitting flat serves in the high seventies without even bending my knees. The ball pocketing on all of my strokes was very nice. But my forehand today was largely uncontrollable; although, my 1hbh was fine. Have you guys ever experienced this, and what adjustments did you make? Thanks

mawashi
12-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Why do you think guys like sampras string gut at 70lbs or higher?

Gut is even more lively than a multi or syn gut so if you swing the same way as you do with poly, expect a lot of long balls.

mawashi

DeShaun
12-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Why do you think guys like sampras string gut at 70lbs or higher?

Gut is even more lively than a multi or syn gut so if you swing the same way as you do with poly, expect a lot of long balls.

mawashi

Stringing above 70lbs is not recommended for/could possibly damage most rackets made since 2001. I got the feeling today that, if I continued playing with this setup, the best and possibly only way for me to regain some control over my forehand would be to start hitting it flatter. Is this pretty much my only option?

mawashi
12-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Although it isn't recommended, it hasn't been proven that such high tensions will kill the frame faster. In fact I think that constant restringing due to strings dying or breaking is even worst for the frame.

I'm also not a fan of nat gut as it does break easier and is less durable than mos strings out there.

If you want a completely different experience I suggest you try Forten Kevlar Thin Blend String

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Forten_Kevlar_Thin_Blend_String/descpageACFORTEN-THIN.html

It has unbelievable control and plays really nice if a tad underpowered.

mawashi

kiteboard
12-01-2010, 10:08 PM
He started at 59lbs, and moved up for better control after adding so much lead at 3 and 9. More mass, needed higher tens.

mawashi
12-01-2010, 10:16 PM
You're talking about a PS85, try stringing nat gut at 59lbs on a babolat and see what happens?

mawashi

fuzz nation
12-02-2010, 10:00 AM
A hitting pal of mine uses PD Roddicks and asked me to string three of his frames at different tensions with 16 gauge Babolat VS Touch. He settled in on 62 lbs. and has been fine with that for quite a while. He's a very solid player and notched a couple years of college competition on his resume before "getting a life". His strong strokes include a big one-handed backhand.

Now that he plays a decent tennis schedule again, this setup has given him great power, spin, control, and comfort. After mending a nasty case of tennis elbow, the switch to natural gut has kept him symptom-free for well over a year.

We all get used to whatever feels right for us individually, but I offered this example just to give some evidence that livelier natural gut can work in a more powerful frame without turning it into a complete slingshot.

mawashi
12-02-2010, 03:29 PM
A hitting pal of mine uses PD Roddicks and asked me to string three of his frames at different tensions with 16 gauge Babolat VS Touch. He settled in on 62 lbs. and has been fine with that for quite a while. He's a very solid player and notched a couple years of college competition on his resume before "getting a life". His strong strokes include a big one-handed backhand.

Now that he plays a decent tennis schedule again, this setup has given him great power, spin, control, and comfort. After mending a nasty case of tennis elbow, the switch to natural gut has kept him symptom-free for well over a year.

We all get used to whatever feels right for us individually, but I offered this example just to give some evidence that livelier natural gut can work in a more powerful frame without turning it into a complete slingshot.

Very true that it all depends on the individual. For myself there's no way I can use gut at 60 or so I'm even thinking of stringing my stick with solico tour bit at 60 to compensate for tension loss.

mawashi

pvaudio
12-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Contrary to popular belief, I go with gut. A gut stringbed will never go dead until it breaks and will return more energy than any other string. Therefore, you know exactly how much power any given shot will have because the string lets you dictate exactly how the ball's coming off the string bed. Brush a bit more if you need more spin to get the ball into the court. That's the advantage of the incredible feel of natural gut. With polyester, you don't have much feel and rely on its spin and how hard you hit the ball to control the depth more than anything. It's like a tool: the gut does the work for you, you just fine tune the input to what you want at the output. The poly requires both fine tuning at the input and for the output since it's less responsive.

mawashi
12-02-2010, 05:03 PM
The majority of polys do feel pretty bad and they do play rather heavy handed however, the issue with gut is the durability in hot humid climates.

After paying $70 for a nat gut string job only to find it broken in the bag after a month is just painful!

However, it does have fantastic feel. Recently I was able to hit with some big ace micro and genesis black magic and I am really impressed with those strings as they have rally good feel for polys and have really good control too.

mawashi

ClubHoUno
12-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Today I hit with a full bed of nat gut for the first time. Depth control was an issue, in that, I was launching balls. The full bed of nat gut, to me, felt very similar to a full bed of multi--it was fun hitting flat serves in the high seventies without even bending my knees. The ball pocketing on all of my strokes was very nice. But my forehand today was largely uncontrollable; although, my 1hbh was fine. Have you guys ever experienced this, and what adjustments did you make? Thanks

Natural gut takes some getting used to. It behaves in a totally different way compared to a poly. To get a more controlled forehand from a full bed of natural gut, you have to brush the ball more, hit up on it using a semi western grip or even full western for some and maybe holding back just a little bit.

On the other hand, as you mention, the one handed backhand plays more powerful and natural with full natual gut. Serves are like absolute bombs with full natural gut as you have also discovered :)

I have 2 of my TSK 238.5 currently strung with full VS 17 Team natural gut @ 68 lbs/30 kg and they play really nice.
I prefer what I have in my other 2 TSK 238.5 - VS Team 17 mains @ 26 kg and Alu Rough @ 24 kg, but full VS Team 17 natty gut just has that extra bit of feel and touch, that I will never stop loving :D

I believe a full job of VS Team 17 natty gut plays perfectly up until it breaks - I have played 8-10 hours with mine now and it looks close to breaking now, but it still plays great!

You have to be patient with full natty gut - it takes time to learn to appreciate it the right way ;)

pvaudio
12-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. You really do appreciate the difference that natural gut has even over the best of the multifilaments (SNGPS aside). It's not that it's powerful, it's that its power is dictated exactly by whatyou do and how much power you want. All other string types have a set power level which you can't really modulate that much. With natural gut, its elasticity allows you to make an effortless half-volley pickup deep into the court or to hit a huge DTL winner on back to back points. Just depends on how you work the racquet. I like to say the string works for you: you tell it what to do and it does it. Since no other string type is like that, you need to get acclimated to it.

DeShaun
12-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. You really do appreciate the difference that natural gut has even over the best of the multifilaments (SNGPS aside). It's not that it's powerful, it's that its power is dictated exactly by whatyou do and how much power you want. All other string types have a set power level which you can't really modulate that much. With natural gut, its elasticity allows you to make an effortless half-volley pickup deep into the court or to hit a huge DTL winner on back to back points. Just depends on how you work the racquet. I like to say the string works for you: you tell it what to do and it does it. Since no other string type is like that, you need to get acclimated to it.

Yeah, thanks guys. Volleying is so nice and easy with gut, first serves are a blast, and the backhand is solid- if a bit punchy. I do dislike how much the gut strings move, though. For this, I have been averse to brushing up on the ball. But if brushing is what it takes to control it, compromise as usual looks to be my only option. Thanks again for the feedback.

Racer41c
12-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Stringing above 70lbs is not recommended for/could possibly damage most rackets made since 2001. I got the feeling today that, if I continued playing with this setup, the best and possibly only way for me to regain some control over my forehand would be to start hitting it flatter. Is this pretty much my only option?

Depending on the gut, I'd make 3 changes: Go to a bigger guage, increase tension, switch to a lower power gut. I'm at 62 lbs with 16g and it's excellent. With the same string 60 lbs started off great but started lauching 1/2 way through it's life.

Pacific rates it's guts for several attributes including power, Classic being the lowest of their 3 products.