PDA

View Full Version : Powerful, open pattern, stiffer frames - string alternatives to poly?...

Ross K
12-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Hey string gurus,:)

Okay, a bit noobish I know... strings has always been my weak-point (too much attention on being a racketaholic... QFT! :roll: )... anyhow...

I'm a poly user these days and pretty much have been for years (a few little detours aside)... I've previously been of the opinion that more powerful, open pattern, stiffer frames (like Babs for example) were simply, made for polys... but a sore wrist/hand this week has got me thinking (and funnily enough, I had an injury flare up around this time last year from poly/powerful, stiffer racket usage)...

So, just curious what ppl think the options are if you like playing more powerful, open pattern frames and you play more a b-liner game, and you like big power/topspin/control - but NOT polys... and btw, yes, to protect from injury is one main reason I'm asking... a tad more comfort and feel might be nice... but also, I'm getting a bit frustrated with the contant restringing and the short string life!:evil:

I'm thinking multis in a full job (I know many say this a no-no, but I'd really welcome ppl's recommendations here), but hybrid suggestions, you name it - what do you guys and girls use who aren't using full poly jobs in your APDS, and BLX 95s, and PDs, etc, use?

TIA,

R.

ManuGinobili
12-01-2010, 11:53 PM
UK's own Mantis Power Poly/Comfort Synthetic is worth a try

Carolina Racquet
12-02-2010, 04:10 AM
Ross...

Have you tried going really low tension w poly? The spin is crazy and the string bed feels like butter. My tender arm loves it.

I went down to 35-37# in an 16/19 frame and was blown over by how it played. The biggest downside was the strange sound made at contact, but I used a dampener to solve that issue.

If that's not a viable option, I found Head RIP Control to be very comfortable, but it in no way plays like poly. My topspin had more drive and it took some adjustment to get it to work for me.

One other note, the string movement you experience with strings other than poly drove me nuts. I guess I got spoiled by poly.

Power Player
12-02-2010, 06:00 AM
Low tension poly on the APDC is a crappy experience to be honest. I would suggest synthetic gut. It is inexpensive and you can hybrid a poly with it. My favorite hybrid is big ace micro mains and wilson stamina crosses. This is a very inexpensive and comfortable setup. You can string it at around 54/56 and be all set.

If you don't try new strings out much it explains why you switch racquets so much. Strings define the feel and playability of your racquet. Many people switch sticks and waste money when they could simply have tried different string setups and gotten what they were looking for that way instead.

Have fun with it and see what works out for you.

SteveI
12-02-2010, 06:11 AM
Hey string gurus,:)

Okay, a bit noobish I know... strings has always been my weak-point (too much attention on being a racketaholic... QFT! :roll: )... anyhow...

I'm a poly user these days and pretty much have been for years (a few little detours aside)... I've previously been of the opinion that more powerful, open pattern, stiffer frames (like Babs for example) were simply, made for polys... but a sore wrist/hand this week has got me thinking (and funnily enough, I had an injury flare up around this time last year from poly/powerful, stiffer racket usage)...

So, just curious what ppl think the options are if you like playing more powerful, open pattern frames and you play more a b-liner game, and you like big power/topspin/control - but NOT polys... and btw, yes, to protect from injury is one main reason I'm asking... a tad more comfort and feel might be nice... but also, I'm getting a bit frustrated with the contant restringing and the short string life!:evil:

I'm thinking multis in a full job (I know many say this a no-no, but I'd really welcome ppl's recommendations here), but hybrid suggestions, you name it - what do you guys and girls use who aren't using full poly jobs in your APDS, and BLX 95s, and PDs, etc, use?

TIA,

R.

Gamma Marathon, Gosen ProForm Ruff, Head Rip Control 16.. maybe

jazar
12-02-2010, 06:19 AM
try a hybrid with the multi on the main. plays quite similar to a full bed of multi, but has more control

fuzz nation
12-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Howdy Ross,

Would you believe that through the whole journey of racquet experimentation we've traded notes on, I'm still McLovin' my good ol' 6.1 Classics? Those frames along with a few others that have remained in my bag in recent history have done well for me with just about any 17 gauge synthetic gut. The only exception has been the Prince syn. gut w/Duraflex - that stuff plays too stiff for me.

As for other the other thin syn. guts I've used, I've generally liked the snappy response and crisp feel that I don't get with the multi's that I've tried, but there's also enough softness with the thinner string compared to a 16 gauge version that it's more comfortable for me, even in a stiffer frame. Sure, I'm spoiled since I've got my own string machine (I'm not worried about durability), but this stuff has the feel, performance, and comfort I like.

rudester
12-02-2010, 08:57 AM
I too am a racketaholic and shameless experimenter of strings, have been for years. I pretty much know which racquet is the best for my young self and that was the PS85 original, but it is demanding of a guy whose footwork has slowed a bit, therefore i am in constant search of the new old fart holy grail. 64 racquets later and countless string jobs, and i finally have found the racquet. Now the search for strings continues, I too like poly but found it harsh on the shoulder too.
Since i have stuck to one racquet i am better able to assess the true qualities of any given string, and have tried quite a few.
I would support the post that Power Player had regarding Big Ace Micro, i have found this string to be superb and economical. Currently i have all 4 of my playing racquets strung up with BAM and loving it. Easy on the arm, pocketbook and easy access to spin. I started out using it in the mains as a hybrid, i am now using it as a full setup because strung in the mid 50s it is still easy on the arm, plenty of touch and control as well. All of this IMHO

jjs891
12-02-2010, 08:58 AM
I agree with jazar. I've been using full Tech NRG2 17 for a long time, but recently started to experiment with hybrids again. This time I am using NRG in the main and used various soft copolys in the crosses, and they are very comfortable. Give it a try. You may be pleasantly surprised. Right now I really like the combo of NRG/ Genesis Hexonic quite a bit. Durability is not very good but it's a relatively inexpensive combo.

Ross K
12-02-2010, 10:15 AM
fuzz,

Hi ya fuzz, yes... I had Prince Syn gut w/Duraflex in my PT280... stiff as a board!... point noted though (snappy, crisp response) re syn guts in general.

Jazar,

What you say interests me... I might have to email you privately for some specific recommendations Jamie.

Steve,

Thanks... now you wrap up warm, you here.:wink:

rudester,

I hear you re BAM... but, come on, you can't say all that without revealing what your 'holy grail' turned out to be!?

PP,

Yes.. I'm interested definitely in BAM, and take your point re hybridsw/ syn guts... and btw, totally agree on not liking the APD strung extremely low... and this from someone who is happy with them at 52 ibs with Solinco TB.

Carolina,

Yes, as above - I like polys low but not crazy low!... I'm familiar with RIP but thought it was so-so, quite nice, nothing x-factor-ish about it (even had it in an APD full job)... like a lot of things, I'm wondering if, at the time, I didn't quite realise how good it was.

jjs,

I'm familiar with NRG and like it... but I've never played it in a stiff, powerful frame and wasn't sure it would suit it.

Cheers all,

R.

Keep your recommendations, thoughts, etc, coming in!