PDA

View Full Version : More on string braking:Made this question in raquet forum, no good replies

salsainglesa
12-01-2010, 10:50 PM
In terms of precentage, how longer will the strings last in a frame with this specs: 95 sq inches, 18x20 pattern

in comparision to a:

100 sq inches 16x19 pattern

Thank you!

I am using kevlar now, but I want to know what you guys think and maybe if there is some noticeably extended durability switch to another string.

mikeler
12-02-2010, 04:28 AM
I put out a question of 18x20 versus 16x19 last year and most folks responded that the strings would last about 1.5 times longer. In your case it sounds like it might be even more than that. Kevlar is the most durable string made.

Consolation
12-02-2010, 08:10 AM
It will depend on the racquets...

In the past 3 years I've used 4 racquets a fair bit.

Using a Ktour90 (90sqin, 16x19), BB Alu would last me 2-3 hours of hitting.
Using a Prince Ignite Team (100sqin, 16x19) with the Hole inserts (less string movement), BB Alu would last me 1.5-2 hours.
Price Ignite Team with port inserts (move string movement), BB Alu 30-45 minutes.
Dunlop AG 4d 200 (95sqin, 18x20), BB Alu 3-4 Hours of hitting.
Wilson BLX Pro Tour (96sq in, 18x20...but much denser than the Dunlop), BB Alu lasts 6 hours + (to where I'm switching strings becuase, for the first time, they are lasting long enough to go dead before they break).

salsainglesa
12-02-2010, 09:45 AM
I am planning on buying a Prince Rebel 95, previously I had an Ozone tour 100...

They dont have the Grommets but this holes wich I dont know the name of, do this contributes to string breaking?

Ambivalent
12-02-2010, 04:13 PM
I used to play with a microgel radical pro and now i play with a prestige mid. From a 100 in 16x19 to a 93 in 18x20, i can tell you that strings last me much, much longer. Probably higher than 1.5 and closer to 2 times as long.

Noodles
12-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Using a Prince Ignite Team (100sqin, 16x19) with the Hole inserts (less string movement), BB Alu would last me 1.5-2 hours.
Price Ignite Team with port inserts (move string movement), BB Alu 30-45 minutes.
Dunlop AG 4d 200 (95sqin, 18x20), BB Alu 3-4 Hours of hitting. HAHAHA. (unless you string at 80 lbs.)

Ambivalent
12-02-2010, 06:07 PM

Wilson BLX Pro Tour (96sq in, 18x20...but much denser than the Dunlop), BB Alu lasts 6 hours + (to where I'm switching strings becuase, for the first time, they are lasting long enough to go dead before they break).

I don't see how that's possible. String movement is not why polys break. They break because they snap over time due to tension.
I don't think Roger Federer would even break BB Alu in less than an hour.

Consolation
12-02-2010, 06:59 PM
I don't see how that's possible. String movement is not why polys break. They break because they snap over time due to tension.
I don't think Roger Federer would even break BB Alu in less than an hour.

Polys break from notching, which increases with string movement (for a given tension).

I know lots of people that break polys in 1-2 hours. The extreme string movement that the speedports allow (with the port inserts), can speed that up even more.

mctennis
12-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Who the heck is doing your stringing that you break strings so fast????

TennisNinja
12-02-2010, 08:42 PM
String savers help.

pvaudio
12-02-2010, 08:57 PM
To the people breaking poly within an hour: keep in mind that pro players like Tsonga, Soderling, Monfils and Haas all use full beds of poly and come equipped with a selection of 4-8 racquets. The really anal ones, such as Federer, switch racquets every six games. Six games. That's six games hitting forehands and backhands faster than you can serve. Just think about how much abuse a professional stringbed will take in six games versus your 45 minutes of hitting. One of a few things is happening: your tension is ridiculous, you're stringing improperly or you're hitting off center.

Also note that other players, Federer included, are using hybrid setups with far less durability than a full bed of poly. Keep that in mind the next time you think it's cool that you break poly so quickly.

pvaudio
12-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Who the heck is doing your stringing that you break strings so fast????A player here who plays with Tour Bite used only two of his racquets during his entire match. Since some of you know where I go to school, I won't say his name or what position he plays for privacy reasons, but the stringbeds of both racquets were intact after a close 2 set D1 tennis match.

Consolation
12-03-2010, 06:29 AM
There's a lot of variables involved, including the one the OP was asking about. A persons stroke style also makes a big difference. I have 2 players that are essentially equally skilled. They use different racquets, but they have similar string densities. They use the same string. One cuts it out of his racquets every weekend because it goes dead, the other breaks 4-5 a week.

Pros that change racquets during matches aren't (for the most part) doing it because of durability concerns. They like a certain feeling from their strings. After x number of games the racquet is too far from that feeling(look at any of the common string tension loss comparisons to see how much tension strings lose from even a few impacts).

The amount of abuse strings get during a pro match is really quite low. A 2 hour match will see them hit about the same number of balls as in 20 minutes of hard drilling.

The OP was asking how much string density can effect string life. The answer is a lot. The speedport racquets, with the port inserts, are notorious for breaking strings. Just do a google search, or read a few of the TW reviews on this site where the testers frequently commented on it.

pvaudio
12-03-2010, 06:38 AM
There's a lot of variables involved, including the one the OP was asking about. A persons stroke style also makes a big difference. I have 2 players that are essentially equally skilled. They use different racquets, but they have similar string densities. They use the same string. One cuts it out of his racquets every weekend because it goes dead, the other breaks 4-5 a week.

Pros that change racquets during matches aren't (for the most part) doing it because of durability concerns. They like a certain feeling from their strings. After x number of games the racquet is too far from that feeling(look at any of the common string tension loss comparisons to see how much tension strings lose from even a few impacts).

The amount of abuse strings get during a pro match is really quite low. A 2 hour match will see them hit about the same number of balls as in 20 minutes of hard drilling.

The OP was asking how much string density can effect string life. The answer is a lot. The speedport racquets, with the port inserts, are notorious for breaking strings. Just do a google search, or read a few of the TW reviews on this site where the testers frequently commented on it.
The bolded part is just ridiculous. No one breaks a string every single time they step on the court. He's not hitting with more spin than Rafa, and Rafa's not doing it.

The incredulity of this statement has left me without words. A two hour match at the US Open will wear strings as much as 20 minutes of drills.

salsainglesa
12-04-2010, 01:35 AM
I got the rebel today, I bought it really cheap at a sale in a department store, its the real thing.
Ill test it, and see how long it takes to break...

Density must really be a variable, I wanted to know what your experience is and everything has been helpful. In the end its only our appretiation, it doesn't have to be the absolute truth...

Consolation
12-04-2010, 07:27 AM
The bolded part is just ridiculous. No one breaks a string every single time they step on the court. He's not hitting with more spin than Rafa, and Rafa's not doing it.

The incredulity of this statement has left me without words. A two hour match at the US Open will wear strings as much as 20 minutes of drills.

I don't know how often Rafa breaks strings in practice, but I do know for a lot of other pros, and for some it's several a day. The guys I referenced above are playing 15-25 hours/week. I suspect that Rafa, even though he uses a coated 1.35 co-poly, is breaking quite a few.

Actual playtime in matches depends on the surface and type of players, but is usually between 15-30% of total match time. You mentioned the US Open, which is towards the bottom, 18% or so on average. During drills the uptime is 90%+. In addition, doing drills usually involves repetitive patterns that are even tougher on the strings (many people can attest how using a ball machine is tougher on strings than regular hitting for this reason).

Pretty much everyone hits harder in practice than in matches, for a majority of shots. The money shots in matches are harder, but the average is at most the same.

I play with D1 college guys (the ones I mentioned above), challenger players, and have been a hitting partner for several ATP players when they are in the area. I realize that may not match the experience your 1500 TT posts have afforded you, but it's a start.

But anyway... The Rebel sounds like a great racquet. I know a few people that hit with it, and they love it. I have no doubt you'll notice much improved string life using it.

TennezSport
12-04-2010, 10:15 AM

PV,

There may be other reasons why a player is breaking poly string so quickly. If they are playing every day for 4-5hrs and hitting a load of spin, notching will develop rather quickly especially in softer co-poly strings. Typical D1 college players do put a lot of hours on their string. I have a D1 player here who goes through Babolat Revenge every week (15-20hrs of play). Remember that Rafa and pro players in general string every day, so they always start with a fresh set.

Another reason could be a lot of stringers do not realize that poly string can be alomst as delicate at NG string if not handled correctly when stringing. Poly string is very susceptible to kinking or hard twisting during stringing and can cause premature breakage. High tensions can also cause breakage because the string has reached its maximum stretch before you even hit a ball. Shanking is also a big culprit because the string cannot withstand the impact against the grommet.

So while it's not the average it is possible that someone could be breaking poly frequently. When I studied with Ron Rocchi of Wilson at this year GSS symposium, they showed us several techniques used by the USO stringing team on how to protect poly string.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Buckethead
12-04-2010, 12:20 PM

You hit harder than the pro's??
I don't see any Pro playing on HC hitting the crap out of the balls breaking their full Luxilon from 55-62 lbs in less than 1.5 hours.
You must be the Hulk of tennis.

Jonny S&V
12-04-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't see any Pro playing on HC hitting the crap out of the balls breaking their full Luxilon from 55-62 lbs in less than 1.5 hours.

What about Jo11yRoger tho? ;-)

Pwned
12-04-2010, 12:42 PM

What does Xavier Malisse use? He broke at least two strings in his first round match at Bercy. It didn't even look like he was hitting that hard.

Consolation
12-04-2010, 01:52 PM

I use a BLX Pro Tour now, and ALU lasts me 8-10 hours. If you gave any number of pros Ignite Teams with ports, they'd be breaking strings in less than an hour also. That was the point of my post. String density, but also other racquet characteristics, has a huge impact on string durability.

And if you've never seen a pro break a full set of Luxilon in under 90 minutes, you've not watched many pro practice sessions, because it's not that uncommon an occurance.

Ambivalent
12-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Polys break from notching, which increases with string movement (for a given tension).

I know lots of people that break polys in 1-2 hours. The extreme string movement that the speedports allow (with the port inserts), can speed that up even more.

Notching doesn't occur from friction. notching in polys occur over time due to them digging into another. Friction and movement is not the same as the strings cutting little welts into themselves.

ClubHoUno
12-04-2010, 03:20 PM
What about Jo11yRoger tho? ;-)

Jolly eats Kevlar and Alu Rough for breakfast :twisted:

I'm very happy I don't break strings that fast.......

Buckethead
12-04-2010, 08:58 PM
What does Xavier Malisse use? He broke at least two strings in his first round match at Bercy. It didn't even look like he was hitting that hard.
He uses multifilament (babolat) but I can't remeber, but not a Luxilon poly.
He does break strings a lot. I saw him in a tournament and He had 4 broken.