PDA

View Full Version : What are the most important feature you look for when to buy string?

Buckethead
12-02-2010, 09:11 AM
I am interested in knowing what everybody here think.
It is multiple choice, but if you can narrow down to 2 features only would be great and explain why.

Buckethead
12-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I only look for a good bit of performance. A string that can perform really well for more than 5 hours and give me spin that I need, I can deal with the rest.

TheBoom
12-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Spin and durability for sure

TennisAddict121
12-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Durability and comfort. I can produce my own spin and power, my college buys string for me so price doesnt matter and tension maintenance doesnt even matter because its rare for strings to last longer than 6 hours (including polys)

Funbun
12-03-2010, 06:48 PM
By all means tension. I can't play with a string if it dies in 4 hours, then I have to restring or change my strokes. Especially since I string at higher tensions, it ticks me off when the stringbed gets too uncontrollable.

kiteboard
12-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Yet, gut is the best at tens. loss, so is increasing the crosses in tens. more than the mains, yet most don't use gut, and most lower the tens. of crosses vs. mains. Is that due to ignorance on the part of stringers, or they know that it will feel good for a short time and then go long?

TennisAddict121
12-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Yet, gut is the best at tens. loss, so is increasing the crosses in tens. more than the mains, yet most don't use gut, and most lower the tens. of crosses vs. mains. Is that due to ignorance on the part of stringers, or they know that it will feel good for a short time and then go long?

Gut is very expensive especially if you are a college student and struggle to keep have a poly last you 3-4 days of hitting. I remember I played with a gut hybrid once and it lasted me less than 2 hours...i couldnt imagine actually spending that much on stringing

Speed Kat
12-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Control, power, and comfort.. these three probably can't co-exist though!

kiteboard
12-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Ten. main. and spin access are dominating. Gut best at main., and blue gear ultra, or barb wire type best at spin. I've tried hybrids of both, in crosses/mains in both.

Buckethead
12-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Ten. main. and spin access are dominating. Gut best at main., and blue gear ultra, or barb wire type best at spin. I've tried hybrids of both, in crosses/mains in both.
By now you can only say the MSV Focus Hex 1.10 is the the best string for spin out there, since the CoF of its material 1.23 is the same, and has the lowest CoF for poly by itself, followed by BB Original , Heptatwist.
But nothing compares with gut.
I used Champ's choice 2 months ago and found it to be the very best of what you can have.
I'll try gut and RPM , which should be really good, and gut and MSV F Hex next year since we are going to the winter now.

nalvarado
12-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Price and preformance

coolblue123
12-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Price and Comfort. It's a given fact most of the time that tension is going to go down once you're going to play with the string. I rather play with fresh strings and change more often then play with great expensive old strings.

nvottennis
12-04-2010, 12:36 PM
By now you can only say the MSV Focus Hex 1.10 is the the best string for spin out there, since the CoF of its material 1.23 is the same, and has the lowest CoF for poly by itself, followed by BB Original , Heptatwist.
But nothing compares with gut.
I used Champ's choice 2 months ago and found it to be the very best of what you can have.
I'll try gut and RPM , which should be really good, and gut and MSV F Hex next year since we are going to the winter now.

cof means nothing in reality.. sure it does affect it, but in the grand scheme, its just another factor like anything else

nalvarado
12-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Price and preformance

Whoops forgot to explain why.

I have no problem playing with an inexpensive string. That being said if I feel I play twice as good with a certain string I have no problem paying twice as much. If there is only a slight increase in preformance I will not shell out twice as much for the string.

nvottennis
12-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Spin and tension maintenance,
My game is a spin dominated one to the point where I exaggerate certain strokes to manipulate the most spin out of it. However, there is a price to this- arm and shoulder problems. Yet if a string loses tension, whats the whole point of using the set up if the balls fly everywhere and have no control

MuscleWeave
12-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Comfort and control, although price is also very important. But if I had to go up $3 per set to get the comfort and control I want I'd gladly do it.

rodrigoamaral
12-04-2010, 06:10 PM
control and tension matienance for me.

Buckethead
12-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Spin and tension maintenance,
My game is a spin dominated one to the point where I exaggerate certain strokes to manipulate the most spin out of it. However, there is a price to this- arm and shoulder problems. Yet if a string loses tension, whats the whole point of using the set up if the balls fly everywhere and have no control
Tornado didn't hold the tension as well as I expected however is a great string.
I thought the heptatwist gave a greater spin, but it was also stiffer, lower powered and about the same in tension maintenance and the price is almost the same as well, very similar strings.
Comfort and control, although price is also very important. But if I had to go up $3 per set to get the comfort and control I want I'd gladly do it.
What string do you use? How much do you pay??

kiteboard
12-04-2010, 10:47 PM
control and tension matienance for me.

If that's true, you would like the string that's best at both: vs team 17g. No string like if for either category. So from now on, Rodgrigo will use a full bed of vs team 17g!