PDA

View Full Version : Natural gut tension?

nvottennis
12-02-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm trying a full bed of tonic 16 for the first time (normally use gut in hybrids beforehand). Should I change the tension to make up for the difference in how it plays to full poly? I use 62lbs for poly, so maybe like 64lbs for gut? Really, i dont want my shots to be uncontrollable/ overpowered.

scotus
12-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Try more like 70 lbs.

If you are using stiff polys at 62 lbs, that would be equivalent to the stringbed stiffness of 66-69 lbs of synthetic gut.

Gut is a lot more powerful than that.

Having said this, I have never used Tonic, and I do not know whether it can withstand the tension of 70 lbs.

If you have a VS, then yes, it can certainly go over 70 with no problem. But isn't Tonic the second-quality gut?

You might want to try a gut-synthetic hybrid rather than full gut.

julian
12-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Try more like 70 lbs.

If you are using stiff polys at 62 lbs, that would be equivalent to the stringbed stiffness of 66-69 lbs of synthetic gut.

Gut is a lot more powerful than that.

Having said this, I have never used Tonic, and I do not know whether it can withstand the tension of 70 lbs.

If you have a VS, then yes, it can certainly go over 70 with no problem. But isn't Tonic the second-quality gut?

You might want to try a gut-synthetic hybrid rather than full gut.

Please check whether a package has a limit specified.
Some 17 gauge packages have a limit of 62 or 63 pounds.
TW could help

scotus
12-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Please check whether a package has a limit specified.
Some 17 gauge packages have a limit of 62 or 63 pounds.
TW could help

The VS can be strung safely at least 10 lbs higher than the stated maximum tension.

But I have no idea how the Tonic would fare.

nvottennis
12-02-2010, 04:02 PM
The VS can be strung safely at least 10 lbs higher than the stated maximum tension.

But I have no idea how the Tonic would fare.

I believe tonic is made of the same quality, its just not aesthetically at the same level (some inconsistency in color, gauge diameter, etc).