PDA

View Full Version : Can the Shape of a Racquet be changed like this

kenshireen
12-02-2010, 04:39 PM
I bought a kblade team and it looked like it was real...but I had a gut feel it was not.
Weight/balance all felt pretty accurate. The main reason was that it came with a case.

Anyways...I strung the racket...56lbs on a Bab star 2

I than measured it and it was 27 inches instead of the 27.25...
I also then put the head up against a real kblade team that I had and I noticed that the head was slightly larger at 3 and 9... It was a bit wider.

My question is this:
Could I have altered the length and shape while stringing or is this the original mesurements.
If your answer to the first is that I could have altered..if I tear the strings out would it revert back to its true shape.

Thanks

esgee48
12-02-2010, 04:49 PM
The possible answer is yes. When you strung up the racquet, did you snug the frame up the support beams/columns before tightening? If you miss this step, the frame will deform. Play with the racquet to see how it plays. As the string bed loosens, it may gradually regain the 1/4 inch. Or cut the string job out.

SteveI
12-02-2010, 05:06 PM
I bought a kblade team and it looked like it was real...but I had a gut feel it was not.
Weight/balance all felt pretty accurate. The main reason was that it came with a case.

Anyways...I strung the racket...56lbs on a Bab star 2

I than measured it and it was 27 inches instead of the 27.25...
I also then put the head up against a real kblade team that I had and I noticed that the head was slightly larger at 3 and 9... It was a bit wider.

My question is this:
Could I have altered the length and shape while stringing or is this the original mesurements.
If your answer to the first is that I could have altered..if I tear the strings out would it revert back to its true shape.

Thanks

Yes: Frames can deform during the stringing process. If you cut the strings out and the frames returns to 27.25.. then the frame might have been not mounted quite the right way.. or your stringing machine support system is not the best.. ie Klippermate. Stringing the crosses @ a different tension than the mains many also cause a frame to deform. Also do not discount the fact that some frames are just on the short side. In most cases, I have only seen a frame to be off by 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch. 1/4 of an inch is quite a bit.

Good luck..
Steve

Ambivalent
12-02-2010, 06:06 PM
My prestige mids deform and shorten a little if i string crosses at same tension as mains. Thats why i usually string 3 lbs heavier crosses.

ceeecil
12-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I have a Star 2 and been having the same problem. My racquets are about 1/4 inch shorter with a rounder looking head. Tensions anywhere from 50 to 58 (i do string crosses 2lbs less).

They return to correct size & shape after the strings are removed and play fine. On my old Model H there is no change in length or shape.

I don't think I have that funky mounting system figured out yet

SteveI
12-03-2010, 08:07 AM
I have a Star 2 and been having the same problem. My racquets are about 1/4 inch shorter with a rounder looking head. Tensions anywhere from 50 to 58 (i do string crosses 2lbs less).

They return to correct size & shape after the strings are removed and play fine. On my old Model H there is no change in length or shape.

I don't think I have that funky mounting system figured out yet

Is the bab 2 star a two point mounting system???

ceeecil
12-03-2010, 08:39 AM
The Star 2 has an older 6 point mounting system. At 6 and 12 the mounting is the same as current 6 point setups on many machines. The difference is the side supports. They are a "pusher" type support and can be positioned in several different locations around the head (2/10, 8/4) of the racquet. Then a threaded rod with a pad on the end pushes downward and into the racquet.

I think there is a picture of this on the photostringer websight.

Also I said above that my racquets come out was 1/4 short. It is actually 1/8 inch.

kenshireen
12-03-2010, 09:23 AM
I have the same mounting system.. my racket don't change length.
Possible 1/8 or less but it is not discernable.

My racket was a fake and I suspect the shortage and misshape head are just part of the poor quality control... I opened the butt and there is no foam but nails sticking through.. 100% fake