PDA

View Full Version : The D.Drew Review: Pro Supex Blue Gear Ultra!! :D

tennisfreak565
12-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Hi everyone,
This board has given me a lot of info so it's time for me to give some back :)
Okay i got Blue Gear Ultra Blue strung at 58 on my Vortex ES 100 and all i can say is WOW!

Spin- Not as good as i had hoped for actually. You would think with all the texture and twisting in this string would give a lot of "effortless" spin but this string does not produce spin for you so you still have to work a little lol but it gives very nice "controllable" spin. I'd say for spin...7/10.

Power- I wasn't expecting it but this string gives some very good pop! The thing i love about it is it's controllable power because of the spin. 8/10

Control- I think BGU really shines hear, i haven't had this much control with any string i don't think. Really good! Pinpoint accuracy, the tennis balls and lines have a magnet on them! Never hit a ball out, just in the net of course. 9/10

Comfort- This string is stiff. I would definetly not call this string comfy! Wrist hurt first 10 minutes or so until i got use to the stiffness. After that no problems though. 5/10

Groundstrokes- Really great! Could hit really hard with it still going in! 9/10

Serves- My favorite thing about this string! Lots of spin on them(especially slice) and could really serve some bombs because of the extra pop! 10/10 easily.

I think i covered everything but feel free to ask questions! Bottom line- You need to try these! Very impressed!

Icedorb217
12-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Volleys? Feel?

kiteboard
12-03-2010, 07:40 AM
I have a reel of blue gear ultra, 94% complete, if anyone wants it: $65

tennisfreak565
12-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Volleys? Feel?

Oh yeah thats a big part lol well i didn't hit much volleys because i tried to at first but it hurt my wrist (if you recall the pain went away after a while but i didn't hit any volleys after that). The time i hit them they felt ok but not great. Pretty solid and easy enough to control but is hard to volley if your in pain IMO. Feel, again only okay but i don't look for feel in strings so it didn't bother me. Volleys and feel are probably the worst aspects about the string. Hope that helped!

ClairHarmony
12-03-2010, 01:41 PM

I'll definitely take this, and can also straight up trade you a leftover 3/4 reel of Weiscannon Silverstring 1.20mm as well if interested. What's your e-mail address?

nvottennis
12-03-2010, 02:37 PM

what did you not like about it?

kiteboard
12-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I fell off a ladder, and fended off a pit bull which both hurt my elbow, and the string just killed it worst.

nvottennis
12-03-2010, 03:59 PM
If the string didnt hurt your arm any worse, do you think its worth using?

kiteboard
12-03-2010, 07:27 PM
It's got more spin than any but barb wire, but more controllable, and less tens. loss due to its stiffness, if you can take the arm shock! I loved it with vs team gut as cross, higher on cross tens. to retain tens. better. Huge control. The gut also dampened the arm pain somewhat, and increased the touch/power/feel ratio to the best levels.

tennisfreak565
12-04-2010, 06:19 AM
I fell off a ladder, and fended off a pit bull which both hurt my elbow, and the string just killed it worst.

Ouch! Well thats a good reason not to use this string because it is kinda hard on your arm. So yeah i agree if you can get past that pain its a wonderful string! Oh one more question, i'm trying out barb wire after bgu but what didn't you like about it?

nvottennis
12-04-2010, 08:32 AM
It's got more spin than any but barb wire, but more controllable, and less tens. loss due to its stiffness, if you can take the arm shock! I loved it with vs team gut as cross, higher on cross tens. to retain tens. better. Huge control. The gut also dampened the arm pain somewhat, and increased the touch/power/feel ratio to the best levels.

That's a shame.. I loved barbwire's spin, but if it's under par with it, im not sure if its worth making a single purchase at a different place besides tw and pay for s/h.

tennisfreak565
12-04-2010, 09:21 AM
That's a shame.. I loved barbwire's spin, but if it's under par with it, im not sure if its worth making a single purchase at a different place besides tw and pay for s/h.

BGU is definitely worth trying! It might even be the best string i've tried!

kiteboard
12-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Ouch! Well thats a good reason not to use this string because it is kinda hard on your arm. So yeah i agree if you can get past that pain its a wonderful string! Oh one more question, i'm trying out barb wire after bgu but what didn't you like about it?

I also have a 3/4 reel of barb wire, for $80. It has too much spin, which takes the ball into the net too often.

hescobal
12-04-2010, 10:29 AM
I'd be interested in barbwire. Email me at hescobal@gmail.com on where to send paypal

rodrigoamaral
12-04-2010, 06:12 PM
string sounds pretty interesting.. i shall put it on my list to try and will let you guys know what i think..

Ambivalent
12-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I also have a 3/4 reel of barb wire, for $80. It has too much spin, which takes the ball into the net too often.

I'd be interested in this...
Leg4cy@gmail.com

rodrigoamaral
12-07-2010, 05:46 PM
thanks for your opinion on the string.. just ordered some up from mid west sports and will post a review when i get a chance..

tjwalker097
12-08-2010, 05:25 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^
I wonder, if it's similar to Barb Wire in terms of spin and tension maintenance.

tennisfreak565
12-09-2010, 04:39 AM
Okay i've had it a week now and of course it definetly isnt as good when it was freshly strung, but its still good. Some tension loss and its getting a little dead( but i am playing in cold weather) but its still good.

rodrigoamaral
12-10-2010, 02:09 PM
just got my set today, will test it out and let you guys know what i think next week

rodrigoamaral
12-14-2010, 06:28 PM
just strung it up last night... stringing was easier than the blue gear, seems softer to me as well.. will share my thoughts once i get a few hours logged in..

rodrigoamaral
12-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Here is my review:

Stringing: Easier than the regular blue gear as it is softer. Still not as easy as syn guts but not that bad. Took me a few min longer than the typical stringjob.

Spin: Very comparable to Blue Gear. I think this string produces as much spin 10 hours in as it does during the first 1 hour. The original blue gear "ridges" sort of wear off after like 6-7 hours or so.. I'd give it a 9/10

Durability: On about 14 hours and its great so far. Would give it a 9/10

Control: Better than the original as I can actually control my balls. Not as good pinpoint accuracy as regular round strings but still pretty good. 8.5/10

Power: This string has some pop with is and would consider the power level to be average. I'd give it a 8/10

Comfort: This is after all a textured poly but it doesnt play as stiff as some Kirschbaums and Luxilons. I'd give it a 8/10 for comfort and feel

This string is great if you have an aggressive baseline game and not recommended for serve and volleyers. My slice serves out-wide were amazing as I had about 8 aces in my match when I typically average about 2-3.

Overall I'd give this string a 90/100

nvottennis
12-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Here is my review:

Stringing: Easier than the regular blue gear as it is softer. Still not as easy as syn guts but not that bad. Took me a few min longer than the typical stringjob.

Spin: Very comparable to Blue Gear. I think this string produces as much spin 10 hours in as it does during the first 1 hour. The original blue gear "ridges" sort of wear off after like 6-7 hours or so.. I'd give it a 9/10

Control: Better than the original as I can actually control my balls. Not as good pinpoint accuracy as regular round strings but still pretty good. 8.5/10

Power: This string has some pop with is and would consider the power level to be average. I'd give it a 8/10

Comfort: This is after all a textured poly but it doesnt play as stiff as some Kirschbaums and Luxilons. I'd give it a 8/10 for comfort and feel

This string is great if you have an aggressive baseline game and not recommended for serve and volleyers. My slice serves out-wide were amazing as I had about 8 aces in my match when I typically average about 2-3.

Just to clear things up, but youre comparing the original blue gear to barbwire, right? and are you saying that tension wise, the barbwire lasts longer before dieing?

kiteboard
12-19-2010, 07:52 PM
NO way. Bg lasts longer.

nvottennis
12-19-2010, 08:11 PM
NO way. Bg lasts longer.

Kite, just wondering, but did you find the ultra was an overall improvement to the original? or was there something missing in the ultra?

SoCal10s
12-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Here is my review:

so is this better than original ""blue gear"" ?? what's the different ??

rodrigoamaral
12-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Just to clear things up, but youre comparing the original blue gear to barbwire, right? and are you saying that tension wise, the barbwire lasts longer before dieing?

i didnt mention barb wire at all in my review... i was comparing the bg to the bg ultra spin

rodrigoamaral
12-20-2010, 04:00 PM
so is this better than original ""blue gear"" ?? what's the different ??

difference is the ridges dont wear off like the original bg.. its softer and holds tension better

nvottennis
12-20-2010, 04:03 PM
difference is the ridges dont wear off like the original bg.. its softer and holds tension better

opps, sorry. Just the way the logic of the thread when, youd assume that the string in comparison was bg unless otherwise noted.

SO both had the same spin, its just that the ultra lasted longer in maintaining it? hmmm, i might want to try this

kiteboard
12-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Kite, just wondering, but did you find the ultra was an overall improvement to the original? or was there something missing in the ultra?

I hurt my elbow with the bg, so I had little time on the bgu, but I have three sticks strung with var. hybrids of it. Not enough time hitting to judge fairly yet, due to elbow pain.

rodrigoamaral
12-20-2010, 04:58 PM
I hurt my elbow with the bg, so I had little time on the bgu, but I have three sticks strung with var. hybrids of it. Not enough time hitting to judge fairly yet, due to elbow pain.

I thought you hurt your elbow falling off a ladder?

rodrigoamaral
12-20-2010, 04:59 PM
opps, sorry. Just the way the logic of the thread when, youd assume that the string in comparison was bg unless otherwise noted.

SO both had the same spin, its just that the ultra lasted longer in maintaining it? hmmm, i might want to try this

yes, the ultra maintained tension better than the original bg

kiteboard
12-20-2010, 05:15 PM
I thought you hurt your elbow falling off a ladder?

I did, 20' or more, and that started it, and the blue gear ended it. Have not hit since August for more than 1/2hr. at a painful time. Flex bar, ice, beating it with the flex bar, etc.

tennisfreak565
12-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Here is my review:

Nice review, much better than mine lol. Glad someone else agrees with me about bgu.

rodrigoamaral
12-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Nice review, much better than mine lol. Glad someone else agrees with me about bgu.

thanks.. ended up cutting it out at the 17 hr mark... pretty good string all-around

martyr444
01-15-2011, 12:44 PM
I'll definitely take this, and can also straight up trade you a leftover 3/4 reel of Weiscannon Silverstring 1.20mm as well if interested. What's your e-mail address?

Do you still have the 3/4 reel of Weiscannon Silverstring 1.20mm?

JTathlete
05-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Hi everyone,
This board has given me a lot of info so it's time for me to give some back :)
Okay i got Blue Gear Ultra Blue strung at 58 on my Vortex ES 100 and all i can say is WOW!

Spin- Not as good as i had hoped for actually. You would think with all the texture and twisting in this string would give a lot of "effortless" spin but this string does not produce spin for you so you still have to work a little lol but it gives very nice "controllable" spin. I'd say for spin...7/10.

Power- I wasn't expecting it but this string gives some very good pop! The thing i love about it is it's controllable power because of the spin. 8/10

Control- I think BGU really shines hear, i haven't had this much control with any string i don't think. Really good! Pinpoint accuracy, the tennis balls and lines have a magnet on them! Never hit a ball out, just in the net of course. 9/10

Comfort- This string is stiff. I would definetly not call this string comfy! Wrist hurt first 10 minutes or so until i got use to the stiffness. After that no problems though. 5/10

Groundstrokes- Really great! Could hit really hard with it still going in! 9/10

Serves- My favorite thing about this string! Lots of spin on them(especially slice) and could really serve some bombs because of the extra pop! 10/10 easily.

I think i covered everything but feel free to ask questions! Bottom line- You need to try these! Very impressed!

just got a set of these via a string trade here on TT...did you drop any tension when you strung this up? Just curious if it is stiff like other say or its not that bad..

NLBwell
05-08-2011, 11:04 PM

Sounds like you were using the ladder to climb into the neighbor's yard.

rodrigoamaral
05-10-2011, 06:38 PM
just got a set of these via a string trade here on TT...did you drop any tension when you strung this up? Just curious if it is stiff like other say or its not that bad..

when i tried this string, I did not drop any tension... hope this helps..

p.s. it plays softer than the regular blue gear