PDA

View Full Version : String Question

Kuma
12-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Bought a racket and the stringer wants to put poly's on the crosses and syn on the mains. What does this do compared to all syn or poly on the mains and syn on the crosses?

Totai
12-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Having Poly's in the main and syn in the crosses gives you the benefits of poly (spin etc...) and syn in the crosses softens up your stringbed. I don't know what the benefit of having them reversed does. I am curious, why not ask your stringer why he/she wants to do that.

Kuma
12-03-2010, 07:40 AM
I think the stringer said it would provide a little more control - but without more spin which I do not need.

Bedrock
12-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Why do you need poly after all?

Kuma
12-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Recommended by the stringer to provide a little more control without the negative effects of all poly.

coolblue123
12-03-2010, 08:10 AM
i agree with bedrock. The main purpose of using polys on mains is for more frequent string breakers. Although many folks don't realize that alot of polys goes dead pretty quickly.
Got to be a reason why your stringer would recommend putting in crosses, cause it's alot harder to weave crosses with polys. Reasons may be
1) You break only crosses
2) Syn Guts are too soft or want to lower the power on your strings w/o raising tension.

Kuma
12-03-2010, 08:24 AM
i

2)... want to lower the power on your strings w/o raising tension.

Are you also saying that by lowering the power on the strings, control would increase? This would make sense as the desired effect is a little better control.

airman88
12-03-2010, 08:32 AM
I personally don't buy into the fact that if you have control issues switch to poly. It is a specific feel poly gives you that some people prefer, especially those with big topspin and heavy shots. You could increase the tension on synthetic to get more control, but poly just plays completely different and some people like that. I, for one, can't play without it.

monkeyinpodship
12-03-2010, 08:39 AM
I had this same question several months ago, so I decided to email Colin from colinthestringer.com and see what he had to say on the topic. Take what you will from his reply.

"The main difference is that poly in the main strings will give a more solid, but less lively feel, and you will need to generate more power yourself. The mains will, however, last longer.

A multifilament/gut,synthetic gut in the mains will provide a more lively response, and a bit more power. Poly in the crosses will give you more access to spin as well."

thebuffman
12-03-2010, 09:10 AM
poly in the crosses will stiffen the string bed some as poly strings naturally are a stiffer string than the other types of strings. this stiffness will inhibit the trampoline affect of the livelier string types like syn gut/nat gut. the result is better control.

poly in the crosses will also enhance the spin of the ball (if you already know how to produce spin through stroke mechanics). the reason is that poly has a low coefficient of friction. a lcf with the cross string means that the mains will deform and recover more easily. the faster the mains deform and recover at ball contact the more spin it can produce.

coolblue123
12-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Are you also saying that by lowering the power on the strings, control would increase? This would make sense as the desired effect is a little better control.

Not really. To my knowledge, increasing tension will increase control. However, by placing polys in crosses, you might stiffen the stringbed which also increases control as well. If u like to increase control, i would keep whatever setup you have right now, and increase tension. if this is not working out for you, then I would switch to a new setup. Alot of my clients wants me to change their strings just because they want more control. I always tell them that by changing strings, there may change other favorable attributes in their setup. However, by achieving more control, it may affect other variables (i.e. feel, crispness, and etc.)

But then if you are changing just cause you are bored, now that's another story.

Kuma
12-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Not really. To my knowledge, increasing tension will increase control. However, by placing polys in crosses, you might stiffen the stringbed which also increases control as well. If u like to increase control, i would keep whatever setup you have right now, and increase tension. if this is not working out for you, then I would switch to a new setup. Alot of my clients wants me to change their strings just because they want more control. I always tell them that by changing strings, there may change other favorable attributes in their setup. However, by achieving more control, it may affect other variables (i.e. feel, crispness, and etc.)

But then if you are changing just cause you are bored, now that's another story.

I bought a racket so no string setup on it. The demo syn strings were ok, just interested in more control.

Given thebuffman's explanation, the stringers recommendation has some merit albeit somewhat unorthodox.

Bedrock
12-06-2010, 09:26 AM
I bought a racket so no string setup on it. The demo syn strings were ok, just interested in more control.

Given thebuffman's explanation, the stringers recommendation has some merit albeit somewhat unorthodox.

What do you call control?