PDA

View Full Version : String Advice

roddick_rulz
12-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I've been using babolat natural gut on the cross and alu power rough on my mains for quite some time. But now, I'm not willing to spend the extra money for the natural gut. I know that this a popular hybrid and I'm hoping that you guys have made the same switch that I have because I need some suggestions as what to use next. I need to make a wise decision because i break strings every month or two, so I will be stuck with this string(s) for a little while.
Thanks for the help.

pheonix6579
12-03-2010, 04:47 PM
I am hearing GREAT things about the new prince Recoil. I really liked X1 Biphase as well.

ClubHoUno
12-03-2010, 05:22 PM
I've been using babolat natural gut on the cross and alu power rough on my mains for quite some time. But now, I'm not willing to spend the extra money for the natural gut. I know that this a popular hybrid and I'm hoping that you guys have made the same switch that I have because I need some suggestions as what to use next. I need to make a wise decision because i break strings every month or two, so I will be stuck with this string(s) for a little while.
Thanks for the help.

No string will give you the same feel and sensation as VS and Rough will, so prepare yourself for a let down :oops:

But alternatives to the gut could be a good multi like X1, NRG2 and maybe Xcel Power, but they don't feel close to VS natty gut, but they are still the best alternatives.

kiteboard
12-03-2010, 08:04 PM
vs tonic. Nothing will match it.

roddick_rulz
12-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Sorry, I posed the question incorrectly. I know there's nothing like natural gut, and rightly so, based on its price. I meant...did anyone make a good transition into another string altogether after going with my setup? Like going full poly with a certain string and still feeling satisfied.

roddick_rulz
12-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Help Please :)

Carolina Racquet
12-06-2010, 08:18 AM
If you go full poly, you will need to experiment with your tension.

I didn't go from gut/poly to full poly, but I went poly/multi to poly and I found that I had to reduce tension 10 - 15% to get the feel I needed.

I now have gone down all the way to the 30's and I love the feel. It's not for everyone.

To replace the Lux... I have used the Tourna Big Hitter Blue. I understand Big Hitter Blue Rough compares well with Lux Alu Rough... Price is favorable.

Perhaps try a low tension bed of that and you'll might save big $$ and get the feel you desire. What racquet do you use and current tension with VS/Lux?

charliefedererer
12-06-2010, 09:02 AM
I've been using babolat natural gut on the cross and alu power rough on my mains for quite some time. But now, I'm not willing to spend the extra money for the natural gut. I know that this a popular hybrid and I'm hoping that you guys have made the same switch that I have because I need some suggestions as what to use next. I need to make a wise decision because i break strings every month or two, so I will be stuck with this string(s) for a little while.Thanks for the help.

First of all since you are only stringing about 8 times a year, and only use a 1/2 set of Babolat each time you do, are you sure the $160 for gut annually isn't worth it? And if you are going with another quality string, that is going to cost you as well, so you may be saving less than $100/year.

It sounds like you don't think your alu rough "goes dead" before the stings break. So one choice would to be to use extensive string savers in the hitting area to markedly decrease the notching that leads to gut eventually breaking. (Warning: the string savers will change the feel of how the string plays, making it feel somewhat stiffer.)

Have you considered going with a less expensive gut? (In a hybrid another gut is less noticible a change than if you were playing with an all gut set up.) You may want to buy a set (or even just a half set) of Pacific or Klip gut. I ended up really liking the very slightly stiffer feel of Klip Armout Pro, and play with it in a hybrid with alu rough.