PDA

View Full Version : Going from X1 Biphase to Pacific Classic Gut

CrispyFritters
12-04-2010, 08:32 AM
I finally splurged on a set of real gut....not the cheapo Global stuff! Well, it's also not VS, but I had to compromise with my wallet. :)

Picked up some Pacific Classic 16g and I'd like to make sure I don't waste it! Need your suggestions.

Current setup: K90 racket with X1 Mains at 50 pounds. Synthetic gut cross at 50 pounds (Gosen, POSG, whatever I got on hand).

Proposed setup: K90 racket with gut mains 50 pounds. Forten Sweet cross 50 pounds.

I'm NOT trying to achieve the same feel. The 50 pound setup works for me, but gut's supposed to be more powerful and spinny than X1. I want more power and spin. My goal is to "not screw up" my first set up gut.

Do you think I should string at the same tension I use for X1?
Should I use something other than Forten Sweet as the cross?

Thanks

parasailing
12-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Assuming Pacific Gut is like Babolat VS, there is minimal tension loss after that initial 24 hours unlike X1. After the initial tension loss, natural gut keeps it tension until it breaks unlike X1 which I have used quite a bit.

I am actually surprise you could use X1 at 50lbs, I string mine around 55 to 57lbs. I find that after a few hours using X1 or when it starts to fray, tension loss drops even further and it becomes harder to keep the balls in play.

MarrratSafin
12-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Assuming Pacific Gut is like Babolat VS, there is minimal tension loss after that initial 24 hours unlike X1. After the initial tension loss, natural gut keeps it tension until it breaks unlike X1 which I have used quite a bit.

I am actually surprise you could use X1 at 50lbs, I string mine around 55 to 57lbs. I find that after a few hours using X1 or when it starts to fray, tension loss drops even further and it becomes harder to keep the balls in play.

Exactly. But perhaps the OP should still string the Pacific at 52lbs since his regular tension with X-1 is 50lbs. I string X-1 and Pacific Classic both at 60lbs in identical frames. X-1 becomes a trampoline after a period of hitting! I've strung it at 56lbs once and it was simply too loose.

Lambsscroll
12-04-2010, 04:23 PM
String it the same so you have a nice reference. Gut will give you more feel. BTW X-one isn't as meshy as gut which I prefer. Less meshy but less feel. You make the choice.

CrispyFritters
12-04-2010, 04:54 PM

I know what you mean about the X1 becoming somewhat uncontrollable. However, I rarely get to that point, as X1 only lasts 3-10 hours, depending on what cross string I have. It's only that 9th hour+ that's kinda annoying. I just live with it.

So far I'm hearing that I should string it the same...and or string it 2 pounds tighter. If the tension holds better, the it will theoretically be tighter the day after I string it than the X1 was anyway.

Is there any reason to string it 2 pounds tighter right from the get go?

Valjean
12-05-2010, 02:33 AM
....Is there any reason to string it 2 pounds tighter right from the get go?
Since you actually *want* your Pacific Classic to play with more power than the X-1, no...

HitItHarder
12-06-2010, 08:18 AM
While I typically use polys, I occasionally string Pacific Classic Gut 16 in my frames when I have an achy shoulder, especially in cold weather. I also use NRG2 when I don't have the gut in stock (which I think is very close to X-One).

I string the gut at 60lbs (and NRG2 at 60lbs), and the gut is a little more powerful than the NRG2. But I get a little better spin on my balls so the extra power doesn't really cause any control problems.

So I think you are fine stringing them the same. If you have control with X-One at 50lbs, you should be able to play with the Pacific Classic gut at the same tension. Just be careful when you flatten out your shots because the gut will bump the power up some.

JT_2eighty
12-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I would think it is better to use the same cross from one compared setup to the new one with Pacific. Changing both the gut from X1 and the cross from PSG or Gosen to Forten is a lot of variables at once.

Since using only half the gut, try first with same cross as your last X1/syn gut hybrid... then try Forten the next time with the other half of the gut... unless Forten is something you've also used a lot.

And I agree with those saying use the same tension. Pac Classic plays a bit stiffer than VS or Pac Prime, and again, I'm one who prefers to change only 1 variable at a time in order to get a true comparison. Enjoy! Pac Classic is my #1 choice for pure price/performance gut.

Racer41c
12-07-2010, 04:32 PM
I know what you mean about the X1 becoming somewhat uncontrollable. However, I rarely get to that point, as X1 only lasts 3-10 hours, depending on what cross string I have. It's only that 9th hour+ that's kinda annoying. I just live with it.

So far I'm hearing that I should string it the same...and or string it 2 pounds tighter. If the tension holds better, the it will theoretically be tighter the day after I string it than the X1 was anyway.

Is there any reason to string it 2 pounds tighter right from the get go?

I did this recenlty and wound up +2 lbs. But my equation was different. Because gut lasts me much longer, I didn't want to cut it out after the 1st 10 hours. So I have 2 racquets, one fresher/tighter for warm days and one older/looser for cold/night.