PDA

View Full Version : Rpm Blast vs Msv Focus Hex

Mighty Matteo
12-04-2010, 11:00 AM
I have heard the Msv Focus Hex is the generic version of Rpm blast and since it is half the price, i am curious if that is true. Has anyone tried both of these and can compare them for me? Thanks

arche3
12-04-2010, 12:43 PM
not the same. totally different in shape and material it is made of. Feels totally different. I prefer rpm blast

kiteboard
12-04-2010, 12:47 PM
hex, reels of which I had x 3: 1.10mm, 1.18mm. 1.23mm, plays with good spin for a half hour, a little plastic, shear breaks common, 1.10mm prone to tens. loss badly. Rpm feels like a thud, soft, lots of dwell time, good for returns, not serves, for about the same time, as it loses its nubs fast, not as plastic, more like ash. kev.: a soft rope like feel.

joe sch
12-04-2010, 01:50 PM
not the same. totally different in shape and material it is made of. Feels totally different. I prefer rpm blast

Both are Extruded co-polyester monofilament, one is hex the other octagonal in profile. I think for the $$$ if you like these strings, hex is the choice. Plays great and last a long time. Initial breakin does play slightly diff until tension loss sets in, then plays consistent for many matches. I have played on an 20x18 @50lbs and a 16x14 @50 and lasts much longer on the dense patterns, like most any string. Great spin and feel, highly recommend 1.18mm & 1.23mm, I use the 1.23 in the mains to maximize endurance.

dcsrour
12-04-2010, 04:28 PM
I hate to hijack the thread but dont want to start another one, can those of you that have tried blackcode 17 also compare to these two? Thanks in advance. I found msv better than rpm even without taking price into account.

rodrigoamaral
12-04-2010, 06:11 PM
I have heard the Msv Focus Hex is the generic version of Rpm blast and since it is half the price, i am curious if that is true. Has anyone tried both of these and can compare them for me? Thanks

they are not even close to the being the same strings, you actually cant even put them in the same sentence.. one is made in europe, the other in asia.. enough said right there..

kiteboard
12-04-2010, 07:24 PM
I hate to hijack the thread but dont want to start another one, can those of you that have tried blackcode 17 also compare to these two? Thanks in advance. I found msv better than rpm even without taking price into account.

Bc is crisper than either, and better as a cross than either, but less dwell time as the ball leaves the bed a little quicker with bc. Better, more even sweet spot with bc, but not as much spin.

000KFACTOR90000
12-04-2010, 07:59 PM

Msv hex came out years before RPM.

Not a huge fan of RPM - I've got a reel but won't be buying more when it's gone.

DavidNERODease
12-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Yep, totally different string - used them both this summer. The MSV Focus Hex has impressive ball pocketing, spin and control but low power. RPM also has great spin and control but the feel is quite different - firmer and a little crisper. I liked them both but you choose between the two based on your personal preference - can't say one is better than other because they are so different. Hehe one is a lot cheaper though :)

Blade0324
12-05-2010, 03:44 PM
For me no comparison. RPM is head and shoulders above Hex for me. Hex feels cheap and plastic. No real good qualities about it other than it is pretty low powered. RPM seems to grab the string and throw it where you want it to go.

badkitty
12-09-2010, 09:23 PM
The two have a completely different feel. For me RPM blast had better ball pocketing and a softer feel. Felt like I could take a really big cut at the ball with RPM blast the ball would still go in.

Focus HEX had more ball bite but is a bit stiffer/boardy. The edges on the HEX are sharp whereas the edges RPM blast are more rounded.

MSV focus Hex lasted longer than RPM. RPM blast went dead almost immediately. The only way I'd use RPM blast is if I had the time and $$ to restring every week or two.

michaelscoots
12-14-2010, 04:55 PM
I found the RPM blast to be great in a hybrid racquet like Nadal's. However when I tried it in a heavy control oriented racquet like my K90 it was awful! It took all the control characteristics away- I cut it out that night!

Focus Hex worked well in the K90 the touch and control is all still present. So I think it all depends on your racquet, level and swing style.