PDA

View Full Version : Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125 Review

XFactorer
12-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125

Sometimes I try new strings and I just cut them out because they’re not my cup of tea. Other times I just play with them because they don’t bother me. With the Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125 (PTGP125), I had a slightly above-average mild-interest.

One the little graph where the axes determined soft/hard and durability/response, Yonex placed the the string in the hard/durability quadrant. With that being predetermined, I opted to string the PTGP125 at 55 pounds, down from my normal 60 pounds that I use for everything else in my Yonex RDiS 200 (not the lite one). Before we go anything further, I am obligated to disclose that I am under a contract with Yonex -- I buy everything they put out and giggle about it while my wallet quickly empties.

The stringing process for me usual starts with a quick flex of the tangled 40 feet. My sophisticated manual tests indicated that the string was not as firm as I had originally thought, but I still stuck with the 55 pounds. Other strings that seem stiffer include, but are not limited to, 361 Nation, Kirschbaum SuperSmash, Gosen Polylon Ice. Designated “soft polys” on my list are Topspin Concept Pure and Cyber Blue, PolyStar Energy.

Stringing the racquet really was the standard laborious 16 mains, 19 dreadful crosses, which is true for any poly that I have to string. Coil memory was about the same as a Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power. Tying off knots did seem to be a little less easy only because the string would kink on itself. I use the “double loop, pull through technique,” if any of you also refer to it as that.

In one word, performance of the string was “amusing.”

Groundstrokes felt muted with a pop. I can’t tell if the pop came from the lower tension of the string itself. I’m used to the energetic pop from a PolyStar Energy or the controlled pop from a Topspin Concept Pure. The Poly Tour Pro 125 had the power, but lacked a touchy sort of feeling. It had more of the hitting-with-a-board feeling which some people enjoy. I didn’t particularly enjoy nor hate the sensation of the ball flying off the string bed. To each his own.

Volleying is my Achille’s heel. Well, one of my many Achille’s heels. The pop from the string bed did not help my game any. I remember floating a lot of balls long, but, on the positive side, I actually did get a racquet on the ball and got the ball over the net. So no complaining from me. But I can’t add much more to this area.

Serving with the strings seemed pretty bland. Nothing stood out, nothing irked me except my bum shoulder. But that isn’t a string issue.

Having played a week with the string, the tension remains just fine. Nothing feels to be loosening up nor do I have the “dead” feeling as I do around the one-week mark with PolyStar Energy. Perhaps my favorite aspect of the string is the color which Yonex rightfully calls Optic Yellow. Indoors the string is bright and noticeable. But in outdoor lighting, the color pops vibrantly. Stencil on a Yonex logo and I feel like it’s cosmetically delightful.

At $9 a pop, I really can't complain about this string. The performance is nothing to scoff at but also nothing special. Yes, the dullness of the power is something I have not encountered. And, yes, I’m intrigued. I do plan on trying some more out in the future with different hybrid set ups (plan on trying PTGP125 mains with Cyber Blue crosses, Concept Pure Crosses, maybe 361 Nation crosses. Also Cyber Blue, PolyStart Energy mains with PTGP125 crosses).

As TW says after every racquet review, “we recommend you demo this one.”

XFactorer
12-05-2010, 12:08 AM
This one's for you, Buckethead (and TW Community).

Supplementary info:

I'm a 4.0 player at heart but USTA bumped me to 4.5.
Playing style - Baseliner trying to learn to volley.
Semi-western grip, stronger on BH side.

Buckethead
12-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Thanks Xfactorer.
What about the spin production?

XFactorer
12-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't believe strings have much of an affect on spin, thus I don't say "Oh, I can spin things in with this string!" because I can "spin" things in with any string. My view is that spin comes from the user and not the string.

1st Seed
12-05-2010, 01:54 PM
I have a few packs in storage im gonna use as a cross with Tonic mains in my Redondo Mid.Like X said 8 bones a pack for sure worth a try Yonex really pumps out quality IMO.On the packing X did you notice they mentioned it was still surpressing to the joints?.How soft did it play?You also mentioned a muted feel did it play like a dampned string bed, ala Rip control?I hoping its plays like a softer Alu P 125.WHat are you stringing on?How stretchy was it during stringing?
Eh thanks for that review now im itchin to test.There must be no mistaken this string when you see it.Really glows.All my Maria lovers will know instantly at my club.AH Maria!
Take Care.

XFactorer
12-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I have a few packs in storage im gonna use as a cross with Tonic mains in my Redondo Mid.Like X said 8 bones a pack for sure worth a try Yonex really pumps out quality IMO.On the packing X did you notice they mentioned it was still surpressing to the joints?.How soft did it play?You also mentioned a muted feel did it play like a dampned string bed, ala Rip control?I hoping its plays like a softer Alu P 125.WHat are you stringing on?How stretchy was it during stringing?
Eh thanks for that review now im itchin to test.There must be no mistaken this string when you see it.Really glows.All my Maria lovers will know instantly at my club.AH Maria!
Take Care.

Not that stretchy. Strung on a Game X-6 or something like that (not my stringer) with crank.

Played soft enough for my tastes, probably just slightly more stiff than a nice fresh bed of ALU Power, but not significantly more. I've actually never played ALU Power in my 200, but it was my go-to string in my RQiS 1 Tour. I'd done M2 Pro in the 200 but I don't remember really how that played compared to the PTGP125.

It's by no means a soft poly. But it didn't really feel like a board like some polys can (Kirschbaum, Gosen strings that I mentioned in my review). I don't have tennis elbow right now because of it.

Preston
12-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Not that stretchy. Strung on a Game X-6 or something like that (not my stringer) with crank.

Played soft enough for my tastes, probably just slightly more stiff than a nice fresh bed of ALU Power, but not significantly more. I've actually never played ALU Power in my 200, but it was my go-to string in my RQiS 1 Tour. I'd done M2 Pro in the 200 but I don't remember really how that played compared to the PTGP125.

It's by no means a soft poly. But it didn't really feel like a board like some polys can (Kirschbaum, Gosen strings that I mentioned in my review). I don't have tennis elbow right now because of it.

Thanks for the review. You make the string sound just okay, so I probably won't try it.

You strung it on the Gamma X-ST. :)

XFactorer
12-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the review. You make the string sound just okay, so I probably won't try it.

You strung it on the Gamma X-ST. :)

The string is what is it. It's just "OK." But it's OK-enough that I want to try more.

coolblue123
12-07-2010, 10:57 AM
I hope Poly 125 is not the same as Tough Brid (TB). Playing with TB was like hitting with a washboard! The only feel in them strings were the pain in my elbow.

XFactorer
12-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I hope Poly 125 is not the same as Tough Brid (TB). Playing with TB was like hitting with a washboard! The only feel in them strings were the pain in my elbow.

Most likely not. It's on the softer side of hard... if that means anything to you.

Tennis_Crazed
12-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Hows the durability on the string? I've had lots of issues with Yonex strings breaking very quickly. If you could compare durability against something more well known. Thanks

XFactorer
12-10-2010, 12:29 AM
I didn't break it in my 1 week with the string. It wasn't even close to breaking, either. Notched, yes, but not significantly.

Torres
06-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Yonex Poly Tour Pro (RSI):

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2011/04/playtest_yonex_poly_tour_pro_1.html

Price is very good. Color is amazing.

mikeler
06-15-2012, 04:55 PM

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2011/04/playtest_yonex_poly_tour_pro_1.html

A friend of mine just had his Exo Tour strung up with it this morning. I bounced a few balls off it and thought it was a multi. He said it was full poly strung at 45. I know the Exo Tour is the holy grail of arm friendly rackets so maybe that had something to do with it.

finalfantasy7
06-15-2012, 05:09 PM
good read, wated to know about this string, on stringforum its got very good all rounds stats

what other string would you compare this to?

Torres
06-16-2012, 10:00 AM
A friend of mine just had his Exo Tour strung up with it this morning. I bounced a few balls off it and thought it was a multi. He said it was full poly strung at 45. I know the Exo Tour is the holy grail of arm friendly rackets so maybe that had something to do with it.

RSI say that the 16 gauge has a stiffness rating of 216 at their standard 60lbs testing tension. That stiffness is 10% less than 17 gauge BHBR which I consider to be a pretty comfortable, springy poly, particularly in 17 gauge. At your friend's 45lbs for the Yonex, stiffness is going to be even lower, so it all sounds good from an arm point of view.

I've just ordered a reel (love the crazy color), along with a reel of Genesis Black Magic. Have ordered completely 'blind' without playing with either of them, but in reel form, they seem too good value to pass up.

TenFanLA
06-22-2012, 03:00 PM
RSI say that the 16 gauge has a stiffness rating of 216 at their standard 60lbs testing tension. That stiffness is 10% less than 17 gauge BHBR which I consider to be a pretty comfortable, springy poly, particularly in 17 gauge. At your friend's 45lbs for the Yonex, stiffness is going to be even lower, so it all sounds good from an arm point of view.

I've just ordered a reel (love the crazy color), along with a reel of Genesis Black Magic. Have ordered completely 'blind' without playing with either of them, but in reel form, they seem too good value to pass up.

Have you hit with this yet? It has shot up to the top of the overall chart on stringforum.net which is hit and miss. Also how do you get a reel in US?

chaddles
06-24-2012, 02:31 AM
The Pro & the HS are 2 of the best strings released in the last couple of years. The feel for a poly is brilliant, and just does everything really well. Gave it a good run today in a BLX Blade 98 and forgot the great comfort & nice power it gives, especially when you really rip into a top spin down the line shot.

The main difference I found between the HS & Pro was the HS was a slightly firmer feeling string but played pretty similar.

syke
06-24-2012, 02:41 AM
Yes the Pro is soft and great for the arm. Tension maintenance is pretty good as well. The highlight of this string is the bright yellow color, simply awesome.

My favourite string in this price range is still the Yonex PolyTour Spin. Beats all the different MSV CoF strings I have tried, with the exception of the smooth coating and possibly tension maintenance.

YesTennis
06-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Do you think it's soft enough to use full bed or would it be best to hybrid? I'm looking to use a soft poly/co-poly for the first time, but don't want to develop elbow problems.

TenFanLA
06-24-2012, 07:04 AM
The Pro & the HS are 2 of the best strings released in the last couple of years. The feel for a poly is brilliant, and just does everything really well. Gave it a good run today in a BLX Blade 98 and forgot the great comfort & nice power it gives, especially when you really rip into a top spin down the line shot.

The main difference I found between the HS & Pro was the HS was a slightly firmer feeling string but played pretty similar.

Yes the Pro is soft and great for the arm. Tension maintenance is pretty good as well. The highlight of this string is the bright yellow color, simply awesome.

My favourite string in this price range is still the Yonex PolyTour Spin. Beats all the different MSV CoF strings I have tried, with the exception of the smooth coating and possibly tension maintenance.

If YPTP is so good, how come all the rage now and not 2 years ago when it came out? The stringforum.net and TW customers' reviews are very favorable overall. Yet I (and I assume most of the tennis community) didn't really know about this supposedly great string until Torres came back from exile and talked about it. I've ordered 2 sets from TW to see for myself. I'm just looking for an ALU, Ltec replacement that is easy on the arm. I'm hoping YPTP is the one.

Torres
06-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Nobody's suggested that its a 'great string' or that its 'all the rage'.

It's a fluorescent yellow poly.

syke
06-24-2012, 08:14 AM
If YPTP is so good, how come all the rage now and not 2 years ago when it came out? The stringforum.net and TW customers' reviews are very favorable overall. Yet I (and I assume most of the tennis community) didn't really know about this supposedly great string until Torres came back from exile and talked about it. I've ordered 2 sets from TW to see for myself. I'm just looking for an ALU, Ltec replacement that is easy on the arm. I'm hoping YPTP is the one.

It could be that Yonex aren't known for their strings.
Besides our benchmarks for comparison could be different.

String A might be the softest and most arm arm friendly amongst the selected few I have played, but for you it could only be average.

Our preference and how we perceive the playability of each string varies as well.
A muted string might be viewed as soft, while a lively string as harsh.

The YPTP compared to the ALU is definitely more friendly to the arm. But is that difference sufficient in your situation? $8.95 is just a little more than a Big Mac meal, only you will know best. Buy one, try it out. Don't like it, cut it out. I do that all the time.

TenFanLA
06-24-2012, 08:16 AM

Well, I'm dramatizing it a bit. But I'm surprised YPTP wasn't talked about more on TT, seeing the favorable experiences its users had. Perhaps it's because Yonex is not that well known as far as strings go. I've seen and heard that Yonex makes high quality rackets and shoes, but nothing about strings. I'm hoping their strings are high quality also.

syke
06-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Do you think it's soft enough to use full bed or would it be best to hybrid? I'm looking to use a soft poly/co-poly for the first time, but don't want to develop elbow problems.

I had arm problems playing with both MSV CoF & Hex in full bed, if you didn't get any on those, it's highly unlikely you get any with the YPTP.

syke
06-24-2012, 08:24 AM

Yes, the fluorescent yellow is all the reason I need to buy this string.

It's blinding my opponents! The ball camouflages with stringbed, they can't tell where it's heading.

Bartelby
06-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Some people like to point out in others the faults they themselves possess.

Well, I'm dramatizing it a bit. But I'm surprised YPTP wasn't talked about more on TT, seeing the favorable experiences its users had. Perhaps it's because Yonex is not that well known as far as strings go. I've seen and heard that Yonex makes high quality rackets and shoes, but nothing about strings. I'm hoping their strings are high quality also.

heartattack
06-24-2012, 08:49 AM

It's blinding my opponents! The ball camouflages with stringbed, they can't tell where it's heading.

Good point. how does it compare to silverstring (full bed)?

Torres
06-24-2012, 08:52 AM

Exactly! If it wasn't for the fact that the shop was out of 16g, I would have gone for that because the thickness would have blocked out more of the background for my opponents and offered even more disguise of the ball against the strings. That fluorescent yellow has alot of hidden advantages. I'm going to email Yonex to see if they do a 15g for even more disguise. That coupled with the cheap reel price and the fact that I needed something to contrast Bartelby's black and blue RF outfit, headband, shoes and socks and it was a no brainer!

Good point. how does it compare to silverstring (full bed)?

Wasn't bad but only seemed to work with silver balls.

TenFanLA
06-24-2012, 08:57 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking. Now I just need to find neon yellow shirt (worn by Berdych), shorts, socks, shoes, headband, wristband, etc. My opponents will see 6 balls coming from different directions and will have to pick the right one.

syke
06-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Exactly! If it wasn't for the fact that the shop was out of 16g, I would have gone for that because the thickness would have blocked out more of the background for my opponents and offered even more disguise of the ball against the strings. That fluorescent yellow has alot of hidden advantages. I'm going to email Yonex to see if they do a 15g for even more disguise. That coupled with the cheap reel price and the fact that I needed something to contrast Bartelby's black and blue RF outfit, headband, shoes and socks and it was a no brainer!

Wasn't bad but only seemed to work with silver balls.

I was playing with a buddy of mine just yesterday, loan him my racquet strung with the YPTP. Got a real taste of my own medicine.

Eveytime he hits the ball, there's a spilt second I couldn't tell where the ball is.
These strings are like cheating..

Just this advantage alone, outweighs all the negativity this string might have. And it's such an affordable string.

Power Player
06-25-2012, 07:22 AM
I may give this string a run if it stands out to you guys as anything special. My 3rd stick is kind of my string experiment racquet. I currently have a kevlar hybrid in there that plays prety well.

Just a different launch off the bed compared to my gut poly setup, so it is a little tough to adjust to.

Uvijek Argen
06-25-2012, 08:01 AM
I may give this string a run if it stands out to you guys as anything special. My 3rd stick is kind of my string experiment racquet. I currently have a kevlar hybrid in there that plays prety well.

Just a different launch off the bed compared to my gut poly setup, so it is a little tough to adjust to.

I will tell you PP to not waste your money on it. It just an "alright" poly string. Bought it to test it with the Yonex Xi 98 (strung at 47) and while it was soft, I didnt found good control like BHBR, Typhoon or Mosquito Bite to mention a few.
I did bought the new Black version and not the yellow the guys have mention.
The blue "spin version" gave me shoulder pain in one hour session(i never have shoulder pain) and that was in the crosses with one set of Mamba gut (i have left) in the mains. Once again this was in the Xi 98.

PS. I almost couldn't string the mamba gut in the mains...too thick, almost break the grommets.

Power Player
06-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Ok cool I will pass then. I don't like Mamba gut at all, shredded when I strung one piece and you can't string it over 56#s..I like my gut at 62#s, so I stick with Pacific.

Torres
06-25-2012, 02:03 PM
I will tell you PP to not waste your money on it.

Many other people seem to like it. Also I'm sure that Kirilenko and Berankis aren't using it just they don't have to pay for it.

It also comes with a free levitation voucher.

http://www.mariakirilenko.com/wp-content/gallery/miami-march-2012/372874c5ba85bb3a151563ca3c4dde4b-getty-1422879881.jpg

TenFanLA
06-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Torres, when you going to put up your review of YPTP, even a short, 1st hit impression?

Uvijek Argen
06-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Many other people seem to like it. Also I'm sure that Kirilenko and Berankis aren't using it just they don't have to pay for it.

It also comes with a free levitation voucher.

Arent you the kook banned that praise BHBR and Scorpion?, yet no pro use it. But now Kirilenko use Yonex pro tour and now means something? Get lost!!

I swear mate, I have my doubt that you are even a decent player. Usually the quiet ones are. Got to learn to be more humble.

If you want to keep it simple, just dont quote me and neither get in my conversation, tired of your posts.

Torres
06-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Unfortunately, the only thing 'kooky' are your views and your irrational hypersensitivity. You repeatedly describe BHBR as a control string and Alu as a power string. Most people will say that you've got that back to front and completely wrong.
So in terms of credibility of opinion, your credibility is pretty low. You don't have any oil paintings at home do you?

syke
06-26-2012, 12:06 AM
I will tell you PP to not waste your money on it. It just an "alright" poly string. Bought it to test it with the Yonex Xi 98 (strung at 47) and while it was soft, I didnt found good control like BHBR, Typhoon or Mosquito Bite to mention a few.
I did bought the new Black version and not the yellow the guys have mention.
The blue "spin version" gave me shoulder pain in one hour session(i never have shoulder pain) and that was in the crosses with one set of Mamba gut (i have left) in the mains. Once again this was in the Xi 98.

PS. I almost couldn't string the mamba gut in the mains...too thick, almost break the grommets.

You proved my earlier point. You have try it to know it.
The blue "spin version" never gave me any arm, elbow or shoulder problems.
But the MSV strings did, despite being touted as soft.

Strings are a personal thing. At this price range, those blue "spin version" are the best I have tried.

syke
06-26-2012, 12:09 AM
You don't have any oil paintings at home do you?

Or blue straws.. :)

Uvijek Argen
06-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Unfortunately, the only thing 'kooky' are your views and your irrational hypersensitivity. You repeatedly describe BHBR as a control string and Alu as a power string. Most people will say that you've got that back to front and completely wrong.
So in terms of credibility of opinion, your credibility is pretty low. You don't have any oil paintings at home do you?

Took you long to reply for a person that is 24-7 in this forum...your come back shoulds be " the jerk store called...they run out of you"....that will make it more laughable.:)
"Hypersensitive" hahahahaha!! Please mate im not the one going at it to anybody that have a different point of view. Grow up.

BHBR IS a control oriented string. Still think that you have to be so mediocre on court and come here to elevate your ego.

Shhhhhh Milosh!!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uz9244jrQZk/TxYGHWR9D6I/AAAAAAAAAH4/ILYC9gwcyL0/s1600/18061seinfeld0001.jpg

Torres
06-26-2012, 04:30 AM
BHBR is a lively, elastic, spin orientated type of poly with a good amount of power. Control isn't its #1 characteristic.

Lux Alu is a control orientated poly. It's stiff, its crisp, its directionally very precise. Control is its forte. Certainly, for the 2 hitting sessions or so that it lasts before going dead.

Do you really think that ATP pros with the power that they can generate, and with SWs in the 350s and 360s, need a super powerful, elastic poly, and choose Alu because they need extra power?

Uvijek Argen
06-26-2012, 04:44 AM
You proved my earlier point. You have try it to know it.
The blue "spin version" never gave me any arm, elbow or shoulder problems.
But the MSV strings did, despite being touted as soft.

Strings are a personal thing. At this price range, those blue "spin version" are the best I have tried.

Yes string are a personal thing, I do agree on that. What you dont know is that Im in central florida, I know PP. Know his style of game, and can chime in what might work for him or not.

I dont know how you play or whats your playing style, you could be a 4.0(nothing wrong with that) and have semi developed strokes that wont do any harm doesnt matter what string or tension you do. Right?

Uvijek Argen
06-26-2012, 04:49 AM
BHBR is a lively, elastic, spin orientated type of poly with a good amount of power. Control isn't its #1 characteristic.

Lux Alu is a control orientated poly. It's stiff, its crisp, its directionally very precise. Control is its forte. Certainly, for the 2 hitting sessions or so that it lasts before going dead.

Do you really think that ATP pros with the power that they can generate, and with SWs in the 350s and 360s, need a super powerful, elastic poly, and choose Alu because they need extra power?

I said SSSHHHH MILOSH...go and play with you balls....tennis balls that is...:)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uz9244jrQZk/TxYGHWR9D6I/AAAAAAAAAH4/ILYC9gwcyL0/s1600/18061seinfeld0001.jpg

Torres
06-26-2012, 05:15 AM
All your retorts do is just show just how little credibility and knowledge you have about strings, and how hyper sensitive you get when you get things wrong.

Power Player
06-26-2012, 05:17 AM
UA at some point this weather will finally end and we can hit. I am pretty much locked and loaded with the gut/poly. I have been using it for months and nothing really beats it. I like to check out other offerings, but full poly and I may be done for good. gut/poly has so much more versatility to it.

mikeler
06-26-2012, 05:37 AM
UA at some point this weather will finally end and we can hit. I am pretty much locked and loaded with the gut/poly. I have been using it for months and nothing really beats it. I like to check out other offerings, but full poly and I may be done for good. gut/poly has so much more versatility to it.

UA, did you try the trigger point stuff for your elbow?

syke
06-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Yes string are a personal thing, I do agree on that. What you dont know is that Im in central florida, I know PP. Know his style of game, and can chime in what might work for him or not.

I dont know how you play or whats your playing style, you could be a 4.0(nothing wrong with that) and have semi developed strokes that wont do any harm doesnt matter what string or tension you do. Right?

True, you would definitely make a better judgement since you know PP in person.

We use a different rating over here so I am not entirely sure how that works out. Loosely basing on some my hitting partners who have a NTRP of 4.0. So I guess somewhere around that figure.

Funny, I have always thought people with semi developed strokes are more prone to injuries.

tistrapukcipeht
06-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Arent you the kook banned that praise BHBR and Scorpion?, yet no pro use it. But now Kirilenko use Yonex pro tour and now means something? Get lost!!

I swear mate, I have my doubt that you are even a decent player. Usually the quiet ones are. Got to learn to be more humble.

If you want to keep it simple, just dont quote me and neither get in my conversation, tired of your posts.

1- So you think what you have to say is more important than Kirilenko using??

2- You may know anybody, but players are different, different racquets, different way to hit the ball, different technique etc...

3- You are wrong here. If anything the guys with worse technique will suffer more, no wonder why poly strings are only recommended for high level players with fast racquet head speed. What is your level anyway? 6.0?

Uvijek Argen
06-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Sure PP, we keep the head up to see when we can hit.:)
Since I have the IG Rad Pro is so soft and flex I dont need to do full gut jobs and I being stringing with Wilson gut/Genesis Typhoon myself.

UA, did you try the trigger point stuff for your elbow?
Hey Mike, I read it but I never put it to practice since I wasn't playing anyhow. Im pretty much 90% heal, playing twice a week pain free, but I thank so much for sending it and your good words.

TenFanLA
06-26-2012, 02:39 PM
I just received YPTP and strung it up. Pretty easy to string. It has a matte finish instead of the typical shiny poly coating. Almost like a syn gut, but doesn't stretch nearly as much. Weighs about the same as a standard poly. YPTP seems like it's a little thicker than 1.25, maybe 1.27? Bouncing the ball off the stringbed at 45lbs feels soft yet crisp, similar to 55lb PSGD stringbed.

Caveat: When stringing YPTP, make sure you wear sunglasses or better yet, welding helmet. Even then make sure you don't stare directly into the stringbed. YPTP is THAT bright. Hopefully I can hit with this within the next 2 or 3 days. My guess is that YPTP is on the very soft, arm friendly range for a poly. Hopefully it has the spin and control of a poly. Good tension maintenance would be an added bonus.

Torres
06-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Bouncing the ball off the stringbed at 45lbs

Can't remember what racquet you have and whether that's on a crank, but I suspect that that is going to way too low......

TenFanLA
06-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Can't remember what racquet you have and whether that's on a crank, but I suspect that that is going to way too low......

Microgel Radical Pro 16x19, Klippermate dropweight CP at 45lbs full bed YPTP. LTec and Iontec Black at 44-45lbs were perfect for me. If I find it to be too low, I'll go to 50 and adjust accordingly.

syke
06-26-2012, 07:18 PM
I just received YPTP and strung it up. Pretty easy to string. It has a matte finish instead of the typical shiny poly coating. Almost like a syn gut, but doesn't stretch nearly as much. Weighs about the same as a standard poly. YPTP seems like it's a little thicker than 1.25, maybe 1.27? Bouncing the ball off the stringbed at 45lbs feels soft yet crisp, similar to 55lb PSGD stringbed.

Caveat: When stringing YPTP, make sure you wear sunglasses or better yet, welding helmet. Even then make sure you don't stare directly into the stringbed. YPTP is THAT bright. Hopefully I can hit with this within the next 2 or 3 days. My guess is that YPTP is on the very soft, arm friendly range for a poly. Hopefully it has the spin and control of a poly. Good tension maintenance would be an added bonus.

At 53/50lbs, it feels soft enough for me. Hopefully it works out well for you at 45lbs.

Tension maintenance is above average. I have been monitoring with the racquetune app, so I would say SPPP and MSV are better in that department.

YPTP will never be the best poly string ever known to man. But just the color alone, it is good enough a reason to stock up on them. If they came in shinny silicone coated fluorescent yellow, that would be a bloody ripper.

Nostradamus
06-26-2012, 07:26 PM
which is more powerful ? this string or poly tour spin ?

syke
06-26-2012, 08:18 PM

I would say YPTP based on feel. I have them strung on 2 different racquets so take it with a pinch of salt.

Tistra, would probably answer your question better. Seems like he has play tested the entire Yonex range. :)

Torres
06-26-2012, 09:53 PM

Fedace, don't start that nonsense again. At least with a new username and new picture, do try and turn over a new leaf.

TenFanLA
06-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Fedace, don't start that nonsense again. At least with a new username and new picture, do try and turn over a new leaf.

Well, at least it's better than, "How does YPTP compare to RPM?" :mad: :)

Power Player
06-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Well, at least it's better than, "How does YPTP compare to RPM?" :mad: :)

He was doing that earlier with this current screen name, which just shows the level of intellect we are dealing with.

TenFanLA
06-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Played 3 hours of doubles tonight; 1 hour each with YPTP, 0s/4s and vs team og/4s. YPTP feels comfortable for a poly but you can still feel that it's a full bed poly. The spin, control and power were good. The feel is WEIRD. It feels like the whole stringbed makes a pinging sound as if there is no sweetspot. I have a hard enough time hitting the ball on the sweetspot as it is. I need the forgiving feel of gut/poly to compensate for my lack of hand/eye coordination, not make me feel I'm mishitting the ball more than I actually am.

For $9 YPTP is a good poly but not a special poly like ALU, Ltec and RPM. I would still take Iontec Black over YPTP at this price range. I think I'm done with full poly for a while. My arm gets too fatigued and sore after an hour or 2. I almost wince when I have to serve after 2 hours. I'm going to try Tonic BF BT7/4s at 50/50 (like the movie.) Tonic BT7 is SO STIFF at 55, I don't know if 52 or 53 is going to soften it up much. So I'm going straight to 50. Hope I don't waste a 1/2 set of gut.

syke
06-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Played 3 hours of doubles tonight; 1 hour each with YPTP, 0s/4s and vs team og/4s. YPTP feels comfortable for a poly but you can still feel that it's a full bed poly. The spin, control and power were good. The feel is WEIRD. It feels like the whole stringbed makes a pinging sound as if there is no sweetspot. I have a hard enough time hitting the ball on the sweetspot as it is. I need the forgiving feel of gut/poly to compensate for my lack of hand/eye coordination, not make me feel I'm mishitting the ball more than I actually am.

For $9 YPTP is a good poly but not a special poly like ALU, Ltec and RPM. I would still take Iontec Black over YPTP at this price range. I think I'm done with full poly for a while. My arm gets too fatigued and sore after an hour or 2. I almost wince when I have to serve after 2 hours. I'm going to try Tonic BF BT7/4s at 50/50 (like the movie.) Tonic BT7 is SO STIFF at 55, I don't know if 52 or 53 is going to soften it up much. So I'm going straight to 50. Hope I don't waste a 1/2 set of gut.

Similar sentiments. What's great about this string is the color. And for 9 dollars a set, why not?

javierjavier
06-29-2012, 09:16 AM
i've had a chance to try the string for about a week now, and thought i'd share some thoughts;

racquet: yonex 97 tour
tension: 50 lbs, full bed
playing time: approx 6 hrs

the string has a lot of pop and plays crisp. it doesn't pocket the ball as well as other "soft" polys i've used, and as a result i can see where xfactor felt it was muted and tenfan said he had a hard time finding the sweetspot.

that said, i actually really liked the setup. it really helped add some crispness to the 97 tour and made the racket more forgiving than it already is. given it's such a lively and crisp feeling string compared to my previous setups i did struggle a bit to find my range on touch shots, volleys, and spin serves. nothing more time with the setup can't fix though.

it's probably best for a player using a player's type racquet and is looking for a little more pop and a more forgiving setup. definitely leans towards the baseline player who relies more on power and spin vs. one who likes to paint the lines. those who play a crafty game and rely on touch will probably not get enough feel from the strings. it might be a string to consider for those poly users who like really low tensions.

regarding string life... after 6 hrs of some pretty hard hitting it's really hard for me to gauge tension loss given how much pop the string had when originally strung. obviously there's been some tension loss, but i feel i'm getting about the same output when freshly strung. it still has a lot of pop and feels crisp, but i have noticed some of the crispness is gone. not sure if that's me getting used to the string or the string starting to go dead... probably a little bit of both.

hope that helps anyone thinking about giving it a go... i'd love to hear how the poly tour spin compares. not so much concerned about spin, rather does it have the same playability with the only diff being shape?

Torres
07-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Watching the Kirilenko v Radwanska match, I have to say that these strings do look amazing in Kirilenko's racquet. You can see the Yonex logo set against the fluorescent yellow strings all the way from the moon. The other string manufacturers seem to have a missed a trick here in terms of promoting their logo.

XFactorer
07-03-2012, 06:38 PM
i've had a chance to try the string for about a week now, and thought i'd share some thoughts;

racquet: yonex 97 tour
tension: 50 lbs, full bed
playing time: approx 6 hrs

the string has a lot of pop and plays crisp. it doesn't pocket the ball as well as other "soft" polys i've used, and as a result i can see where xfactor felt it was muted and tenfan said he had a hard time finding the sweetspot.

that said, i actually really liked the setup. it really helped add some crispness to the 97 tour and made the racket more forgiving than it already is. given it's such a lively and crisp feeling string compared to my previous setups i did struggle a bit to find my range on touch shots, volleys, and spin serves. nothing more time with the setup can't fix though.

it's probably best for a player using a player's type racquet and is looking for a little more pop and a more forgiving setup. definitely leans towards the baseline player who relies more on power and spin vs. one who likes to paint the lines. those who play a crafty game and rely on touch will probably not get enough feel from the strings. it might be a string to consider for those poly users who like really low tensions.

regarding string life... after 6 hrs of some pretty hard hitting it's really hard for me to gauge tension loss given how much pop the string had when originally strung. obviously there's been some tension loss, but i feel i'm getting about the same output when freshly strung. it still has a lot of pop and feels crisp, but i have noticed some of the crispness is gone. not sure if that's me getting used to the string or the string starting to go dead... probably a little bit of both.

hope that helps anyone thinking about giving it a go... i'd love to hear how the poly tour spin compares. not so much concerned about spin, rather does it have the same playability with the only diff being shape?

Now try some PolyTour Spin... I like that string much more.

heartattack
07-13-2012, 12:11 PM
this is a nice string. not pingy to me! i guess you strung it too low @ 45. this is a soft string @ 186lbs per sq. inch.

Torres
08-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Well, I finally managed to string up a racquet with this string. On first impressions (2 hours of hitting), I like it. Sends like a nice string.

It initially starts off a little bit stiff and very slightly tinny but it settles down after about 15-30 mins of hitting.

The main characteristic that comes across is that it is a very consistent and predictable in the way that it performs. It's not over powered nor underpowerded, its not super stiff nor super elastic. It doesn't add any one particular characteristic to the way that you hit the ball, but sometimes that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's control orientated and predictable. You get out exactly what you put in. I can see why pros play with this sting.

It's not the most feel orientated string - I never particularly wanted to play a drop shot with it for example because there's not a huge amount of 'give' to it and there's not as much feedback compared to something like Dunlop Black Widow (a great feeling poly) so I can understand why some may describe it as muted, but in terms of feel/feedback its passable. Very slight hint of tinniness to it but it feels better the harder you hit the ball. Absolute bargain in reel form - I could get 3 reels of this for the price of 1 reel of Lux Alu for example.

Overall, based on first impressions, I quite like it. Predictable, consistent, control orietntated, a 'you get out what you put in' type of poly. The ball comes off the stringbed very consistently.

Need to get some more hours on it and string in my normal racquet (Wilson BLX Juice Pro) but it seems promising.

(17 gauge / Strung at 53lbs CP in a Wilson BLX 6.1 95 Team 18x20 with lead)

Power Player
08-27-2012, 08:39 AM
How are you guys liking this string? I have been playing well and pain free with full poly at 40#s and just need to find the right one. I may already have with the softer and plush feel of SPPP, but I am looking for similar options. I want pocketing, control and would like to get 8-10 of play out of the setup.

Nostradamus
08-27-2012, 08:44 AM
I prefer the Poly tour spin to this string. this one just doesn't have the spin production i am looking for.

edwincen
08-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Tried YPTP as cross and OGSM at main, really love it, it just nice especially for the price. I think its much better than adrenaline.

GarryClarke
08-27-2012, 10:43 AM
ive logged on about 4 hours so far and the string @ 52/50 has got better and better!!!!
after coming from yonex poly tour spin which is low powered but loads of spin i was hitting it long long long,but after a 2 hour hitting session just using this string i was hitting my FH flat/spin harder than ive ever hit before,coincidence maybe but my 1st outing with this string i found it too poweful and not much control but remember i came from using a full bed of YPTS

as already said "above" it had a tinny sound to it and i lost my vibration dampner which just made it sound even worse,no vibration through my arm but just tinny sounding from ball on strings.

my B/H volleys were hard low and deep and consistantly hit a foot inside the baseline from any angle of the court and my hitting partner had trouble getting them back as they stayed so low,he also said he has never seen me hit such hard low B/H volleys!!!!!!

dropshots were very hit and miss and most of them just went up in the air and were sitting ducks to be put away,i put that down to me as YPTS kept them so so low and it always killed the point.

comfort wise-well its far the best string ive tried to date and is alot softer than a full bed of YPTS and even that isnt what i call harsh.

ben123
08-27-2012, 01:01 PM
I prefer the Poly tour spin to this string. this one just doesn't have the spin production i am looking for.

really? how does it compare to rpm blast strings??? does it have more spin than rpm and how about the power????????????? :confused:

Torres
08-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Gratuitous string shot.

Torres
08-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Well, I strung this up in a different racquet this time (Wilson Juice Pro 96/16x20) at 52lbs CP.

My views remain the same as before. It's a (quite) good string.

Control orientated, consistent, predictable. It 'just works'. You get out exactly what you put in, with the string lending precision and control.

+ Comfortable
+ Neither overpowered or underpowered
+ Control orientated
+ Consistent, reliable response off the stringbed
+ Good price
+/- Not really a 'pockety' sort of string (well, not at the 52lbs I tried) but there is a nice, instant, 'repulsion' of the ball off the stringbed
- Not a super 'grabby' spin string but there's enough spin to be getting by
- Feel is slightly muted but you get used to it as you learn to trust the string's control

A word about 'feel'. A couple of people have suggested it has no feel. It's true that there's not a huge amount of feedback. The string feels better the harder you hit through the strings. The string is actually very comfortable but doesnt have much 'give' to it. It's an odd sensation. If you're prepared to crank the ball, it does seem to lack feel. The issue here I think is that the string feels like it has a harder outer shell (which it doesn't - just occasionally feels like it does) so for delicate touch shots you don't get the 'give' and softness that you might get with a softer poly. But the thing is, you just have to sort of trust the string to do what you want it to do when playing anything delicate. Its such a surprisingly control orientated string that if you play a delicate drop shot, with the right technique, that's the shot that you will execute. It obeys on command, even though it doesn't provide a huge amount of feedback when doing so. I can understand by its limited feel might be a bit disconcerting, but it does feel slightly better the harder you hit the ball and rather oddly, if you won't string it at too low a tension.

A very different type of string to say BHBR, but I quite like it so far. Anyone liking strings like Scorpion, SPPP or even elements of TourBite may well like this string. Only caveat at this stage is that I need to see how long it remains playable for before going dead.

Power Player
08-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Oh man you just sold me because I love sppp a lot. I have to try this out. I am digging on low tension setups right now. I have the pros pro copy of sppp to be strung up CP at 42/40, and currently gosen polyon polybreak at the same tension. The polybreak plays very well, but the feel is not super comfy even though the pocketing and sweetspot is awesome..I just really like that rubbery feel of scorpion and sppp..it is a little crisp and more plush feel.

Have you tried any pros pro strings? I want to a/b the yy string to the pros pro and see what feels better and lasts longest. I just need around 10 hours per string job at that low tension and I'm happy.

I have always really believed in trying the racquet manufactures strings in their sticks, because it can yield fantastic results.

Torres
08-29-2012, 04:10 AM
I'll cut you a set to try if you want. Just PM me your address details.

SlapShot
08-29-2012, 06:54 AM
So, if a person were to be a big fan of fresh Alu at 53#, what tension would said person be best off trying the yy string at? Just asking for a friend. ;)

Sander001
08-29-2012, 07:25 AM
I want to a/b the yy string to the pros pro and see what feels better and lasts longest.:confused::confused:

And why is there a clone of SPPP?

Power Player
08-29-2012, 07:36 AM
:confused::confused:

And why is there a clone of SPPP?

What has you confused?

I like the Pros Pro Plus Power string. It is cheap, has great feel and plays rather well.

Sander001
08-29-2012, 09:38 AM
what is a/b, yy?

roc17355
08-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Is this a different string than the YPTP HS 1.25 and a differnt color than the green as well?

Power Player
08-29-2012, 10:57 AM
what is a/b, yy?

a/b . I just mean to test them out next to each other and see what I prefer.

yy - Yonex. That is their logo. :)

forgot another string I freaking love and it will come down to this vs the yonex :

Black Magic..the pocketing is so good..I absolutely love how it feels and plays. One of my favorite of all time. I know a lot of people do not like BM, but I could easily string it up in a full job and be quite content.

tennismastermine
08-29-2012, 03:30 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434905

SlapShot
08-30-2012, 07:44 PM
I put a set of the Poly Tour Pro black in my IG Prestige MP, and used it for two sets tonight - pulled it out for a set against a big hitting 4.5 (almost 5.0) younger guy, and then a set against a former 5.0, now 4.5 crafty teaching pro. The frame was strung yesterday on a lockout machine at 54#.

From a price/performance ratio, I'm very impressed. The feel, as was mentioned, is certainly muted, but not overly so. It doesn't give an amazing amount of feedback, and I think that's what makes the string feel much softer than some similar poly strings. In terms of power, I would actually say that this has an ample amount of power to be used in a player's frame. I was having no trouble generating pace on either the serve or groundstrokes, even as I started to get tired in the match. Spin was ample, as is to be expected for a poly string, and I was getting good hop on my kick serve. My favorite shot tonight when I was using this string was the loopy inside-out FH attempting to set up the inside-in FH. The ball had good dive and good pace, and I felt confident in hitting 3-4 balls before attacking.

We will see how it holds up, but for a $10 poly, the performance is above what I would consider status quo. Very impressive softer poly string overall.

syke
08-31-2012, 12:53 PM
I put a set of the Poly Tour Pro black in my IG Prestige MP, and used it for two sets tonight - pulled it out for a set against a big hitting 4.5 (almost 5.0) younger guy, and then a set against a former 5.0, now 4.5 crafty teaching pro. The frame was strung yesterday on a lockout machine at 54#.

From a price/performance ratio, I'm very impressed. The feel, as was mentioned, is certainly muted, but not overly so. It doesn't give an amazing amount of feedback, and I think that's what makes the string feel much softer than some similar poly strings. In terms of power, I would actually say that this has an ample amount of power to be used in a player's frame. I was having no trouble generating pace on either the serve or groundstrokes, even as I started to get tired in the match. Spin was ample, as is to be expected for a poly string, and I was getting good hop on my kick serve. My favorite shot tonight when I was using this string was the loopy inside-out FH attempting to set up the inside-in FH. The ball had good dive and good pace, and I felt confident in hitting 3-4 balls before attacking.

We will see how it holds up, but for a $10 poly, the performance is above what I would consider status quo. Very impressive softer poly string overall.

Why did you pay $10 for a set? You could find them for $8.95 right here on TW, and they going for $7.95 not too long ago.

SlapShot
09-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Why did you pay $10 for a set? You could find them for $8.95 right here on TW, and they going for $7.95 not too long ago.

I was rounding up - for some reason, I thought I remembered them being $9.50. I bought them from TW...

Torres
09-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Is this a different string than the YPTP HS 1.25 and a differnt color than the green as well?

Yes, it's a different string.

Power Player
09-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Think I'm moving on past the pros pro polys. Next up will be the yy (email sent to Torres) vs black magic. From how everyone describes the yonex, it could be the one.

I am still tempted by the elixir of tour bite as well..I have had some amazing moments on court with that string.

Power Player
09-04-2012, 06:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UvXqZ.jpg
Huge thanks to Torres as I received some ptp from him and strung it up at 43/41 cp.

Was very tired but went out and tried the string for an hour. I obviously love the look of it. The funny thing is it reminded me a lot of another rather impressive Japanese poly in gosen polybreak. The difference is that the ptp is a little plusher and gives more spin. Comfort level seems about the same, they are both rather nice.

I love the huge thoccckk sound the stringbed gives you when you swing properly and middle the ball. If you are swinging poorly the stringbed sounds more tinny. That feedback is great..really rewards a relaxed swing that catches the ball put in front.

Pocketing is ok so far, nothing great but I am going to give that a little more time. I took a few huge rips at the ball and was real impressed with the spin and control. Hit a cc forehand that I absolutely pasted. The ball kicked so high that I thought I may clear the fence. Never seen action like that, so I'll just say it hit a crack in the court so I don't try and recreate it, but regardless you can go real big.

This string just does what you tell it to. I need more time with it but I really like it a lot so far. I plan to buy more and do a few more shoot outs before picking and going with something.

syke
09-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Huge thanks to Torres as I received some ptp from him and strung it up at 43/41 cp.

Was very tired but went out and tried the string for an hour. I obviously love the look of it. The funny thing is it reminded me a lot of another rather impressive Japanese poly in gosen polybreak. The difference is that the ptp is a little plusher and gives more spin. Comfort level seems about the same, they are both rather nice.

I love the huge thoccckk sound the stringbed gives you when you swing properly and middle the ball. If you are swinging poorly the stringbed sounds more tinny. That feedback is great..really rewards a relaxed swing that catches the ball put in front.

Pocketing is ok so far, nothing great but I am going to give that a little more time. I took a few huge rips at the ball and was real impressed with the spin and control. Hit a cc forehand that I absolutely pasted. The ball kicked so high that I thought I may clear the fence. Never seen action like that, so I'll just say it hit a crack in the court so I don't try and recreate it, but regardless you can go real big.

This string just does what you tell it to. I need more time with it but I really like it a lot so far. I plan to buy more and do a few more shoot outs before picking and going with something.

It's good that you went against UA's advice. :)

finalfantasy7
09-05-2012, 04:33 AM
has anyone tried this at different tensions?, im looking to try this in a 18x20,
is it reconmended not to go over 50, like people say about co focus

smirker
09-05-2012, 12:48 PM
The YTPP looks sweet in the RDIS 200 but the blue YTPPS would look even better . Glad you liked it PP, digging the profiled version of this string currently in my PD.

syke
09-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Has anyone tried doing a hybrid with the YPTP on the crosses and YPTS on the mains?

GarryClarke
09-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Has anyone tried doing a hybrid with the YPTP on the crosses and YPTS on the mains?

syke

thats what im going to do next YPTS/YPTP,currently using YPTP in a full bed which i like alot and also got YPTS/syngut in my other PD which i like as well but is low powered but loads of spin and control so the thought of both strings together could be a little gem!!!!!

cheers garry

smirker
09-06-2012, 11:54 PM

It seems Dadozen has from another thread running on poly hybrids. Awaiting confirmation and his experiences as I am keen on trying this combo too.

smirker
09-06-2012, 11:59 PM
syke

thats what im going to do next YPTS/YPTP,currently using YPTP in a full bed which i like alot and also got YPTS/syngut in my other PD which i like as well but is low powered but loads of spin and control so the thought of both strings together could be a little gem!!!!!

cheers garry

Morning Gary. I see the avatar is back!

Definitely going to try the Yonex hybrid in the PD. I have a feeling it could be special and harness the positive qualities of each string. As you know now have my PD as I want it. This hybrid hopefully will be the last piece of the jigsaw and I can stop endlessly trying different strings!

GarryClarke
09-07-2012, 02:59 AM
Morning Gary. I see the avatar is back!

Definitely going to try the Yonex hybrid in the PD. I have a feeling it could be special and harness the positive qualities of each string. As you know now have my PD as I want it. This hybrid hopefully will be the last piece of the jigsaw and I can stop endlessly trying different strings!

morning jim

and yes the jugs are back and dont tell julie lol

am going to string YPTS/YPTP @ 42/40 tonight as u no ive not been on the courts for a bit and im bored to hell!!!!!!
will txt you some pics when ive strung it:)

dont no when i will get to play with YPTS/YPTP but will let you no how i get on with it.

cheers garry

syke
09-07-2012, 08:09 AM
syke

cheers garry

Sweet!

Show us a picture of the hybrid once you have strung them up. :)

Power Player
09-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Hit for another few hours and was really loving the string this time. Should be able to get some match play in with it this week. It felt extremely comfortable in my racquet this time and the spin, power and control was all excellent.

GarryClarke
09-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Hit for another few hours and was really loving the string this time. Should be able to get some match play in with it this week. It felt extremely comfortable in my racquet this time and the spin, power and control was all excellent.

PP

glad your liking the string and long may it continue:)

YPTP/YPTS ive found it does take an hour or so to break in or soften up!!!!!
and then it just plays better and better,ive only put a couple of hours on YPTP due to my lack of tennis at the momen:(

also can i suggest you try YPTS,a bit of an opposite to YPTP as in low powered great control and spin.

im going to "soon" do a hybrid of YPTS/YPTP in low 40,s and will keep this thread posted as i do think i could be onto something!!!!!

cheers garry

Shaochieh
09-10-2012, 07:07 AM
I strung this string in my XI98 at 57/55 and it felt great but the string was way too soft and the balls were going long about 7-10 inches. I will increase it to 58/58 to see I can get it to dial in to my racket. The string plays beautifully in my racket and feel is great for a poly. For 9 dollars is a steal.

Power Player
09-10-2012, 07:32 AM
That is the thing, it is a total steal for the price. I wish I could buy reels like our friends overseas. I really like the softness and have no issues with overhitting even at 40#s... but I am a heavy spin hitter. What I love is that I can flatten out the ball when needed as well.

syke
09-10-2012, 07:37 AM

I refused to believe Yonex could make such good strings. And that resulted in numerous playtests with other offerings on the market.

I am glad I am done with the experimenting. These YY strings might not be the best in everything, but they definitely are on the top of my list for overall playability.

It's a pity much TW folks like my old self have a stigma against YY strings.

At a price like this, it's just unbelievable. I just wish TW would start offering them in reels.

Shaochieh
09-10-2012, 09:13 AM
I refused to believe Yonex could make such good strings. And that resulted in numerous playtests with other offerings on the market.

I am glad I am done with the experimenting. These YY strings might not be the best in everything, but they definitely are on the top of my list for overall playability.

At a price like this, it's just unbelievable. I just wish TW would start offering them in reels.

Where have you seen reel of yonex strings???

syke
09-10-2012, 09:27 AM

On some German websites...
If I remember you are residing in Europe right?

smirker
09-10-2012, 11:38 AM

They are available in the UK if you know where to look.

GarryClarke
09-10-2012, 11:43 AM
deleted post

Power Player
09-10-2012, 12:18 PM
^^

You could get in trouble for that posting that link on this site Garry..may want to delete it.

GarryClarke
09-10-2012, 12:35 PM
^^

You could get in trouble for that posting that link on this site Garry..may want to delete it.

will do PP and didnt no it was against the rules!!!!

cheers garry

blackfrido
09-10-2012, 04:50 PM

Reading your comments I can't wait to play with my just strung racquet with the black version of the Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125. I will post comments!

syke
09-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Reading your comments I can't wait to play with my just strung racquet with the black version of the Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125. I will post comments!

Haven't tried the black version of the YPTP. I assume they would play a little stiffer?

My fav is still the YPTS. You should try that one if you have the chance to. To me it's like a cheaper version of the BC.

Power Player
09-11-2012, 05:47 AM
Syke, did you ever do an a/b comparison of ptp and pts? If not, Id love to read it...is it as soft, durable, predictable? etc.

I plan to go to my shop and buy another pack of ptp before ordering a reel from Gary's source. But if they have pts i will definitely try that as well.

syke
09-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Syke, did you ever do an a/b comparison of ptp and pts? If not, Id love to read it...is it as soft, durable, predictable? etc.

I plan to go to my shop and buy another pack of ptp before ordering a reel from Gary's source. But if they have pts i will definitely try that as well.

PP, knowing you have a sensitive arm, I am a little hesitant on recommending you anything stiff...

It is stiffer than the YPTP but it softens out after a couple of hours, durability is about the same. It does get more powerful/trampoline like once the stringbed has soften up, so that's a minus point for predictability.

Freshly strung, the control and spin is just awesome with the right amount of power. However, I know others here prefer the string better after it has broken in, with more pocketing and power.

But what I really like about this string is the crisp cheap plasticky feel, lol.. The feel of the ball leaving the stringbed almost immediately upon impact, accompanied with a loud distintive twat. To be honest, it's quite the opposite to the YPTP in terms of feel.

FYI, I do like the SPPP as well, SPPP has a really nice pop but just a little too powerful for my taste. That's why I ended up with the YPTS. If you like the SPPP, there is a good possibility the YPTS might work out for you.

Try it if you are game, just remember to cut it out if it's too stiff for you. :)

syke
09-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Oh yes... Despite it being a stiffer string, it did not hurt my arm like how the CoFocus Hex did. The CoFocus Hex was muted and boardy, the YPTS is much livelier.

Power Player
09-11-2012, 10:04 AM
yes..true..i ended up souring a little on sppp. in a full job the feel is not my thing. I love the ptp..i may just stick with it.

blackfrido
09-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Haven't tried the black version of the YPTP. I assume they would play a little stiffer?

My fav is still the YPTS. You should try that one if you have the chance to. To me it's like a cheaper version of the BC.

I would definitely with that one a try. thanks!

smirker
09-11-2012, 11:23 PM

PP, FYI.They (the shop me & Gary get ours from in the UK) do have the YTS (acronym for Youth Training Scheme here!) but only in set form. TW Europe also carry the YTP in reels at a similar cost to UK prices but do discounts on multiple reels.

smirker
09-11-2012, 11:59 PM
PP, knowing you have a sensitive arm, I am a little hesitant on recommending you anything stiff...

It is stiffer than the YPTP but it softens out after a couple of hours, durability is about the same. It does get more powerful/trampoline like once the stringbed has soften up, so that's a minus point for predictability.

Freshly strung, the control and spin is just awesome with the right amount of power. However, I know others here prefer the string better after it has broken in, with more pocketing and power.

But what I really like about this string is the crisp cheap plasticky feel, lol.. The feel of the ball leaving the stringbed almost immediately upon impact, accompanied with a loud distintive twat. To be honest, it's quite the opposite to the YPTP in terms of feel.

FYI, I do like the SPPP as well, SPPP has a really nice pop but just a little too powerful for my taste. That's why I ended up with the YPTS. If you like the SPPP, there is a good possibility the YPTS might work out for you.

Try it if you are game, just remember to cut it out if it's too stiff for you. :)

Syke, I ended up hybriding my YTPS in my PD and it softens it up just enough for my taste. Firm but not stiff with plenty of controlable power and spin. Next up is the YTP but thinking I may go full bed in this one due to the softness. I am also sorely tempted to try YTS/YTP and would have done so by now if I had a 2nd PD.

syke
09-12-2012, 01:57 AM
Syke, I ended up hybriding my YTPS in my PD and it softens it up just enough for my taste. Firm but not stiff with plenty of controlable power and spin. Next up is the YTP but thinking I may go full bed in this one due to the softness. I am also sorely tempted to try YTS/YTP and would have done so by now if I had a 2nd PD.

Still holding out for Garry to do just that...

If it works out well for him, I will go grab a set of YPTP for the hybrid.

smirker
09-12-2012, 04:18 AM

I think he was in the process of doing it when I last spoke to him. Loathe to cut out the YTPS hybrid when I am enjoying it so much.

syke
09-12-2012, 05:37 AM
I think he was in the process of doing it when I last spoke to him. Loathe to cut out the YTPS hybrid when I am enjoying it so much.

I hear you.
I'll just patiently wait for his reviews.... You hear that Garry?:)

smirker
09-12-2012, 06:36 AM
I hear you.
I'll just patiently wait for his reviews.... You hear that Garry?:)

Lol, I'll text him later and see if he's done it yet. He will post photos for sure.

GarryClarke
09-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Right guys and sorry for the delay but I've finally strung the YPTS/YPTP @ 42/40
Tried to take some photos and it's hard to get a good one as the YPTP just blots out the YPTS lol
Will try again in the morning with better light but I promise I will post some pics up.

Jim I sent you a picture from my woman's phone and did you get it???

Also I won't be on court till Sunday morning and will be playing doubles,I will solely play with the YPTS/YPTP and will do my best to give a fair and accurate review,remember I'm a newbie so bear with me

Cheers Garry

GarryClarke
09-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Hi Syke

All strung up now and just got to hit with it and as in my previous post I Wont be on court till Sunday morning!!

Again I will get my view on this setup up asap:)

Cheers garry

smirker
09-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Right guys and sorry for the delay but I've finally strung the YPTS/YPTP @ 42/40
Tried to take some photos and it's hard to get a good one as the YPTP just blots out the YPTS lol
Will try again in the morning with better light but I promise I will post some pics up.

Jim I sent you a picture from my woman's phone and did you get it???

Also I won't be on court till Sunday morning and will be playing doubles,I will solely play with the YPTS/YPTP and will do my best to give a fair and accurate review,remember I'm a newbie so bear with me

Cheers Garry

Just come through mate. Looks good, did you take any photos from above?

GarryClarke
09-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Just come through mate. Looks good, did you take any photos from above?

hi jim,just uploaded some to photo bucket but as u will see i need more light

here goes

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/juliegarry/20120912_213812.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/juliegarry/20120912_213849.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/juliegarry/20120912_214029.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/juliegarry/20120912_214316.jpg

as you can see some of the crosses aint straight but after a fiddle there all ok now

cheers garry

smirker
09-12-2012, 01:58 PM

here goes

as you can see some of the crosses aint straight but after a fiddle there all ok now

cheers garry

Nice mate. Will have to seriously consider this as my next set up. Hope it plays as well as it looks.

GarryClarke
09-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Nice mate. Will have to seriously consider this as my next set up. Hope it plays as well as it looks.

cheers jim

i hope it plays as well as it looks and now ive done the stencil in black and added the babolat dampner it looks even better lol

cant wait to hit with it now:)

mykoh
09-12-2012, 10:33 PM
wow that is a really bright stringbed. excited to hear your thoughts Garry!

GarryClarke
09-12-2012, 11:35 PM
wow that is a really bright stringbed. excited to hear your thoughts Garry!

Hi mykoh

Trust me it's very bright and ive got my other pd strung with a full bed of the yellow YPTP,
It does look better in the flesh though and it so suits both my pd,s

Looking forward to hitting with it myself and I'm expecting a lot from this setup as ive now played full beds in both the YPTP/YPTS

Cheers Garry

mykoh
09-13-2012, 12:25 AM
played a full bed of YPTP (neon yellow) and i love the colour. more so than the string itself actually. ever considered a hybrid with a multi or a syngut?

GarryClarke
09-13-2012, 10:37 PM
played a full bed of YPTP (neon yellow) and i love the colour. more so than the string itself actually. ever considered a hybrid with a multi or a syngut?

what didnt you like about YPTP??????

i really liked the power/spin but it did lack that touch control but then again ive only been playing a year and still learning.

i found YPTP better for baseline bashing!!!!!!

ive also played YPTS in a full bed and also in a hybrid with syngut in the crosses
in a full bed YPTS was too low powered for me but spin/control was awsome and a great string for doubles.

ive also played YPTS in the mains crossed with syngut,again low powered not as much spin and the crosses moved all over the place which annoyed me big time so that got cut out.

ive just done YPTP/YPTS @ 44/42

i did 2 hrs with it last nite and will post my findings later:)

mykoh
09-13-2012, 11:59 PM
i found YPTP had a very full feel, almost black code like. but i personally prefer crisper string setups, and in my 95d, the YPTP was a bit too muted for my liking. that and i think i may be kidding myself with full poly. i think for me it needs natgut or multi in there. come to think of it, natgut/PTP sounds awesome. hmmmmm

strange though, after about 6 hours of play it started to stiffen up and i was actually beginning to like it. i still have a set of PTP in black, and when it comes time to restring the 89t it'll be the first string i go to.

oh and only just noticed syke wrote this.

The feel of the ball leaving the stringbed almost immediately upon impact, accompanied with a loud distintive twat.

loud and distinctive indeed.

GarryClarke
09-14-2012, 12:39 AM
i found YPTP had a very full feel, almost black code like. but i personally prefer crisper string setups, and in my 95d, the YPTP was a bit too muted for my liking. that and i think i may be kidding myself with full poly. i think for me it needs natgut or multi in there. come to think of it, natgut/PTP sounds awesome. hmmmmm

strange though, after about 6 hours of play it started to stiffen up and i was actually beginning to like it. i still have a set of PTP in black, and when it comes time to restring the 89t it'll be the first string i go to.

oh and only just noticed syke wrote this.

loud and distinctive indeed.

im only 4hrs down the road with the full bed of YPTP @ 52/50 and it plays better and better each time.

ive not tried the black version as you can only get it in that awsome "neon yellow" here but im more than happy blinding my opponent with the yellow lol

and your suggestion of trying the YPTP with natgut was also suggested by my mate jim (smirker) as ive just got a set of natgut to see what all the hype is about,my only concern is that natgut is powerful and so is the YPTP so i did think of putting the natgut in the mains and the YPTS in the crosses.

im trying not to get caught up in the string testing lark!!!!!
ive got quite a few sets (different strings) now but my love for the yonex strings is well and truely here and hope it lasts:shock:

and i no what your saying about poly as ive had a case of te/ge shoulder/hand problems and that was using a multi!!!!!!
since i switched to the yonex poly ive had zero problems and i just love the softness of it if you can call it that!!!!!

and yes that twat sound off the stringbed sounds awsome:)

cheers garry

mykoh
09-14-2012, 12:59 AM
awesome awesome. always nice to see a fellow tennis addict settle down with a frame or a setup. i think that's what we all strive to attain. i'm down to a lot less knobs to turn and adjust now, hopefully i can find a frame and setup i can stick with. gotta admit, i'm loving all the playtesting though.

GarryClarke
09-14-2012, 02:05 AM
awesome awesome. always nice to see a fellow tennis addict settle down with a frame or a setup. i think that's what we all strive to attain. i'm down to a lot less knobs to turn and adjust now, hopefully i can find a frame and setup i can stick with. gotta admit, i'm loving all the playtesting though.

cheers mykoh

i really do like to try different strings out but but as youve said ive found the racket now the strings so im not changing anytime soon:)

im going to experiment with tenisions just as you say to fine tune things,

ive started fairly low on YPTS/YPTP 44/42 as YPTS is so low powered and knew the YPTP would give it that extra punch!!!
im going to string my other pd with the same setup but im going to go with my goto tension 52/50 and work from there.

cheers garry

syke
09-15-2012, 07:27 AM

here goes

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/juliegarry/20120912_214029.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/juliegarry/20120912_214316.jpg

cheers garry

Nice pictures! :)

What gauge are those YPTP? 130?

Hopefully you get to play them soon!

GarryClarke
09-15-2012, 09:19 AM
hi syke

no there both 125 gauge:)

i did manage 2hrs on court with a mate and his boy,i only took the newly strung YPTS/YPTP @ 44/42 so not to switch back and forth with my other pd.

im not that good at explaining things so will do my absolute best so bear with me!!!

power-very very good and it felt like a full bed of YPTP 125 like i have in my other PD but with bags more control.

serve-i couldnt really get dialed in as we were only having a knock about but i did manage a few flat/kick serves and on 1st impressions its again very very good and has plenty of spin on my kick serve.

F/H topspin was excellent and just as i hoped with the YPTS in the mains,alot more spin than just YPTP in a full bed.

B/H topspin was again excellent and dipped and kept low over the net giving my mate no chance of getting it back.

B/H slice had bags of spin and depth and kept low over the net again alot better than just a full bed of YPTP.

VOLLEYS-not my best weapon but control/direction was very very good,again bags of spin to keep the ball very low.

CONTROL-all i can say again its very good a bit better than YPTP in a fullbed and its defo gonna be great for doubles.

COMFORT-for a poly it plays really soft,out of the strings ive played YPTS fullbed and YPTS/SYNGUT felt the stiffest,YPTP AND YPTS/YPTP are the softest.

so far ive played with a fullbed of YPTS @ 52/50,YPTS/SYNGUT @ 46/50 a fullbed of YPTP @ 52/50 and now a hybrid of YTPS/YPTP @ 44/42.

out of all these playtest,s im now settling on YPTS/YPTP,i will mess around with tensions just to fine tune

cheers garry

smirker
09-15-2012, 01:31 PM
hi syke

i did manage 2hrs on court with a mate and his boy,i only took the newly strung YPTS/YPTP @ 44/42 so not to switch back and forth with my other pd.

im not that good at explaining things so will do my absolute best so bear with me!!!

power-very very good and it felt like a full bed of YPTP 125 like i have in my other PD but with bags more control.

serve-i couldnt really get dialed in as we were only having a knock about but i did manage a few flat/kick serves and on 1st impressions its again very very good and has plenty of spin on my kick serve.

F/H topspin was excellent and just as i hoped with the YPTS in the mains,alot more spin than just YPTP in a full bed.

B/H topspin was again excellent and dipped and kept low over the net giving my mate no chance of getting it back.

B/H slice had bags of spin and depth and kept low over the net again alot better than just a full bed of YPTP.

B/H VOLLEYS-not my best weapon but control/direction was very very good,again bags of spin to keep the ball very low.

CONTROL-all i can say again its very good a bit better than YPTP in a fullbed and its defo gonna be great for doubles.

so far ive played with a fullbed of YPTS @ 52/50,YPTS/SYNGUT @ 46/50 a fullbed of YPTP @ 52/50 and now a hybrid of YTPS/YPTP @ 44/42.

out of all these playtest,s im now settling on YPTS/YPTP,i will mess around with tensions just to fine tune

cheers garry

Good review mate.Straight to the point but and you cover all the important aspects as well as showing your progression with the Yonex strings. You have more experience than most of them so your opinions are very helpful

I will get round to doing this set up soon, just couldn't muster up the enthusiasm tonight!

Will hit with the PD again tomorrow and possibly remove the lead. If the elbow is sore the next day I might have to consider my options. I love the performance of the pd but it's weird that I feel no ill effects when playing but have a sore elbow the next day.

GarryClarke
09-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Good review mate.Straight to the point but and you cover all the important aspects as well as showing your progression with the Yonex strings. You have more experience than most of them so your opinions are very helpful

I will get round to doing this set up soon, just couldn't muster up the enthusiasm tonight!

Will hit with the PD again tomorrow and possibly remove the lead. If the elbow is sore the next day I might have to consider my options. I love the performance of the pd but it's weird that I feel no ill effects when playing but have a sore elbow the next day.

cheer for the kind words jim

if i can get just one other person to try out the Yonex strings then my job is done:)
i think the Yonex strings are great and now ive tried them in either a fullbed or in a hybrid to see how each of them play.

come on jim get that blue/yellow hybrid done you dont no what your missing lol.

shame your having elbow problems with the PD and i no you luv that stick:(
do what you have to do mate but keep trying different things to see if you can make it work for you!!!!!
i no what options your looking into but again stick with the PD for now.

have you thought of wearing a T/E strap just to ease things????
i wore one for weeks untill mine healed and its an option????

cheers garry

syke
09-16-2012, 09:00 AM
hi syke

VOLLEYS-not my best weapon but control/direction was very very good,again bags of spin to keep the ball very low.

COMFORT-for a poly it plays really soft,out of the strings ive played YPTS fullbed and YPTS/SYNGUT felt the stiffest,YPTP AND YPTS/YPTP are the softest.

cheers garry

Sounds like a winner! Thanks for the great effort Garry...

A YPTP hybrid with more control and spin. Awesome..

This is definitely my next string setup... :)

ckcgary
09-16-2012, 09:04 AM

Very nice test report. Thanks a lot.:p

May I know that why you drop the new YTPS/YPTP from 52/50 to 44/42? You may got apple to apple result if comparing with same tension as fullbed of YPTS & YPTP at 52/50.:)

GarryClarke
09-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Sounds like a winner! Thanks for the great effort Garry...

A YPTP hybrid with more control and spin. Awesome..

This is definitely my next string setup... :)

cheers syke

and yes loads of spin but with the added power of the YPTP

had another 2 hours on court playing doubles and i was playing so well with it,
was the 1st time actually had a proper game and to say im impressed is an understatement:)
ive got one big smile on my face i can tell you,still cant believe hybriding the 2 would work so bloody well.

would like someone else to try this setup and add there thoughts (come on jim pull your finger out lol).

ive now put 4 hours on this setup and the tension is fine so its all good and even if it only last another couple of hours im more than happy to re-string,its cheap and im loving it:)

cheers garry

GarryClarke
09-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Very nice test report. Thanks a lot.:p

May I know that why you drop the new YTPS/YPTP from 52/50 to 44/42? You may got apple to apple result if comparing with same tension as fullbed of YPTS & YPTP at 52/50.:)

hi ckcgary

thanks alot for the response and im going to string my other PD with YPTS/YPTP @ 52/50 as this is my go to tension

my reason for such a tension drop is that the YPTS is so low powered and when i first strung it in a full bed @ 52/50 it was hard work hitting with it plus the depth of my shots were very very short so it was easy to get them picked off and after about 4 hours it started to stiffen up on me so i cut it out pronto.

i then used YPTS/SYNGUT @ 46/50 and that was alot better with more depth to my shots and more power but the syngut crosses kept moving about all over the show and i couldnt stand that so cut that out,dont get me wrong as its a very good setup and well worth a try.

hope you can see where im going with this and im playing with tension,s to see what works for me what doesnt.

cheers garry

finalfantasy7
09-16-2012, 01:48 PM
got 2 set of Y-PTP, string it probably 2 months time due to my gut hybrid set up feels brilliant.
i asked this question before but wasnt answered, has anyone experimented with this string in tension?, is it like how people say about co focus shold be strung at mid 50's or higher?

smirker
09-16-2012, 02:08 PM
cheers syke

and yes loads of spin but with the added power of the YPTP

had another 2 hours on court playing doubles and i was playing so well with it,
was the 1st time actually had a proper game and to say im impressed is an understatement:)
ive got one big smile on my face i can tell you,still cant believe hybriding the 2 would work so bloody well.

would like someone else to try this setup and add there thoughts (come on jim pull your finger out lol).

ive now put 4 hours on this setup and the tension is fine so its all good and even if it only last another couple of hours im more than happy to re-string,its cheap and im loving it:)

cheers garry

I'm hearing you mate, will get the YTPS/YTPP hybrid pronto sir! The YTPS/Syn gut is getting a bit tired so needs refreshing. Played well today but had a few balls fly on me which I attribute to the tension dropping below what is optimal. I hit some sweet stop volleys today which is not supposed to happen with the PD. Surprisingly this shot has come into my repetoire since changing from the DUNLOPS, not sure why but its a positive for me.

Back on topic think I will go 46/44 on the hybrid, that should be about right for the combination of power/control/spin I am looking for. Checking out Pro Kennex frames for the arm benefits. Ki 5 and the new Q5 look interesting. Demos a challenge as always!

dadozen
09-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Created a thread to ask about the graphite version of PTGP, but totally forgot about this one.

Has anyone tried the graphite version of PTGP? Does it differ in any way from the yellow version, performance-wise? If there's no difference in how they play, I'll definitely make the switch since the yellow doesn't go well with my Prestiges...

http://www.**************.com/shopimages/products/normal/polytourreel_blk_200.jpg

colan5934
09-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Gave this string a try over the weekend in the 1.25 diameter. 58 pounds in my PDR. It's a good string. I still have to adjust to it a bit just because it's a bit different from my regular Tour Bite 1.25. It's dead-feeling but soft. Much more spin than expected too. Control is decent. It's hard to reign in the power of the PDR, and I would string it a couple of pounds higher or switch to the 1.30 diameter. There was not necessarily a lack of control, but an excess of power...it's difficult to explain. Oh, and the tennis ball yellow color is nice too. Basically, it was a nice test, and I hope it plays well until it breaks, which looks like it will be another 3 hours or so for a total of 7 or 8 hours (average for me).

Compared to Tour Bite in the same gauge:
Spin: Tour Bite
Control: Tour Bite
Feel: Poly Tour Pro
Power: Poly Tour Pro
Durability: Even
Tension Maintenance: Even--I strung a set of each on the same day and played them fairly equally this weekend, and the tension for the Tour Bite is reading 47 on rackettune while the Yonex is 48.

Seth
09-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Gave this string a try over the weekend in the 1.25 diameter. 58 pounds in my PDR. It's a good string. I still have to adjust to it a bit just because it's a bit different from my regular Tour Bite 1.25. It's dead-feeling but soft. Much more spin than expected too. Control is decent. It's hard to reign in the power of the PDR, and I would string it a couple of pounds higher or switch to the 1.30 diameter. There was not necessarily a lack of control, but an excess of power...it's difficult to explain. Oh, and the tennis ball yellow color is nice too. Basically, it was a nice test, and I hope it plays well until it breaks, which looks like it will be another 3 hours or so for a total of 7 or 8 hours (average for me).

Compared to Tour Bite in the same gauge:
Spin: Tour Bite
Control: Tour Bite
Feel: Poly Tour Pro
Power: Poly Tour Pro
Durability: Even
Tension Maintenance: Even--I strung a set of each on the same day and played them fairly equally this weekend, and the tension for the Tour Bite is reading 47 on rackettune while the Yonex is 48.

From my experience with both string, your review is dead-on. Both are great strings, but I went with the PTP because I love the color and that little bit better feel.

smirker
09-19-2012, 11:51 PM
So I finally got round to stringing up the YPTPS/YPTP hybrid (thanks for the encouragement Gary!) and hit with it last night. I don't know if I just had an off night but I didn't enjoy this as much as the YPTPS/syn gut set up I had in the PD previously. I was struggling with depth control and either the balls were falling short or sailing on me. Spin was good but no more so than the previous set up. Serves had noticeably lower power which was not a positive. Surprisingly I did enjoy volleying with it.

I won't right it off just yet, have to play with it some more first. It could be a good baseline set up but I need more feel and precision for my game. Gut/poly is the way forward for me.

GarryClarke
09-20-2012, 12:06 AM
So I finally got round to stringing up the YPTPS/YPTP hybrid (thanks for the encouragement Gary!) and hit with it last night. I don't know if I just had an off night but I didn't enjoy this as much as the YPTPS/syn gut set up I had in the PD previously. I was struggling with depth control and either the balls were falling short or sailing on me. Spin was good but no more so than the previous set up. Serves had noticeably lower power which was not a positive. Surprisingly I did enjoy volleying with it.

I won't right it off just yet, have to play with it some more first. It could be a good baseline set up but I need more feel and precision for my game. Gut/poly is the way forward for me.

hi jim
not sure what to say about your hit with blue/yellow!!!!
all of the things you describe are the opposite to how that setup plays for me!!!!!
but as i said earlier someone elses setup might not always suit you,i no it was your 1st hit with it last nite but give it another outing before you right if off
its a shame as i think ive stumbled on a great setup that suits my game but again it might not work for everyone

jim keep us all psosted on how your next outing goes with this setup:)

cheers garry

smirker
09-20-2012, 12:36 AM
hi jim
not sure what to say about your hit with blue/yellow!!!!
all of the things you describe are the opposite to how that setup plays for me!!!!!
but as i said earlier someone elses setup might not always suit you,i no it was your 1st hit with it last nite but give it another outing before you right if off
its a shame as i think ive stumbled on a great setup that suits my game but again it might not work for everyone

jim keep us all psosted on how your next outing goes with this setup:)

cheers garry

Will do mate, I really wanted to love it but the simple fact was I didn't play very well with it. It might have been that I had tinkered with the PD (again!) so it wasn't a fair comparison. Will play again later and post another update. I think maybe the PTPS needs a softer string to go with it.

An update: Played again last night with the hybir of the two Yonex polys. It was like night and day compared to the previous evening. I don't know if the strings had lost a bit of tension or the fact that I had altered the lead placement on the PD but this time around power was there, spin was there and more importantly comfort was there. Ground strokes, serves and volleys were all solid. No matchplay as yet but I was hitting some nice angles and dipping return in the serve&volley drills I was doing last night. @ Gary, sorry mate, should have had a little more faith.

Torres
09-29-2012, 02:42 PM
PP, FYI.They (the shop me & Gary get ours from in the UK) do have the YTS (acronym for Youth Training Scheme here!) but only in set form.

They also have it in reels now.

Torres
10-01-2012, 12:26 PM
#update#

Poly Tour Pro 1.25 - had another hit with this string this past month.

I'm not entirely convinced by it. It has such muted feel on contact with the ball. You really don't get much feedback regarding what the ball's doing on the stringbed. Apart from the lack of feel, there's nothing wrong with it in terms of the way the string performs, but there's nothing to blow you away either unless you consider consistency and neutrality strong points.

It's smooth hitting, controlled, reasonably powerful but never overpowered, has spin but not massively spin orientated. Smooth, neutral, considered, controlled. It's makes for a consistent, predictable ball off the stringbed.

Would probably suit a bigger hitter who absolutely cracks the ball because its lends control to the equation. Playability of the string lasts absolutely ages. Even when its dead / semi-dead its still very playable and control orientated, though its gets slightly harder on the arm the deader it is.

I don't dislike PTP, but I am loving Genesis Black Magic 17 much more at the moment, not least because of the greater bite and feel on contact. If they could improve the feel of PTP and add some more spin, it would be right up there as a really, really good string.

Cat amongst the pigeons, but I'd go so far as to say that PTP is a comfortable version of Luxilon 4G, albeit more muted in terms of feel.

Power Player
10-01-2012, 01:12 PM
I would agree. When I hit real hard and big with it, it was a vicious string, but on rally balls I lost a lot of feel and could not tell what was going to happen with the ball.

In this aspect, I much prefer a crisper string. But even Black Magic, which I have in another stick gives me more ball feel.

It is a tough call..I consider PTP an excellent string, but Gosen Polybreak plays so much better in my racquet that it makes everything else feel second rate in this price range.

bad_call
10-01-2012, 01:21 PM
^ PP - next time out (hitting with me) see how the BM performs in match play...it might just take a dump...lol

couldn't resist the "BM". :)

finalfantasy7
12-15-2012, 04:13 PM
OK been playing with this tring for 5hrs now, fill bed 51lbs, in a prestige mid. So far this is what i think.

It has good control and power, spin, thats about it, honestly for me it has no feeling (not stiff), just carnt feel the ball on stringbed - this is what annoys me. Comfort - like i said not stiff nor soft

It doesnt have any special qualities about it, considering its price £8.00 a set, not worth buying - scorpion is way better and many other strings.
Best description - DULL

finalfantasy7
01-25-2013, 11:32 AM

It's neither soft string nor stiff string, its in the middle. The string is best described as muted- no feeling.
I've used it as a full bed in my prestige mid at 51lbs full bed - I used it for 24hrs cut it out, I know I stated I didn't like the string earlier here, but now I do like it- I still state that is has no great characteristics and a bit dull feeling but I got used to it and it helps me to hit deep consistently

I just dislike fresh poly- just put in scorpion 48/52 I played my worst tennis ever, couldn't hit 3 shots together

parasailing
01-27-2013, 04:40 PM
This came as a cross in my Wilson Blade with VS mains and I found it to be a very soft poly. I like that you can flat out hit the ball really had and still maintain control. It isn't a spin monster but I find the price and tension maintenance to be good.

I am going to test this out again freshly strung to see how well it plays. On the Blade 98, I didn't like my favorite setup, VS mains and Ltec crosses as much maybe due to lower temperatures in the 50s, it doesn't feel plush and solid.

canny
01-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Already tried the spin version of this as a cross with klip 18g gut mains at 60/58. After 2 hours or sooo it played real nice. I prefer focus hex though for a more predictable ball. But I just strung up the other half in the mains at 58 and prince lighting xx spin in the crosses at 58 too just for fun. I'll be playing everyday this week so ill get back to you guys.

parasailing
03-01-2013, 11:09 PM
I have tried the 16L graphite version of the string but haven't tried the yellow one. Has anyone tried both colors and is there any difference between them?

The Big Kahuna
03-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Have you read the reviews on this string at STRINGFORUM.NET?

It has one of the highest ratings from play testers of ANY Poly made today.

Solinco Tour Bite successfully defended its last year's Poly of the Year title after a close head-to-head race against the newcomer Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125. Surprisingly, being a 3rd generation co-poly classic, Signum Pro Poly Plasma achieved a solid 3rd place.

Luxilon 4G was clearly voted Newcomer of the Year, while Yonex Poly Tour Spin and Babolat RPM Team were ranked 2nd and 3rd in that category.

racertempo
03-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Have you read the reviews on this string at STRINGFORUM.NET?

It has one of the highest ratings from play testers of ANY Poly made today.

Solinco Tour Bite successfully defended its last year's Poly of the Year title after a close head-to-head race against the newcomer Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125. Surprisingly, being a 3rd generation co-poly classic, Signum Pro Poly Plasma achieved a solid 3rd place.

Luxilon 4G was clearly voted Newcomer of the Year, while Yonex Poly Tour Spin and Babolat RPM Team were ranked 2nd and 3rd in that category.

Does not surprise me at all, one of my favorite poly strings ever.

The Big Kahuna
03-04-2013, 02:51 PM
What tensions are you using with the Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125?

The trend these days is to string in the 40s with a good poly. Our friends at G&G feel no poly should every be strung over 48 lbs.

I know that tension is relative to the racquet and the stule of play, but anyone have any thoughts on the Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125 and an optimum range for tension to ecact the best from the string?

The Big Kahuna
03-04-2013, 03:32 PM

If you check the Ratings Database there from the playtests done by StringForum of all co-polys on the market with a minimum of 30 teats report, BOTH the Yonex polys are # and #2 at this time. They are also #1 and #2 in PRICE TO PERFORMANCE raiting (best for the money).

These are impressive results.

The Big Kahuna
03-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Look here!

Tennis Warehouse now carries reels of the stuff!

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Yonex_Poly_Tour_Pro_125_16L_Black_String_Reel/descpageACYONEX-YPTP125BKR.html

Ross K
03-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Yes, I liked this string a lot as a full job in the Juice 100 last year. I may well look at it again soon in my Blade.

syke
03-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Look here!

Tennis Warehouse now carries reels of the stuff!

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Yonex_Poly_Tour_Pro_125_16L_Black_String_Reel/descpageACYONEX-YPTP125BKR.html

No Yellow?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:evil:

The Big Kahuna
03-06-2013, 09:37 PM
No Yellow?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:evil:

YONEX says backordered until the end of March.

Keep checking...

mad dog1
03-06-2013, 10:23 PM
does the black play just like the yellow? i've tried the yellow and loved it but would switch if black feels the same.

The Big Kahuna
03-07-2013, 08:09 PM
does the black play just like the yellow? i've tried the yellow and loved it but would switch if black feels the same.

Yonex says yes. The only difference is the color.

Murray_fan1
03-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Pretty close IMO. I think the black may be slightly less lively which I like but the difference is negligible.

Ross K
03-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Pretty close IMO. I think the black may be slightly less lively which I like but the difference is negligible.

May have to get the black as I find that bright yellow a bit too dazzling.:) Hmm, wonder how full job PTP would work in my blade?...

GarryClarke
03-08-2013, 07:39 AM
May have to get the black as I find that bright yellow a bit too dazzling.:) Hmm, wonder how full job PTP would work in my blade?...

come on Ross the yellow is awsome looking (in the 2012 PD):)

not tried it in the blade yet so keep me posted if you do as ive still got a couple of sets left.....

Ross K
03-10-2013, 01:04 PM
come on Ross the yellow is awsome looking (in the 2012 PD):)

not tried it in the blade yet so keep me posted if you do as ive still got a couple of sets left.....

Will update you soon, G. I'm noodling around with an old Blade as well as my 16x19 and have just sent the former to the stringers for full PTP string job.

mad dog1
03-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Yonex says yes. The only difference is the color.

thx, TBK and M_F1, for the feedback. much appreciated. i'll just get a reel then.

i LOVE the yellow. dazzling? i like to stand out on the court! :mrgreen: if yonex would offer the yellow in a reel, i'd get it for sure!

GarryClarke
03-11-2013, 12:28 AM
Will update you soon, G. I'm noodling around with an old Blade as well as my 16x19 and have just sent the former to the stringers for full PTP string job.

nice one ROSS:)

what tension have you gone for in the 16x19 blade????,i went 52/50 in my pd,s and it worked well,perils of having your own stringing machine as you want to try out different strings,defo going to go back to YPTP at some point.

am liking the prince beast xp i got off skippy in the blade98 18x20,had to string it quite high as its on the powerful side but so far so good :)

The Big Kahuna
03-13-2013, 04:02 PM
According to the email I got from Yonex Support:

"In terms of playability and performance, two colors are the same. Material is polyester and 16L gauge (1.25mm). Advantage of this string is comfortable feel and reduces player fatigue."

Ross K
03-13-2013, 11:02 PM
nice one ROSS:)

what tension have you gone for in the 16x19 blade????,i went 52/50 in my pd,s and it worked well,perils of having your own stringing machine as you want to try out different strings,defo going to go back to YPTP at some point.

am liking the prince beast xp i got off skippy in the blade98 18x20,had to string it quite high as its on the powerful side but so far so good :)

Garry, just to clarify, I'll be looking at PTP in K blade @ 48 lbs; in my 16x19 I've gone TB/Ion Hexa @ 48/50; and in my gold/black Blade I'm checking out VS/MSV CoFocus @ 54/50s. As you can see, I've gone a bit Blade crazy of late.:)

Rogael Naderer
03-14-2013, 01:50 AM
According to the email I got from Yonex Support:

"In terms of playability and performance, two colors are the same. Material is polyester and 16L gauge (1.25mm). Advantage of this string is comfortable feel and reduces player fatigue."

Bloody marketing BS!

I've got something that really reduces player fatigue... a rest.

Can they not produce this in a boring colour like white or silver?

syke
03-14-2013, 02:31 AM
Bloody marketing BS!

Can they not produce this in a boring colour like white or silver?

No boring colours please... Bring on the funky colours..

datsveryinterestin
03-14-2013, 10:48 AM
I just tried Yonex Pro 1.25 in black and cut it out after 7 days. It played ok but dropped in tension more than ANY poly string I've ever used. It "pinged" lower than a racquet I had strung YEARS ago with sonic pro and never cut out.
I guess most people like this string, but I need 2 weeks of playability.
I will say that I've had wrist pain from poly strings but did not have it with Yonex Poly Pro 1.25 though.
I was hoping to find a cheaper & softer black poly that played as well as Black Code 17, but so far nothing has come close. Darn

mad dog1
03-14-2013, 11:02 AM
I just tried Yonex Pro 1.25 in black and cut it out after 7 days. It played ok but dropped in tension more than ANY poly string I've ever used. It "pinged" lower than a racquet I had strung YEARS ago with sonic pro and never cut out.
I will say that I've had wrist pain from poly strings but did not have it with Yonex Poly Pro 1.25 though.
I was hoping to find a cheaper & softer black poly that played as well as Black Code 17, but so far nothing has come close. Darn

i found the bright yellow to hold tension well. sounds like black is worse. although yonex claims that black performs just like yellow, it doesn't sound it really does. :cry:

Torres
03-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Bloody marketing BS!

It's not BS. A stiffer string does produce more fatigue on the body. I played with PTS recently. Great string but my body felt like it had been through a boxing match the day. The softer more muted PTP didn't result in the same body fatigue. There's just less hashness going through the arm, shoulder, back etc.

The Big Kahuna
03-14-2013, 04:12 PM

What tension did you string it at?

There are some that claim if you string Poly anything over 50 lbs that you can over-stretch it and it loses much of the characteristics people expect from poly. A number of threads on the this. John Youngblood of G&G is a staunch advocate of keeping poly tensions down for max playability. As an example- in a recent email we exchanged with regard to gut/poly hybrids- he says, "When it comes to polys the low end of the range on the frames can be ignored. Those ranges are intended for synthetics and gut...not polys. The maximum range a poly should be strung at is 52 pounds. The Babolat machine will overshoot on tension which is probably why you lost control at the higher tension. The poly may have been overstretched and killed as a result of being tensioned too high. With your Prince frame and either the MSV or WeissCANNON with the gut keep the polys at 48 and the gut at 52 or 53."

Sander001
03-14-2013, 04:52 PM
I was hoping to find a cheaper & softer black poly that played as well as Black Code 17, but so far nothing has come close. DarnYeah I feared this as well; according to TW string data, it is one of the worst strings at holding tension.

The Big Kahuna
03-14-2013, 11:30 PM
Yeah I feared this as well; according to TW string data, it is one of the worst strings at holding tension.

You may want to compare what TW string data has posted as opposed to Stringforum in their actual playtests. I think you'll find that it's rated very high in terms of holding tension. It is, in fact, their number one rated screen for a polyester overall of anything out there right now.

tistrapukcipeht
03-15-2013, 09:48 AM
I have not had tried that string yet based on feedback as being powerful, maybe I should try it, I see it as being very powerful and comfortable as far as customers feedback on string forum, which counts more to me than TW data, which is always having mistakes on their published tests.

I think play test is more important than lab data.

That string forum has so many different strings feedback it's amazing, there is always a new company i have never heard of, tier one strings, vip strings, dyreex strings, ardor strings...

GarryClarke
03-15-2013, 10:50 AM
I have not had tried that string yet based on feedback as being powerful, maybe I should try it, I see it as being very powerful and comfortable as far as customers feedback on string forum, which counts more to me than TW data, which is always having mistakes on their published tests.

I think play test is more important than lab data.

That string forum has so many different strings feedback it's amazing, there is always a new company i have never heard of, tier one strings, vip strings, dyreex strings, ardor strings...

tistrapukcipeht

i had a brief spell with the ezone 100 and i had YPYP (yellow) in it @ 52/50,it played very well and was lower powered than the same string in my pd at the same poundage,yes a stiffer more powerful frame but yptp played very well in the ezone 100 so it might be worth a try????

i just couldnt get on with the head shape and shanked so many balls it was frustrating to say the least....

control/touch shots were great with the ezone/yptp but again i shanked more than i hit cleanly

cheers garry

tistrapukcipeht
03-15-2013, 05:37 PM
tistrapukcipeht

i had a brief spell with the ezone 100 and i had YPYP (yellow) in it @ 52/50,it played very well and was lower powered than the same string in my pd at the same poundage,yes a stiffer more powerful frame but yptp played very well in the ezone 100 so it might be worth a try????

i just couldnt get on with the head shape and shanked so many balls it was frustrating to say the least....

control/touch shots were great with the ezone/yptp but again i shanked more than i hit cleanly

cheers garry

Garry,

I hope all is well!

Every player will have different power level, to me the racquet is a grenade ready to explode- in the right hands.

Shanking is about timing - which involves footwork. Did you see how much Federer and Nadal shanked yesterday- incredible, again it isn't the racquet, I shank a little bit too, but with any frame.

I use Yonex poly tour spin, otherwise my limited skills can't control depth of my shots, I will be evaluating the Yonex VCore 97 tour in the spring and see if I switch or not from Ezones; to me the best 100 sq in racquet available, I still have them in case I decide to go back.

Take care and good luck with your new guns :)

finalfantasy7
03-16-2013, 06:20 AM
Ive tried this string and enjoyed it - very good, just i prefer softer strings as they provide better feeling like scorpion.

has anyone tried the poly tour spin and compared it with poly tour pro? (i know the spin is low powered), but i would like to know which do people prefer?

i still can't figure out how to fully describe the ptp, its has great chracteristics but it doesnt have 1 amazing characteristic.

GarryClarke
03-17-2013, 01:31 AM
Garry,

I hope all is well!

Every player will have different power level, to me the racquet is a grenade ready to explode- in the right hands.

Shanking is about timing - which involves footwork. Did you see how much Federer and Nadal shanked yesterday- incredible, again it isn't the racquet, I shank a little bit too, but with any frame.

I use Yonex poly tour spin, otherwise my limited skills can't control depth of my shots, I will be evaluating the Yonex VCore 97 tour in the spring and see if I switch or not from Ezones; to me the best 100 sq in racquet available, I still have them in case I decide to go back.

Take care and good luck with your new guns :)

hi tistrapukcipeht

im very well thank you and hope you are too???

sorry for the delayed reply but i tend to agree 100% it was my timing/footwork that caused my shanking on the ezone 100 and come to think of it it happened on all the sticks i played with lol plus it was quite a while when i tested the ezone 100 and have come a long long way since then:)

i was so hooked on the YPTP in my PD,s as it looks so cool and it played very very well but with owning my own stringer ive got lost in the world of strings and still am lol

all the best my friend

GarryClarke:cool:

Swan Song
03-17-2013, 10:36 PM
has anyone tried the poly tour spin and compared it with poly tour pro? (i know the spin is low powered), but i would like to know which do people prefer?
I tried both Poly Tour Pro and the Poly Tour Spin. The Spin is firmer than the Pro and has a more direct feel and provides more spin because it is a firmer string. Despite the muted feel, I like the Pro better because it had better power and more comfort.

MoShow
03-18-2013, 02:30 AM
Hi Guys,

Due to the positive report on stringforum.net about this string, I gave it a try. Strung the grayblack YPTP 1.25mm full bed 53/52 lbs in my Head YT IG MP.

Played about 10 hours with it now and I don't know what people are fuzzing about tension loss?! That thing is still firm in my racket...

About the string&mystyle: I play an allround game, but the outdoor clay season is getting to start here in Holland, so then I switch more to a baseline game, big hitting forehand and service, slice/spin backhand, and on occasion I'll end up at the net to finish points.
From a string I want clear feedback, power comfort, spin, bite, access to touch, just the whole package. Off course, this is an utopia, but with respect to the YPTP 1.25mm, it just performs average/good in all sections, and that is what I love about this string!! It is so mediocre in all sections, you can do everything with it, if you want to make average turn excellent, it is all about your own technique, so there is no way to blame this string. It is just like the Alu Power but then 100$ cheaper, I ordered 2 reels.

Thank you Yonex

Nostradamus
03-18-2013, 02:39 AM
Did you guys try the polytour spin ? if so, do you prefer this string over that one ?

Tennis Fanatic 070
05-16-2013, 09:00 AM
What tension did you string it at?

There are some that claim if you string Poly anything over 50 lbs that you can over-stretch it and it loses much of the characteristics people expect from poly. A number of threads on the this. John Youngblood of G&G is a staunch advocate of keeping poly tensions down for max playability. As an example- in a recent email we exchanged with regard to gut/poly hybrids- he says, "When it comes to polys the low end of the range on the frames can be ignored. Those ranges are intended for synthetics and gut...not polys. The maximum range a poly should be strung at is 52 pounds. The Babolat machine will overshoot on tension which is probably why you lost control at the higher tension. The poly may have been overstretched and killed as a result of being tensioned too high. With your Prince frame and either the MSV or WeissCANNON with the gut keep the polys at 48 and the gut at 52 or 53."

I play with the Yonex Polytour Pro for a year now, and I noticed that when you string it higher than 53 lbs, it loses tension way faster than when you string it <53 lbs (in my Babolat Pure Drive GT 2010 strung on a drop weight machine).
So I think Kahunas' post is dead on.

GarryClarke
05-17-2013, 08:31 AM
I play with the Yonex Polytour Pro for a year now, and I noticed that when you string it higher than 53 lbs, it loses tension way faster than when you string it <53 lbs (in my Babolat Pure Drive GT 2010 strung on a drop weight machine).
So I think Kahunas' post is dead on.

well lucky for me ive just strung my Ncode 6.1 95 18x20 @ 53/51 on a drop weight machine :)

ive used YPTP alot in my 2012 PD,s and i found 52/50 to be spot on for my game...

Tennis Fanatic 070
05-17-2013, 09:32 AM
well lucky for me ive just strung my Ncode 6.1 95 18x20 @ 53/51 on a drop weight machine :)

ive used YPTP alot in my 2012 PD,s and i found 52/50 to be spot on for my game...

In my opinion you should never go higher than 52 lbs with the PTP, especially if you string a racket with a 18 x 20 pattern.

I think the highlight of the Yonex PTP (besides the flash yellow colour) is the way it performs on ultra low tensions. Also, the durability is insane!! Can't beat the price/performance ratio of this string!!

GarryClarke
05-17-2013, 09:52 AM
In my opinion you should never go higher than 52 lbs with the PTP, especially if you string a racket with a 18 x 20 pattern.

I think the highlight of the Yonex PTP (besides the flash yellow colour) is the way it performs on ultra low tensions. Also, the durability is insane!! Can't beat the price/performance ratio of this string!!

ive got a few sets so im just experimenting with tensions with the wilson ncode 6.1 95 18x20 and if you look at suggested tensions for this stick with poly-gut-multi-syngut it will blow your mind lol

as already posted my PD,s played great @ 52/50 and i did go down to 44/42 and it was a rocket launcher:shock:

as for the flash yellow colour i luv it

Tennis Fanatic 070
05-17-2013, 05:16 PM
yeah I would never string it as low as 44 lbs, although for me the string is still very playable on this tension. I normally cut it out when the tension dropped below 35 lbs. My goal is to break the string before it reaches this tension, but that's easier said than done :)

Because I am a string breaker I use the 16 gauge version. I am considering switching to the 16L version though, because I think it might be durable enough.

Gary, I'm curious how many hours are you able to play with this string on a 18 x 20 pattern and what gauge do u use? And are you a string breaker or not?

GarryClarke
05-17-2013, 11:41 PM
yeah I would never string it as low as 44 lbs, although for me the string is still very playable on this tension. I normally cut it out when the tension dropped below 35 lbs. My goal is to break the string before it reaches this tension, but that's easier said than done :)

Because I am a string breaker I use the 16 gauge version. I am considering switching to the 16L version though, because I think it might be durable enough.

Gary, I'm curious how many hours are you able to play with this string on a 18 x 20 pattern and what gauge do u use? And are you a string breaker or not?

Hi TF

ive just recently (4-5 months) moved over to a 18x20 (gold/black Wilson blade 98) string pattern as due to patella tendon problems i just play mixed/mens club doubles now...

ive not used YPTP in the blade 98 so i cant help you on the durability and ive only just strung the 6.1 95 18x20 with the 1.25 version...

im not a string breaker but hit fairly hard either flat or with spin from both sides,i loved this string in the PD,s and should have stuck with it but thats the perils of owning your own stringing machine lol

im on court sunday morning for mens doubles and will have the 6.1 95 18x20 for it 1st proper outing with the YPTP 125,im hoping to get 8hrs+ from this string but thats just a guess at the moment but if you want me to update this thread then just let me no..

Tennis Fanatic 070
05-18-2013, 03:55 AM
Hi TF

ive just recently (4-5 months) moved over to a 18x20 (gold/black Wilson blade 98) string pattern as due to patella tendon problems i just play mixed/mens club doubles now...

ive not used YPTP in the blade 98 so i cant help you on the durability and ive only just strung the 6.1 95 18x20 with the 1.25 version...

im not a string breaker but hit fairly hard either flat or with spin from both sides,i loved this string in the PD,s and should have stuck with it but thats the perils of owning your own stringing machine lol

im on court sunday morning for mens doubles and will have the 6.1 95 18x20 for it 1st proper outing with the YPTP 125,im hoping to get 8hrs+ from this string but thats just a guess at the moment but if you want me to update this thread then just let me no..

Yes please update this tread if u want!

Are you going to play with the string until it breaks? Since I expect the 1.25 mm version to be almost as durable as the 1.30 mm, I think u should be able to get at least 25 hours out of it.

Thanks in advance and have fun with this fine string!!

Tennis Fanatic 070
05-19-2013, 04:40 AM
Can anyone tell me if the durability of the Yonex PTS 16L is the same as the PTP 16 L?

finalfantasy7
05-20-2013, 02:12 PM
just played with poly tour spin, liking it very much, slightly stiff but still pleasant unlike the ptp- couldn't get used to the muted feeling,

the pts jus lands in, with good pop

Tennis Fanatic 070
05-21-2013, 03:37 AM
just played with poly tour spin, liking it very much, slightly stiff but still pleasant unlike the ptp- couldn't get used to the muted feeling,

the pts jus lands in, with good pop

I'm going to test it soon. What tension did u use and which rakcet? Do you think it should be strung lower than the PTP because it's a underpowered string?

finalfantasy7
05-21-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm going to test it soon. What tension did u use and which rakcet? Do you think it should be strung lower than the PTP because it's a underpowered string?

I use a head prestige mid - my signature
When I used the ptp I had 48/52, but as the PTS was describe to me as stiffer (stiffer strings for me-I like 1 tension for mains/cross) I used 52lbs-PTS.

on stringsforum the ptp is considerably more powerful than PTS, as I've used two different tensions - I can't say.

Ive only used the PTS for 1hr - most likely gonna play 2mrow

Tennis Fanatic 070
05-22-2013, 05:46 AM
I use a head prestige mid - my signature
When I used the ptp I had 48/52, but as the PTS was describe to me as stiffer (stiffer strings for me-I like 1 tension for mains/cross) I used 52lbs-PTS.

on stringsforum the ptp is considerably more powerful than PTS, as I've used two different tensions - I can't say.

Ive only used the PTS for 1hr - most likely gonna play 2mrow

Did u have problems creating power on 52 lbs?

I'm also very curious to its durability compared to the PTP, so pls let me know when you have played enough hours with the string to judge it in that department as well.

finalfantasy7
05-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Did u have problems creating power on 52 lbs?

I'm also very curious to its durability compared to the PTP, so pls let me know when you have played enough hours with the string to judge it in that department as well.

Yesterday was too much much wind, coming from 12o'clock to 6- around 14mph winds,
I had no problem creating power from the string, my strokes are flat - but i dont think im a good player. Im the type of person who keeps strings in my racket 24-40max hours, as i generally only play 1-2 a week

Nojoke
05-23-2013, 11:00 AM
anyone use this in a hybrid as a cross with gut mains? Currently use co-focus, but always interested in learning about something that may be better. My one issue with co-focus is that over time the control suffers a bit when trying to flatten out the ball. Stays real strong for topspin, but just a little wild as it ages when trying to tee one up through the court.

THanks.

parasailing
05-23-2013, 09:27 PM
anyone use this in a hybrid as a cross with gut mains? Currently use co-focus, but always interested in learning about something that may be better. My one issue with co-focus is that over time the control suffers a bit when trying to flatten out the ball. Stays real strong for topspin, but just a little wild as it ages when trying to tee one up through the court.

THanks.

I had it as a cross but wasn't impressed with the performance. My biggest issue was that it felt muted and didn't really complement VS mains.