PDA

View Full Version : Super cheap amazing hybrid from gosen

DevilsChildXD
12-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Lmao i bet the title got you guys here =D But has anyone tried Gosen polylon yellow 17g for mains and gosen OG micro for crosses?? They sell these reels super cheap and i was wondering if this combination is any good?? Or something similar to this combo?? Help a kid out!! =P

Lambsscroll
12-05-2010, 05:37 AM
I've tried gosen OG sheep micro 16g in the mains with polylon ice (which is just the clear color) 17g in the cross and it works great. I get power and control. Once you find the right tension your good to go.

ace0001a
12-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Read someone here tried Gosen Polylon Ice 17 Mains with OG Micro 16 Crosses and said it played great. I haven't tried Polylon myself yet, but have been using OG Micro 16 as a cross with quite a few different polys with good results.

DevilsChildXD
12-05-2010, 01:34 PM
What tension do you guys usually string the mains and crosses??

THESEXPISTOL
12-05-2010, 01:38 PM
What tension do you guys usually string the mains and crosses??

Depends on the racquet..

DevilsChildXD
12-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Depends on the racquet..

Im using a blx pro open the recommened tension is like 53-63lb, head size 100sq inch, string pattern is 16 mains 19 crosses. What do you recommened Mr.Sexpistol?? =D

DevilsChildXD
12-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Anyone there?? =O

Larrysümmers
12-05-2010, 06:03 PM
no but i have used polylon and forten nylon :)

ace0001a
12-05-2010, 06:56 PM
no but i have used polylon and forten nylon :)

Yeah I've heard that is a very good cheap hybrid as well. I sometimes use Forten Nylon to hybrid with other budget polys because budget polys are usually stiff and since Forten Nylon is essentially like a really soft synthetic gut, it works great to balance out a budget stiff poly.

Ambivalent
12-05-2010, 09:23 PM
I have some polylon. I don't like it at all. It's really stiff and hard and basically what you would expect out of minimal prized polys. Also, does not hold tension well.

Larrysümmers
12-05-2010, 10:11 PM
I have some polylon. I don't like it at all. It's really stiff and hard and basically what you would expect out of minimal prized polys. Also, does not hold tension well.

Chuck it my way ;) yeah it is a first gen so it does suck after a couple matches for me. But I break it fast enough(17g) that I dont Mind. And I have a stringer so no big whoop

user92626
12-06-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm pretty fond of Polylon Ice 17. Currently I use ALU flouro 17 main and this polylon cross at 50# and I got tons of power and comfort. Previously I had kevlar main and this polylon, and was also great but I played too much...and kevlar isn't the most ideal to hit all day! So far none of the polylon has broken on me.

Go for it.

DevilsChildXD
12-06-2010, 12:11 AM
I'm pretty fond of Polylon Ice 17. Currently I use ALU flouro 17 main and this polylon cross at 50# and I got tons of power and comfort. Previously I had kevlar main and this polylon, and was also great but I played too much...and kevlar isn't the most ideal to hit all day! So far none of the polylon has broken on me.

Go for it.

Would you recommend putting the polylon in the mains??

sansaephanh
12-06-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm looknig for something to hybrid with super soft string. Do you think Gosen Polylon Natural 17g or any of them would good as mains?

CHOcobo
12-06-2010, 03:08 PM
is polylon ice 16 or 17 better for the cross with ogsm 17 in the main? or vice versa. anyone tried this yet? this will probably be my first hybrid.

ice 16 is getting better reviews.

Larrysümmers
12-06-2010, 08:36 PM
is polylon ice 16 or 17 better for the cross with ogsm 17 in the main? or vice versa. anyone tried this yet? this will probably be my first hybrid.

ice 16 is getting better reviews.

I felt like i got more control with the polylon in the mains.

DevilsChildXD
12-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Choco i think the polylon should be in the mains and og in the crosses =) I've decided to try out a PHT hybrid with og micro for crosses ahaha wish me luck just ordered me some from TW =D

CHOcobo
12-06-2010, 11:20 PM
really??? i read reviews, the polylons gives a dead playing characteristics compared to the ogsm. why put it on the mains while the main is where most of the string performance is coming from.

do you guys use polylon 17 or 16?

sansaephanh
12-06-2010, 11:37 PM
really??? i read reviews, the polylons gives a dead playing characteristics compared to the ogsm. why put it on the mains while the main is where most of the string performance is coming from.

So they can last longer. Mains are always the first to go, so people put durastrings in mains and complete feel in crosses.

ace0001a
12-07-2010, 12:00 AM

So they can last longer. Mains are always the first to go, so people put durastrings in mains and complete feel in crosses.

Yup, I prefer to have Poly in the mains for similar reasons too. I've tried Synthetic Gut in the mains with Poly in the cross and honesty didn't feel too much of the difference, but the polys would always quickly notch up the mains. When fresh, Poly doesn't really move and therefore keeping better spacing in the mains and arguably allowing more spin possibilty (though some would argue about that). In any case, even with a stiff poly like Polylon, once you cross it with a softer string like OGM, the feel softens up. Like I said before that things balance out when you hybrid. I like 17 guage poly mains and 16 guage synthetic crosses.

puck1230
12-07-2010, 12:03 AM
I used to string my POG with Ice 17 in the mains @52 and Micro 16 in the crosses @ 55. Switched over to Genesis black magic and something Spiral Flex in the same gauge and tension. It's not as cheap, but there's marginal improvement in power/feel/elbow. If you're looking for a nice crisp budget hybrid, there isn't much bad that can be said for ice/micro.

eleventeenth street
12-07-2010, 02:11 AM
i played with ice 17g in the mains and micro 17g in the crosses about a year ago on a wilson ktour 95. i didn't expect to like it much but enjoyed playing with that set up. tension maintenance was pretty poor, but it had good power, decent spin, and was really durable. though i tend to enjoy stiffer polys in an open pattern.

THESEXPISTOL
12-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Some Topspin Cyberflash in the mains and gosen micro in the crosses would be lovely... Is more expensive but it really pays out in the end..

ace0001a
12-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Some Topspin Cyberflash in the mains and gosen micro in the crosses would be lovely... Is more expensive but it really pays out in the end..

Yup, got that on one of my racquets now and it feels and plays great. I honestly think you could hybrid Gosen OG Micro with just about anything and get decent to really good results.

CHOcobo
12-07-2010, 09:57 AM
guess ill try ice 17 in the mains first (with ogsm 17)

since the ice looses too much tension how does 50/41 in a 90in^2 racket sound?

**EDIT** actually more like 46/40

user92626
12-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Would you recommend putting the polylon in the mains??

I have not tried and wouldn't know that set-up. However, it makes no sense according to my purpose/reasoning.

You should want to have performance string for main, such as powerful, textural/spin potential, durable, etc.

So I have tried kevlar, ALU flouro, synth gut for saving $$, etc.

You can tell the performance by how much they move and break.

The cross has the support role. It's gonna be consumed less. So I just need something cheap (good enough for its performance), smooth and sturdy, and polylon fits the role.

stoo
12-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I used to have Polyon in the mains at 58lbs and OG Sheep 16 in the crosses at 57lbs in my AG 200's and the combination worked great for me.

CHOcobo
12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I used to have Polyon in the mains at 58lbs and OG Sheep 16 in the crosses at 57lbs in my AG 200's and the combination worked great for me.

58/57?? shouldn't you feel a big a big difference in tension afterward since the polylon loses like 20lb while the ogsm lose 12. bad for the racket, no?

stoo
12-09-2010, 06:35 AM
58/57?? shouldn't you feel a big a big difference in tension afterward since the polylon loses like 20lb while the ogsm lose 12. bad for the racket, no?

I didn't notice hardly any tension loss, the strings lasted and played well a good while, and my frames are fine.

nwopat21
12-10-2010, 04:04 AM
Idk if playing only for 3 years competitively counts as a rookie... but i have not yet been versed much about strings. I assume the "mains" are the strings that go up and down and the crosses the opposite ? :) I have tried softer strings and i just dont like them, I play with the cheaper Gosen og 16 i think.... and after all the others, i just like that string. I re-string usually after 20 sets or when i feel they are "dead", i dont wait for them to break. But, after winning several tourneys and such, I have been moved to a 4.0 I just want to know the advantages of using two diff kinds or sets of strings for the mains and crosses ? Also, the diff between using a 16 or 17, i believe i was told the 16 is thinner and therefore will bite into the ball more ?? Anyone who has read a previous thread or can point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. If it matters, i play with the Babolat roddick gt plus... thx for reading my rant ! haha !

CHOcobo
12-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Idk if playing only for 3 years competitively counts as a rookie... but i have not yet been versed much about strings. I assume the "mains" are the strings that go up and down and the crosses the opposite ? :) I have tried softer strings and i just dont like them, I play with the cheaper Gosen og 16 i think.... and after all the others, i just like that string. I re-string usually after 20 sets or when i feel they are "dead", i dont wait for them to break. But, after winning several tourneys and such, I have been moved to a 4.0 I just want to know the advantages of using two diff kinds or sets of strings for the mains and crosses ? Also, the diff between using a 16 or 17, i believe i was told the 16 is thinner and therefore will bite into the ball more ?? Anyone who has read a previous thread or can point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. If it matters, i play with the Babolat roddick gt plus... thx for reading my rant ! haha !

yes that main strings goes up & down along and parallel with the racket and cross are the strings that crosses it (left & right). hybrid is using two different type of strings in one string job, as you know. but people do it for different reasons. you'll hear different things all the time. but for me i do this because im broke. strings on the main are the strings that will give you the most playing characteristic of your shots. if you like spin, but spin strings on the main, if you like powerful shots put power strings on your main. crosses are just there to support your main. your main strings is most likely to snap first because they move left & right as your cross string cuts them. so for durability put tough strings like poly on your main.

i put decent priced string on the main and cheap soft string on the crosses. im experimenting with cyberflash/polylon on the main and ogsm on the crosses at the moment, and planning to order the reels if they last and play well. there is no point of putting very expensive string on the crosses if it doesn't deliver as much zing to your shots as your mains. hope u know what im talking about on this one.

16 gauge strings are thicker than 17 gauge. just think the opposite of what your thinking. if going hybrid, thicker main strings will produce more spin and a tighter cross will improve spin as well. hope that helps.