PDA

View Full Version : Volk vs. Dunlop

emmanuel
12-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Hello everyone,

I would like to know about the Volk Powerbridge 10 Mid vs. Dunlop aerogel 4D 100.

How do they compare?

Thanks for your comments.

GameSetMatch
12-05-2010, 06:53 AM
They're both great racquets for higher level players with long, technically sound strokes.

The PB10 Mid is heavier, feels slightly more polarised with marginally more flex, whereas the 100 is slightly lighter and has a slightly more 'one piece' piece feel to it. Sweetspot wise, they play very similar despite the supposed 93 v 90 difference. Both are modern interpretations of classic thin beamed player's racquets.

Demo them both. It will be purely be a matter of personal preference as to which one you prefer.

emmanuel
12-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Thx for your comment.
Currently I am using AG100.
The specs of PB10 are very interesting for me, at least in paper.

Buckethead
12-05-2010, 07:38 AM
That is a given.
PB 10 by years light.
Any Volkl over any Dumlop.
I used to play with the Volkl DNX 10 mid and I demoed AG 100 in one of the times, and that is nothing comparing with the Volkl. The Power Bridge is slightly better than DNX 10.
But you should Demo it and find yourself.
Good luck

TimothyO
12-05-2010, 07:58 AM
I own both.

- both provide excellent control, the 100 providing more control

- both have good spin potential, the PB10 Mid having more spin potential

- both are comfy, the PB10 Mid being more comfy

- the PB10 Mid provides more power than the 100 but not excessive power

- the PB10 Mid offers far more stability and plough-through...on returns you can take very heavy balls and fire them back with confidence

If you want a scalpel-like racquet and are willing to sacrifice a little comfort and spin then go with the 4D 100.

If you want extraordinary comfort with better access to spin and can tame its slightly higher power then go with the PB10 Mid.

Of the two the PB10 Mid is now my go-to racquet which lives in my racquet bag while the 4D 100 has been retired to the laundry room rack. I love the 4D 100's laser-like precision but need the PB10 Mid's comfort and really enjoy its spin potential.

Another clincher for me is the PB10 Mid's AMAZING plough-through capability. While still being perfectly maneuverable (it plays far lighter than the mass would suggest) the PB10 Mid feels like a protective bunker when facing heavy balls. They just bounce right back but in a very controllable manner.

4D 100 = a rapier

PB10 Mid = a perfectly balanced broadsword

emmanuel
12-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Timothy, thanks a lot.
Great summary!

JackB1
12-05-2010, 08:45 AM
There are 2 totally different racquets. The PB10 is considerably easier to use, IMO and plays more like a 95. The AG 100 has a tiny tiny sweetspot and will frustrate you on off days. In short, the PB10 does everything the 100 does and more. All 2 PB10's are great great racquets...the Mif, MP and even the Lite as a tweener. All have that nice soft Volkl feel.

TimothyO
12-05-2010, 09:06 AM
The PB10 is considerably easier to use, IMO and plays more like a 95. The AG 100 has a tiny tiny sweetspot and will frustrate you on off days.

Jack makes another very good point.

I didn't really have a problem with the 100's sweet spot...on most days. :-)

But the PB10 Mid offers nearly the same control (and the same control if you can exploit its better spin potential) and it's far more forgiving.

I've made some real long stretch shots with the PB10 Mid where the ball impacted well towards the top of the hoop and it was still playable. And while certainly not nearly as soft as the middle of the string bed it didn't hurt my arm which is quite sensitive.

On any other racquet those shots are non-starters for me. But the PB10 Mid is so plush and forgiving I feel confident and safe from an arm-health perspective using a larger area of the SB when taking difficult stretch shots.

hoodjem
12-05-2010, 09:37 AM
I own both.

- both provide excellent control, the 100 providing more control

- both have good spin potential, the PB10 Mid having more spin potential

- both are comfy, the PB10 Mid being more comfy

- the PB10 Mid provides more power than the 100 but not excessive power

- the PB10 Mid offers far more stability and plough-through...on returns you can take very heavy balls and fire them back with confidence

If you want a scalpel-like racquet and are willing to sacrifice a little comfort and spin then go with the 4D 100.

If you want extraordinary comfort with better access to spin and can tame its slightly higher power then go with the PB10 Mid.

Of the two the PB10 Mid is now my go-to racquet which lives in my racquet bag while the 4D 100 has been retired to the laundry room rack. I love the 4D 100's laser-like precision but need the PB10 Mid's comfort and really enjoy its spin potential.

Another clincher for me is the PB10 Mid's AMAZING plough-through capability. While still being perfectly maneuverable (it plays far lighter than the mass would suggest) the PB10 Mid feels like a protective bunker when facing heavy balls. They just bounce right back but in a very controllable manner.

4D 100 = a rapier

PB10 Mid = a perfectly balanced broadswordI have not tried the Volkls, but Tim's comments on the AG100 are right on. It is a light-sabre.

hoodjem
12-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Would a C10 Pro give more spin, but with similar feel?

emmanuel
12-06-2010, 09:04 AM
I'd have guessed AG100 is more easier to use than PB10, because it has less weight and swingweith

TimothyO
12-06-2010, 10:05 AM
The AG 4D 100 is certainly more maneuverable. But to be effective you really need to focus on where you contact the string bed for best results. In that respect it's easier to use since you don't have to prepare as early. If the ball takes a funny bounce you can react quite easily. And it's like the Apache attack helicopter's chin-mounted autocannon slaved to the gunner's helmet: just look at your target and your rounds go exactly where you're looking! Total control! In some ways I wish I had started playing tennis with the 100 since it's SOOO much easier to control placement compared to so called "development racquets" which tend to launch balls IMO.

The PB10 Mid isn't as maneuverable and encourages (and mightily rewards!) early preparation. But if you're off a bit it doesn't matter as much. Its mass, string pattern (not number of strings but how they're laid out), and head shape combine to provide a surprisingly forgiving experience.

So if you have quick reaction times and excellent hand-eye coordination the 100 works great and really isn't hard to use.

But since nobody's perfect if you are off a bit the PB10 Mid gives you a larger margin for error while still providing roughly the same level of control (and certainly more comfort) if you can exploit its spin potential.

Against heavy balls the 100 won't be as stable as the PB10 mid. The PB10 is a solid wall against those high energy shots. As a noob I'm more intimidated by high velocity first serves when using the 100. I'm far more confident with the PB10 Mid since it feels like a solid shield I can "hide behind". :-)

If the 100 is a rapier and you're facing a mostly armored opponent it's still lethal as long as you find a gap in his armor. And it's light enough that you can respond rapidly to his movements. But if you're off a bit and hit armor then "forgiddaboutit".

But the PB10 Mid is your balanced broadsword. It's just as lethal hitting gaps in the armor, but if you miss a gap it will still do some serious damage. It's just not quite as responsive.

emmanuel
12-07-2010, 04:27 AM
And Dunlop 200 tour vs. PB 10 mid?

GameSetMatch
12-07-2010, 05:18 AM
There are 2 totally different racquets. The PB10 is considerably easier to use, IMO and plays more like a 95. The AG 100 has a tiny tiny sweetspot and will frustrate you on off days.

They're not totally different racquets at all, and the 100 doesn't have a 'tiny tiny sweetspot'. The 100 plays like a 95, and feels more solid and less flexy than the noticeably more polarised PB10 Mid. The PB10 Mid is heavier and offers more plow than the 100, but the 100 is still a solid hitting racquet IF you have the strokes. Neither racquet is for lower level players; that type of player isn't going to be able to manage either racquet.

TimothyO
12-07-2010, 05:29 AM
And Dunlop 200 tour vs. PB 10 mid?

I demoed the 200 tour since its specs looked similar to the PB10 Mid. It played like a less maneuverable and less forgiving version of the PB10 Mid without any benefit, so I saw no reason to change. In fact, even though the 200 tour has a slightly larger head I thought the PB10 Mid played FAR more comfy and forgiving than the 200 tour.

I can see how one might use both the 4D 100 and the PB10 Mid (I did for a while) since they both have very attractive and distinct qualities while being similar in control. They attain their similarly high levels of control through different means: the 100 through maneuverability and the PB10 Mid through stability and spin.

The 200 offers no real advantage over the 100 or PB10 imo. It's either an overweight 100 or less comfy PB10 Mid.

TheBoom
01-11-2011, 05:44 PM
How's the 100 to the k6.1?

sepidoel
03-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Found this thread by search engine.

Which one of those can bash 'neutral' ball harder?
And which one makes arm less tired after hard hitting session?