PDA

View Full Version : Gut mains with poly cross pros and cons

Laney Tennis
12-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I am testing out gut mains with a poly cross at 60m/57c using Klip Legend
16g and Cyber Flash 17L 1.20mm in a PS 6.0 85 SV. In this setup, the firm feel of the poly was kept and the gut mains added a lot of power and pop to it. 3 weeks into it after a bit of tension loss, the firm and powerful feel changed to one with more bite because the lowered tension allowed for more pocketing and the racquet became even more powerful. The SV with this setup is really addictive to play with. I'd like to hear from other people with opinions on their experiences with gut mains and poly cross, their likes and dislikes.

Steve Huff
12-10-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm using a gut/poly hybrid now. I've been happy so far. I use an 18g poly for the crosses and either Pacific or Klip gut. Cyberflash is a nice poly, but I prefer Pacific X Force 18. I've only used Solinco Tour Revolution for a few weeks in the crosses, but I've been impressed with it too.

McLovin
12-11-2010, 03:38 AM
I'm using a gut/poly hybrid now. I've been happy so far. I use an 18g poly for the crosses and either Pacific or Klip gut. Cyberflash is a nice poly, but I prefer Pacific X Force 18. I've only used Solinco Tour Revolution for a few weeks in the crosses, but I've been impressed with it too.

I'm curious what you think of the X Force. I had been using either Klip or Pacific mains w/ Concept Pure crosses, but switched to Poly Force Original crosses when I switched rackets (C10 Pro).

As far as the setup, I've been using this combo for 2 years now. There are no dislikes, other than the obvious cost, but since I string my own it is considerably less. I gave full poly a shot when I first changed frames, but after a month went back to the gut/poly combo. It just feels better, like baby bear's bed: Not too firm, not too soft. Just right.

Overheadsmash
12-11-2010, 09:56 AM
I just learned to string myself, and am going to do Babolat Tonic gut in the mains and am still deciding on a poly for the crosses. I'm thinking Lux BB Ace 18 which I like.

Any issues with putting 16g gut in the mains and 18g BB in the crosses? Do they both have to be the same gauge? Actually, it may be 15g. Still though - any issues?

Buddy
12-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I just learned to string myself, and am going to do Babolat Tonic gut in the mains and am still deciding on a poly for the crosses. I'm thinking Lux BB Ace 18 which I like.

Any issues with putting 16g gut in the mains and 18g BB in the crosses? Do they both have to be the same gauge? Actually, it may be 15g. Still though - any issues?
Shouldn't be an issue -- that is the beauty of stringing yourself. You can experiment with your strings (cost aside).

Don't Let It Bounce
12-15-2010, 11:26 AM
To those who have tried a variety of polys as crosses with gut mains: have you found any poly that saws through the gut mains noticeably more or noticeably less than other polys?

bsardana
12-15-2010, 02:59 PM

There are two things you need to watch out for when using 18g in crosses:

1) Tension loss
2) String movement (because of 1)

A 17g will hold the tension better than 18g - you can experiment with both to see which one works for you. Also, the cross tension is important. If you string your crosses in the range of (-2 lbs to -4 lbs) with respect to mains, you will notice string movement. The movement will be relatively less in 17g strings than 18g. At even tensions (main and crosses are at the same tension) or, with crosses +2 lbs than the mains, there appears to be less or no string movement. However, the string bed does not play the same as it does where crosses are lower than the mains.

Steve Huff
12-15-2010, 06:56 PM
The X Force 18 has a good feel when strung a little lower (less than 55 for my taste). My current setup, unfortunately, is a little stiff--Gut at 61/XForce at 57. I have gut/Solinco Tour Revolution 18 in my other frame (identical frame), and I've been impressed with it too. I'm not sure if it's the racket (Dunlop AG 500 Tour) or the string setup, but the sweetspot seems small compared to what I was expecting when I bought these frames. Next time, I'll string them at 60/55.

dolemite79
12-18-2010, 03:21 PM
im currently using tonic 16 in my mains prestreched at 5% strung at 56lbs and Proline 2 (black) 17 at56. Love it. Good combo of power and control on a PDR+

nvottennis
12-18-2010, 04:55 PM
con- poly dies and you have to cut it out :(