PDA

View Full Version : Forehand Dilemna: Life on the Westside

dbcontrol
06-09-2005, 02:20 AM
I am currently playing with an extreme western forehand, somewhere between a conventional western grip and continental. My coach has been nagging me to try and change to a western/ semi western grip. I dont no what to do! I've played with my extreme western for a long time now... Any advice? Should I change to the more common forehand swing, or try and improve my existing one? Also can anyone give me some examples of noteworthy pros who use an extreme western grip? Thanks

Kana Himezaki
06-09-2005, 06:24 AM
I believe a couple other people on the boards use an extreme western grip, too. I'm not sure what pros do, except Beratasegui. I think he faded from the scene, but I also think he beat Agassi in five sets. Forehand must've been extremely hard to handle.

How do you handle low balls with your current grip?

Do you really, really want to keep that level of topspin? Or do you still want topspin but be able to drive the ball? Your coach probably wants you to develop more versatility on court with a different grip.

Grimjack
06-09-2005, 06:31 AM
Also can anyone give me some examples of noteworthy pros who use an extreme western grip? Thanks

This should be fun.

Noelle
06-09-2005, 06:43 AM
You're using the Hawaiian grip, or a modified version of it. More info about it can be found in this thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=41831

Grimjack
06-09-2005, 06:52 AM
You're using the Hawaiian grip, or a modified version of it. More info about it can be found in this thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=41831

As I understand it, the Hawaiian is a continental turned upside down. db is midway between that and a true western. I suppose either "extreme western" or "mild Hawaiian" would be a reasonable description.

raftermania
06-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Westsiiiiiiiiide!

Very Western
06-09-2005, 04:07 PM
This should be fun.

As already mentioned, you may want to check out Alberto Beratasegui, also Sergei Bruguera, and (a little less extreme) Thomas Muster. If you stick around, maybe SpecialK will give you a 'brief' description of the techniques employed by these players.

Marius_Hancu
06-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Check my posting (#10) in this thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=34523

to see an excellent article by Dude**** on Usenet, on extreme grips, which I am quoting.

What he basically says is that any extreme grips require very demanding conditioning and preparation and that long term it would be better to switch to something more moderate.

Very Western
06-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Interesting article Marius.

I'm not sure who first coined the phrase "Tennis is a Game for Life", but I would wager that he didn't play with extreme grips.

thejackal
06-09-2005, 06:48 PM
That french site was hirlarious. Nice art I must say ;) . Somehow the guy doesnt look very credible to me. I get what he's trying to say, but among the "bad" FHs theres gotta be at least 20 slams won...

dbcontrol
06-09-2005, 10:30 PM
but see thats the thing: everyone always tells me that with my grip i should be getting mega-topspin, when in actual fact my topspin, although fairly strong, isn't all that great. I'm also able to drive the ball flat although not as easily as my peers u use a semi-western forehandwell, so i dont no what that says... My forehand also tends to land short unless im focusing exclusively on finishing high over my shoulder... In regard to pros using my grip I'm sure Nadal uses something like it, possibly more extreme though...