PDA

View Full Version : Current Injuries or Aliments from Tennis

Thanatos
06-09-2005, 04:50 AM
Just curious..what current injuries or aliments are you expereincing as a result of tennis. I play about 3-4 times a week and currently suffering from the issues:

1. Tennis elbow for the last 22 months.
2. Minor casuse of chin splints.
3. Blisters on my serving hand.
4. Spranged ankle that reoccurrs once in awhile.

gscone
06-09-2005, 04:58 AM
I've been bothered with an acute case of tennis elbow and a few blisters- nothing too troublesome.

GC

kevhen
06-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Minor lower back pain and occcasional feet (minor stress fractures in the heel) and knee soreness. These things flare up more if I play too much and forget to add extra padding to my shoes. Tennis has lots of pounding with all it's starts and stops. I have major callouses on the insides of my feet but no pain there. No upper body pains but have had occasional wrist and elbows pains 2-3 years ago and some times a sore shoulder from serving too hard before properly warmed up. I used to get blisters more when I was younger from not wearing tight enough shoes. I will change socks during tournaments to avoid getting blisters now. I drink lots of water and powerade to avoid cramping and heat stroke and have suffered from those things mildly in the past thanks to tennis. I also wear wristbands to absorb the sweat to help avoid getting blisters on my hands which I haven't gotten for years. I also try to take a day off before playing again to give the body and mind a day of rest. Usually play 2-3 times per week all year round.

Bungalo Bill
06-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Just curious..what current injuries or aliments are you expereincing as a result of tennis. I play about 3-4 times a week and currently suffering from the issues:

1. Tennis elbow for the last 22 months.
2. Minor casuse of chin splints.
3. Blisters on my serving hand.
4. Spranged ankle that reoccurrs once in awhile.

Wow, I am down to once a week. I wish I could hit everyday! most tennis elbow related issues are coming from improper technique. Something in your stroke is not right.

My common ailments at 46 years of age are:

1. Neck stiffness

2. Shoulder stiffness

3. Sensitive knees

4. Ankle stiffness and general aches and pains.

5. Lower back stiffness.

I have found something that has helped with the aging process tremendously. I have always believed in eating large amounts of fruits and vegetables but with todays American diet it is tough to do. So I purchased a Vitamix blender. This is the best thing I have ever done regarding my health. I just pop in a carrot, some cabbage, an apple, etc. and the blender liquifies this in seconds. The darn thing even makes fresh peanut butter for goodness sakes. It is so powerful you can make hot soup or ice cream if you wanted. I like the veggie juices with the pulp. Most of my general aches and pains have diminished since I have been using this machine and my energy? Wow.

The other thing I like is it is super easy to clean and blows away every juicer and blender on the market. If you are in the market for something like this - look no further.

TwistServe
06-09-2005, 12:12 PM
1.) Elbow pain for last month (not sure tennis elbow or golfers elbow) from using the PD+

BillH
06-09-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm going to be 52 on July 4th - I play 5 times per week in various drills and leagues. I had a ACL reconstruction 18 months ago and the knee feels great. I have had golfer's elbow off and on for the last couple of years and occasional Achilles tendonitis. However, last night my doubles partner and I ran into each other chasing a ball and I fell (all 200 lbs) on my hip. Talk about painful!. I'm pretty sore today, but I have a singles league match tonight so I hope to stretch out some and be able to run. Getting old ain't for sissies!

Kana Himezaki
06-09-2005, 01:51 PM
I've only been playing for three years, so...I haven't had much, even with daily practice.

A while ago, I thought I might have gotten tennis elbow, but it turned out to be nothing. After about a year or so I got two blisters on my right hand, right after I switched racquets. (Different company, grip structure, and the racquet grip was slightly too small for me, too) So just blisters. I'm in shape and do regular conditioning, so I'm hoping to avoid any muscle injuries or anything long lasting.

Chris Evert-Awful
06-09-2005, 02:50 PM
My shoulder has been killing me since I started playing in the spring. I've historically lifted heavy weights but of late can barely raise a ten pound dumbell above my head. I should probably attend to it in some way, but I can't be bothered.

akj27
06-09-2005, 03:12 PM
my wrist hurts really bad

pro_staff
06-09-2005, 08:29 PM
1. stiff neck
2. sore back
3. golfer's elbow
4. sprained wrist
5. blisters
6. leg cramp

goober
06-09-2005, 08:40 PM
currently recovering from tennis elbow.

Got over patellar tendinitis about 3 months ago. Also had wrist and shoulder injuries last year that were nontennis related.

Before age 30 I rarely got injured from sports. Now it is matter of time till the next lingering injury.

Thereallovebone
06-09-2005, 08:45 PM
currently recovering from tennis elbow.

Got over patellar tendinitis about 3 months ago. Also had wrist and shoulder injuries last year that were nontennis related.

Before age 30 I rarely got injured from sports. Now it is matter of time till the next lingering injury.

Same here, Goober. I NEVER got injured in my teens or 20's. Didn't appreciate it at the time.

Prince_of_Tennis
06-09-2005, 08:57 PM
1. Bad Knees - Left has tendonitis and clicks like crazy
2. Shoulder clicks/pops when I kick serve
3. Sprained ankle for the past month and a half from soccer

equinox
06-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Left Knee is unstable.
Shoulder needs lots warming up nowdays.

stc9357
06-10-2005, 05:13 AM
I feel sorry for all of you as of right now I'm as healthy as they come my body feels strong ( lifting weights) and I feel I could go play 5 matches in this 90 degree heat. For you old people take it easy and remember the glory days stay home and sit with the grandchildren maybe its time to put the sport you love to rest.

Grimjack
06-10-2005, 07:05 AM
34 and no real problems. I've been getting out for 5-setters (no matter what the score, we go five) with my regular partner 2 to 4 times a week on the hard courts.

My only danger area is an elbow that feels great right now, but has given me some trouble in the past. It's like a dormant volcano. For the most part, as long as I stick with heavy, flexy sticks, it seems to behave itself. No trouble with it since I abandoned the Great Babolat Experiment of 2003.

Bungalo Bill
06-10-2005, 12:01 PM
My shoulder has been killing me since I started playing in the spring. I've historically lifted heavy weights but of late can barely raise a ten pound dumbell above my head. I should probably attend to it in some way, but I can't be bothered.

You have to stop the shoulder stuff. The knees and the shoulders are very vulnerable areas for injury in tennis players.

A combination of weight lifting and tennis is murder on the shoulders. Anytime I help someone build a workout routine, very light weights are used for the shoulder region. The main area for strengthening is in the rotator cuff area and that requires very very light weight so you dont engage the larger muscles.

Flexibility is most important for the shoulder region along with rest.

I lift less then 10 pounds for the shoulder area and go higher in reps. If a woman next to me is pumping 20 pounds, there is no pride here.

Chris Evert-Awful
06-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the tips.
In the past, I've been so obsessed with developing my upper body, for purely cosmetic reasons, that I've forsaken the welfare of my joints.
Now, though, I'm too bulky to be fleet-of-foot on the court. So I'm moderating the weights and will definitely be doing the token lift thing with my shoulder.

papa
06-10-2005, 01:02 PM
I feel sorry for all of you as of right now I'm as healthy as they come my body feels strong ( lifting weights) and I feel I could go play 5 matches in this 90 degree heat. For you old people take it easy and remember the glory days stay home and sit with the grandchildren maybe its time to put the sport you love to rest.

Well screw that advice. Although I follow my grandchildren's activities closely (during our six months north), I'm not about to give it (tennis/golf) up for the rocking chair - and I suspect I'm older than you are. Hell, I'm older than most of the trees on my street.

Aches and pain, sure but I'll be da____ if thats going to slow me down. Do I take care of myself, yes but I don't baby myself either. I've been lucky because my weight has not varied 5 lbs in the last 50 years but I'm not into the junk food and have never been a on diet. Have a glass of wine every night, seldom more and I like a nice cold beer maybe once a month. Not a smoker and make sure I get my eight hours of sleep every night - know this is hard for a lot of people but you have to get your rest -- 10 - 6:30 works for me.

If have tennis elbow you can greatly improve that situation with a simple exercise - I make the "Tennis Elbow Exerciser" but you can make a similiar product yourself with basic materials. One of the keys to TE is to build up the muscles on the inside and outside of the elbow - golfers experience the problem on one side and tennis players on the other, generally that is. Do a search and you'll find instructions that I've written a couple of times in the past.

I also like BB's approach with the food and the juicer arrangement. Although I don't do this myself it seems to make sense and judging by what one hears it certainly "might" be a factor in reducing disease.

datsveryinterestin
06-13-2005, 09:44 PM
add me to the over 30 and now my body is breaking down group....

my whole right side is messed up:

plantar fasciitis ... usually only bothers me before and after i play...
right ankle... never really healed right after severe sprain
right achilles ... related to my ankle sprain.. scar tissue bothering it i think
right knee ... hurt this is a motorcycle spill... not too bad now though
right hamstring ... just pulled this muscle and it hurt like heck! taking weeks to heal... grrr! felt like i got shot in the leg... never would have happened in my 20s!
right rotator cuff... this was my major injury, but now it has subsided a bit and now is just a constant worry. my serve was my big weapon and now i am pretty much harmless! forcing me to work on other parts of my game.. though.

INJURIES suX! But since I am so anti-doctors... I haven't been to one for ANY of these problems.. I really have nobody to blame but myself.

Noelle
06-13-2005, 10:11 PM
I started playing tennis 11 months ago using a borrowed racquet which was two grip sizes too small for me. I still have a right ring finger injury from gripping the racquet too tightly those first few months, and on cold mornings the joints in that finger are stiff. (And I'm only 21! Oh, dear...)

In March I sprained my left ankle stepping on a ball, and I have the nagging feeling it will never be the same again. And in May my right wrist suddenly started hurting while I was using a computer mouse, so I moved the mouse to my left hand.

lanky
06-14-2005, 12:50 AM
Ive left tennis elbow, left carpal tunnel wrist, dodgy left knee since nasty fall on tennis court 4 years ago(put me outof game for 1 year-lots of damage).needless to say im a leftie.switched out of necessity to DBH backhand which helps but after thousands of practice balls still cant get it.Now beginning to get low back pain from I think the DBH.Where do I go from here?Im wondering whether to go back to my original style when junior 35 years ago of a simple sliced BH with the racquet doing the work.

kevhen
06-14-2005, 06:21 AM
"Hell, I'm older than most of the trees on my street." -Papa

Cool line.

Andres
06-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Shoulder luxations (15 in two years)
Now that i have my reconstructive surgery (now i'v got a 50% titanium shoulder), i'm hoping i won't suffer from my shoulder again.....

Thanatos
06-14-2005, 12:39 PM
The good thing about tennis and golf is that you can still play competitively till your late 60's.

troytennisbum
06-14-2005, 02:46 PM
I started playing tennis 11 months ago using a borrowed racquet which was two grip sizes too small for me. I still have a right ring finger injury from gripping the racquet too tightly those first few months, and on cold mornings the joints in that finger are stiff. (And I'm only 21! Oh, dear...)

In March I sprained my left ankle stepping on a ball, and I have the nagging feeling it will never be the same again. And in May my right wrist suddenly started hurting while I was using a computer mouse, so I moved the mouse to my left hand.

Your ring finger feels stiff on cold mornings after just doing that ????
At 21 yrs of age, that is really strange.

TwistServe
06-14-2005, 02:52 PM

I used to have shoulder problems when I first developed my kick serve. It lasted about 6-10 months but that was it. I haven't had much shoulder problems unless i want to crank out a big serve without warming up.

So maybe your muscles and joints just need to get used to the extra stress.

fist pump
06-14-2005, 05:20 PM
i got wrist problems right now .
in the past i had tennis elbow and left knee pain, and plantar fascitis.
this wrist problem is the worst as with the other problems i could still play well but with the wrist - its no go.

Noelle
06-14-2005, 05:22 PM
The joint was already probably very weak, since I injured it years ago playing basketball. The added stress of trying to hold on to a grip two sizes too small strained it a lot. I played through the discomfort and probably developed some scar tissue, which hampered the range of motion in the joint. Some days I couldn't even straighten out the finger without using my other hand to move it. (Ouch!)

I found my correct grip size in October, and the stiffness in my finger joint has lessened a lot. It also probably helped that I stopped gripping my racquet so tightly. :)

troytennisbum
06-15-2005, 02:48 PM
The joint was already probably very weak, since I injured it years ago playing basketball. The added stress of trying to hold on to a grip two sizes too small strained it a lot. I played through the discomfort and probably developed some scar tissue, which hampered the range of motion in the joint. Some days I couldn't even straighten out the finger without using my other hand to move it. (Ouch!)

I found my correct grip size in October, and the stiffness in my finger joint has lessened a lot. It also probably helped that I stopped gripping my racquet so tightly. :)

Gosh Noelle, you poor thing !
Please just be like very very carefull with that finger !!!

TheGreatBernie
06-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Me:

1. Sore lower back
2. Fingers hurt (not sure why, might be work related)

That's pretty much it.

GuyClinch
06-15-2005, 03:35 PM
My knees bother me. But I find that can be controlled with weight lifting, stretching and bike riding. Then again I am very casual player compared to most people on this board.

papa
06-15-2005, 05:02 PM
The good thing about tennis and golf is that you can still play competitively till your late 60's.

Thanks for adding the "late" just before 60's. Actually, one can play, and play better than you might even think, well into their 80's so actually I feel like a youngster at times.

Someone once said (and it kinda sums up my attitude) that my only regret in life might be that I'll die without having played enough tennis.

SageOfDeath
06-19-2005, 09:28 AM

is that normal???? I'm only 15 and on mornings my ring finger gets stiff.

Batoussai
07-27-2005, 03:59 AM
I torned my ligaments - not sure on the writing - in my left ankle. I'm 17 years old and I play 5 to 15 hours a week. Always with braces... It's really crap, can't play a single ball without my braces or it's surgery for me.

dunlo
07-27-2005, 04:26 AM
I had elbow 4 years ago when i hurt my left wrist and tried to play slice instead of double BH.It lasted 4 months and i have no problem since.
My left achilles ached a lot;it went away after picking a pair of Nike breath free 2's.
I am sure because i had the same pain when i tried a different shoe.
I feel great when i workout.

equinox
07-27-2005, 05:08 AM
Right now.

Left shoulder hurts.

eagle
07-27-2005, 05:40 AM
Hitting shoulder. Doctor advised I take Advil & stay away from tennis for a month. Did a number of shoulder rehab exercises at below link

http://www.orthop.washington.edu/uw/tabID__3376/ItemID__190/mid__10313/Articles/Default.aspx

It's all better now. Played 5 sets last weekend and luckily... no pain.

r,
eagle

AngeloDS
07-27-2005, 06:24 AM
Shoulder dislocation and relocation in a tournament (in my first round match, and then in my second round match yowsers).

Partially tore my right knee ligaments the beginning of this year when I went for a two-handed backhand. Was out for about 3-4 months (ouch :()

Scraped my knee a few times having to get low for volleys.

Sprained my ankle during districts (last year).

Haven't had tennis elbow or wrist problems ;). I have good form on my forehands and backhands, so it's all good there.

Bungalo Bill, or anyone I have a question on the footing for two-handed backhands. Awhile ago I was just recreationally/casually hitting with a friend went for a two-handed backhand and boom my knee just gave out from under me. Like it did when I partially tore my knee ligaments. It hurt so bad, I don't want to re-injur my knee ever again.

What can I do with my footing so I don't load weight into my right leg as much or twist it as much or whatever, but still maintain a good two-handed backhand.

devilish_duke
07-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Stiff fingers on my right hand, feels like I'm double jointed there or something.

Rehabbing a severe right ankle sprain (80-85%)

Left knee soreness

Right hip soreness

Right shoulder soreness

kevhen
07-27-2005, 06:41 AM
Currently feeling healthy and playing with no pains!

joe sch
07-27-2005, 07:11 AM
Bad hip from too many years of open stances and poor footwork.
The good news is that I have now learned to correct these problems in my old age ;)
Same applies to extreme strokes, grips and strings (poly & kevlar)
Tennis can be a game for life if played properly and in moderation :)

theace21
07-27-2005, 08:08 AM
Wow, I am down to once a week. I wish I could hit everyday! most tennis elbow related issues are coming from improper technique. Something in your stroke is not right.

My common ailments at 46 years of age are:

1. Neck stiffness

2. Shoulder stiffness

3. Sensitive knees

4. Ankle stiffness and general aches and pains.

5. Lower back stiffness.

I have found something that has helped with the aging process tremendously. I have always believed in eating large amounts of fruits and vegetables but with todays American diet it is tough to do. So I purchased a Vitamix blender. This is the best thing I have ever done regarding my health. I just pop in a carrot, some cabbage, an apple, etc. and the blender liquifies this in seconds. The darn thing even makes fresh peanut butter for goodness sakes. It is so powerful you can make hot soup or ice cream if you wanted. I like the veggie juices with the pulp. Most of my general aches and pains have diminished since I have been using this machine and my energy? Wow.

The other thing I like is it is super easy to clean and blows away every juicer and blender on the market. If you are in the market for something like this - look no further.

Bungalo, your list sounds like mine - 48 Friday, and I celebrate by having a MRI on my right knee Thursday. Until last week I was still playing 4-5 days a week, hitting singles. I can't serve hard for 2 out of 3 sets, but I got a couple of guys and one gal that love to drill and hit... I had not played golf in 15 years, and for kicks I went to the range last night. The lower back is killing me. It is tough getting old...

Ztalin
07-27-2005, 09:43 AM

Most likely a rotator cuff injury. HAVE IT CHECKED OUT. You don't want serious shoulder problems later in life.

simon
07-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Started playing just about a year ago and averaged 3-4 times/week for the full year (love the mild winters here). No injuries to speak of up until a month ago.

That's when my wrist started acting up and I've been off the courts for 4 weeks. It wasn't until today, actually, that it started feeling better.

samster
07-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Right Shoulder Tendinitis...needs ice after couple hours of tennis. :(

One of the posts above mentioned exercises for strengthening the shoulders; I think they are very helpful!

equinox
07-27-2005, 11:46 PM
New injury to report. :(

I was smashing 20+ overheads in a row when i started suffering neck pain.

Now i can't rotate or lay back my neck without pain.

I have to play friday night, saturday afternoon.

I may have to serve underarm and play back court.

Lol, Should look funny..the number one player in team serving underarm.

That makes the injury toll a bad left shoulder, bad neck, bad left knee, bad left ankle.

ahhhhhhhhhh.