PDA

View Full Version : One grip for return of serve?

mattm
06-09-2005, 05:07 AM
I was practicing last night and having trouble with my returns, I decided to try returning by holding the racket with a western forehand grip and hitting backhand returns (one handed) with the same side of the racket using the same grip. (no rotating the racket.) After a couple of minutes I started having really good luck with this set up, the extreme grips really seemed to force me to hit through my returns and not settle for a block, but I was also able to hit decent defensive returns as well. Anyone else tried something like this? What do people think of this way of returning serve? Thanks for your comments.

Kana Himezaki
06-09-2005, 06:14 AM
Generally, returners use a variety of grips.

Against hard servers, many just stick with continental both sides and chip it back deep. Others wait with their forehand grip, and move so that the ball will most likely favor the forehand said.

Western is another possibility. The FH Western grip can be used for backhands and forehands (obviously). It's just called a Strong Eastern on the backhand side.

If it works for you, use it. The contact zone is out in front more than other grips, which will be hard with hard hit serves. Also, hard flat serves will give you problems with hit into your body. But...they're hard for anyone.

Keep doing it, but keep in mind that it's going to be hard to put the topspin on it on many good serves. You'll be able to use the grip on both sides, but don't expect to keep any other advantages from the grip.

Rickson
06-09-2005, 06:42 AM
I use a mild semi western for return of serves and if it goes to my backhand side, I do a quick flip clockwise to continental during the takeback.

mattm
06-09-2005, 06:47 AM
I use a mild semi western for return of serves and if it goes to my backhand side, I do a quick flip clockwise to continental during the takeback.
That's how I've always done it as well, but my tendency is then to block/slice the backhand return and against good spinning serves, the backhand returns would float long. (sometimes really long.)

Carley1986
06-09-2005, 08:17 AM
What I do is use the normal semi-western forehand grip, and if the ball goes too fast on your backhand that you have no time to change it, just slice it back. But I have a 2 hander therefore most of the time it is easier to adjust to the backhand grip :D

TwistServe
06-09-2005, 08:22 AM
What I do is use the normal semi-western forehand grip, and if the ball goes too fast on your backhand that you have no time to change it, just slice it back. But I have a 2 hander therefore most of the time it is easier to adjust to the backhand grip :D

Hey nice avatar! Who is that chica?!? :)

Rickson
06-09-2005, 08:24 AM
I stand closer to the right on the deuce side than to the middle so if I get a serve down the middle to my backhand, I have to move toward it. If I have time to move to my left, I have time to flip my grip into continental.

alan-n
06-09-2005, 08:57 AM
I stick with continental to block back serves... switch to eastern BH or FH on takeback if there is time to drive the shot.

stc9357
06-09-2005, 09:40 AM
I use the continental to block serves back on the first serve then when the second serve comes I switch to my semi-western forehand grip and get ready to hit it!

equinox
06-10-2005, 04:27 AM
First serves i use continetal grip. I can hit slice backhand or forehand block big serves back into court.

Second serves i run around my backhand and hit off-forehands crosscourt.

Klippy
06-10-2005, 04:48 AM
that is exactly what i tried, mattm. works for me :)

Klippy
06-10-2005, 04:58 AM
i use an eastern/semi western grip and eastern one handed backhand though. i tried the western grip and i thought it worked quite well, but i prefer the eastern forehand.

ShooterMcMarco
06-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Hey nice avatar! Who is that chica?!? :)

i think thats herself.

Prince_of_Tennis
06-10-2005, 04:43 PM
i think thats herself.
if it is..."heyyyyyy!!!!" lol jk I have trouble returning one handed so I return with a two hander. Using my left arm to turn the racket it works for me.

Mahboob Khan
06-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Western forehand grip: Base knuckle of the index finger on the bottom panel i.e. panel number 5.

Eastern Backhand grip: Base knuckle of the index finger on top panel i.e. panel number 1.

In other words TOP for backhand; and bottom for western forehand! From w fh grip if you turn it around you are in an eastern BH grip. And this works on return of serve. Other tips:

-- Try to observe general tendencies of the server in deuce and ad courts. Does he serve more to the backhand; does he serve more out wide to the forehand; does he serve also in the body line. Obviously, if he serves more to the backhand, you should wait with the backhand grip.

-- However, if he tries to mix it up (keeping you guessing), then you ought to react early i.e. watch his upper body and toss, try to read the ball off his strings as he hits it and change to the relevant grip.

-- If you are able to read the ball early, and do some speed/reaction drills with your feet, you will have adequate time to change to relevant grip.