PDA

View Full Version : Quik fix for clamp slippage?

christian
04-20-2004, 07:20 PM
Does it work to glue sandpaper to the inside of the clamps to hold the string better to prevent string tension loss? What was the grit if you tried it?

Deuce
04-21-2004, 01:44 AM
Fold a $1 bill (or, if you've got more money than brains, a $20 bill), and put it between the string and the clamp. This will solve the slipping problem.

Others have said that business cards also work.

I've never tried the business cards, but I know the dollar bills work.

rich s
04-21-2004, 04:24 AM
Clean them with rubbing alcohol and a tooth brush.

cantaloupe
04-21-2004, 10:46 AM
sandpaper try 400 grit, and yes it does work.

An old school trick that was done on the old ektelons was to make vertical grooves in the clamp teeths. This is done by clamping piece of coarse sandpaper in the clamps, and pulling the sandpaper out from the clamps. This lef vertical grooves in the clamps and it does make a diference.

Deuce
04-21-2004, 09:38 PM
I'd much rather have a dollar bill squeezing my strings than sandpaper.

cantaloupe
04-21-2004, 11:57 PM
really? I think the sandpaper is ok as long as you use a fine grade like 400 above. It's basically like having diamond dusting in your clamps.

What would a dollar bill do anyway?

Deuce
04-22-2004, 12:19 AM
There's just something about the cottonny blend that grips really well. A friend of mine came up with the idea, and it worked great. We used it in the clamps, as well as the string gripper, which was also slipping.

Since you're in Canada, you can use Canadian Tire money. Honest - it's the same material. Give it a try.

passerofgasses
04-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Since you're in Canada, you can use Canadian Tire money. Honest

OMG. Crappy Tire money can be useful?!? Well, I mean other than a last ditch substitute for TP.

cantaloupe
04-24-2004, 09:21 AM
har har har......

at least we get money back when we buy stuff? What do u get?

passerofgasses
04-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Crap.

I guess we save money with it too. It's just that I can't take my eyeballs off the poor quality stuff that ends up in my house to notice enough. To parallel with the TWboard, I guess I see them as the Eagnas of the hardware store industry. They have a place, but you don't wanna live there.