PDA

View Full Version : String problems

pablobg
12-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi everybody!
I wanna ask you about the appropriate strings for me...
i have been playing for several years, i have enough control but not too much power because i'm a little skinny...
I play with a Wilson SixOne Team, 10.2qz/289gr. and 55 lbs/25 kg of string tension.
How much less tension should i get to hit with greater power, without losing control? 2lb, 4lb, ...?

Thank you! See you guys!

TheBoom
12-07-2010, 02:46 PM
53-56 for power but if you want to make your own power add lead. How do you feel the power level is now?

pablobg
12-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I used to play with a lot of top spin, i have to make a lot of effort to get very powered shots, specially with the forehand.
I think i should have 52-53lb, but i'm not sure, don't you think my actual tension is very high?
Thank you for answer so quickly, TheBoom!

kiteboard
12-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Lead it up, it's too light for any power.

Jonny S&V
12-07-2010, 02:56 PM
What do you string with normally? If you use full-poly, you might want to look into a hybrid. If you use a hybrid or full syngut/multi/nattygut, then I would look into dropping the tension.

mikeler
12-07-2010, 02:57 PM
What kind of strings do you use?

Mighty Matteo
12-07-2010, 03:02 PM
string 45. it will probably feel better and there will be a lot more pop!

pablobg
12-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Thank you everybody!
It's the first time i post here, and the welcome couldn't be better!

I bought the racquet last September with Wilson Enduro Tour 1.30 String. I got the economic strings, because i wanted to test the racquet before spend more money.
I'm not worried about the string type but the tension. Once i had the tension, may be i could look for advanced strings!

Jonny S&V
12-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Lead it up, it's too light for any power.

I don't think it's very smart to make such blanket statements as this.

mikeler
12-08-2010, 04:21 AM
Thank you everybody!
It's the first time i post here, and the welcome couldn't be better!

I bought the racquet last September with Wilson Enduro Tour 1.30 String. I got the economic strings, because i wanted to test the racquet before spend more money.
I'm not worried about the string type but the tension. Once i had the tension, may be i could look for advanced strings!

I'd worry about the string type before tension. You are using a poly which is a lower powered string. If you want greater power, a multifilament would probably fit your game better.

Speed Kat
12-08-2010, 04:30 AM
the six one team is quite head heavy so be carefull leading and dont just stick some at 3 9 and 12 or something because it will just end up taking your wrist right off. Also, your tension isnt that high.. 55 is descent for power if you want just reduce to 53 but thats it then leave it alone or your wonderful control you have may be affected. Then like many ppl say change your strings. The type of string makes BIG difference - much more than tension up or down a pound or two. For power if you dont have problem in your joints / elbow / shoulder try a popular poly string... doesnt have to be expensive just do your resewarch and see which ones have good reviews

Lambsscroll
12-08-2010, 04:34 AM
I have an easy fix. Just use this string. Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 16 String. You'll automatically get power, spin, feel and greater control from the feel and added spin. Use your normal tension.

pablobg
12-08-2010, 04:42 AM
I haven't ever tested different string types because i didn't think it would suppose a big change, but i have realized that it does.
Probably I'll test this kind of string type that you recommend, and get some lower tension, may be 53lb.
Sorry about my poor english and thank you for your collaboration!
If you have another recommendations, tell me please!

Speed Kat
12-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Yes pablobg Tecnifibre X1Biphase is a very good multifilament string.. mabye you can even just stick at your current tension of 55 no need to go to 53..

mikeler
12-08-2010, 05:08 AM
If you want a cheaper multifilament with good power try out Pro Supex Maxim Touch.

pablobg
12-08-2010, 07:14 AM
I think I test Tecnifibre strings with my actual tension, or maybe a little less...
Thank you guys!

Carolina Racquet
12-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Pablo...

You say you play with spin... do you play a baseline game primarily on a slower surface such as clay?

Maui19
12-08-2010, 07:29 AM
If you're looking for more power, lowering your tension will do far more than changing your string type. I have been experimenting with tensions as low as 30lbs (with stiff poly strings) and you definitely gain tons of power. There is a long thread about this in this string folder.

pablobg
12-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Pablo...

You say you play with spin... do you play a baseline game primarily on a slower surface such as clay?

Carolina, I play on an intermediate-speed hard court.

If you're looking for more power, lowering your tension will do far more than changing your string type. I have been experimenting with tensions as low as 30lbs (with stiff poly strings) and you definitely gain tons of power. There is a long thread about this in this string folder.

Thank you Maui, i'll check the thread as soon as I can. As you said, i thought lowering my tension a little, will give me more power. Also, I think I test the tecnifibre, that shouldn't be bad!

charliefedererer
12-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Hi everybody!
I wanna ask you about the appropriate strings for me...
i have been playing for several years, i have enough control but not too much power because i'm a little skinny...
I play with a Wilson SixOne Team, 10.2qz/289gr. and 55 lbs/25 kg of string tension.
How much less tension should i get to hit with greater power, without losing control? 2lb, 4lb, ...?

Thank you! See you guys!

You've had a lot of good advice so far.

If you've got the money, springing for a multifilament (or better yet, natural gut) will increase your power.

I like the idea you are only going to decrease the string tension by two pounds. You can always decrease by a little more next time, but too big a jump can mean having to make too big an adjustment in your swing to keep it in.

Your racquet is fairly light. If this is as heavy as you can easily swing, forget about the lead tape recommendations. But lead tape is really cheap, and you can not only add little bits at a time, you can easily remove it too. In fact you can even bring lead tape to the court and add and remove peices to test and see if you can swing just as fast with some lead tape on the racquet. Here is a good reference for where to potentially add it: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/customize.html

Softer strings like multifilament and natural gut along with a heavier frame (as long as you can easily swing it) transmit less shock to your arm, potentially letting you avoid the wrist, elbow and shoulder overuse injuries that bother many tennis players.

Are you sure you are getting a good leg pushoof and good body coil/uncoil into your strokes? That's usually the secret of power, rather than arm strength, strings or racquet.

Yet doing at least some strengthening exercises (pushups, pullups) can get you somewhat stronger. A more complete arm exercise regimen like the thrower's ten: http://www.asmi.org/SportsMed/throwing/thrower10.html can get your arm in better shape to do all the hitting it needs to develop the "muscle memory" of a faster swing.

Carolina Racquet
12-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Concerning low tension, check out this video from TW...

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/video/StringTension.html

pablobg
12-08-2010, 08:22 AM
You've had a lot of good advice so far.

I'm just shocked, It's impressive how many advices I've received in this short time!

If you've got the money, springing for a multifilament (or better yet, natural gut) will increase your power.

I like the idea you are only going to decrease the string tension by two pounds. You can always decrease by a little more next time, but too big a jump can mean having to make too big an adjustment in your swing to keep it in.

Your racquet is fairly light. If this is as heavy as you can easily swing, forget about the lead tape recommendations. But lead tape is really cheap, and you can not only add little bits at a time, you can easily remove it too. In fact you can even bring lead tape to the court and add and remove peices to test and see if you can swing just as fast with some lead tape on the racquet. Here is a good reference for where to potentially add it: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/customize.html

Softer strings like multifilament and natural gut along with a heavier frame (as long as you can easily swing it) transmit less shock to your arm, potentially letting you avoid the wrist, elbow and shoulder overuse injuries that bother many tennis players.

At first, I think I will test with less tension and Tecnifibre, and then, if things go well, I could test lead tape.

Are you sure you are getting a good leg pushoof and good body coil/uncoil into your strokes? That's usually the secret of power, rather than arm strength, strings or racquet.

Yet doing at least some strengthening exercises (pushups, pullups) can get you somewhat stronger. A more complete arm exercise regimen like the thrower's ten: http://www.asmi.org/SportsMed/throwing/thrower10.html can get your arm in better shape to do all the hitting it needs to develop the "muscle memory" of a faster swing.

This is one of the aspects I am putting a lot of effort in: leg work and hitting the ball sooner and a little bit flatter. I'll check the exercises in the link. Thank you so much!