PDA

View Full Version : First time Gut (sort of)

-Bobo-
12-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Bought some Performaxx Touch 16 after reading pvaudio's review of the other guages. Haven't used gut in...wow more than 10 years, anywho didn't play for a long time and when i came back to the game a year ago started with poly so i can't even remember how it feels and no clue as to what i used to use and at what tenision.

After i sorted my technique i started using the blx tour 90 with full poly in it ranging from 47-52 depending on gauge and how long the string holds tension. I think however that i like the tension quite a bit lower not so much for power but for my arm (had a couple issues with the arm), arm's been good lately but took a while off of playing and when i came back my timing was a bit off and that caused some minor pain.

As far as my game goes it's big and flat except for on the serve where i like spin as my kick is at my usual hitting's partners head and he's 6'5.

With that in mind two questions should i go with a hybrid or full gut, and in either case what tension should i be stringing at?

Forgot to mention if i do hybrid the gut will go in the mains and chances are i will be using weiscannon silverstring 1.20 for the cross.

cheers,

Bobo

Kevo
12-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I'd try the hybrid first since it will probably be a little better for spin, and it should save you a little money as well.

-Bobo-
12-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Hrmm yeah i suppose but wouldn't the poly die a lot quicker than the gut?

I doubt i would have enough to put the gut in the mains twice.