PDA

View Full Version : Decided to tighten my budget.

kevoT
12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
You can see in my sig what strings i'm using and I was wondering what strings you could recommend me for the mains? I've already chosen OG-sheep mirco 16 for my crosses.

I'm looking for a string that is a spin string (preferably poly, but others are welcome) which can retain tension well.

What do you think if I put OG-sheep Micro 17 as a full bed? would this give me enough spin potential as well as touch when I go to the net?

P.S. I'm primarily a baseliner that likes to hit hard and go up to the net when I get the chance or have to (big server too).

Nothing too expensive!

springfieldalum
12-08-2010, 01:34 PM
OC-Sheep Micro 17 in a full bed isn't too bad but I haven't had real good luck at it keeping it's tension, but I'm a hard hitter. I think the natural plays better than the white color. I have been using a string job with Babolat Hurricane 18 in the mains and OC Sheep Micro 17 in the crosses and it works pretty good. The Hurricane keeps the Gosen in check and you can string up the Hurricane tighter than some polys and it doesn't hurt your arm. I can keep this in my racquet for awhile and it seems to hold pretty well.

mikeler
12-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Big Ace is a good cheap poly for your mains. It lasts awhile too.

Bigsy
12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
I've just switched from blackcode to pro's pro blackout as customers I was stringing for were saying how much they liked it.

I bought a whole reel for 25 (dirt cheap) as I knew loads of people would want a black hex poly at the club it now being all the rage and didn't want to spend much... so I didn't think it would play that well, but it does, it's great. In fact I can't tell it apart from blackcode at all and that's using it back to back, looks and feels identical when you string it too.

Maui19
12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I just bought 3 packages of Signum Tornado for about $8.50 per package (it is much cheaper in the UK for some reason even if you're shipping it back to the US) I play Tornado in my mains and OG sheep in my crosses and it is a really good combination.

Carolina Racquet
12-08-2010, 03:12 PM
If you're on a budget, I might suggest Big Hitter Blue Rough 17. It's pretty soft and provides nice spin.

If you like it, buy a reel of BHBR and a reel of the Gosen OG 16 and you'll be under $5 total string cost for each racquet. Your budget will like that.

coolblue123
12-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Some that you may want to try:
Golden Set Snake Bit. (I heard some comparing it to RPM)
Personally, I played with Wess Cannon's Scorpion. Its a good powered string that has good pocketing and spin.

Both strings are under $10 i believe.

skraggle
12-08-2010, 11:50 PM
You can see in my sig what strings i'm using and I was wondering what strings you could recommend me for the mains? I've already chosen OG-sheep mirco 16 for my crosses.

I'm looking for a string that is a spin string (preferably poly, but others are welcome) which can retain tension well.

What do you think if I put OG-sheep Micro 17 as a full bed? would this give me enough spin potential as well as touch when I go to the net?

P.S. I'm primarily a baseliner that likes to hit hard and go up to the net when I get the chance or have to (big server too).

Nothing too expensive!

I play a full bed of Gosen OG Micro 17 Natural in my 18x20 M-Fil sticks, and it's great at 55 lbs. I've also tried it in 16x18 patterns, but it moves more and doesn't work quite as well.

A great and CHEAP hybrid is Gosen Polylon 17 mains and OG Micro 17 crosses. Plenty of spin, good durability, about the price of a Big Mac and fries if you buy them in reels.

Bud
12-09-2010, 01:13 AM

Nothing too expensive!

Isospeed Baseline is my choice for a decent, inexpensive poly.

0d1n
12-09-2010, 01:39 AM
I play a full bed of Gosen OG Micro 17 Natural in my 18x20 M-Fil sticks, and it's great at 55 lbs. I've also tried it in 16x18 patterns, but it moves more and doesn't work quite as well.

A great and CHEAP hybrid is Gosen Polylon 17 mains and OG Micro 17 crosses. Plenty of spin, good durability, about the price of a Big Mac and fries if you buy them in reels.

Yeh, great strings for 18x20 patterns. I was using them as well. If you string yourself it's great.
Otherwise they were breaking slightly too fast for me when playing against players who thumped the ball.

DrpShot!
12-09-2010, 05:17 AM
If you're on a budget, I might suggest Big Hitter Blue Rough 17. It's pretty soft and provides nice spin.

If you like it, buy a reel of BHBR and a reel of the Gosen OG 16 and you'll be under $5 total string cost for each racquet. Your budget will like that.

What they said. Mixing BHBR with QuasiGut gives alot of power, regular syn gut like Gosen OG will give more control.

THESEXPISTOL
12-09-2010, 07:18 AM
I've just switched from blackcode to pro's pro blackout as customers I was stringing for were saying how much they liked it.

I bought a whole reel for 25 (dirt cheap) as I knew loads of people would want a black hex poly at the club it now being all the rage and didn't want to spend much... so I didn't think it would play that well, but it does, it's great. In fact I can't tell it apart from blackcode at all and that's using it back to back, looks and feels identical when you string it too.

Listen to this man!

nickarnold2000
12-09-2010, 07:27 AM
I just bought 3 packages of Signum Tornado for about $8.50 per package (it is much cheaper in the UK for some reason even if you're shipping it back to the US) I play Tornado in my mains and OG sheep in my crosses and it is a really good combination.
That's really weird with the big price difference. I picked up a reel of Tornado for $75 US!

kiteboard
12-09-2010, 07:27 AM
blue gear ultra at $100/reel.

badkitty
12-09-2010, 09:04 PM
I use Signum Pro Poly-Plasma 17L in the mains and Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Spiral Flex 16 in the crosses. This gives pretty good playability without breaking the bank.

I was using Gosen OG sheep micro 17 in the crosses but these broke well before the poly mains went dead.

verbouge
12-10-2010, 05:15 AM
Genesis Typhoon, Heptonic, and Hexonic are all reasonably priced, outstanding strings.

I think I'm a Typhoon guy, though I like them all.

Good luck. The sheer volume of strings and opinions out there can be dizzying.

rudester
12-10-2010, 06:09 AM
+1 for Genesis